Old
04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Hey guys,

I have a job offer in San Antonio that I'm mulling over. If anyone knows the city and has any advice on good neighborhoods to live in (for a young single guy) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
San Antonio is a great city. I would jump on the opportunity to work there.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:43 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Star View Post
Good afternoon Stars fans,

Having finally put the Thrashers behind me before this season (good riddance), I have welcomed back into my heart the team that first brought me my love of hockey, and, hopefully, won't leave me for a frozen truck stop on the Canadian Prairies.

So, with my bags soon to be packed and girlfriend in tow, I will be making the 5 1/2 hours drive west on I-20 Friday morning to Dallas to spend the weekend bar hopping, and attending my first game at AAC.

I've already purchased tickets off of ebay (section 112, row H), and have a hotel right downtown. My question to you guys is, what do you suggest I do Friday and Saturday night to maximize my trip?

I was in Dallas last September for the Alabama game, and had a great time. However, I wasn't able to go out to the bars Friday night, because I had to pick someone up early Saturday morning. Besides the Loon of course, what are some great bars around McKinney (or near it) that are a "must see?"

As for the game Saturday, I want to have the full gameday experience. Are there tailgates, or is the plaza really the go-to for drinking and Music.

Any and all tips are welcome, so let me have it.

GO STARS!
I live right across from the AAC. The "Party" on the plaza is pretty lame. If you like hearing Journey and Katy Perry covers go there lol.

Bar-wise, it's all about McKinney Ave. It's kind of pricey and you'll run into a few self entitled SMU kids, but it's pretty cool. If you're okay with going to sketchier areas, the drinks are a lot cheaper in Deep Elm. That's where the music scene is. Also, check out the House of Blues, it's close to the AAC and big bands play there.

Do yourself and favor and eat a s load of Mexican food. It's all over Dallas. A really good option that's awesome when you're hoping between bars or just wanting a quick lunch is Velvet Taco. It's TexMex. The buffalo chicken taco's (don't remember exactly what they're called) kick ass.

The Rangers don't play very close to downtown Dallas, but that's always an option.

The Dallas aquarium is quite badass. I lived in Atlanta for a summer and like the Dallas one better than ATL's. You could also go o the JFK museum.

I've also heard Top Golf is a lot of fun (even for couples with zero golfing expierience).

Last little tip. My fiancé and I usually go to brunch at this place called Lucky's. All the waiters there are older gay (homosexual if that get's censored) guys. They win best service in Dallas pretty much every year. Great breakfast food till 2pm on Saturdays.

Really last tip. Pick up,a copy of the Observer or go to their site: dallasobserver.com . They write really great articles and tell you everything that is going on in Dallas.

Enjoy your trip. Sorry about the product on the ice ahead of time.

Last edited by TrillMike: 04-04-2013 at 09:37 PM.
TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
San Antonio is a great city. I would jump on the opportunity to work there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Live on the northern side.
Thanks for the responses. Is SA a safe city compared to the other big cities (Dallas,Austin,Houston)?

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Thanks for the responses. Is SA a safe city compared to the other big cities (Dallas,Austin,Houston)?
Safer than Houston. Austin is the safest of the bunch, but San Antonio has got some rough areas for sure.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Houston has some absolutely terrifying suburbs. Sharpstown comes to mind.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
San An is perfectly safe downtown but tends to have more crime overall in the metro area compared to Austin and DFW, at least that's my impression.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
JBauerly97

What can any of you guys tell me about Euless? Family guy with young kids from Michigan looking to possibly relocate to that area. Safety is a big concern as we live in a small town with virtually no crime currently.

JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
What part of Euless? There are nice pockets and not so nice ones. Euless is generally the poorer of the Mid-Cities (Hurst/Euless/Bedford). But as with all of them the areas north of highway 183 tend to be a bit more affluent. The Stars actually have one of their proprietary rinks in Euless off of highway 10 at the Texas Star complex (also home to a golf course and other fields). There are some more recent developments around there but it's still a very mixed kind of thing with heavy-ish industry, sketchy apartment complexes, and limited retail here and there. Trinity high school is one of the football powerhouses in the state. Euless actually has one of the highest populations of Pacific Islanders in the country (Samoa/Tonga). It's going to be generally safe anywhere around there, but not small-town no crime safe obviously.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
JBauerly97

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
What part of Euless? There are nice pockets and not so nice ones. Euless is generally the poorer of the Mid-Cities (Hurst/Euless/Bedford). But as with all of them the areas north of highway 183 tend to be a bit more affluent. The Stars actually have one of their proprietary rinks in Euless off of highway 10 at the Texas Star complex (also home to a golf course and other fields). There are some more recent developments around there but it's still a very mixed kind of thing with heavy-ish industry, sketchy apartment complexes, and limited retail here and there. Trinity high school is one of the football powerhouses in the state. Euless actually has one of the highest populations of Pacific Islanders in the country (Samoa/Tonga). It's going to be generally safe anywhere around there, but not small-town no crime safe obviously.
I know my wife has a friend that is just a few blocks from the rink, so we were thinking somewhere around there, unless it's sketchy there.

I plan to fly down in the next few months to check things out and get a better feel, but want to know as much as I can prior to.

Last edited by JBauerly97: 05-07-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: a
JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:14 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

I'm not sure where to post this but I just found out I'm moving to Dallas next month and I need to know two things. Where can I find a competitive men's league and what areas should I be looking at that are relatively cheap but not the worst in terms of crime, isolation, etc. I'm not really to concerned about location as long as it's not totally in the sticks.

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:01 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooneyConnSmythe12 View Post
I'm not sure where to post this but I just found out I'm moving to Dallas next month and I need to know two things. Where can I find a competitive men's league and what areas should I be looking at that are relatively cheap but not the worst in terms of crime, isolation, etc. I'm not really to concerned about location as long as it's not totally in the sticks.
northern dallas suburbs are for you. most of the ice rinks in the area are concentrated around there... starcenters (from south to north) in farmers branch, plano, frisco, and mckinney... other rinks in frisco (mall near stars practice facility) and richardson (where i play).

competition should not be a problem, as there are lots of transplants from the east and north. heck, if you're at the right place at the right time, you could find yourself skating against ed belfour.

those suburbs have a good mix of affluent and middle class. as far as i know, no areas horribly riddled with crime but some with more shady elements.

also, if you're into roller hockey at all, there's an outdoor rink with a surprisingly good surface in allen (another northern suburb). guys play out there a few nights a week. rink time is free there too.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
northern dallas suburbs are for you. most of the ice rinks in the area are concentrated around there... starcenters (from south to north) in farmers branch, plano, frisco, and mckinney... other rinks in frisco (mall near stars practice facility) and richardson (where i play).

competition should not be a problem, as there are lots of transplants from the east and north. heck, if you're at the right place at the right time, you could find yourself skating against ed belfour.

those suburbs have a good mix of affluent and middle class. as far as i know, no areas horribly riddled with crime but some with more shady elements.

also, if you're into roller hockey at all, there's an outdoor rink with a surprisingly good surface in allen (another northern suburb). guys play out there a few nights a week. rink time is free there too.
Thanks, that's all good info. Edit: come to think of it, I played hockey with a guy who played for the CHL team in Allen a few years ago.

Last edited by RooneyConnSmythe12: 06-15-2013 at 06:41 PM.
RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Bhrangerfan0809

Dallas Stars shop

I'll be in Dallas tomorrow and I would like to know what the best place to buy Stars gear is. Any official stores or just sports stores that have a good selection of Stars apparel? I heard there is one in Frisco that has a very good amount of items.

Bhrangerfan0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Clardz

The Frisco one has some stuff in it, but it, like many of the other Stars shops I imagine, is in a "state of transition" because of the rebranding.

Clardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
StoneColdGMJN

Euless one is fully loaded. Frisco has the most by far, though.

StoneColdGMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Bhrangerfan0809

Great, thanks guys.

Bhrangerfan0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 11:11 PM
ginblossoms

beware, there won't be any of the new jerseys. you can preorder them online though. at the frisco store, i don't recall seeing anything with the old branding. that was last week during the development camp.

Old
07-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

The girlfriend and I just booked our trip to Dallas from 12/5 (get in at night) to 12/8.. She's a big Flyers fan and has a friend who lives down there so we'll meet him for the game. We have this mission of seeing one of our teams play in every NHL arena and Dallas is next on the list. Two questions:

1 - We're fresh out of college and looking to save money, so we'd like to avoid renting a car. What do you guys think about if we stayed at the Ramada by the Lovefield airport (1575 Regal Row, I-35E Stemmons and Regal Row, Dallas)? It's close enough that we can take the train from Burbank Station to Victory Station. And we'd probably go to the aquarium on that Friday, so it would be another trainable activity. I guess my only concerns are will we be able to access other activities (anything free that's good?) as well as authentic Texas BBQ and Mexican food?

2 - I'm trying to collect a season ticket from every arena when possible (some teams no longer offer the season tickets all printed up on card stock, some have switched to print-outs or digital tix only). I'm guessing that Dallas still has the nice, colorful season tickets.

Would any STH be willing to sell us their pair for the game, trade for a comporable pair elsewhere in the arena if we buy from StubHub and don't get season tickets, or trade for my pair up here in New Jersey if you happen to be up here on January 9th?

Thanks guys!

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:34 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Hey Stars fans, I'll be visiting a friend in the DFW area from December 24th to the 30th and was wanting some assistance in figuring out what to do and stuff. I'm definitely going to Stars-Preds on the 27th and really want to go to Cowboys Eagles on the 29th. Potentially a Mavs game but that's not a priority like the other two. How easy are tickets to acquire? It seems like I can just hop on a train to the AAC but AT&T seems a bit far. I'm likely relying on public transport as I'm not sure he has a car there.

Besides sports, I probably would visit Uni campuses to check out the famed US College life and stuff. I'm not 21 but I'd check out the bar areas if possible. Any big malls, restaurants, cool places or anything you'd recommend? I'm likely to just be running around exploring for a week so literally anything goes.

Thanks in advance for the input it's much appreciated.

Last edited by EchoesoftheEighties: 08-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.
EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
fillmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post

1 - We're fresh out of college and looking to save money, so we'd like to avoid renting a car. What do you guys think about if we stayed at the Ramada by the Lovefield airport (1575 Regal Row, I-35E Stemmons and Regal Row, Dallas)? It's close enough that we can take the train from Burbank Station to Victory Station. And we'd probably go to the aquarium on that Friday, so it would be another trainable activity. I guess my only concerns are will we be able to access other activities (anything free that's good?) as well as authentic Texas BBQ and Mexican food?
Just checked, and it's about a 25 minute walk to the station from that hotel. There's also a bus that take 11 mintues, so the Burbank to Victory idea is sound. Other things you can do in downtowny areas for free: check out the Kylde Warren park. Its a recently constructed park that spans over a submerged highway. The Dallas Museum of Art is free to the public (except for special exhibits). You can walk around the arts district and check out the spiffy buildings.

As for food, if you have the time, check out the Pecan Lodge. It's in the Farmers Market, and it generally considered to be one of the best BBQ places in Texas. But prepare to stand in line! It is also Lunch only. If you're looking for authentic Mexican, Meso Maya is not far from the AAC and is pretty good. There's other Mexican options in the downtown area, Yelp can help you find a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
Hey Stars fans, I'll be visiting a friend in the DFW area from December 24th to the 30th and was wanting some assistance in figuring out what to do and stuff. I'm definitely going to Stars-Preds on the 27th and really want to go to Cowboys Eagles on the 29th. Potentially a Mavs game but that's not a priority like the other two. How easy are tickets to acquire? It seems like I can just hop on a train to the AAC but AT&T seems a bit far. I'm likely relying on public transport as I'm not sure he has a car there.

Besides sports, I probably would visit Uni campuses to check out the famed US College life and stuff. I'm not 21 but I'd check out the bar areas if possible. Any big malls, restaurants, cool places or anything you'd recommend? I'm likely to just be running around exploring for a week so literally anything goes.

Thanks in advance for the input it's much appreciated.
If your friend lives near a DART station, it will be easy to get to the AAC. Forget about getting to a Cowboys game without a car though. Maybe you could craigslist a carpool or something. Stars tickets are relatively easy to get, I've never tried to buy Cowboys tickets but from my understanding, prepare to get fleeced.

Depending on your scene, you can check out Uptown (just north of Downtown) or Deep Ellum (just east of Downtown). You can also check out Main Street in Downtown itself. Uptown is the biggest though, and would provide the most sites to see. It has a reputation for being more snobbish/douchey though. Deep Ellum is the weirder/more artsy scene. Your opinions may vary.

Downtown also just has some cool things to see. Like I told Colin above, the new Klyde Warren Park/Arts District is fun and has museums. You can check out the new Perot Science Museum (so awesome). There's the Sixth Floor museum, all about the JFK assasination. You can ride a train to Mockingbird station and check out the shops there. Northpark is the big mall.

fillmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 06:07 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
for colleges, the easiest to get to is SMU all you need to do is get off at Mockingbird Station from DART Rail Red Line and walk over 75. Better night life around McKinney Ave or Lower Greenville Ave. Neither of which are far from downtown. McKinney Ave sort of blends into SMU at it's very end.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
ginblossoms

for all the great things about dallas, one thing sorely lacking is a truly world-class university. seems to me that smu is as good as it gets and is the only one that really offers a traditional campus with a stereotypical extracurricular college experience.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:09 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
gig 'em

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
gig 'em
No.

And SMU fits the design of DFW to a T.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:55 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
No.

And SMU fits the design of DFW to a T.
this is the truth.

Dallas will never be like Columbus or Austin and I'm 100% okay with that. SMU is what Dallas is in it's heart. Dallas is a material, showy, and has a case of affluenza. So does SMU and I wouldn't change it if I could.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote