HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

HF Mock Draft 24th Overall

View Poll Results: Who Does the Canucks Select 24th Overall?
Zach Fucale 0 0%
Pavel Buchnevich 1 0.95%
Kerby Rychel 30 28.57%
Robert Hagg 1 0.95%
Jason Dickinson 1 0.95%
Madison Bowey 1 0.95%
Samuel Morin 35 33.33%
JT Compher 0 0%
Steve Santini 0 0%
Nicolas Petan 14 13.33%
Dillon Heatherington 1 0.95%
Micheal McCarron 1 0.95%
Chris Bigras 0 0%
Atturi Lehkonen 1 0.95%
Morgan Klimchuk 11 10.48%
Laurent Dauphin 1 0.95%
Mirco Mueller 1 0.95%
Anthony Duclair 0 0%
Jordan Subban 1 0.95%
Ian McCoshen 0 0%
Emile Poirier 3 2.86%
Justin Bailey 0 0%
Shea Theodore 2 1.90%
Jacob De La Rose 0 0%
Oliver Bjorkstrand 0 0%
Zach Nastasiuk 0 0%
Tristan Jarry 0 0%
Ryan Fitzgerald 0 0%
Phillippe Desrosiers 0 0%
Connor Hurley 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
At the U-18's?

Mccoshen wasn't even there.
Probably got the name mixed up with someone else, sorry.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:34 PM
PRNuck
Wow. What a day.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Does anyone see anything Morin does that is better than Hal Gill besides skating? Give me your ratings vs Gill got areas of his game.
Wait, are you comparing him to Hal Gill with better skating and implying that's not a great draft pick at 24th?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Sounds a bit like Eric Johnson 2.0 to me Rychel is the guy I would take as we really need a type like him with scoring and a grit & toughness mix.
I'd be fine with Rychel, I just think Morin has an extremely high ceiling.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Wait, are you comparing him to Hal Gill with better skating and implying that's not a great draft pick at 24th?
Better skating, shot and offensive instincts.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:39 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

I think it's imperative we get a couple early second round pick. Lot's of potential in the second round.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:45 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I said I'd be very happy with that - if that is what he became. But I'm worried about these types of guys would you rather a guy the upside of a better skating Hal Gill or an Eberle/Giroux.

Secondly how may of these giant, low offense defensive Dmen 1st rounders actually work out? Serious question.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
jigsaw99
#fireAV

guarentee that Morin gets picked ahead of 24th via off the board pick by some GM that want a 6"6 defense man. He is the Jamie Oleksiak of this years draft.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
I said I'd be very happy with that - if that is what he became. But I'm worried about these types of guys would you rather a guy the upside of a better skating Hal Gill or an Eberle/Giroux.

Secondly how may of these giant, low offense defensive Dmen 1st rounders actually work out? Serious question.
The Eberle/Giroux upside picks have fairly big bust factors, hence why they're avaliable

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I think Gillis has already learned his lesson regarding Hodgson and Schroeder - both players dropped for a reason and now we're seeing why.

Gillis is an idiot if he drafts Petan over Morin, although it certainly wouldn't surprise me given the {Mod Edit} decisions this organization has been making lately.
He wouldn't be an idiot, he would be taking a big risk is all.

It would be like taking Giroux at the draft instead of Grabner.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:

In the league right now, Chara, Myers, and Hedman come to mind.

Depending on how you define giant, Weber(6'4) is another guy who didn't put up many points in his draft year and is successful now.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:59 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
I'd say its almost 100% based on the intangible mean streak.
There's definitely more to it than that. I would say his mean streak isn't even his top 3 qualities and his rise up the rankings was before you left, he was on the rise even before the U18s. CSS rankings proved that and his U18s improved it even more. So it shouldn't be a mind boggling surprise.

Quote:
Does anyone see anything Morin does that is better than Hal Gill besides skating? Give me your ratings vs Gill got areas of his game.
Morin has very good straight line speed, more mobile even if Morin's transitions can be cleaned up a bit. Morin makes a pretty good first pass, can be aggressive offensively, and shows good movement of the puck in the offensive zone. Both play very good defensive games, good shot blockers and can physically control the boards.

Let me ask you this, if Zadorov was available, would you still select Rychel? And why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Chose Petan - looks like Gallagher 2.0 to me. Morin at the U18 made some quick decisions with the puck that led to turnovers - McCoshen looked better.
I thought he played a rather tidy game in those televised. Tell me which games and i will rewatch it. From the top of my head, I remember two turnovers in the 4 games.

I thought the top 4 for Canada played excellent. Who was it that you believe stood out?

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:59 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
There's definitely more to it than that. I would say his mean streak isn't even his top 3 qualities and his rise up the rankings was before you left, he was on the rise even before the U18s. CSS rankings proved that and his U18s improved it even more. So it shouldn't be a mind boggling surprise.
I think its mind boggling the way people in this thread are mentioning him now, when there was very little mention of him earlier.

I was half being facetious, because everyone want the next Chara...big and mean, hell, its something I want too.

Like I mentioned when I brought it up, I have him in the top 20 have since my U-18 viewings, I just find the general consensus to draft Morin, let alone any dman to be a slight surprise.

I also get that he was on the rise before the U-18, but that was after 7 games, not having played in 2 months. Pretty small sample for such a big rise....I'm telling you its the lure of the next Chara that has a late rising large dmen and I'm fine with that. It's why it is a slight surprise that 35% of people on here are voting for him, when 2 months ago he was mentioned for our late 2nd (when we had it) and there wasn't even a consensus he'd be the BPA there.

Quote:
Morin has very good straight line speed, more mobile even if Morin's transitions can be cleaned up a bit. Morin makes a pretty good first pass, can be aggressive offensively, and shows good movement of the puck in the offensive zone. Both play very good defensive games, good shot blockers and can physically control the boards.

Let me ask you this, if Zadorov was available, would you still select Rychel? And why?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I have Morin ahead of Zadorov already. For a lot of the reasons you mentioned about his physical development.

Way more room to grow.

Quote:
I thought he played a rather tidy game in those televised. Tell me which games and i will rewatch it. From the top of my head, I remember two turnovers in the 4 games.

I thought the top 4 for Canada played excellent. Who was it that you believe stood out?
I didn't have a problem with any of team Canada's dmen. You mention the top 4, I thought it changed on a game by game basis, by the medal round Bigras and Theodore were the top minute men in those games IIRC.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:34 PM
offbeatgravy

Throwing in a vote for Madison Bowey. I got to watch him play in Kelowna a bit this year and really liked his game. He may be a bit raw, but he is a great skater, has a good shot and can play with an edge. Plus with Kelowna's reputation for producing good d-men, I think he would be a good pick. Also this would make up for us not picking Damon Severson last year for me.

offbeatgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
He's a skilled gritty power forward with skill, he's a sniper and seeing how Kassian is more of a playmaker these two could be a match and be pretty nasty to play against. He also isn't scared to drop the gloves to stick up for team mates, and he's a finisher!. I really want a center like Horvat, not happening at 24 or a guy like Lazar but if their both gone then I'm very ok with Rychel as he fits a need of a big power forward scorer.
Rychel - Schroeder - Kassian = Lucic - Krejci - Horton

we can dream right?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:57 PM
JerkChicken

Rychel.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:59 PM
biturbo19

Personally, i voted Jason Dickinson. To me, he's a guy with good size, skill, skating, and hockey iq. He has the ability to really carry the play at times, and while the consistency doesn't seem to be there necessarily, i love that he's not only a guy who can score goals, but can set up plays and make linemates better as well. His puck protection is also really impressive to me, particularly for a guy who is listed at a weight where i'd wager his frame is very much on the lean side.

Other guys behind that for me, Hagg is intriguing, and i'd even look at more wild pick like Klimchuk or Dauphin there.

Quote:
I don't know, i guess we disagree. Rychel is just a bit meh. He isn't very hard working when he doesn't have the puck. More than a few Spitfire STH have said he is lazy. He is an average skater and should not be confused with a power forward. He bumps players to try to knock them off the puck rather than physically punish players. He plays a very inconsistent physical game. Struggled under the pressure of carrying his team and playing for his father, more of a complimentary 3rd line winger potential, IMO. That said, he has an unteachable knack in front of the net and one of the best shots in the draft, I can see Gillis liking him even if i don't.

Morin's point totals could be a cause for concern, but his rise has been due to his trajectory and rapid development over the year. His coach praises him for his work ethic off the ice to improve his game; uses the example of having a weak point shot at the beginning of the year, he would stay long after practices to work on his shot, doing hundreds of shots a day to the point where his coach said he could not not put him on the PP at the end of the year. I like his mobility and skating, but it still has room to improve, much like the rest of him. He scored in the bottom 4 in upper body strength, which is crazy considering he looks strong on the ice, scored first in the Windgate and tied for 5th in the VO2 MAX. Naturally athletic but under-developed. Lots of potential here, which is why i went with him.
Pretty much exactly how i feel on Rychel. He has very impressive touch around the net...and honestly, that's about it. Away from the puck, or away from the opposing net area, he's a very 'meh' player at best from what i've seen. Doesn't seem to have the greatest vision, creativity, passing ability, skating, physicality, defensive instincts, anything really that set him apart from anyone. He's an 'Andrew Brunette' playing in Jr to me. And that makes me a bit leery. If he pans out...it seems like that '2nd/3rd line garbage man' to me at best. 24th isn't an early pick, but i'd still rather swing for a more 'dynamic' player there.

On Morin, i really haven't seen enough of him to know for sure. But at this point, i'm really missing the hype train. It just feels like a case of...'decent defenceman who garners attention because he's a giant'. Not that he's a bad prospect...i just can't help but think his size inflates his 'value' more than it should. As others have hinted at...a bit of the 'Chara effect'. But i get that there may be some untapped potential there...maybe.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:07 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
I'm more convinced of Zadorov, I think he's more of a sure thing. From the times I've watched him he just seems a little better all round than Morin. I think I would take him over Rychel. I just have more confidence in Zadarov than in Morin which is what is holding me back from picking Morin over Rychel. I can't quantify why I don't have as much confidence in Morin, I just don't. Morin feels like one on those late 30s to mid 40s guys that has the potential that in 3 or 4 years from now to make people regret not taking earlier. 35-45 range seems about right, balancing risk to reward - gambling he can translate size into an NHL career.

Question I keep asking myself is "Would I take Morin at 24 if he was 6'3"?" I can't say yes with any confidence.

Last edited by me2: 06-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:22 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
I think its mind boggling the way people in this thread are mentioning him now, when there was very little mention of him earlier.
I guess in that sense it is true. There was less than a handful of us talking about him in the draft thread, not a ton of interest.

Quote:
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I have Morin ahead of Zadorov already. For a lot of the reasons you mentioned about his physical development.

Way more room to grow.
Yeah, i think they should be at least in the same conversation. Very similar players. Both have a lot going for them, it'd be a tough choice for me.

Quote:
I didn't have a problem with any of team Canada's dmen. You mention the top 4, I thought it changed on a game by game basis, by the medal round Bigras and Theodore were the top minute men in those games IIRC.
For me, the pairings went:

Heatherington-Bowey
Morin - Morrissey
Bigras - Theodore

I thought Heatherington was the best defenseman on the team. I found that "3rd pairing" the weakest. Bigras was just okay, bobbled the puck a bunch, played a very unspectacular game and Theodore was again weak on the puck and did not win many battles. They didn't impress me, but they didn't hurt the team either. I just rewatched the gold medal game, that pairing gets hemmed in a ton and it explains at least some of the time differential. I checked the scoresheet just now, similar amnt of shifts, but much shorter shifts for Morin.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:01 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
thanks for the participation guys with the 24th overall pick the Vancouver Canucks select Samuel Morin

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

Toss up between Morin and Klimchuk.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote