HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Howard Berger: Leafs may look to acquire Clarkson's rights

Old
06-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Jerzey Devil

vCash: 500
I'd take the 5th.

Jerzey Devil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Pi

I'd love Clarkson on the Leafs. Get rid of the crap that is MacArthur and replace him with Clarkson.

Clarkson is worth about ~4.5M IMO...that's only 1.25M more than what MacArthur makes.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Devils fans, what would you handicap the likelihood of him signing for less than $5M? 5%?

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Jerzey Devil

Honestly Clarkson could end up taking a hometown discount with Toronto. I think he's worth 4 per at the most and I think if he signs for 5 or 6 years in TO it could be a just that. He seems like a pretty great guy off the ice.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzey Devil View Post
Honestly Clarkson could end up taking a hometown discount with Toronto. I think he's worth 4 per at the most and I think if he signs for 5 or 6 years in TO it could be a just that. He's a pretty great guy off the ice.
Clarkson is not taking a hometown discount with anyone on the only big contract of his career.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:08 AM
CellarDweller0

If it openly known that he wants to go to TOR then who's to say he won't sign for less? I mean, you don't really put that out there just to weaken your bargaining position.

CellarDweller0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
If it openly known that he wants to go to TOR then who's to say he won't sign for less? I mean, you don't really put that out there just to weaken your bargaining position.
It's openly rumored, which is not the same thing as openly known.

This is the one - and only - big payday Clarkson is ever going to get. He's not taking a discount on it. Wherever he goes, they'll pay a premium for him, whether that be New Jersey, Toronto, or somewhere else.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Don't want. Don't need.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Woll Smoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
Don't want. Don't need.
Feeling the same way.

Especially at 4.5+ mil. Don't see the incentive

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Feeling the same way.

Especially at 4.5+ mil. Don't see the incentive
Devils fans feel much the same way. He's good player and we like him, but at that price... he's not worth it, and he'll almost certainly not be worth it at the end of its term.

I'd like to keep him - at $3.5-$4.0M. But I just don't see him taking so little money, and even that is a little high.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:23 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
As a Leaf fan thats watched a lot of devils hockey,as hard as that has been to do at times I know EXACTLY what he is.
A terrible skater with an amazing wrist shot, and great puck protection along the boards. Has a horrible hockey IQ, shoots literally ever time he gets the puck in the offensive zone no matter what the angle. Average passer at best, but never passes. Not good defensive, not bad either. Great attitude and lockerroom guy. Does awesome things for the community.

That's what Clarkson is. If you think that's worth 5 million, he's all yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Someone seems bitter. Maybe Clarkson is tired of falling asleep watching Devils play
Comments like these prove ignorance. Devils were first in the league in shot differential. Leafs were 29th. Please tell me which team sits on leads and which is trying to score goals.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Jerzey Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Clarkson is not taking a hometown discount with anyone on the only big contract of his career.
Seems like his only destinations were ever going to be NJ or TO and since it looks like he's out of NJ it would appear he really wants to play in TO. But if he wants a big paycheck you're right. He'll probably do what Marty did and act like he's fielding offers to get TO's contract where he wants it.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Sparksrus3

3 mill , 4 mill is there a difference and don't say 1 mill. These guys also get meal money and who knows what else.when they are working they have 0 expenses. I can live( get by ) on 100,000on long island.if I make 125,000 we can go on a nice vacation and bills all get paid but if I make 75,000 everything is very tight and no extras for dad.the kids(4) don't ever feel the difference.I know blah blah blah. I guess I wish I had these problems. Lol. Anyway Toronto looks like a fit for him. What's the exchange rate ? If he is counting every nickel is 5 mill Canadian like 4 mill u.s? Or visa versa?

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
3 mill , 4 mill is there a difference and don't say 1 mill. These guys also get meal money and who knows what else.when they are working they have 0 expenses. I can live( get by ) on 100,000on long island.if I make 125,000 we can go on a nice vacation and bills all get paid but if I make 75,000 everything is very tight and no extras for dad.the kids(4) don't ever feel the difference.I know blah blah blah. I guess I wish I had these problems. Lol. Anyway Toronto looks like a fit for him. What's the exchange rate ? If he is counting every nickel is 5 mill Canadian like 4 mill u.s? Or visa versa?
You're paid in American dollars regardless of which side of the border you play on. The only difference is taxes.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

I've been saying this for months: Leafs are gonna regret signing Clarkson at ~$5M.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
A terrible skater with an amazing wrist shot, and great puck protection along the boards. Has a horrible hockey IQ, shoots literally ever time he gets the puck in the offensive zone no matter what the angle. Average passer at best, but never passes. Not good defensive, not bad either. Great attitude and lockerroom guy. Does awesome things for the community.

That's what Clarkson is. If you think that's worth 5 million, he's all yours.
Thanks for the report on Clarkson. Should Clarkson sign with Toronto, it will be another Colby Armstrong situation where he gets over paid and then does nothing for the team. The fact his skating is suspect is not good due to the speed the Leafs employ.

Then again the Leafs have Colton Orr and his bricks for feet on the team so who knows...but it would be best for Clarkson to just take a discount to remain with the Devils instead. I'm sure Clarkson has respect for Lou, so anything can happen.

Quote:
Comments like these prove ignorance. Devils were first in the league in shot differential. Leafs were 29th. Please tell me which team sits on leads and which is trying to score goals.
That was an ignorant comment and knowledgeable fans know the Devils can be a scoring team. Last year's Stanley Cup finals and playoffs showed the Devils can score, and the fact Kovalchuk is on the team helps greatly.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:42 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
a 1M difference is still significant to both player and payer.

If I told you I could raise your wages by 25% and you keep the same job, of course you would do it. no reason not to. And when we are talking about a hockey player, 25% in Clarkys case is a million bucks cold cash a year. alot of money

also, 1M difference in cap hit doesnt sound much, but you start overpaying a mill here, a mill there.... you run into trouble down the road

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:46 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
That was an ignorant comment and knowledgeable fans know the Devils can be a scoring team. Last year's Stanley Cup finals and playoffs showed the Devils can score, and the fact Kovalchuk is on the team helps greatly.
Its funny cause apice probably IS one of the more knowledgable Devils fans. His stat is correct, we had the highest shot differential. the fact that the shots didnt actually go into the net is a whole 'nother stat

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Considering the Leafs' biggest weakness up front this season was a lack of puck possession + shots, Clarkson doesn't sound like too bad of an addition, haha.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Considering the Leafs' biggest weakness up front this season was a lack of puck possession + shots, Clarkson doesn't sound like too bad of an addition, haha.
He is very good at puck possession and shots. Statistically far and away the best player available in UFA.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:09 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
He is very good at puck possession and shots. Statistically far and away the best player available in UFA.
Worst free agency ever

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:13 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
I think most of us Devils fan would be comfortable with a salary of about $4 to $4.25 per and ideally a 3 year deal, a 4th might be required though. There seems to be a consensus that if he wants the $5-6 mil range thats been rumored that he's more than welcome to seek that elsewhere. I do however feel that Toronto sees him as a player he really isnt.
And what kind of a player is that? We want to add a tough, physical presence to our top-9 forwards. If Clarkson drops his gloves, throws his weight around, and wears that pesky grin and stare on his face at all times it'll be worth it for the Leafs, even at a 5M a year price tag it would probably take. The Maple Leafs already boast one of the League's top offenses so Clarkson won't be required to score 20+ goals for us but if he can provide the things I listed he'll have fit us like a glove. Only question I have for Devils fans is whether or not you think he could keep up with the Maple Leafs' speed. Is he an above average skater?

Quote:
Depends on what your definition of the discount is. Considering all fans care about are cap-hits, not hard dollars, 24mill over 6 years instead of 20mill over 4 years can be viewed as a discount to fans (1mill cheaper cap-hit) even though Clarkson would be guaranteed 4mill more dollars

Last edited by GordieHoweHatTrick: 06-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.
GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
And what kind of a player is that? We want to add a tough, physical presence to our top-9 forwards. If Clarkson drops his gloves, throws his weight around, and wears that pesky grin and stare on his face at all times it'll be worth it for the Leafs, even at a 5M a year price tag it would probably take. The Maple Leafs already boast one of the League's top offenses so Clarkson won't be required to score 20+ goals for us but if he can provide the things I listed he'll have fit us like a glove. Only question I have for Devils fans is whether or not you think he could keep up with the Maple Leafs' speed. Is he an above average skater?
He's a rather far below average skater. His propensity for randomly falling over has been a running joke on the boards since he was a rookie.

That's not to say he's slow, necessarily. He's just an awkward skater. I think there's a gif somewhere of him tripping over his own feet.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Worst free agency ever
In terms of possession and shots he's very good even outside of UFA candidates.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:25 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
He's a rather far below average skater. His propensity for randomly falling over has been a running joke on the boards since he was a rookie.

That's not to say he's slow, necessarily. He's just an awkward skater. I think there's a gif somewhere of him tripping over his own feet.
In that case he may not be a perfect fit. The Maple Leafs' offense relies on it's speed. Someone mentioned the Leafs being 29th in shot-differential, they were also 6th in Goals For, 0.21 goals per game more than 7th.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote