Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Where could future OHL teams exist?

Old
08-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Leviathan

vCash: 500
Where could future OHL teams exist?

I don't come to this forum very often so I'm sorry if there's a thread already on this.

Just wondering where people think would be a great location in Ontario for an OHL franchise where there currently isn't one - either expansion or through a move. Obviously it'd be nice to have more in the GTA but it doesn't always go so well there.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a small to medium-sized place that would show up and be very dedicated to their team, kinda like Owen Sound.

Parry Sound is my second home so I kinda hope that one day it could have a team. Then I looked up the town's population growth and found out its been stagnant since 1940 That being said cottaging has really increased business in the town in recent years.

Any candidate towns/cities?

Last edited by Leviathan: 08-19-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:11 AM
StormSurge9

It seems every time this question is asked, Chatham comes up as an answer.

I would be 100% ok with this as it's my hometown.

But sadly, I doubt it ever will.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Torts

a team in the hamilton/burlington area potentially

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
sickest flow bro

just off the top of my head some potential spots are

North Bay
Thunder Bay
Cornwall
Chatham
Hamilton
Burlington
Vaughan

and some Americal cities such as

Syracuse
Buffalo
Rochester

Although all have some reason why they don't have teams...those are my potential spots that could probably support one.

sickest flow bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Libbs

With how bad teams draw around the GTA, I wouldn't expect another team in that area any time soon.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Just to add a few places that we have heard around the Barrie Molson Centre..

Orillia
Newmarket

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Ward Cornell

A cpl places that I think may work are:
1) Stratford (also would draw from Windsor, London, Sarnia
Kitchener and Guelph and the fan from Mississauga)
2) Huntsville (maybe not all that big but has $$$$ in town)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:37 PM
JNES

I've talked to a few people in Kingston that think a Team would be really popular there.

JNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:47 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnk 4 Frk 2012 View Post

Syracuse
Buffalo
Rochester

Perhaps Branch better get a team into New York State soon!!

With all the bellyaching that Patrick Roy has done as part of the Peca saga, one of his beefs is that the Q has the smallest talent pool to draft from out of the three CHL leagues.

What's to stop the Q from putting a team into NY state? Yes, I know of the failed Plattsburgh franchise, but wouldn't it be worth it to get their hands on all the NY state talent? Even if it meant that the other teams in the Q could help prop up that team to a certain extent if there are hard times? Plattsburgh happened a long time ago too. No reason why CHL hockey couldn't work somewhere in NY state today.

Look at how many great players from NY have gone through the OHL over the years. It would be a big win for the Q for sure. Also, the Q could then argue that since they "own" New York state, a realignment of who owns territorial rights to what US state could be in the cards. It could be argued that at least New Jersey could fall under the Q's territory.

Roy is pissed off right now because he didn't get his way. He will probably put a bug in someone's ear as to one way to boost the talent pool for the Q.

To answer your question though, outside of a team in NY state, where I think the OHL should put a team for the above reason, my two spots I'd like to see junior hockey is back in North Bay and Cornwall.

City population and building size are issues though. I know Cornwall built a new building a few years ago but I don't think they built it at OHL capacity. I also don't know if it could be expanded either.

Bottom line is that the only way OHL hockey finds it's way back into those two markets is if someone with big bucks wants a team there. You know, guys like Melnyk in Missy and Abbott in Brampton. Guys who's OHL franchises aren't life and death on attendance.

There is the success in Owen Sound to look at though. That team is doing OK after 20 years or so in a very small market. It can be done.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

North Bay
Thunder Bay
Cornwall
Chatham
Hamilton
Burlington
Vaughan

Syracuse
Buffalo
Rochester

Although all have some reason why they don't have teams...those are my potential spots that could probably support one.
Teams in and around the gta do not draw all that well adding 3 more teams into a area that does not have a real big taste for major is not a great idea.Chatham and cornwall are possible and the 3 americans teams are aslo possible i think.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:17 PM
mcreferee

Quote:

North Bay
Thunder Bay
Cornwall
Chatham
Hamilton
Burlington
Vaughan

Syracuse
Buffalo
Rochester

There have been rumours about Burlington in the past. Started back around the time the IceDogs were for sale...and have continued around the 'Dogs and their arena situation. I recall there being a local buyer interested, but the area rumoured to be the site for the facility was off Burloak and that area has been developed pretty quickly. There were also rumours of Aldershot, but I don't see where you could build a 5,000+ seat arena there. Unless a facility is built...and I'm not sure where it would go...I find this highly unlikely.

mcreferee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:38 PM
KnightRanger

Waterloo could use a team or Kitchener needs a 10,000+ seat arena. Season ticket wait list for the Rangers is more than 4 years now! I would know.....I'm on it and have been for more than 3 years, but I think I will get some for next season. Hopefully!

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
krazy kanuck

North Bay: A former OHL city. Would seem like a good fit, geographically (for teams such as Sudbury, SSM, and Ottawa).
Thunder Bay: Would be a good choice, a nightmare for transportation.
Cornwall: Another former OHL city. I think the population base has been pretty stagnant there for a while.
Chatham: As mentioned above, seems like a logical choice.
Hamilton: Another former OHL city. I don't know about Hamilton though...they already have the Bulldogs.
Burlington: Interesting choice. Far enough away from Toronto? Where to play?
Vaughan: The GTA is a nightmare. So called "hockey fans" only watch the Leafs.
Orillia: Too small and couldn't support the Terriers. Seems unlikely though I love the place.
Newmarket: I lived in Newmarket for years and I can't see it. Couldn't support the Saints or Royals. Everybody there goes to T.O. for entertainment...even when the Saints were essentially the Leafs people would travel down for Leafs games instead of paying $8 for the Saints.

As for the American cities, I'd prefer fewer not more.

Best,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNES View Post
I've talked to a few people in Kingston that think a Team would be really popular there.
Love this comment. So true.

I think Cornwall would be a good place to put a team... again. New York is definitely a must, and so is putting a bigger rink in KW.

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

My opinion is the league does not need any more teams. Some of the talent is really watered down, I almost think 2 less teams would greatly benefit the entertainment value.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:08 PM
coolhockeyjack
Bobby looooou

Quote:

North Bay
Thunder Bay
Cornwall
Chatham
Hamilton
Burlington
Vaughan

and some American cities such as

Syracuse
Buffalo
Rochester

North Bay- Has the Battalion now.
Thunder Bay- Travel is the main issue.
Cornwall- Logical location hosted the Royals in the Q from 1981 to 1992. Also hosted the Aces of the AHL from 1993–1996.
Chatham- Sarnia, London, Windsor are too close.
Hamilton- Not Likely, Hosted Hockey before. Rumours were the otters were moving there. Already have the Bulldogs of the AHL.
Burlington- Good location, alternative to Hamiltion.
Vaughan- GTA is a nightmare with Junior Hockey. Lost Brampton, And they only have interest in the Leafs.

Syracuse- Not likely, already have a successful AHL team in the Crunch.
Buffalo- Would have trouble supporting one, they have the Sabres, the Bulldogs are near. And the Ice Dogs are in St.Catharines
Rochester- It would be hard to support one. They have the Americans in the AHL. The Sabres are right near them. They are not to far from Ice Dogs and Bulldogs

coolhockeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhockeyjack View Post
Cornwall- Logical location hosted the Royals in the Q from 1981 to 1992. Also hosted the Aces of the AHL from 1993–1996.
The Royals were in the QMJHL from 1969-1981, and then in the OHL from 1981-1992.

The move to the OHL was really their undoing... Their best bet, should they get a team back, would be to go back with the Q, IMO. Try to cash in on the Montérégie like they used to...

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhockeyjack View Post
North Bay- Has the Battalion now.
Thunder Bay- Travel is the main issue.
Chatham- Sarnia, London, Windsor are too close.
Hamilton- Not Likely, Hosted Hockey before. Rumours were the otters were moving there. Already have the Bulldogs of the AHL.
Burlington- Good location, alternative to Hamiltion.
Vaughan- GTA is a nightmare with Junior Hockey. Lost Brampton, And they only have interest in the Leafs.

Syracuse- Not likely, already have a successful AHL team in the Crunch.
Buffalo- Would have trouble supporting one, they have the Sabres, the Bulldogs are near. And the Ice Dogs are in St.Catharines
Rochester- It would be hard to support one. They have the Americans in the AHL. The Sabres are right near them. They are not to far from Ice Dogs and Bulldogs
Sarnia,Windsor and London would be foolish to vote for Chatham for a team.Their attendance at all 3 arenas would be affected. I would also doubt that chatham could support a team anyways.Times are tough in Chatham Kent. I would suspect corporate sponsership would be tough also.

massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

I still say a ohl team comes to hamertown when bulldogs move in 2-3 yrs to laval

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Stratford if they built a 4000-5000 seat arena would be the absolutely best location for a team in the Western Conference.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Frankenrogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
I still say a ohl team comes to hamertown when bulldogs move in 2-3 yrs to laval
I bet they have one in 2014-2015. Something is going on with the owner there. He was apparently looking at Erie a few months ago. Maybe he knows that the AHL franchise will move to Laval in 2014 but he has McDavid and the Otters ready to come in.

I think Buffalo would be worth exploring. There is a wait on the season tickets and low turnover. They also bought a minor hockey league to play near the main arena so there is interest in the development or at least making money from it.

Frankenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Johnsb

I have heard Markham. New arena.

Johnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:27 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
I bet they have one in 2014-2015. Something is going on with the owner there. He was apparently looking at Erie a few months ago. Maybe he knows that the AHL franchise will move to Laval in 2014 but he has McDavid and the Otters ready to come in.

I think Buffalo would be worth exploring. There is a wait on the season tickets and low turnover. They also bought a minor hockey league to play near the main arena so there is interest in the development or at least making money from it.
1. Re Erie: Maybe, but a lot of levels of government spent around $40 million to upgrade the Erie Insurance Arena-so that investment could go to waste if the top tenant up and leaves. Personally, I think that they'll sign a long-term lease at some point next season.

2. As for Buffalo: Yes. However, they'd have to limit it to just the lower bowl and 200s unless there's major interest in an opponent. (Can it work? Well, as Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver show....certainly; they ranked 1,2 and 3 in the WHL in attendance last season.) As for the junior hockey group, they're currently known as the Buffalo Regals-but come September 2014, they'll be part of the Buffalo Jr. Sabres organization and play at the HarborCenter's main rink(which will also be Canisius College's home rink).

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE

So Thunder Bay is building a new events centre that will be plenty big and glitzy enough to accommodate a hockey team. It is being built primarily to replace the Fort William Gardens which has housed the LU Thunderwolves and previously the Flyers. Do you think there is any chance an OHL team will come and fill this rink?

EDIT: Or would the WHL be a better place for Thunder Bay, given its proximity to their east division?

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Thunder Bay would have to fly to all their games, teams would have to fly to them. So it's a no go.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote