HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Butler traded for T.J. Brennan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
  #26
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,982
vCash: 500
Dominoes? Malkin next?

Seriously though, I love this deal. I've seen Brennan before, he has a nice shot and pinches real well. He definitely adds a little skill.

__________________
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:03 PM
  #27
Biggun35
Bender
 
Biggun35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'm sure we can get a mid to late 2nd for Blum. Not qualifying him would be stupid when we can get something for him.
What team would give up a 2nd for a player that can't even crack the Preds lineup?

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
  #28
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
What team would give up a 2nd for a player that can't even crack the Preds lineup?
We got 2 seconds and a third for Lindback

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:39 PM
  #29
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Based on his low qualifying offer, I suspect this deal is a move to get rid of one of our numerous bottom 6 forwards in exchange for defensive depth. In other words, Brennan will likely be slated for Milwaukee, or is an Ellis replacement as a power play specialist who will play highly protected minutes like he did in Florida.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:39 PM
  #30
ilikeblocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Love this deal. Takes the heat off of signing a second pairing d-man by putting pressure on existing d-men.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
  #31
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Love this deal. Takes the heat off of signing a second pairing d-man by putting pressure on existing d-men.
If we don't get second pair defenseman we will have problems. Brennan is not that good, I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:56 PM
  #32
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
I sure will sleep better tonight knowing we picked up another d-man..

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
  #33
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 23,231
vCash: 0
Very confused by this move, don't think Butler is even going to get a QO from FLA.

From the time he was in Florida, he's basically an upgraded version of MAB that doesn't do as many brainfarts. 3rd pairing PP specialist.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
  #34
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I sure will sleep better tonight knowing we picked up another d-man..
I said it four years ago we are trying to change the sport and ice 12 defensemen and 6 forwards

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:59 PM
  #35
INDhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Poile is stocking up on defenseman for trades. We don't know what he has in the works right now as far as trading Blum or Ellis. This was a way to get a replacement by getting rid of a forward we got off waivers so we have gotten Brennan for nothing. If he ends up in Milwaukee so be it nothing lost.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:15 AM
  #36
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,465
vCash: 500
Anyone know if Brennan is waiver eligible? If he could play in Milwaukee, that would be great depth and a nice gift to them after all that we took from them last year.

It seems like he's a bit behind Blum/Ellis on the development curve, and outside of Ekholm, we actually have a weakness in D prospects.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:43 AM
  #37
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Anyone know if Brennan is waiver eligible? If he could play in Milwaukee, that would be great depth and a nice gift to them after all that we took from them last year.

It seems like he's a bit behind Blum/Ellis on the development curve, and outside of Ekholm, we actually have a weakness in D prospects.
He's not exempt from waivers. He would probably clear if waived at the right time, though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:58 AM
  #38
Biggun35
Bender
 
Biggun35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
We got 2 seconds and a third for Lindback
Can't compare a starting goaltender with an AHL defenseman.

Plus Brennan was traded from Buffalo to Florida for a 5th round pick.

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:26 AM
  #39
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,686
vCash: 500
This is the response I got from my friend in Florida:

"He's alright. Liability defensively, but has a sick slap shot. Good puck moving D-man. But like I said, not good as a defenseman. Want him on the power play though."


Just two cents I suppose.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:31 AM
  #40
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,243
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
This is the response I got from my friend in Florida:

"He's alright. Liability defensively, but has a sick slap shot. Good puck moving D-man. But like I said, not good as a defenseman. Want him on the power play though."


Just two cents I suppose.
Sounds like we reacquired Cody Franson

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:37 AM
  #41
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Are we sure Tollefson is coming over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm pretty sure SLake said he was, which is as good as sacred IMO.
As of earlier this week, that is off. Apparently Tollefsen is staying in Europe. Sorry, I've been busy this week. Meant to update that, then this story broke...

I like Brennan. Believe he has good potential to round out his game here playing with Housley into a two-way defenseman. Don't know what this means for Bartley, but believe this likely signals the end of Blum's tenure if Brennan is re-signed.

Got quite the logjam back on defense with the top 3 set (Weber, Josi, Klein) for the next few years and a group of youngsters and a vet in Gill playing behind them. Need to find a No. 4 defenseman to play with Klein this summer. Might potentially see Bartley, Brennan, and Ekholm compete for that spot. Ellis will need to battle as well to secure the 6th spot on D right out of the gates as well to avoid getting lost in the shuffle.


Last edited by Seth Lake: 06-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:58 AM
  #42
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,243
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
As of earlier this week, that is off. Apparently Tollefsen is staying in Europe. Sorry, I've been busy this week. Meant to update that, then this story broke...

I like Brennan. Believe he has good potential to round out his game here playing with Housley into a two-way defenseman. Don't know what this means for Bartley, but believe this likely signals the end of Blum's tenure if Brennan is re-signed.

Got quite the logjam back on defense with the top 3 set (Weber, Josi, Klein) for the next few years and a group of youngsters and a vet in Gill playing behind them. Need to find a No. 4 defenseman to play with Klein this summer. Might potentially see Bartley, Brennan, and Ekholm compete for that spot. Ellis will need to battle as well to secure the 6th spot on D right out of the gates as well to avoid getting lost in the shuffle.
At first I was thinking this was a depth move and brennan was destined for milwaukee but the more I hear about his game it sounds like this is a move that would allow poile to trade ellis if the right deal came along, assuming brennan can stick at the nhl level

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:15 AM
  #43
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
At first I was thinking this was a depth move and brennan was destined for milwaukee but the more I hear about his game it sounds like this is a move that would allow poile to trade ellis if the right deal came along, assuming brennan can stick at the nhl level
It's my hunch that Brennan will be allowed every opportunity to win himself a spot in Nashville. Who knows how free agency will go or what our roster will look like in September, but the logjam of young, on-the-fence defensemen we have is getting comical. With that said, I think this was a move that we made with full intention of improving the Preds, not the Ads. Depth addition at the very least.

My first thought also was if he's an impressive enough guy and not too much of a defensive liability, it opens up some trade avenues on the blueline. Even though I'm still not sold on the idea of trading Ellis, the odds are higher now.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:41 AM
  #44
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,657
vCash: 500
I just don't get it really guys.
We have top three obviously as kleiner, weber and josi.
Then next three would be ufa/trade for number four to play with kk, then the last pairing I would think we let Blum, bartley, ekholm, Ellis and gill battle that out, trade whoever doesn't make it. I do not see Brennan on preds roster.

But we definitely need fourth pairing guy, maybe poile bad something in the works..

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:55 AM
  #45
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,620
vCash: 500
For people who think Blum has no trade value, maybe other franchises value our Dmen more than we do. Remember that freaking Jack Hillen was playing in the playoffs this year and we let him go for nada.

kypredsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:58 AM
  #46
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,243
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
For people who think Blum has no trade value, maybe other franchises value our Dmen more than we do. Remember that freaking Jack Hillen was playing in the playoffs this year and we let him go for nada.
I said this exact thing earlier this year. We are spoiled by how good our defensmen are and dont realize that our rejects can frequently crack the lineup of other teams.

Someone out there is going to want Blum, I just wish he had played better so his return would be more. Actually I wish he'd just have played to his potential here and we would be set in our top 4, but oh well...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:10 AM
  #47
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
For people who think Blum has no trade value, maybe other franchises value our Dmen more than we do. Remember that freaking Jack Hillen was playing in the playoffs this year and we let him go for nada.
Jack Hillen was a free agent pickup by us and then let go by us. If we're going to do the analysis of defensemen, let's talk about those that came up through our system and have gone on to other things as opposed to guys that we acquired like Hillen. And just because a guy is playing in the playoffs for another team doesn't necessarily make them a better player than what we already have.

All that said, like others have said, we need someone to pair with Klein. Either Poile is setting up to make a move to acquire someone or has someone in mind in free agency, that is first and foremost. I have a funny feeling draft day could be very interesting around here. If Poile can't land someone to play with Klein I suspect a battle between Bartley, Ekholm and Ellis to fill that role. We know what we have in Bartley and he's not the answer. Can Ekholm or Ellis step up to the plate and deliver? Only time will tell. Heck, maybe Blum surprises us as well, if he's around.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
  #48
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,028
vCash: 500
My guess is that Poile wants a second or late first on draft day. Something will go down.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
  #49
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,243
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Jack Hillen was a free agent pickup by us and then let go by us. If we're going to do the analysis of defensemen, let's talk about those that came up through our system and have gone on to other things as opposed to guys that we acquired like Hillen. And just because a guy is playing in the playoffs for another team doesn't necessarily make them a better player than what we already have.

All that said, like others have said, we need someone to pair with Klein. Either Poile is setting up to make a move to acquire someone or has someone in mind in free agency, that is first and foremost. I have a funny feeling draft day could be very interesting around here. If Poile can't land someone to play with Klein I suspect a battle between Bartley, Ekholm and Ellis to fill that role. We know what we have in Bartley and he's not the answer. Can Ekholm or Ellis step up to the plate and deliver? Only time will tell. Heck, maybe Blum surprises us as well, if he's around.
I dont see any possible way that we come to camp this fall with all four of Blum, Ellis, Ekholm and Bartley.

IM Bartley is our defensive version of Chris Mueller. A passable injury replacement who will never quite make it as a full time NHL player.

if Ekholm doesnt win a top 6 dman spot out of camp I see him in the Kevin Klein role... stays here, frequently scratched, until another spot opens up.

Blum, Ellis, or both are trade bait depending on what is available. If we package one of them to get a top 6 wing and another to get a top 4 d, I'd call that a win...


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
My guess is that Poile wants a second or late first on draft day. Something will go down.

Preds have more immediate needs than trading a roster player for a pick which will give us a player who will be three years out at a minimum. I will be pissed if Poile wastes Blum or Ellis on a pick unless its to colorado or florida to move up to 1 or 2

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:23 AM
  #50
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
Brennan was picked up because of his offensive upside. Housely will work with him to see if his potential warrants a spot in Nashville. If he doesn't stick, he's a nice addition for MIL. There is a logjam of bottom pairing Dmen, but there is a new sherif in town to coach the offensive minded, puck moving defensemen. Let Housely weed them out.

Butler plays a top 6 game but isn't consistent enough to ensconce himself there. I'm encouraged by the move because it indicates that Poile plans to upgrade the forward position.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.