HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) V

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
We have made our move, this Drewiske kid is gonna be a good oneI tell ya. I just want us to make some noise at the draft, don't expect free agents to line up for Montreal.
If they let Ryder walk and buy out Kaberle they won't just stand pat with 9 mil of cap space, they'll ad some body by trade or UFA.

What I don't think they will do is be the the team signing the Wisniewski, Garrison or Leino of their summer.

Say Horton, Clarkson, Clowe, Bickell are on the market I'm sure they will be in the picture for all of them but only sign one if the number makes sense, as in no more than 500k over a player's value. the trade option could also work, I see Laich, Malone and potentially Dubinsky/Foligno being available from cash/cap strapped teams.

I see them going after a Torres or Cooke type winger also. If they could get Torres and one of the above mentionned, that adds a lot of size and physicality to the top 9.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
At 4 years 3.5 mil Bickell signs with Chicago.

If he goes to UFA he probably wants and gets more money than that.
He won't be playing above the 3rd line in Chicago after the playoffs, and I think 3.5 might be too much for them to pay with all the contracts and roster spots they need to fill.

Hard to say though, but it would be a treat to get him in a CH sweater

Old
06-15-2013, 09:04 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The Habs & Marc Bergevin will be pursuing Ryan O'Reilly again this summer when the UFA season starts. While negotiating for O'Reilly, they may want to try and pry Erik Johnson & Jamie McGinn from Colorado as well. That is the type of Blockbuster trade the Avalanche could be interested in after choosing Seth Jones at the Entry Draft.

The Habs will also be ready to pursue some trades after the Entry Draft is over and they know where their prospect depth is in their system. Johnson seems like a perfect fit for the Habs, not only while Emelin is rehabbing his knee, but long term. Adding the former 1st overall defenceman to Tinordi and Emelin would give them two pairings on defence that could compare to a lot of 1st pairings for most teams in the NHL.

The playoffs this year certainly shows that teams that are solid in goal and defence, are the teams that move on to the Finals. Which brings up the O'Reilly pursuit, a center that would give the Habs strength down the middle like their old SC days. Trading for Jamie McGinn the feisty LW that has just started breaking out on the scoring parade, while playing sound defensively is another gem that must be catching the eyes of GM's throughout the NHL.

The other player I deem necessary is a pugilist to share the load that Prust and White have carried the last year. My choices are Jared Boll or BJ Crombeen two players that can play hockey and swing their jawbreakers with the best of them in the NHL.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
He won't be playing above the 3rd line in Chicago after the playoffs, and I think 3.5 might be too much for them to pay with all the contracts and roster spots they need to fill.

Hard to say though, but it would be a treat to get him in a CH sweater
The only core guys they have to re-sign are Leddy and Bickell, Stalberg isn't even dressed most of the games recently. He Rozival and Handzus they can replace with their young players(Morin Hayes Glendenning Olsen Pirri).

They'll end up buying out Olesz and probably Montador, giving them about 7 mil in cap space for Leddy, Bickell and Kruger. At 3.5 for Bickell, about 1.5-1.75 for Leddy and 1 mil for Kruger they are fine.

Edit:Forgot a back up goalie. Bickell getting 3.5-3.75 mil cap hit would definitely force Chicago to make another move, but if they really like what he brings,I could see Frolik being moved for more cap space.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:10 AM
habsrule22

O Reilly can t be traded until next february( the date he signed Calgary offer sheet), around that time anyways

Old
06-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs & Marc Bergevin will be pursuing Ryan O'Reilly again this summer when the UFA season starts. While negotiating for O'Reilly, they may want to try and pry Erik Johnson & Jamie McGinn from Colorado as well. That is the type of Blockbuster trade the Avalanche could be interested in after choosing Seth Jones at the Entry Draft.

The Habs will also be ready to pursue some trades after the Entry Draft is over and they know where their prospect depth is in their system. Johnson seems like a perfect fit for the Habs, not only while Emelin is rehabbing his knee, but long term. Adding the former 1st overall defenceman to Tinordi and Emelin would give them two pairings on defence that could compare to a lot of 1st pairings for most teams in the NHL.

The playoffs this year certainly shows that teams that are solid in goal and defence, are the teams that move on to the Finals. Which brings up the O'Reilly pursuit, a center that would give the Habs strength down the middle like their old SC days. Trading for Jamie McGinn the feisty LW that has just started breaking out on the scoring parade, while playing sound defensively is another gem that must be catching the eyes of GM's throughout the NHL.

The other player I deem necessary is a pugilist to share the load that Prust and White have carried the last year. My choices are Jared Boll or BJ Crombeen two players that can play hockey and swing their jawbreakers with the best of them in the NHL.
O'reilly isn't a UFA he is signed until 2014.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:15 AM
HCH

Quote:
The Habs & Marc Bergevin will be pursuing Ryan O'Reilly again this summer when the UFA season starts.
Am I missing something here? O'Reilly is not a free agent and I don't think Bergevin is going to give up a boat load of prospects and draft choices for him. It's against his stated method of operations.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:20 AM
otto bond

I get the feeling that big ticket free agent are not going to be converted by habs...not enought room on the cap. It's a trade that needs to happen in order to get a good player.
That Bickell talk is just that, talk. No way the habs can fit him under the cap or without ampering them in the future since I think he's gonna get 4+.
Some St-Louis fans claim that they have a need at center and perhaps the habs have the answer for them and should target....you guess it...Stewart.
IMO, Moen can be moved so can DD. If you move Plekanec, it better be for a good return. Gionta will not be moved IMO and neither will Markov. I could see White being shop and the same with Bourque, Diaz and even Gorges.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:30 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Chicago has 2 mil cap space and have to re-sign Kruger, Leddy and replace Bickell/Stalberg/Emery. Even if they buyout Montador and Olesz they're still tight on space. They also have to keep space open for Hjalmarsson, Shaw, Frolik and Crawford next year.
You are assuming that you know how Bowman priortizes his talent. Bickell may have leapfrogged others as far as importance to the team goes. Only Bowman knows that for sure. Who knows, they may trade a Dave Bolland. Guys like Morin and Hayes are counting against their cap right now but could spend another year in the minors. If you add in a couple of buyouts, there could be room for Bickell.

I know Chicago can't resign everyone but if really is as a valuable as so many on this board think he is, they may just make every effort to re-sign him

Old
06-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Draft

So, if most of us are in agreement that the big-ticket Free Agents will not be worth going after, who has trades that will improve the team?

I think we've either got to make moves to compete this year or continue the rebuild. Our team is weak, especially on defence, and I don't think we have what it takes to compete in the playoffs or through a full season with the team we have now. What's the point in trying to force another 8th seed and 1st round exit, if that, when we could make some big moves and potentially be a powerhouse team in two years?

Old
06-15-2013, 10:27 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Am I missing something here? O'Reilly is not a free agent and I don't think Bergevin is going to give up a boat load of prospects and draft choices for him. It's against his stated method of operations.
He's not implying that O'reilly is UFA.....He said we should try to trade for him,Johnson and McGinn

Old
06-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Laboeuf

I would expect with Bergervin's connection with Chicago that he'll be interested in adding Viktor Stalberg and Bryan Bickell. Both are 6'4" 230lbs winger that can put up 40-50 points a year. Bergy knows these guys well as he scouted them.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

Radra can't be traded until Feb and he's a core piece in Denver, EJ is for better or for worse the best defenseman they've got, so unless they get an upgrade he's not moving and trading McGinn makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:45 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
O Reilly can t be traded until next february( the date he signed Calgary offer sheet), around that time anyways
Quote:
Quote:
Okay give me a break here, with all the surgeries I've had and the pain I'm in, I haven't slept for three days now. So I forgot when O'Reilly signed, but rest assured unless Bergevin signs another centerman, he will pursue O'Reilly when the time comes.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:47 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
I would expect with Bergervin's connection with Chicago that he'll be interested in adding Viktor Stalberg and Bryan Bickell. Both are 6'4" 230lbs winger that can put up 40-50 points a year. Bergy knows these guys well as he scouted them.
Absolutely, but there will be alot of teams looking at Bickell...

Just curious, but do any of you guys think that MB will be taking a look at Max Lapierre?

Old
06-15-2013, 10:59 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.722m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Douglas Murray ($3.000m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,820,208; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,177,292

Added: Clowe, McGrattan, Doug Murray
Traded: Diaz for futures/picks/prospects

Our lineup would have a good mix of grit, size and skill, three lines who can score, cap space, and a grittier D.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
He's not implying that O'reilly is UFA.....He said we should try to trade for him,Johnson and McGinn
Oh, okay. That would be a nice package but why wouldn't Colorado want to keep these guys. Just because we want them doesn't mean they are available.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:03 AM
HCH

I have to wonder what MacTavish is going to do in Edmonton. He clearly wants to put his stamp on this team. Are there any opportunities there that could be beneficial to both teams or are they too much like the Canadiens... in need of grit and a more physical defense?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I get the feeling that big ticket free agent are not going to be converted by habs...not enought room on the cap. It's a trade that needs to happen in order to get a good player.
That Bickell talk is just that, talk. No way the habs can fit him under the cap or without ampering them in the future since I think he's gonna get 4+.
Some St-Louis fans claim that they have a need at center and perhaps the habs have the answer for them and should target....you guess it...Stewart.
IMO, Moen can be moved so can DD. If you move Plekanec, it better be for a good return. Gionta will not be moved IMO and neither will Markov. I could see White being shop and the same with Bourque, Diaz and even Gorges.
The Habs have enough cap room to go after any UFA they want, but I don't see MB overpaying by a lot for a UFA. He won't be the GM giving 4.5 or 5 mil to Bickell or Clarkson. Some overpayment is expected with good UFA's but I have a feeling he'll draw a line that he won't cross. If you overpay badly for a UFA it throws the rest of your cap structure out of whack.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($3.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
------

Our lineup would have a good mix of grit, size and skill, three lines who can score, cap space, and a grittier D.
Clowe will cost more than a 3.5 mil cap hit. 4.5 mil is a lot closer to reality if he hits UFA.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Draft

So, took the time to write up a short list of "character" players that I think we should be interested in. The types like Gallagher and Prust who will do what it takes to win and to lead a team, from the 4th line to the 1st. Guys who play with passion, clutch players, tenacious players, leaders, and those who are committed to winning. Some are just in here because they're UFAs and kind of fit the bill.

Boyd Gordon
Steve Ott
Brendan Morrow
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Halischuk
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Paul Bissonette
Antoine Vermette
Scott Glennie
Krys Barch
Patrice Cormier
Andrew Ladd
Teemu Hartikainen
Jared Boll
Boone Jenner
Gabriel Landeskog/Jordan Eberle
Nino Niederreiter
TJ Oshie

Tried to keep most of it in the Western Conference and away from any unrealistic trades or signings (Apart from Landeskog/Eberle). Unfortunately not many that could play in a top-6 role. Any more to add/take away?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
OTHER
------

I think Doug Murray has been exposed as too slow, McGrattan has barely an NHL player and has averaged less than 30 games per year for the past 8 years with less than 1 goal and 2 assists per year. I would want someone who has the skill to play more regularly than that. Clowe wants big money and a long term. I wouldn't want to give him either.

I like your idea adding grit, size and skill but not with these three

Old
06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
I have to wonder what MacTavish is going to do in Edmonton. He clearly wants to put his stamp on this team. Are there any opportunities there that could be beneficial to both teams or are they too much like the Canadiens... in need of grit and a more physical defense?
I heard they need a shutdown D... Why not our very own Gorges for their 2nd and the negociation rights on Ryan Jones?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:21 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
At 4 years 3.5 mil Bickell signs with Chicago.

If he goes to UFA he probably wants and gets more money than that.
agreed they will let Frolik or others go to keep him at that money but not more

Old
06-15-2013, 11:22 AM
DAChampion

"character" is probably the most overrated quality on hfboards.

It's a quality you assign to a player when you like him but you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Closed Thread