HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Howard Berger: Leafs may look to acquire Clarkson's rights

Old
06-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
The personal shots are going to stop. Now.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Please do this so that the Flyers can't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Vor
RIP Lounge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
hes also nowhere near as good as the Leafs fans think he is
Ugh, this. Clarkson stinks, and whatever idiotic contract he signs is going to enrage the fanbase of his new team in less than 2 years. Clarkson might be a good fit, but i really dont want him. Like at all.

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Ugh, this. Clarkson stinks, and whatever idiotic contract he signs is going to enrage the fanbase of his new team in less than 2 years. Clarkson might be a good fit, but i really dont want him. Like at all.
He doesn't stink. He's a good, but limited, player.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:04 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I think Nonis gets it done.
Lou has been slacking lately

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Ricky Bobby

I just hope Nonis doesn't overpay Clarkson who at best will only be the 4th best winger. We need cap space to upgrade our centers and D group a lot more then we need another winger.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Vor
RIP Lounge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
He doesn't stink. He's a good, but limited, player.
Toronto media will absolutely eat him alive. I dont know if there's a dumber player in the league, he has the hockey iq of a 13 year old house leaguer.

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Ricky Bobby

If Clarkson signs I'm looking for Nonis to shop Kulemin who we can't afford after next season when he'll become a UFA.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Toronto media will absolutely eat him alive. I dont know if there's a dumber player in the league, he has the hockey iq of a 13 year old house leaguer.
If we pay him more then 3 he's bound to become the next Armstrong or Blake.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Ho Borvat

Forget Clarksons grit/toughness factor for a second.

How much is 30-40 points worth as a UFA? 2.5-3 million?
Hes fairly average-above average defensively, so no real boost there.

Some team is going to pay a ridiculous premium for his intangibles...

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

I think Clarkson would be a premier third line forward and I would give him second line money

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

Quote:
Maybe Nonis misunderstood when everyone said that the Leafs' #1 need this off-season is someone to take the pressure off Phaneuf

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:51 AM
njdevilsownnhl*

Send a message via AIM to njdevilsownnhl*
I want clarkson to leave. He's too inconsistent.

njdevilsownnhl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:58 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
And what kind of a player is that? We want to add a tough, physical presence to our top-9 forwards. If Clarkson drops his gloves, throws his weight around, and wears that pesky grin and stare on his face at all times it'll be worth it for the Leafs, even at a 5M a year price tag it would probably take. The Maple Leafs already boast one of the League's top offenses so Clarkson won't be required to score 20+ goals for us but if he can provide the things I listed he'll have fit us like a glove. Only question I have for Devils fans is whether or not you think he could keep up with the Maple Leafs' speed. Is he an above average skater?

Depends on what your definition of the discount is. Considering all fans care about are cap-hits, not hard dollars, 24mill over 6 years instead of 20mill over 4 years can be viewed as a discount to fans (1mill cheaper cap-hit) even though Clarkson would be guaranteed 4mill more dollars
The thing is that now that he's got it in his head that he's a goal scorer, he doesn't do that stuff any more.

He still finishes his checks, but if you're expecting Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic, Thomas Holmstrom, or Andrew Ladd....you'll be sorely mistaken. He's more Cal Clutterbuck, Tuomo Rutuu, or Jamie McGinn.

Clarkson is an incredibly loyal 3rd liner with poor skating abilities, little to no hockey sense, an above average shot, good at scoring garbage goals off deflections and rebounds, has excellent puck possession abilities, is average to slightly below average defensively, and is a genuinely nice guy.

I love him an appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, and I'd welcome him back with open arms at any reasonable price, but for $5M....I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

The whole point is moot though. Lou doesn't trade rights, and even if he did, he has a ***** for Clarkson. You'll have to wait until free agency.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The thing is that now that he's got it in his head that he's a goal scorer, he doesn't do that stuff any more.

He still finishes his checks, but if you're expecting Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic, Thomas Holmstrom, or Andrew Ladd....you'll be sorely mistaken. He's more Cal Clutterbuck, Tuomo Rutuu, or Jamie McGinn.

Clarkson is an incredibly loyal 3rd liner with poor skating abilities, little to no hockey sense, an above average shot, good at scoring garbage goals off deflections and rebounds, has excellent puck possession abilities, is average to slightly below average defensively, and is a genuinely nice guy.

I love him an appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, and I'd welcome him back with open arms at any reasonable price, but for $5M....I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

The whole point is moot though. Lou doesn't trade rights, and even if he did, he has a ***** for Clarkson. You'll have to wait until free agency.
Is there a new rule this year where you can talk to free agents x-number of days (5 days, I think) before free agency period begins?

Sort of what is done anyway, but now the risk of tampering is removed.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:14 PM
WTFMAN99

I think he's worth 4 million a year...but at the same time wing isn't exactly a weakness for the Leafs...i'd rather we work towards a top line centre...

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:15 PM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Here's the deal, Lou will never ever trade a player's rights. If he's not signing him he's going to let him become a UFA.

Lou just doesn't work that way. Think of it what you want, that's who he is.

Look at all the UFA:s the Devils have let go over the years. When has Lou ever dealt the rights to a player? Exactly.

Howard Berger has no clue what he's talking, neither has Nilan.

Clarkson might very well sign in TO, but there will be no rights involved.
What does Lou take in his coffee?

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:16 PM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
I agree, he is no top6 player imo

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:19 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Considering the Leafs' biggest weakness up front this season was a lack of puck possession + shots, Clarkson doesn't sound like too bad of an addition, haha.
He'll definitely help in terms of puck possession. Solid on the cycle, goes to dirty areas and has a nose for the puck. The problem is his shot selection is atrocious.

He's great in a 3rd line role, and he's well worth 5 million to be the focal point of a bottom 6. I don't believe his 30 goals were a fluke in that regard. But if you ask him to be a top 6 guy, he's going to disappoint because he is not smart enough to go against top defensive pairings and lines, and his shot selection negates what you're true top 6 guys bring.

That's why I want Clarkson back if we can sign someone like Horton or someone, but if we can't bring in a top 6 player, I'd rather not pay Clarkson to try to meet expectations he's not capable of meeting.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

It seems pretty clear that both Clarkson and Weiss would like to be home in Toronto by all accounts. It pretty much seems that the money that Clarkson is asking for from New Jersey he's not going to get. So Toronto does seem like the most logical destination for Clarkson, I would love to see Weiss play for my Red Wings to replace Filppula I know Ken Holland was strongly going after him before his wrist injury.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:28 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
He'll definitely help in terms of puck possession. Solid on the cycle, goes to dirty areas and has a nose for the puck. The problem is his shot selection is atrocious.

He's great in a 3rd line role, and he's well worth 5 million to be the focal point of a bottom 6. I don't believe his 30 goals were a fluke in that regard. But if you ask him to be a top 6 guy, he's going to disappoint because he is not smart enough to go against top defensive pairings and lines, and his shot selection negates what you're true top 6 guys bring.

That's why I want Clarkson back if we can sign someone like Horton or someone, but if we can't bring in a top 6 player, I'd rather not pay Clarkson to try to meet expectations he's not capable of meeting.
I'm confused by that logic. Clarkson would be signing a 3-4 year deal, you don't think the Devils can find another top 6 player in the next 3-4 years to bump him down? If theres no prospect that can slot into the top 6, why not have Clarkson as a filler, he's already shown he doesn't look out of place. He might not be ideal, but I really don't get that thought process.

In your scenario, you'd lose Clarkson and also don't sign the a top 6 player. That sounds like the Devils would be going into a rebuild, which isn't the case (at least I wouldn't think so after reaching the SCF the year before).

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:29 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
It seems pretty clear that both Clarkson and Weiss would like to be home in Toronto by all accounts. It pretty much seems that the money that Clarkson is asking for from New Jersey he's not going to get. So Toronto does seem like the most logical destination for Clarkson, I would love to see Weiss play for my Red Wings to replace Filppula I know Ken Holland was strongly going after him before his wrist injury.
I don't know about Weiss, but as long as Toronto offers what Clarkson considers a fair contract I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't end up in Toronto.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:35 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I'm confused by that logic. Clarkson would be signing a 3-4 year deal, you don't think the Devils can find another top 6 player in the next 3-4 years to bump him down? If theres no prospect that can slot into the top 6, why not have Clarkson as a filler, he's already shown he doesn't look out of place. He might not be ideal, but I really don't get that thought process.
The Devils aren't known for bringing in core players through free agency, and the only player with top 6 potential in the Devils system is Reid Boucher who is still a good couple years away from the NHL. Unless of course the Devils can land Nichushkin in the draft which I'm praying happens.

Also, this is going to be Clarkson big chance for a pay day so I'm willing to bet he's looking for a 5 year contract at the minimum. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of committing that much time to him. Like I said, I don't mind him back but I don't want to see him back if he's in a role he can't handle.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
nazembiggs*

Was it said anywhere that he's commanding 5 million a year or is it just pure speculation/ status quo for other free agents with similar stat lines ?

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Little back story couple weeks ago former habs enforcer Chris Nilan was on a Montreal Radio station and said that he and Clarkson are friends and that David Clarkson to Toronto was a "Done Deal" and that Clarkson would be a Maple Leaf next season.

Recently Howard Burger tweeted that Toronto is interested in acquiring the rights to David Clarkson. I hope this happens Clarkson would bring an element we haven't had since the Darcy Tucker days. Do you think this happens?

Devils fans what would you want? 5th?
I have said it before, my friend is personally friends with Clarkson and hangs out with him all the time.

Clarkson has told him he is open to playing in either NJ or Toronto. He isn't looking for a massive deal so much as term. Apparently he wants 5 years on a deal.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote