HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Why the Blackhawks are losing (money)

Old
06-15-2013, 04:13 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Why the Blackhawks are losing (money)

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...e-losing-money

Despite making a second Stanley Cup Final appearance in four seasons and obliterating television ratings records, the Chicago Blackhawks will need at least two more years before turning a profit, owner Rocky Wirtz says.

Even with higher ticket and sponsorship revenues this season, Crain's estimates the Blackhawks annually spend between $10 million and $20 million more than they take in

The team generates $20 million to $25 million annually from sponsorships, television rights fees, including those from Comcast SportsNet Chicago (of which Mr. Wirtz is a part owner) and assorted income such as merchandise sales. That doesn't cover a third of the $68 million cost of player salaries. The Blackhawks spend nearly $20 million on staff, coaches and payments to subsidize the league's 10 lowest revenue-generating franchises as required under the NHL's newly minted collective bargaining agreement. Thus the reliance on ticket revenue.

Before the Stanley Cup playoffs began, the team said it would raise prices on next year's season tickets, which account for about 75 percent of all tickets sold, by an average of 16 percent, translating to an overall average ticket price of more than $70.

If a team like the Hawks can't make a profit, what hope is there for the bottom teams?

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
MarkhamNHL

vCash: 500
Wirtz has only himself to blame... he is supporting keeping teams in idiotic places where the game can't be supported at the NHL level, so I don't feel sorry for him. Only the NHL can turn millions into red ink...

keep up the good work and soon we'll be back to 6 teams as no one else can afford to float Phoenix and their ilk anymore...

MarkhamNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Despite making a second Stanley Cup Final appearance in four seasons and obliterating television ratings records, the Chicago Blackhawks will need at least two more years before turning a profit, owner Rocky Wirtz says.

Even with higher ticket and sponsorship revenues this season, Crain's estimates the Blackhawks annually spend between $10 million and $20 million more than they take in

The team generates $20 million to $25 million annually from sponsorships, television rights fees, including those from Comcast SportsNet Chicago (of which Mr. Wirtz is a part owner) and assorted income such as merchandise sales. That doesn't cover a third of the $68 million cost of player salaries. The Blackhawks spend nearly $20 million on staff, coaches and payments to subsidize the league's 10 lowest revenue-generating franchises as required under the NHL's newly minted collective bargaining agreement. Thus the reliance on ticket revenue.

Before the Stanley Cup playoffs began, the team said it would raise prices on next year's season tickets, which account for about 75 percent of all tickets sold, by an average of 16 percent, translating to an overall average ticket price of more than $70.

If a team like the Hawks can't make a profit, what hope is there for the bottom teams?
Decent hope, actually. If they spend to the salary floor, for starters, rather than the ceiling, then have a great season and some sort of playoff run, and have revenue sent their way from teams like the Blackhawks, then there's no reason why bottom-feeder teams can't turn a profit...unless you're the Phoenix Coyotes, of course.

OilersFan1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:22 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i call ********.

06-15-2013, 04:30 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i call ********.
So, I'm not the only one, who thinks $20m-$25m annually from sponsorships, television rights fees and merchandise sounds very low for such a popular team?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
i call ********.
you should.

...and the reason the team isn't losing money (or, at least, it's misleading to say they're losing money) is set out in the article

Quote:
The team's losses are covered easily by his other highly successful interests, including Wirtz Beverage Co., which last year had nearly $2 billion in sales and distributes to the United Center, where his Blackhawks are a tenant.
He has some similar arrangement set up with other stuff, too...I think parking and some of the concessions - where they're owned by and their profits are captured in other companies Wirtz owns. If you have time to google things, there's an article out there which details the other $ Wirtz makes though other companies but are really Blackhawks-related. i'll see if i can dig it up.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

what threw me is the : nearly $20M in staff, coaches, and revenue sharing.

staff+coaches shouldnt cost more than 5M-8M (lets say 3-4M for the coach and GM)

that means the hawks are giving significant amounts of revenue sharing money, which means their HRR is considerably higher than this article leads us to believe.

My suspicion is that HRR like parking for games, concessions, arena naming rights (50% with bulls), luxury boxes (50% with bulls), etc are being considered in this article as "United Center" revenues, which for accounting purposes may make sense, but the NHL really treats them as HRR internally.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
Wirtz has only himself to blame... he is supporting keeping teams in idiotic places where the game can't be supported at the NHL level, so I don't feel sorry for him. Only the NHL can turn millions into red ink...

keep up the good work and soon we'll be back to 6 teams as no one else can afford to float Phoenix and their ilk anymore...
Maybe the fact that they were one of the places where a team was located that didn't support them for like 10-15 years and they accrued mountains of debt which needs to be paid back. Funny how people forget 7 years ago they had horrible attendance which if not for the northern location of the city would have had people screaming relocation/contraction.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:

staff+coaches shouldnt cost more than 5M-8M (lets say 3-4M for the coach and GM)
Are the AHL farm team staff costs included or separate?

Head Coaches salaries seem to be in the range of $1m-3m
Associates probably 3/4s to 1/2 ($500k-$1.75m)
Assistants probably 1/3rd to 1/2 ($350k-$1.5m)

And how many NHL coaches on the team (HC, defense, offense, special teams, goalie, skating, video)? I can easily see $10m just for half a dozen coaches.

Equipment manager, assistants. Trainer, masseuses. (Not to mention the additional part time/game day staff.)

GM, staff. Scouts. (Do they include the travel costs for scouting department in that $$?)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Ernie

If history has told us anything, you should never, ever, ever trust a sports franchise's self reported earnings.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
It's all a load of crap. Just creative accounting, nothing more.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Hawkscap

Someone should really pin him down on this. He is still probably using the loans the Hawks got from Wirtz Inc in the 2000s in his Calculations.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:

that means the hawks are giving significant amounts of revenue sharing money, which means their HRR is considerably higher than this article leads us to believe.

My suspicion is that HRR like parking for games, concessions, arena naming rights (50% with bulls), luxury boxes (50% with bulls), etc are being considered in this article as "United Center" revenues, which for accounting purposes may make sense, but the NHL really treats them as HRR internally.
Could be they're just counting the % of playoff ticket sales that go towards revenue sharing.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
It's all a load of crap. Just creative accounting, nothing more.
Yup.

They co-own the barn. The revenues from that, along with other parts of the business, will mean the overall venture is turning a profit.

Not as blatant as the Panthers, but same overall strategy - paper loss on the team is still a winner in the pocket.

not a trapdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:36 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I wouldn't be surprised if there are big loans from Wirtz Corp sitting on the books and the Hawks are making interest payments back to the company (that they're also writing off).

Also, keep in mind that Wirtz co-owns the UC ... and I 'm sure the Hawks are paying a healthy amount of rent back to the venture.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:07 PM
HabsByTheBay

I can't believe I'm the first guy to mention that he owns part of the TV network. That's a classic place to hide money - report artificially low rights fees while hiding that you're making a killing on TV.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 123
Sheesh... Wish this guy would stop crying poor with this nonsense accounting already.

Under no realistic definition of HRR, i.e. game day tickets and sales (including concessions), merchandising, and TV, are the Hawks actually in the red. Just a joke that this lie repeatedly gets perpetuated, from Wirtz and other owners.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:06 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Hawks to Seattle !

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Ismellofhockey

So they're raising ticket prices 16% and the team is claiming to be in financial difficulty. Now if only I could find a link between the two, some kind of connection where one would explain, or somehow attempt to justify the other.... what could it be? That's a tough one.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:21 PM
DWD

This too funny. The way I see it is that if the Blackhawks were really losing money. They would not pay into revenue sharing.
The article quoted said they were.

DWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I'm thinking a lot of teams will lose money this season. Bonus monies will still be paid to the players without revenues from lost games. I also love the wording that they "subsidize" other teams. All pro sports have some form of revenue sharing but only in hockey does the media and fans whine constantly about it existing. It's existed in the NFL since the 70's and that helped kick start the incredible growth because of it.

Last edited by Gnashville: 06-15-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:28 PM
archangel archangel

Quote:
i call ********.
yep--Hawks own part of the arena and I believe Wirtz is not factoring this into the day to day revenues when talking about money

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:51 PM
beepeearr

Hmmm if they are really losing money, which he really isn't, why would they be putting money into the revenue sharing, which he says he is, which means they are one of the profitable teams doesn't it?

beepeearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there are big loans from Wirtz Corp sitting on the books and the Hawks are making interest payments back to the company (that they're also writing off).

Also, keep in mind that Wirtz co-owns the UC ... and I 'm sure the Hawks are paying a healthy amount of rent back to the venture.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/sp...irtz.html?_r=0

Wirtz became team chairman soon after his father died and learned firsthand how bad the franchise’s finances were.

He had to use $40 million in family business money to finance players’ salaries through the 2006-7 season. Fans had been abandoning the team for years; attendance was lingering close to the bottom of the league.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Got my laugh for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

If you assume Chicago makes a paltry $1 MM/game on gate, that's $45 MM + $25 MM (before playoff revenues which add another $10-20 MM), so player costs are taken care of right there. Furthermore, if the Hawks are paying into revenue sharing, they are in the top ten of NHL HRR ranking, which ostensibly puts them well into the $100+ MM club.

Quote:
Which would have mean $60 avg ticket price, with 22,000 capacity, x 45 home dates = $60 MM from gate alone.

Quote:

There is a formula they use for shared NBA arenas. You're right however. This seriously underestimates their actual revenues, and even HRR. My quick/dirty up there with just the average ticket price shows they're well ahead of most NHL cities (in the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
So they're raising ticket prices 16% and the team is claiming to be in financial difficulty. Now if only I could find a link between the two, some kind of connection where one would explain, or somehow attempt to justify the other.... what could it be? That's a tough one.
Yes, exactly.

And as they keep raising prices and growing revenue at a faster rate than the league average, guess what happens to the cap?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote