HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Old
06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Well done Holmgren. Well ****ing done.

There aren't enough facepalms in the world.

And the Flyers STILL don't have a goalie.

Awesome. Stellar. Fantastic.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:33 PM
MsWoof

I'm proud of Bob, loved him while he was here. What an amazing story his time in the NHL has been!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

I don't blame the Flyers at all here...

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:

I feel Snider had his hands in it more than Homer.

Even though I'd be weary of a lockout performance.
I'm interested to see if he can build when the regular season schedule is back to normal.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:43 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 750
Congrats to Bob, I hope our front office doesn't sleep tonight.

MRxBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:46 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Congrats to Bob, I hope our front office doesn't sleep tonight.
I hope someone texts Holmgren and Snider with pictures of Bob with the Vezina, Richards/Carter/Gagne/Williams/Seidenberg/etc. etc. etc. with the Cup every ****ing day for as long as they're both associated with the Flyers.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:49 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
From day 1 the Flyers organization mishandled Bob

good for him

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Wow the anger of some here .

Good for him.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

still a bitter pill, but im sooo happy for Bob..

he deserved it.

hopefully the Flyers can find a way to move on from Goalie hell now. perhaps this will break the curse.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:58 PM
MP92

Quote:
I hope someone texts Holmgren and Snider with pictures of Bob with the Vezina, Richards/Carter/Gagne/Williams/Seidenberg/etc. etc. etc. with the Cup every ****ing day for as long as they're both associated with the Flyers.
You dont think things like that have ever happened to other teams before?

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

I just don't get it, why are people so angry about it? I think we all thought Bob was going to be a good goalie. I for one did not see him winning a Vezina Trophy. I think everybody agrees that the Flyers dropped the ball from the word go.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:05 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
I just don't get it, why are people so angry about it? I think we all thought Bob was going to be a good goalie. I for one did not see him winning a Vezina Trophy. I think everybody agrees that the Flyers dropped the ball from the word go.
It might have something to do with giving him away for nothing because of a distinct lack of patience sprinkled with a whole lot of stupid, then signing a disaster for $51 million. Then reportedly buying out said space cadet, leaving the Flyers with **** all between the pipes once again.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
It might have something to do with giving him away for nothing because of a distinct lack of patience sprinkled with a whole lot of stupid, then signing a disaster for $51 million. Then reportedly buying out said space cadet, leaving the Flyers with **** all between the pipes once again.
I don't think anybody could have predicted the perfect storm, that Bryz would as bad as he has been and Bob was a stellar as he has been. If Bob next season is a Vezina contender (which I don't foresee) then I will say they made a pretty huge mistake. But any player can have a career year at anytime. To be honest they really didn't have much of a choice with Bob. They weren't going to play him, and keeping on the bench seemed pretty illogical at the time.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

How did we give him away for nothing when we basically drafted Stolarz for the pick used to get Bob?

Old
06-15-2013, 07:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
How did we give him away for nothing when we basically drafted Stolarz for the pick used to get Bob?
Stolarz is a big question mark and will be until he proves otherwise. Until that time, it's a prospect who has little to no value compared to a real NHL'er.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Stolarz is a big question mark and will be until he proves otherwise. Until that time, it's a prospect who has little to no value compared to a real NHL'er.
Maybe but at the time no one said we were trading away a vezina calibre goalie. If you were to ask people around this time last year that Bob would win it we would be laughed at.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:28 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

What a kick in the balls. Good for Bobs, though.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
You would think the Flyers were the only team to ever trade or release a player who went on to win a Cup. Bringing up Gagne is especially ridiculous.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:40 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
To be honest they really didn't have much of a choice with Bob. They weren't going to play him, and keeping on the bench seemed pretty illogical at the time.
About 5 posts up you say you don't blame the Flyers then you write this. This is all on the Flyers. Bob showed what he is capable of his first season with us. Yet the Flyers decided to sign a nutcase who was thrown under the bus by his old team. Talk about piss poor development and scouting staff as it pertained to Bryzgalov

spudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:25 PM
hockeyfreak7

Where was the outrage when Bob was actually traded? Fact: If you weren't outraged then, you can't be outraged now.

Nobody foresaw Bob winning the Vezina, but even beyond that, most did not even care that much when Bob was dealt. Most people were ecstatic with the return we got. Don't believe me? Dig up the freaking thread.

EDIT: Here's the thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1213609

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I really liked BOB and always found myself really pulling for him whenever he got the nod to start.I am actually happy for him to get a shot with another club where the media microscope will not be as intense which just might put him in a situation where he can really hone his skills and become a real force in the nets.BOB is a heck of an athlete and has all of the physical skills to become a regular starter in this league .....Wish nothing but the best for the lad !
Quote:
Well said. He and Mason will push each other to be better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bob grab the starting job. I'm also glad he gets a shot at the job.

So it's safe to say you never expected Bob to be a Vezina candidate, CharlieGirl. Absolutely no reason for you to have the reaction you're having.

Last edited by hockeyfreak7: 06-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.
hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I'm sorry, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really can't blame the Flyers for this.

After that disaster against the Bruins in the playoffs, was there anyone here that wasn't screaming at organization to go out and get a legit goalie? Well, once that happens, Bob's future here is done.

I and few others had hoped that they bring in Voukon for a shorter deal to be a stopgap till Bob ready to step in. But it was obvious the team (and most of the fans) wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a franchise goalie (which they thought they were getting in Bryz). Had the team not traded Bob last season then he plays this year as a backup, plays in a handful of games then bails for the KHL after the season because he was unhappy, and the Flyers get nothing for him.

I wonder, if he ends up leaving Columbus now for the KHL, does this instantly become a good trade? If Columbus now has to hand out a ridiculous contract to a guy with one good season because he has all the leverage, does this trade suddenly not look so bad?

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I'm sorry, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really can't blame the Flyers for this.

After that disaster against the Bruins in the playoffs, was there anyone here that wasn't screaming at organization to go out and get a legit goalie? Well, once that happens, Bob's future here is done.

I and few others had hoped that they bring in Voukon for a shorter deal to be a stopgap till Bob ready to step in. But it was obvious the team (and most of the fans) wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a franchise goalie (which they thought they were getting in Bryz). Had the team not traded Bob last season then he plays this year as a backup, plays in a handful of games then bails for the KHL after the season because he was unhappy, and the Flyers get nothing for him.

I wonder, if he ends up leaving Columbus now for the KHL, does this instantly become a good trade? If Columbus now has to hand out a ridiculous contract to a guy with one good season because he has all the leverage, does this trade suddenly not look so bad?
Bob should not have been out starting goalie that year, period. His first year in NA should have been spent in the AHL, where he could have seen some action later on in the season, but he shouldn't have been our #1.

Unfortunately when the only competition he faces in camp are a 35 year old journeyman (Boucher) and an AHL goalie (Leighton), it's no wonder he won the starting spot. It's good for him obviously, but not for us.

If our GM would have been thinking, a goalie, like Vokoun, should have been brought in that season as a stop-gap, until be figure out what we have with Bob, which looks to be a #1 goalie.

But whatever, hindsight is 20/20

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Bob should not have been out starting goalie that year, period. His first year in NA should have been spent in the AHL, where he could have seen some action later on in the season, but he shouldn't have been our #1.

Unfortunately when the only competition he faces in camp are a 35 year old journeyman (Boucher) and an AHL goalie (Leighton), it's no wonder he won the starting spot. It's good for him obviously, but not for us.

If our GM would have been thinking, a goalie, like Vokoun, should have been brought in that season as a stop-gap, until be figure out what we have with Bob, which looks to be a #1 goalie.

But whatever, hindsight is 20/20
Hypothetically, Bob plays his 1st season in the AHL instead of the NHL, the Flyers then ride Boucher/Leighton that season/playoffs, the results are pretty much the same:
  • The Flyers goaltenders get embarrassed by Boston in round 2.
  • The fans now scream for a franchise goaltender and no one would be pushing for Bob as the answer regardless of how well he may have done that season in the AHL
  • The team then signs Bryz, and Bob has no future here. And he has even less trade value

In retrospect, Bob's fate with the Flyers was sealed when he got pulled in game 2 against Buffalo.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

This goes back a year before he was even brought here. Holmgren rewarded Leighton with a contract even though everyone and his brother knew he sucked. Bob makes the team out of the blue, then gets badly overplayed the first few months by Lavi because Bob was doing so well. There is no way he should have been played as much as he was in such a short period of time. The fact that he was exhausted by season's end is on both Homer and Lavi. Then the carousel began in the 2011 playoffs and Snider demanded a good goalie.

Columbus will have to give him a good contract and I have no doubt that he will continue to play well because of how hard he works.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
In retrospect, Bob's fate with the Flyers was sealed when he got pulled in game 2 against Buffalo.
Bingo. Peter Laviolette is to blame for Bob being traded and Bryz being signed. His knee jerk reaction to blaming all the playoff errors on the goaltender was the reason for this whole situation. Across the way, Ryan Miller allowed just as many goals if not more and wasn't pulled once. IMO, I also partially blame Lavy for the Stanley Cup lose. Game one tied after two and he pulls Leighton while Chicago rides out Niemi. Boucher ends up allowing a terrible winning goal and Leighton's confidence is shot for the rest of the series. But pulling the goalie and calling timeout is the only adjustments he can make.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote