HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban wins the Norris!!!!! (per Reality)

Old
06-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
It's better lowball someone than to pay someone upfront and then let them loaf. It's not that the player conciously wants to slack off after being paid, but once a man is secure, he's more interested in saving himself than putting himself out there.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:05 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
It's better lowball someone than to pay someone upfront and then let them loaf. It's not that the player conciously wants to slack off after being paid, but once a man is secure, he's more interested in saving himself than putting himself out there.
Some players will sit on it, some have the drive to keep working hard and be better.

Subban is CLEARLY and EASILY in the latter category. He's a smart fellow, hard worker, good values.

I don't see how someone would invest the world in Price who is none of those things but would turn around and be worried about doing it for Subban.

That's just me. But whatever.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I wasn't the only one saying that he wasn't playing that well defensively during this time and he turned his game around and played to his own amazing level after this time.

You're saying you didn't saw any difference during the season ?

I'm guessing that all the Habs brass aren't as good as you to judge that then.
I'm with you on this one for sure. He made leaps and bounds in his game. Especially on the PP. Basically it was a weakness in his game and he turned it into a strong point. He also stopped taking runs and worked on his positioning and stopped holding onto the puck so much. He used to try and rush the puck up all the time and now his ability to control the puck and his physicality down low coupled with a solid, reliable first pass turned him into a minute eater. The way they handled him was exemplary. People around here love to thump their chests and think they know better than pros who make a living at handling players.

In fact, if you ask me, in certain markets players dictate their terms, and I'm glad that's the not way it's going to work here. PK had a lot of stuff to prove, a lot of work to do and man did he ever deliver.

Proof is in the results. They handled him exactly the way they should and I bet if you asked PK personally he'd agree with this. He went out of his way more than once to illustrate his admiration and respect for Bergevin for example. Again today when interviewed by Pierre Houde. Sure it's easy to say the right thing, but personally I think he genuinely respects the organization and believes in their ways.

And Markov helped him tons too. You can tell he watched him and learned from him. But if that's not enough to convince you, just ask PK. He said it himself. There is a lot of respect between the two and it shows.

Anyway, huge honor for him and the whole organization and we're lucky as fans to have such a young promising defenseman that we get to watch turn into one of the best in the world. Just watch this guy. He's far from done getting better. They'll keep playing hardball with him and make the "experts" around here whine, and it will keep pushing him to prove and drive to be the best there is at the position. That's the way some people respond. They know what they are doing.

Can't wait to watch him next year!

Last edited by Jigger77: 06-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Some players will sit on it, some have the drive to keep working hard and be better.

Subban is CLEARLY and EASILY in the latter category. He's a smart fellow, hard worker, good values.

I don't see how someone would invest the world in Price who is none of those things but would turn around and be worried about doing it for Subban.

That's just me. But whatever.
The issue (I believe) they had with Subban was that he was perhaps a little over-confident. With Price, I think it's the other way around.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

P.K seriously could ask for 7-7.5 million(Chara and Doughty-like contract) for 5 years after this contract is up and I believe he deserves it if he can continue the work next year. He'll easily make up what he lost from this bridge contract and a little extra motivation never hurts.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Forsead

Quote:
I remember people complaining about Subban messing up the PP and wishing Diaz would play instead of him. That was completely ridiculous and annoying.

Actually PK was incredible from the start. So no.

You are aware that Subban is one the the Norris winner with the lowest ice time/game ever ?
Is low ice time was caused by the first 15 games where he got less, doesn't mean anything else.

Quote:
You are aware that Subban had 2nd most ice time on PK on 2nd best PK of the league last year but almost didn't play on it this season ?
I would have wanted a bigger use of him on the PK, then again I always thought that the reason was to maximize his use on the PP and the even strenght which was the bread and butter of this team.

Quote:
You are aware that Bergevin made the Norris trophy winner sit with an incredible lowball offer ?
In insight Bergevin should have given him a long terms contract for sure, specially since he's such a hard worker and have a winner attitude, but I'm not sure we can call that an incredible lowball offer.

Quote:
The habs brass messed up real bad with Subban. Real bad. They ****ed up big time. I can see how someone would have made that mistake at the time.. maybe.. but you saying these things now after the fact is a bit ludicrous IMO.
I think we have to agree to disagree here, your arguments are based that Subban was great and perfect all season long and got screwed by the Habs brass, while mine is that he got flaws in his game during the first 15 games and others people here saw that too. We didn't saw the same things then and that's okay. If they would have ****ed up so big with him he wouldn't be the Norris winner, or a Habs still IMO.

You seem to like bringing the fact that he's the Norris winner to show he wasn't playing as amazing at the start of the season, well Ovechkin had a pretty bad rough start and he's still the Hart winner.

Last edited by Forsead: 06-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:24 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
The issue (I believe) they had with Subban was that he was perhaps a little over-confident. With Price, I think it's the other way around.
Why is over-confidence ? Why can't it be simple plain confidence ? Because when you think about it, he was right to be confident in his abilities since he just won the Norris.

EDIT: A lot of great people, in all fields, think they are the best. It's that confidence that makes them great.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:24 PM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Congrats to PK!!!

Interestingly Pittsburg had 3 players receive votes. The teams with more than one candidate are:

Habs: 1st (Subban), 13th (Markov)
Pens: 3rd (Letang), 19th (Orpik), 23rd (Martin)
Ducks: 4th (Beauchemin), 23rd (Souray)
Bruins: 5th (Chara), 21st (Seidenberg)

So who thinks we have the best 1-2 punch on D?
Pace was:
  • Subban: 74 points
  • Markov: 58 points
  • Diaz: 50 points
  • Emelin: 26 points
  • Gorges: 15 points
  • Bouillon: 15 points
Now PP given to Diaz ended up with PK but expecting 35 points from Diaz certainly possible. This would give us three d-men in top-30.
In the last three years, 35 points was at worst 37th.

These numbers are pretty impressive.
Only player with minus is Markov with -9 (and Weber with -1).

I am not so sure we should do so many changes in our defense.
We may need one more piece and it could very well be Tinordi.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Why is over-confidence ? Why can't it be simple plain confidence ? Because when you think about it, he was right to be confident in his abilities since he just won the Norris.

EDIT: A lot of great people, in all fields, think they are the best. It's that confidence that makes them great.
Agreed. Not sure what you're asking me though.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:33 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
P.K seriously could ask for 7-7.5 million(Chara and Doughty-like contract) for 5 years after this contract is up and I believe he deserves it if he can continue the work next year. He'll easily make up what he lost from this bridge contract and a little extra motivation never hurts.
Honestly, he deserves every cent his new contract will have. I hope the contract is longer than five years though and goes to eight years at 6.5 - 7.5 million. Subban deserves it.

06-15-2013, 09:03 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Very intelligent individual..........Good job Pk.
This young man will be winning this award for years too come.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:14 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Lol @ his interview with Pierre Houde.

"There's no doubt in my mind that if we were on the ice right now, we would be winning this Stanley Cup in 7 or even less games."

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:15 PM
danyhabsfan

Pernell Karl Norris Subban was on RDS.

PK Subban is such a nice person.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Way to go, PK!!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:43 PM
poetryinmotion

It's always a treat listening to him talk. Future captain.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Beendair Donedat

Nice having the best defenseman in the league. **** you Ottawa. Proud of Subban, he's paid his dues and made the organization proud.

Also a huge **** you to the people that treated this young man without class and felt the need to run him down at any opportunity.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Mrb1p

Everybody laughed at me when I said P.K. would be as good as any other D in the league ... When will people learn to listen to me?

Now I just need Eller to become a 60 points 2-way player, Lebust to make the Nhl as a significant player and Beaulieu to develop into a Letang like player and I'll be KING.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

So proud of Subban, so happy he is a Habs!!!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I missed the announcement...how was it announced? Is there any vids of how we learned who were the winners? Thanks.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Attaboy PK, so glad for him. Will be our superstar for years to come. Such a fun player to watch. Cant wait for next year to start!!
Why do you write that? He won't be joining the Merdiques any time soon.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:45 PM
deandebean

I must admit that the kid is making me eat crow. Kudos to him.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:49 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I missed the announcement...how was it announced? Is there any vids of how we learned who were the winners? Thanks.
Its on NHL.com

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Everybody laughed at me when I said P.K. would be as good as any other D in the league ... When will people learn to listen to me?

Now I just need Eller to become a 60 points 2-way player, Lebust to make the Nhl as a significant player and Beaulieu to develop into a Letang like player and I'll be KING.
I hope you are correct on all accounts

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:15 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

So where are those clowns were the clamoring to trade him for his little hold-out early on?

I can remember a few names but this post stands out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab
After watching the introduction ceremony before the game, with the passing of the torch from the Legends to the current players......and then not seeing Subban on the ice, I have come to one conclusion.

Go **** Yourself PK Subban.

It used to mean something to wear the Canadiens sweater. And when it meant something, this team was winning Stanley Cups.

TEAM. There is a huge problem when a SELFISH player puts himself above his team. So **** Subban.

Get the **** out of Montreal PK and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
There were a few others who were casually dismissing his talent as if he's just a regular ol' Bouillon or something. Pretty interesting seeing how easily fans turn on players but blindly side with management for years and years (I was guilty of this with Gainey/Gauthier, myself).

Subban's the real deal like few others are, and he's ours. Give him more minutes, more responsibilities, a leadership role, etc. He deserves it, he's a Hab through and through.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote