HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

BERGERON & ULANOV called up

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Obsessed

vCash: 500
GOON

Old
01-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
Not a bad start eh, +2 and a penalty, welcome back Ulanov.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:48 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Not a bad start eh, +2 and a penalty, welcome back Ulanov.
He looked solid. I want to see him reunited with Smith. Check these pairings:

Smith-Ulanov Proven commodity
Cross-Semenov Cross seems to bring out the best in the young giants
Brewer and Semenov
Staios-Brewer Two very good defenders. 'Nuff said

That's a solid D. Little offensive ability, but solid. And no Feguson .

Old
01-06-2004, 01:10 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Hemsky needs a reason to listen and a stint in the minors might just do the trick. He either simplifies his game and gets his nose dirty proactively, shoots when he has the shot or down he goes for a refresher in what it takes to play in the NHL on a regular basis. The way Salmelainen was flying and back-checking he would be better to have in the line-up than Ales. Oh yeah! that pesty Contract thinggy again that the Detroits, Avs, Rags, Blues, Stars, etc. don't have to worry about.
Is Hemsky eligible for the AHL yet? Seems to me that he isn't, til next year.

Quote:
To finishes on a positive side note, I thought Adam Oates looked like he was skating a lot better tonight.
He's been *much* better the last few games I've seen. (I missed most of the ones over Xmas break, and the game against the Devils, but caught most of the Chicago game.) Hopefully that's a harbinger of things to come - he's made some dandy setups, just nobody there to capitalise on them. Oh, if only Brett Hull would sign with the Oilers, or Neely could play...

Old
01-06-2004, 03:45 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Is Hemsky eligible for the AHL yet?
He's 20 years old, he should be eligible.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Cawz

Heres a quote regarding Ulanov that I dont understand...

"I'd talked to him since the beginning of the year but there weren't any openings," said Lowe. "But with the injuries starting to happen ... With Cory (Cross) questionable and Jason (Smith) out for a while, he gives us a little more experience."

There weren't any openings for a tryout when we all knew from the beginning of the season that our D was weak, young and inexperienced? I dont get it.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz

"I'd talked to him since the beginning of the year but there weren't any openings," said Lowe. "But with the injuries starting to happen ... With Cory (Cross) questionable and Jason (Smith) out for a while, he gives us a little more experience."

There weren't any openings for a tryout when we all knew from the beginning of the season that our D was weak, young and inexperienced? I dont get it.
The defensemen that made the team at the beginning were, Eric Brewer, Steve Staios, Cory Cross, Alexei Semenov, Jason Smith and M-A Bergeron.

Most likely the Oilers didn't expect their defense to be decimated by injury.

Games lost by injury to defense

Cory Cross (2) Strained Shoulder; (5) Back Spasms and Hip Pointer
Eric Brewer (5) Groin strain
Jason Smith (3) Sprained Ankle

When the season begins, no team knows what injuries they sustain during the season.

Quote:
From reading the quote, it sounds like both Cross and Smith could be out longer than expected. With back injuries, you never know how long a player could be out. Izzy missed 5 or 6 games earlier in the season with back spasms.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:58 AM
barto

Quote:

It could be that *at that time* they didn't think Ulanov would be any better than Luoma and/or Bergeron (or even Ferguson). Thus not much interest at that time. Now, more of a need, thus the 25-game tryout deal in Toronto first, then the call-up to the Oilers.

I have a feeling that Slats would have paid a good chunk of his salary to move him somewhere else after his first year there (he "sucked", as I recall vaguely), but in any case, looks like he still has some good hockey left in him. Hope Ulanov can keep it up the rest of the way!

Bart

Old
01-06-2004, 12:42 PM
The Rage

Lol, Hemsley83, I've read you write the phrase "decimated by injury" atleast 5 times today. You really like that phrase don't you?

Old
01-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Lol, Hemsley83, I've read you write the phrase "decimated by injury" atleast 5 times today. You really like that phrase don't you?
Talk to the sportsnet crew that called the game. In the pregame before they blacked out, the guys said that Ulanov was signed because the Oilers blueline was "decimated" by injury. That's one of the reasons that Brewer and Staios got so many minutes the last couple of games.

01-06-2004, 01:11 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
That's one of the reasons that Brewer and Staios got so many minutes the last couple of games.
Not exactly the only reason. A big part of that is the lack of confidence MacT has in his other dmen... and well.. personally I'm going to say poor player icetime management.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not exactly the only reason. A big part of that is the lack of confidence MacT has in his other dmen... and well.. personally I'm going to say poor player icetime management.

Not just the minutes, but the type of minutes. Big minutes, physical minutes, against the other team's best players. Recipe for disaster.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well the defense playing vs Devils were: Eric Brewer, Steve Staios, Igor Ulanov, Alexei Semenov, Scott Ferguson, M-A Bergeron.

By the amount of icetime, I believe these were the pairings:

Brewer - Staios
Ulanov - Semenov
Ferguson - Bergeron

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:06 PM
momentai

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Switch Igor with Marc and you have the pairings properly.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Switch Igor with Marc and you have the pairings properly.
I don't get it. Didn't Ulanov have more minutes than Bergeron.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:14 PM
momentai

Quote:
I don't get it. Didn't Ulanov have more minutes than Bergeron.
He did but I'm sure Ulanov had some minutes on the pk.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Cawz

Quote:
The defensemen that made the team at the beginning were, Eric Brewer, Steve Staios, Cory Cross, Alexei Semenov, Jason Smith and M-A Bergeron.
But who were the dmen that were invited to camp. Was Igor still a Ranger then? If they were talking to him back then, I dont see why they didnt give him a tryout.

Or mabye I'm reading too much into this. Oh well. Have they announced how much they signed him for? He was pretty useless before and after he played for us, but he was great during his stint as an Oiler. Nice to have him back.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:27 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
He did but I'm sure Ulanov had some minutes on the pk.
Ulanov played 15:55 ES, while Bergeron had 7:09 ES. from nhl.com

Old
01-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But who were the dmen that were invited to camp. Was Igor still a Ranger then? If they were talking to him back then, I dont see why they didnt give him a tryout.

Or mabye I'm reading too much into this. Oh well. Have they announced how much they signed him for? He was pretty useless before and after he played for us, but he was great during his stint as an Oiler. Nice to have him back.
These were the defensemen according to the Hockey News Issue, September 9, 2003.

Bobby Allen, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Eric Brewer, Cory Cross, Scott Ferguson, Brent Henley, Peter Hogan, Jan Horacek, Mikko Luoma, Doug Lynch, Rumun Ndur, Mathieu Roy, Alexei Semenov, Curtis Sheptak, Dan Smith, Jason Smith, Kenton Smith, Steve Staios, Rocky Thompson

That's from the Hockey News.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:38 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14
Ulanov played 15:55 ES, while Bergeron had 7:09 ES. from nhl.com
I see. Semenov didn't get much icetime even-strength either. 10:48 to be exact. But he received 3:26 on the pp and 1:59 on the pk.

Ulanov played 1:38 on the pk and :51 on the pp. Ferguson played virtually nothing on either.

Bergeron had 7:09 ES and 4:18 on the pp.

That is where the difference comes from. Special teams for the most part. Bergeron and Semenov spent little time on the ice even-strength...

But Semenov and Ulanov spent a lot of minutes logging special teams minutes while Bergeron spent none short-handed and Ferguson virtually nothing.

That's why it looks like Ulanov played with Semenov according to icetimes. Thanks Oilersrule14

Closed Thread