HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't give up on Leblanc

Old
06-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

vCash: 500
I saw him play for real once last year, it was at the Bell Centre maybe even some people here were there. He did not impressed me but I already knew before the game that he was injured. He needs to work on a few things and he could be back within months with le CH (skating and his lack of intensity are the two firsts that come to my mind).

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Leblanc has been solid and successful every year of his career except for last year. Why don't we wait to see if last year was an outlier or a trend before we write him off, because all other evidence suggests he can be a solid 2nd/3rd line NHLer. I think fans are often too quick to judge based on the most recent season, whereas its often best to look at a player's career to predict future performance.

Maybe I'm wrong and Leblanc will bust, but I don't think that one bad season will be the cause.
Around here if a player has one bad year...

Everyone loses their minds.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Mandala

Leblanc is a player with character. I will always remember how intense he played at the NHL level for the Habs... almost no smile all focus. If the injury he got gets cured I expect him to be an NHL player.

Mandala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
So your argument is don't give up on him because there others drafted around him suck too?

Maybe what you're trying to say is temper our expectations.

He just needs to get stronger. Two-way players with good hockey sense shouldn't have to take 3-4 years to make an impact in the minors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his injury; but to me we're just grasping at straws to come up with some excuse. Maybe he's just not that good.
agreed no reason why he cant be a Shaw , Kruger type for us like the Hawks
legit top 9

he was not ready to play in 2 years , got injured , etc..

our bottom 6 is weak , I see him filling a role with Prust

no way u give up on him

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
Just comparing Leblanc to guys who were taken near his draft position:

NHL Totals Gms G A Pts PIM

18 Montreal Louis Leblanc 42 5 5 10 28
19 NY Rangers Chris Kreider C 23 2 1 3 6
20 New Jersey Jacob Josefson 91 6 16 22 14
22 Vancouver Jordan Schroeder 31 3 6 9 4
24 Washington Marcus Johansson 183 33 62 95 22
25 Boston Jordan Caron 88 11 14 25 24
26 Anaheim Kyle Palmieri 70 15 14 29 15
27 Carolina Philippe Paradis No Games
29 Tampa Bay Carter Ashton 15 0 0 0 13

Outside of Johansson, none of the other players stand out. Kreider and Palmieri have shown flashes and Caron is sitting on the bench with Boston.

I saw a game in the Q - Montreal vs. Shawinigan Leblanc vs. Bournival and LL was on fire. (Bournival was 1st star) He can play great two-way hockey and can be a 2nd line player in 2-3 years.

He's only 22.
Somehow I think the whole 'guys drafted behind him aren't doing well' argument isn't a wise one to make.

Maybe the injury wrecked him. Maybe he was never that great to begin with. I hope he turns it around but at this point I have no expectations on anything from him. I learned that lesson with David Fischer...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed no reason why he cant be a Shaw , Kruger type for us like the Hawks
legit top 9

he was not ready to play in 2 years , got injured , etc..

our bottom 6 is weak , I see him filling a role with Prust

no way u give up on him
I wouldnt mind him being on the third line next year

Prust-Chuckie-Leblanc

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Somehow I think the whole 'guys drafted behind him aren't doing well' argument isn't a wise one to make.

Maybe the injury wrecked him. Maybe he was never that great to begin with. I hope he turns it around but at this point I have no expectations on anything from him. I learned that lesson with David Fischer...
That's unfair. Fischer was a zero. I would have preferred that the Habs drafted Kreider because he seemed to fill their needs a bit better,.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Well at least it isn't the AK...he isn't as good as Carter or Getzlaf thing.

2009 wasn't a graet draft so it's not like we missed on a big star if LeBlanc ends up as the next Chris Kelly or Glencross.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:17 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Well at least it isn't the AK...he isn't as good as Carter or Getzlaf thing.

2009 wasn't a graet draft so it's not like we missed on a big star if LeBlanc ends up as the next Chris Kelly or Glencross.
Actually if Leblanc plays as well as Kelly or Glencross, I would be happy. The ankle injury hampered him all of last season, I hope it's completely healed when he comes back. It will be interesting to see if Kristo joins Louis on a line, they played well together for the Omaha Lancers. They seemed to have a bit of chemistry playing there, I'm trying to remember the 3rd player on the line's name. He was a PWF and was drafted also, he's a big kid and will probably play in the NHL too.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
habtastic

With that much talent and a great hockey mind, do NOT count this guy out. I have full confidence in him. Setbacks are setbacks, he is in no way like other disasters we've had, he simply needs to recover from the injury/fallout from it and get back to the guy who played half the season with us and tbh was one of our better players. I really think it won't be long before people start saying stuff like "our core is Subban, Price, Chucky, Tinordi, Gallagher and Leblanc."

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:23 AM
MasterD

I've personnally pretty much given up on him for a while now.. even during his stint here 2 years ago I didn't like him.

I'm not saying he won't play in the NHL, he might make it... but he'll never be worthy of a 1st round pick in my mind. He was brought in saying he was a super smart, quick player who didn't mind playing gritty and going in traffic, but to me he looked like a scared, perimeter player with no great skill. He's probably very smart given the schooling he's done, that doesn't give him great on ice vision or passing ability.

If a good offer came up, I'd trade him.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:39 AM
DAChampion

Some of you have an irrational expectation that every first rounder must turn into an impact player.

That is not how things work.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:59 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
With that much talent and a great hockey mind, do NOT count this guy out. I have full confidence in him. Setbacks are setbacks, he is in no way like other disasters we've had, he simply needs to recover from the injury/fallout from it and get back to the guy who played half the season with us and tbh was one of our better players. I really think it won't be long before people start saying stuff like "our core is Subban, Price, Chucky, Tinordi, Gallagher and Leblanc."
That is a bold statement. It leapfrogs him ahead of Pacioretty and Eller. If he rises above those guys, it will be an amazing development. Any Habs fan would be crazy not to wish for that to happen but I think it is a longshot.

Personally, I would be very happy if he developed into a solid 3rd line player but even that is going to be a challenge for him when you see rest of the players in the organization.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Some of you have an irrational expectation that every first rounder must turn into an impact player.

That is not how things work.
Of course they don't all become impact players. Thing is, impact players are what this team needs. Fringe 3rd-4th liners with no physicality is what this team DOESN'T need at this point...

Old
06-15-2013, 10:32 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Of course they don't all become impact players. Thing is, impact players are what this team needs. Fringe 3rd-4th liners with no physicality is what this team DOESN'T need at this point...
I agree, but we can't lament that we don't have a 1.000 batting average with 1st round picks, it's irrational.

When Leblanc was drafted, it was thought he could become an effective, two-way, 2nd line center, a Plekanec-type player, a reasonable ceiling for an 18th overall selection. It didn't work out, ok, whatever, not every pick does.

Leblanc was preceded by the McDonagh and Pacioretty picks, and succeeded by the Tinordi and Beaulieu picks.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:57 AM
MasterD

That's besides the point though. This thread is about Leblanc. Leblanc, while he still has a long shot chance at becoming a 3rd line NHLer looks more and more like a bust... Yes, 1st round busts happen, no one expects 100% success with our picks, but we're allowed to wish for the best.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:47 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
That is a bold statement. It leapfrogs him ahead of Pacioretty and Eller. If he rises above those guys, it will be an amazing development. Any Habs fan would be crazy not to wish for that to happen but I think it is a longshot.

Personally, I would be very happy if he developed into a solid 3rd line player but even that is going to be a challenge for him when you see rest of the players in the organization.
My bad, I just didn't include them in there cuz I ironically think the world of them as already developed players (I am and always have been a HUGE Eller fan - a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon this year), not to say I don't of PK. Just mental mistake.

Yes, it is bold to say that, but I really think in the future, like 4-5 years, not 2-3 years, Leblanc will be established in his role and will be effective in a Plekanec way (who is my favourite player because he's so cerebral and works his ass off for the CH). I know that's making it sound like he'll develop too late, but better late than never and I'm being conservative. Might be sooner than that.

I don't think he will have a problem on the wing and if he does end up being our 3rd line C, he will be one of the best within our very deep team. I've watched him a lot, even through the tough times and I see a player who really just needs to get over a hump. Pacioretty had so much hype after that exhibition goal against Det yeaaaars ago, and then turned into a "bust". People say nobody called McDo and Patches busts, but they did. A LOT! Then Patches just blew us away last year (and despite his ****** season IMO this year, did manage some sizeable pity points). Granted, Patches did very well in the AHL and that's the REASON for his turnaround, but LL had a legitimately difficult injury. There's no way for me to justify him 100% becoming a very solid NHLer except that I see things in him that, for example, I see in a guy like Toews. I know that sounds crazy and they'll never be on the same level, but LL has the character and determination to make himself better and I truly believe it will happen.

Quote:
That's besides the point though. This thread is about Leblanc. Leblanc, while he still has a long shot chance at becoming a 3rd line NHLer looks more and more like a bust... Yes, 1st round busts happen, no one expects 100% success with our picks, but we're allowed to wish for the best.
More and more because of one bad season. Consider the half year he spent with the last place Habs when we went from "LL is at most 3rd line center" to "This guy has top 6 potential" -- things can change quickly and we should really give the situation more time to develop. I would be crushed if we did something stupid like traded him away. Would be a huge huge mistake for the organization. I do agree that we did invest a very valuable pick in him, though. Thankfully, I think he'll pan out very well.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:05 PM
MasterD

I never thought he would become a 2nd line player... I just didn't see the fire in his eyes I guess. He reminded me of Tom Pyatt more than anything. I'd be surprised if he ever got more than 30 points in the NHL... he's not physically dominant, not a great passer, has an average shot for an NHL player, doesn't drive the net...

He's not BAD either, just isn't very good at anything to me.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The ankle injury hampered him all of last season, I hope it's completely healed when he comes back. It will be interesting to see if Kristo joins Louis on a line, they played well together for the Omaha Lancers. They seemed to have a bit of chemistry playing there, I'm trying to remember the 3rd player on the line's name. He was a PWF and was drafted also, he's a big kid and will probably play in the NHL too.
Do you have a link where it says Leblanc was hampered by the ankle all of last season? Not saying it wasn't the case, but I noticed later in the season he was moving much better so I would be interested to hear if it was still bothering him at that point or not. Not that it matters, last season was what it was, no matter what the cause i'm sure Leblanc knows full well that he has to be much better going forward. Will be very interesting to see how it goes for him.

Since Kristo is mainly a RW (he can play LW but rarely did so in his 4 years at North Dakota) and Leblanc seems to be mainly a RW so I wouldn't expect to see them on the same line although Kristo does often play the point on the PP so they could end up on the same PP if the coaching staff wants to use Kristo on the point as he is an excellent passer but doesn't have the booming shot and it's risky in terms of defensive coverage although his speed usually keeps him from getting beat back to the net as not many are going to be faster.

I'd have to check my notes from the 3 USHL games I saw in '08 but I believe it was Pat Mullane who was on their wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
With that much talent and a great hockey mind, do NOT count this guy out. I have full confidence in him.
It would be silly to count out a 1st round draft pick just because of one bad season, although as bad of a season as it was, I can certainly see why others would give up on him. It will be very interesting to watch how he responds to next season, especially if it were to end up another tough season in Hamilton on the whole, with a same coaching staff and possible very young defense core again.

Granted we don't know what changes will be made, as a huge Hamilton fan one things for sure for AHL fans and that is change as there's always at least several different bodies in the lineup the next season if not more. Perhaps management will look at the situation in Hamilton and opt to bring in some quality vets to help not just with Leblanc but with what should be a high number of rookie and 2nd year players on the team, this time surround them with several vets.

I just hope Leblanc works out hard this summer, shows up to camp ready to fight back and show that last season was a bump in the road and not the downward spiral to his hockey career. For me he's got to find a way to get quicker, improve his lower body strength and go back to being the player he was, one that is very good along the boards as well as in his own end, goes to the net and has the hands to put the puck in the net consistently. I will say that after watching him since his draft year, I like what I've seen from him up until this past season and expect him to get back on track but now I have big concerns that he will end up being an effective NHLer with the Habs down the road.

Quote:
I've personnally pretty much given up on him for a while now.. even during his stint here 2 years ago I didn't like him.

I'm not saying he won't play in the NHL, he might make it... but he'll never be worthy of a 1st round pick in my mind. He was brought in saying he was a super smart, quick player who didn't mind playing gritty and going in traffic, but to me he looked like a scared, perimeter player with no great skill. He's probably very smart given the schooling he's done, that doesn't give him great on ice vision or passing ability.

If a good offer came up, I'd trade him.
I can see why some would give up on him as his skating isn't very good imo (although I'd love to see how he would look with much improved lower body strength), he's not overly fast, he doesn't appear to be very strong both upper or lower body. That said in the past I've noticed a high compete level and a smart hockey player, one with good hands and a willingness to get his nose dirty. I've never really thought of him as someone that looked like they were playing scared and I don't think he's a perimeter player either.

To trade him now would be stupid since his value has to be at an all time low so what would be the point since they can give him a year to show something in the AHL and the another training camp before they would need to decide what to do with him since he would then have to clear waivers to play in the AHL. The upside to trading him now should be little after the bad season he just had, but if he gets back on track he could end up being a decent depth forward or more perhaps.

For me, after he's had one good year in the AHL and one bad, he's shown enough to warrant another shot in Hamilton and go from there to see how he responds. The Habs have been burned badly on mis-management of it's young assets, now they need to be smarter then they were in the past and properly evaluate their prospects and not give up on them too quickly.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote