HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
This signing probably means that Bouillon will be our 6th defenseman and not 7th.
With Emelin out to start, the wild card will be Tinordi. Do they slot Tinordi-Bouillon as #6-7 with Emelin out or do they sign a UFA d-man and project Tinordi to Hamilton.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
With Emelin out to start, the wild card will be Tinordi. Do they slot Tinordi-Bouillon as #6-7 with Emelin out or do they sign a UFA d-man and project Tinordi to Hamilton.
I think Tinordi makes the team out of camp...the kid did very well last year, in his spot duty...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Forsead

The only way I would like this move is if they manage to actually sign a big physical top 4 guy, like Doug Murray and Mark Fistric. Or trade for one, look at Marc Methot, he was huge for Ottawa and not so hard to get for them.

At the start of the season :

Markov-Gorges
Murray-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewiske

With everyone healthy:

Markov-Emelin
Murray-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiske

Or they think Tinordi for some top 6 time, but I doubt it.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
The only way I would like this move is if they manage to actually sign a big physical top 4 guy, like Doug Murray and Mark Fistric. Or trade for one, look at Marc Methot, he was huge for Ottawa and not so hard to get for them.
Since when is Mark Fistric a top 4 guy? I think he would have been a solid addition as a #6 or #7 but top 4... I don't think so. Doug Murray's days as a top 4 are also behind him.

Before he was traded, I thought Methot would be a good addition but to say these kinds of players are aren't hard to get is wrong. How many players like him changed teams in the last couple of years and how much did it cost to get them.

Quote:
Good question. I don't think one more year in Hamilton would hurt Tinordi. That way a good chunk of our future defense could grow together. I would be tempted to go after a UFA who could help us for 10 - 20 games while Emelin recovers and then settle into a lesser role.

Are guys like Komisarek or O'Byrne, if they come available, good enough to play a few games at the beginning of the season and then become fillers later on? Would they be interested in that role? They are both players who can play the right side and who have some size. By playoff time, the team could evaluate their play as well as the progression of the prospects in Hamilton. Depending on injuries, slumps, etc. I would expect between 40 and 50 games in an 82 game schedule.

Last edited by overlords: 06-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.
HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Since when is Mark Fistric a top 4 guy? I think he would have been a solid addition as a #6 or #7 but top 4... I don't think so. Doug Murray's days as a top 4 are also behind him.

Before he was traded, I thought Methot would be a good addition but to say these kinds of players are aren't hard to get is wrong. How many players like him changed teams in the last couple of years and how much did it cost to get them.
Yeah I don't know why, but I thought about Smid instead of Fistric, sorry. I thought Murray played pretty good with Pittsburgh.

Marc Methot for Nick Foligno

Douglas Murray for a 2013 second-round draft pick and a 2014 conditional second-round draft pick

Braydon Coburn for Alexei Zhitnik

Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk

Andrej Meszaros for a 2nd round selection in 2012

Eric Brewer for Brock Beukeboom and a third-round draft pick in 2011

Dennis Seidenberg and Matthew Bartkowski for Craig Weller, Byron Bitz and a 2nd round selection in 2010

Ryan McDonagh in the infamous trade

Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler for Boris Valabik and Rich Peverley

Robyn Regehr for second-round draft picks in 2014 and 2015
and the buffalo trade was Robyn Regehr, Ales Kotalik and a 2nd round selection in 2012 for Chris Butler and Paul Byron

Brad Stuart for Andrew Murray and a conditional 2014 draft pick and the Detroit trade was Brad Stuart for a 2nd round selection in 2008 and a 4th round selection in 2009

So it happen more often than we think and it's not always that costly.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

At the start of the season :

Markov-Gorges
Murray-Subban
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewiske

With everyone healthy:

Markov-Emelin
Murray-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon
Drewiske

Or they think Tinordi for some top 6 time, but I doubt it.
Neither Murray nor Fistic are legit top 4 guys.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Neither Murray nor Fistic are legit top 4 guys.
Like I said in another post I confused him and Smid for some reason.

I think Murray is a top4, even if he didn't had the best season, but is play with Pittsburgh made me believe that he still can be a top 4.

Last edited by Forsead: 06-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old
06-16-2013, 07:58 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Yeah I don't know why, but I thought about Smid instead of Fistric, sorry. I thought Murray played pretty good with Pittsburgh.

Marc Methot for Nick Foligno

Douglas Murray for a 2013 second-round draft pick and a 2014 conditional second-round draft pick

Braydon Coburn for Alexei Zhitnik

Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk

Andrej Meszaros for a 2nd round selection in 2012

Eric Brewer for Brock Beukeboom and a third-round draft pick in 2011

Dennis Seidenberg and Matthew Bartkowski for Craig Weller, Byron Bitz and a 2nd round selection in 2010

Ryan McDonagh in the infamous trade

Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler for Boris Valabik and Rich Peverley

and the buffalo trade was Robyn Regehr, Ales Kotalik and a 2nd round selection in 2012 for Chris Butler and Paul Byron

Brad Stuart for Andrew Murray and a conditional 2014 draft pick and the Detroit trade was Brad Stuart for a 2nd round selection in 2008 and a 4th round selection in 2009

So it happen more often than we think and it's not always that costly.
good post brosef. what i gather from your list though is that you need the right trading partner, position of strength for position of weakness; most of the trades you posted are like that, and you need an astute GM to pull it off.

so in a few years, if all of our 'undersized' forward prospects (hudon, holland, bozon et cetera) pan out, you can certainly expect bergevin to ship one off for help where we need it

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
good post brosef. what i gather from your list though is that you need the right trading partner, position of strength for position of weakness; most of the trades you posted are like that, and you need an astute GM to pull it off.

so in a few years, if all of our 'undersized' forward prospects (hudon, holland, bozon et cetera) pan out, you can certainly expect bergevin to ship one off for help where we need it
Exactly ! and if we're lucky Bergervin will find some tricks in his sleeves to get it done this summer or next one that would really help Emelin and possibly Tinordi that have to do most of the physical stuff on the defense.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:39 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

The more I think about this idiotic extension the more frustrated I get.

Shades of Gainey/Gauthier all over again.

Drewiskie got benched in favour of two rookies even though Emelin got inured. He didn't factor in the playoffs, even though he was a deadline pick up.

We have enough non-physical, do-nothings to stock the entire conference - this isn't depth, this is a systematic failure to address needs.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:52 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Drewiskie got benched in favour of two rookies even though Emelin got inured. He didn't factor in the playoffs, even though he was a deadline pick up.

We have enough non-physical, do-nothings to stock the entire conference - this isn't depth, this is a systematic failure to address needs.
Yet, Gorges is not the problem on this d-core? Can you notice the error?

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

tl;dr: Now! Now! Now!

i mean christ, how fast can anybody turn an entire organization around? less than a season apparently. unless you want GMMB to start roofie'ing other GM's, how much do you really expect it to change? we have no asset to give anybody else and the UFA market is barren like Barbara Bush

i can see it already...

Confirmed with link: Jesus resurrects after a day and two nights

hfposter 01: a day and 2 nights? lol so slow

hfposter 02: 33? too old

hfposter 03: resurrection is cool, but what's the cap hit?

hfposter 04: but can he fight? enough ******* and martyrs on this team!

hfposter 05: wtf is up with the beard? it's not even the playoffs ffs!

hfposter 06: not enough leadership imo

Old
06-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Draft

Quote:

i mean christ, how fast can anybody turn an entire organization around? less than a season apparently. unless you want GMMB to start roofie'ing other GM's, how much do you really expect it to change? we have no asset to give anybody else and the UFA market is barren like Barbara Bush

i can see it already...

Not over 6'9 and the media would crucify him, pass.

**Apologies if people find that insensitive.

Last edited by Draft: 06-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Y

Such a stupid trade. Calgary is so ****ed. Edmonton, too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:59 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Such a stupid trade. Calgary is so ****ed. Edmonton, too.
You want to know what a stupid trade is ?

McDonagh for Gomez.. sigh.

The worst part is that McDo is exactly what we're missing. Frustrating.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Habiton

Quote:

He was signed to barely play, calm down man. Davis will be our 8th defenseman who might play 10-15 games. You don't want to rot a rookie there (like how they ruined Weber) but you want a good guy who won't cost you when you call his number. That's what you get in Drewskie and as far as I'm concerned he was a solid pickup. He is far, FAR from the problem on this team and if he becomes the horrendous person that everyone on this forum seems to think he is he will be claimed on waivers by another team.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Gorges has played 20+ minutes the last 5 years, how much more "proven" do you want from a player? Plus he is 28, a lot younger than those two meaning 5 more years of contract is less risky than for a 34-35 year old.

What "more" do Scuderi and Ference bring? Scuderi the last 2 years has 21 ponts and -13, Gerence had 37 points and +15 and Gorges 25 points and +18. Oduya 30 points and +6. Size wise he is bigger than Ference and a bit smaller than Scuderi.

Saying those guys are clearly better is BS. You can argue small details either way but he's at least on par with the majority of those guys.

Your last paragraph is ridiculous.

I said Gorges was a good/solid #3-4, how you assiociate that with "great" is mind boggling. I don't know of too mnay #3-04 guys going into the hall of fame, great d-men are usually #1 or at worst #2 on powerhouse teams. Drewiske is a dependable #7 guy, gain, not sure on which planet taht equates to "great", Tinordi has excellent upside but based on his play so far in the NHl he's been far far from great, still a work in progress. Diaz, same as Gorges, good/solid #3-4, again, not sure where you get "great" out of that?
Gorges himself would not even agree.

So...he brings NOTHING offensively. He can't clear the net, gets creamed along the boards. He can't bring a physical element to the game. He has a very weak shot. How in the hell is that a solid #3/4? Because he blocks shots? He plays a lot of minutes? We will continue to have a physically weak defense as long as he is considered a "solid" 3-4. The guy should be on the 3rd pairing and moved up to the 2nd pairing in a pinch along with some PK duty. His contract stinks.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:35 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:

i can see it already...

Your hilarious side-bits aside - I'm not preaching now!now!now! as much as I'm saying no!no!no!
  • Bouillon extended at first - okay fine, he'll be the 7th next year
  • Drewskie the trade deadline acquisition - okay, depth is never a bad thing
  • Drewskie failing to secure a spot even AFTER Emelin gets injured - oh well, low risk low reward, no biggies
  • Drewskie extended - ...
Either they want Drewiskie, a player who was so bad he couldn't penetrate a playoff bound lineup that had a rookie and a 38 year old as its third pairing, to be a warm body in the lockerroom and never challenge the top6 for a spot or they think that what Drewiskie brings to the table (read: nothing whatsoever) might someday be able to contribute positively to the team.

I just see trading for, playing and resigning Drewiskie as a foolish endeavor - he's 10x the scrub that anyone else on our team is. He's 28, undrafted, 42 games on an awful LA team was his career high and has 135 games through FIVE seasons. This is the man that Bergevin thinks will squeeze and challenge Bouillon, who himself looked like trash as the 48 game season wore on, and rookie Tinordi out of the 3rd pairing? What's the point of having this guy??

Can't fight, cant' hit and can't play defense. We don't, and never did, need him.

I'm not saying remold the team over-night, I'm saying that EXTENDING DESHARNAIS, BOUILLON AND DREWISKIE IS PERPETUATING THE PROBLEM AND THAT IS SQUARELY ON BERGEVIN.

See, now you got me mad. I'm going to go tweet obscenities at Gionta to feel better.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:55 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Yet, Gorges is not the problem on this d-core? Can you notice the error?
Gorges chews up a bunch of hard minutes as is an established NHL veteran. Gorges is not as slow or as weak as you keep trying to paint him as (notice it's only you two shining lightbulbs who keep trying to shift the goalposts and everybody else is just dismissing you? You're wrong, you've always been wrong, you'll never be as wrong as you are today, everything you do is the wrongest thing that's ever been done.)

He's a veteran D-man and as much as his contract astounds you, you're forgetting that he had a really good seasons the previous two years, played a vital role on league leading PKs and the team rewarded him for his sacrifice and commitment and effective play. Blocking shots isn't easy, nor is facing the media every game - you make it sound like it's a detriment.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Your hilarious side-bits aside - I'm not preaching now!now!now! as much as I'm saying no!no!no!
  • Bouillon extended at first - okay fine, he'll be the 7th next year
  • Drewskie the trade deadline acquisition - okay, depth is never a bad thing
  • Drewskie failing to secure a spot even AFTER Emelin gets injured - oh well, low risk low reward, no biggies
  • Drewskie extended - ...
Either they want Drewiskie, a player who was so bad he couldn't penetrate a playoff bound lineup that had a rookie and a 38 year old as its third pairing, to be a warm body in the lockerroom and never challenge the top6 for a spot or they think that what Drewiskie brings to the table (read: nothing whatsoever) might someday be able to contribute positively to the team.

I just see trading for, playing and resigning Drewiskie as a foolish endeavor - he's 10x the scrub that anyone else on our team is. He's 28, undrafted, 42 games on an awful LA team was his career high and has 135 games through FIVE seasons. This is the man that Bergevin thinks will squeeze and challenge Bouillon, who himself looked like trash as the 48 game season wore on, and rookie Tinordi out of the 3rd pairing? What's the point of having this guy??

Can't fight, cant' hit and can't play defense. We don't, and never did, need him.

I'm not saying remold the team over-night, I'm saying that EXTENDING DESHARNAIS, BOUILLON AND DREWISKIE IS PERPETUATING THE PROBLEM AND THAT IS SQUARELY ON BERGEVIN.

See, now you got me mad. I'm going to go tweet obscenities at Gionta to feel better.
or leave flaming bags of ******* on his porch

i know what you're saying but you still sound like someone stole your lolipop. i think you simply are misinterpreting Bergevin's idea behind those moves. he clearly would rather ice average to mediocre defensemen rather than push prospects like brolieu or tinordi to play limited minutes or to play in roles they are not ready for. GMMB of course never came and said that so it's just my interpretation, but the cube and drewiskie signings screams his intentions to do just that.

fact is: we don't have a surplus of anything - prospects, picks or roster players and the UFA market is le ****ing empty. so who are you supposed to sign? you get quality players by drafting and developing them, signing drewihatetypinghisnameiskey is a means to an end.

brolieu and tinordi will be getting quality minutes in hamilton where they belong. they will be ready in two years but probably by next year when cube's and markov's (tada!) contracts are gonzo

put your feet up, take a breather man, temper flareups are usually my thing around here

edit: desharnais's contract is fine. not great, not awful and he's basically found money. even if you trade him for a fifth, that's still a free fifth, you don't let assets walk away for free remember those days?

Old
06-16-2013, 10:09 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Not sure why ppl are so upset, he wasn't anything specially, but when Emelin is healthy he would be the 8th dmen, Habs like to carry 8th dmen, so I have no issue with him and Bouillon being 7th 8th guy, better than having a young guy like Weber, who is likely gone, sitting in the press box.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Not sure why ppl are so upset, he wasn't anything specially, but when Emelin is healthy he would be the 8th dmen, Habs like to carry 8th dmen, so I have no issue with him and Bouillon being 7th 8th guy, better than having a young guy like Weber, who is likely gone, sitting in the press box.
I think the complaint here (that I agree with) is that this pushes Bouillon up the depth chart.

Signing Drewiske for two seasons at a very low cap hit means they plan on keeping as a 7th defenseman with a low salary. We all thought that Bouillon was going to be that serviceable defenseman. It seems like Bergevin plans on using bouillon as a number 6, which would suggest that he's keeping the same defense core as last season, which is a bad thing

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I think the complaint here (that I agree with) is that this pushes Bouillon up the depth chart.

Signing Drewiske for two seasons at a very low cap hit means they plan on keeping as a 7th defenseman with a low salary. We all thought that Bouillon was going to be that serviceable defenseman. It seems like Bergevin plans on using bouillon as a number 6, which would suggest that he's keeping the same defense core as last season, which is a bad thing
Like I said, the Habs carry 8th dmen, so with a healthy Emelin, Bouillon and Drew would be 7th 8th guys

If you look at Kaberle and Weber, our 7th 8th this past year, they barely played when everyone was healthy.

I mean by comparing next years 7th-8th dmen, to last years of Kaberle and Weber they are gritty and better defensively.

IMO Tinodri is a lock to make the team, and if Bergevin could move Diaz for a physical 2 way top4 dmen we should be fine, was thinking Seabrook early in the playoffs, who had a bad year but after these playoffs, no way he is going anywhere, but maybe so someone like Big Buff, Bieksa, can mix and match with the pairings.

Tinodri-Subban
Gorges-xxx
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Drewiske

If Bergevin could move Daiz and get a big dmen, we could have 4 dmen 6'2 or over, and not loss much offense from the backend.

To show how much that kinda change our size in the back end, last year we had 1 dmen over 6'1 in lineup, Emelin and Tinordi but he and Emelin where never in the lineup together.

Last edited by habs03: 06-16-2013 at 11:11 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:44 PM
DieHardHabs

Why is everyone so high up on Diaz. If he is in the Habs top 6 next year we are hurting! He is too small for playoff hockey. He was the absolute worse in the playoffs. His plus minus was bad and was the fault for a lot of the goals. turnovers and soft. He needs to go. We really going to keep him for a shot on the second pp unit? Time to give Emelin that role.

Diaz needs to go, Montreal needs to be tougher on the back end and it starts with moving him webber and buying out Kaberle.

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:00 PM
shutehinside

I can see our defense looking like this next year:

Gorges PK
Markov Tinordi (until Emelin gets back)
Bou Diaz
Drew

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote