HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Name Alain Vigneault Head Coach

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Josh3217

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Vigneault's not a good hire.
Let me guess.. you wanted Messier and Leetch?

Old
06-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Vigneault's not a good hire.
Reason being?

You wanted Messier?

Old
06-15-2013, 01:12 PM
bigbuffalo313

Any reason I got a French article?

Old
06-15-2013, 01:13 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
I like those AV news. Not that I'm overly enthusiastic but he is the best option on the market, imo. Has some experience in a big market city, can bring up young players, matches a lot of lines, and from what I've seen, is able to adjust to the other team on the fly. Seems to be a smart guy as well. It's kinda concerning that he couldn't get his roster to perform the last couple of POs but we'll see soon enough if that was the players' fault or his.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:14 PM
stan the caddy

French coach french article.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
Any reason I got a French article?
RDS is TSN in French.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:18 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

It doesn't contain a lot of information anyway.
Vingneault to coach the Rangers. Announcement to be made next couple of days. Didn't get the Stars job on Friday. Was coach of the Canucks, got swept by SJ. That's it.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Canucksarmy has a huge write up on AV and nails every pro and negative point perfectly.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:21 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Reason being?

You wanted Messier?
Hell no!

What people criticized Torts for is the story of AV's career in Vancouver. He's had really talented teams and consistently came up short in the playoffs.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:21 PM
NYRSchrute217

Considering what was available, no complaints with this hire. The only real concerns I have are the handling of young players, because Kreider is at a critical stage of his development right now and we need him to grow into a productive player.

Other than that, a strong defensive system with the ability to be creative and open up the offense is what this team needs. I think Nash will thrive under Vigneault.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Happy to see him land on his feet.

The last time you plucked an ex-Canuck coach you had him for 5-6 season but never made it past the second round.

Hope AV bring you more success.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Hell no!

What people criticized Torts for is the story of AV's career in Vancouver. He's had really talented teams and consistently came up short in the playoffs.
People criticized Torts for many reasons, not all of them are characteristics of AV. They are similar, yet different enough. I think AV will be a better fit with this group.

Can't call it a bad hire until you see results.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:27 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Hell no!

I still go back and look at that series against Boston. I think you can blame the forwards and Luongo, but how much blame does AV get for that? I'm not really sure. I

Old
06-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Considering what was available, no complaints with this hire. The only real concerns I have are the handling of young players, because Kreider is at a critical stage of his development right now and we need him to grow into a productive player.

Other than that, a strong defensive system with the ability to be creative and open up the offense is what this team needs. I think Nash will thrive under Vigneault.
Funny in the Canucks Army article they listed his pros and cons, one con being his handling of young players, while one pro was his development of players. So I imagine it wont be a disaster, if the players are ready to play in the NHL I think he will help them develop well, while if he is forced to use borderline NHLers he might have a hard time utilizing them.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:29 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
People criticized Torts for many reasons, not all of them are characteristics of AV. They are similar, yet different enough. I think AV will be a better fit with this group.

Can't call it a bad hire until you see results.
I'm entitled to my opinion, too. You think he's be a better fit, I think he'll be meh.

Tippett was the best coach out there.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:30 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Rangers are hiring one of the top 10 best in the business, I dont think you can dispute that. Much better than someone with absolutely no coaching experience.

AV's experience all of those years in a tougher West, will also help this year considering that 2 Western teams are coming East this season. Can't hurt to have some familiarity there.

I think this is a perfect fit for AV, his 3rd coaching spot (usually there is some success there, see Julien and Quennville)... HE's coached for over 25 years in some capacity, so theres no shortage of experience.

A championship at the Junior level, Two presidents trophys, a Jack Adams, multiple division wins and playoff appearances, 1 win away from cup... I dont think you can argue with his resume. Sure he hasnt had fantastic success in the postseason, but hes been there and he striving for a Cup just like this Rangers team is. Sometimes its a good thing to not always fall back on the "well, hes won a cup" excuse. Sometimes those coaches rely too heavily on experiences that provided past success instead of really understanding what needs to happen with what they have in front of them.

Solid choice.

Lets get on to the FA's and camp.

This makes things a little more exciting, just hoping that ANOTHER major offseason turnover from the Rangers works out big time over the course of the next 1-3 seasons.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:31 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I still go back and look at that series against Boston. I think you can blame the forwards and Luongo, but how much blame does AV get for that? I'm not really sure. I
I wouldn't blame him for that playoff run at all. That was the best playoff run they had.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
No official confirmation but one source says Vigneault to become #Rangers head coach. Working on final details of the deal. To be continued.
https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/st...64774271639552

Old
06-15-2013, 01:33 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
I'm entitled to my opinion, too. You think he's be a better fit, I think he'll be meh.

Tippett was the best coach out there.
Except he wasn't really out there bc our GM wanted the new coach before the 30th of June (whether that's moronic or not). Also, not so sure Tippett intends to leave PHX now that they apparently are staying in Glendale.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post

Yes, Kreider is going to be a very interesting story this year. Its a big year for him, but i'll have to say its not all about the coach, its on the player to impress as well.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:37 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Except he wasn't really out there bc our GM wanted the new coach before the 30th of June (whether that's moronic or not). Also, not so sure Tippett intends to leave PHX now that they apparently are staying in Glendale.
If Glen can't compete with the Phoenix Coyotes on a coaching hire then he's not cut out for this job.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hoping for a mutual French-Canadian connection between AV and Brassard and the kid goes ape **** for the next several years with the Rangers.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Rangers79

Quote:
If Glen can't compete with the Phoenix Coyotes on a coaching hire then he's not cut out for this job.
That has nothing to do with the statement you quoted...Tippet already has a contract that doesn't expire till june 30th and they wanted a coach before the draft so they could interview players and get an idea for the new system/team worked out.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers 4m

Quote:
Alain Vigneault is being signed right now to become the next head coach of the Rangers, per source #NYR

Old
06-15-2013, 01:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Alain Vigneault is being signed right now to become the next head coach of the Rangers, per source
https://twitter.com/NYDNRangers/stat...72821240995841

Quote:
Alain Vigneault is the New Coach of the NY Rangers!
https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...73773536727040

Closed Thread