HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Old
06-15-2013, 09:05 PM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I hope someone texts Holmgren and Snider with pictures of Bob with the Vezina, Richards/Carter/Gagne/Williams/Seidenberg/etc. etc. etc. with the Cup every ****ing day for as long as they're both associated with the Flyers.
The only one on your list the was traded directly from the Flyers and won immediately is Richards. And let's be honest, he and Carter were not THE reasons LA won. Might as well add Fedetenko and Patrick Sharp to your list.

The thing with Bob was that it was so frustrating because he really did play great his first season. Lavy mishandled the playoff goalie situation completely in 2011. When Leighton was backing up Boosh in Game 4, you just had this feeling that Bob would eventually be dealt. When You get a healthy scratch in favor of MFL, that's just awful.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Hypothetically, Bob plays his 1st season in the AHL instead of the NHL, the Flyers then ride Boucher/Leighton that season/playoffs, the results are pretty much the same:
  • The Flyers goaltenders get embarrassed by Boston in round 2.
  • The fans now scream for a franchise goaltender and no one would be pushing for Bob as the answer regardless of how well he may have done that season in the AHL
  • The team then signs Bryz, and Bob has no future here. And he has even less trade value

In retrospect, Bob's fate with the Flyers was sealed when he got pulled in game 2 against Buffalo.
You missed where I said Vokoun should have been brought in that year. Our goalies would have been Vokoun and Boucher

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
You missed where I said Vokoun should have been brought in that year. Our goalies would have been Vokoun and Boucher
Vokoun wasn't available that year. He still had one more year in Florida. Or did you mean trade for him? I don't remember his name being tossed around until the next offseason when he was a FA.

If memory serves, the FA goalies that offseason were:

Chris Mason
Dan Ellis
Marty Turco
Evgeni Nabokov
Jose Theodore

None of whom would have really helped the goalie situation much.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:20 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Vokoun wasn't available that year. He still had one more year in Florida. Or did you mean trade for him? I don't remember his name being tossed around until the next offseason when he was a FA.

If memory serves, the FA goalies that offseason were:

Chris Mason
Dan Ellis
Marty Turco
Evgeni Nabokov
Jose Theodore

None of whom would have really helped the goalie situation much.
We could have traded for him. FLA also had Clemmensen

Nabby could have also been an option

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
myself and Beef were probably the most outspoken on the Vokoun front. Man, wed still have bob if holmgren had listened to us.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:27 PM
kelmitchell

I knew from bobs first start he would be a force to be reckoned with in net if only Philly would have showed some patience with the kid reminded me of Jonathan quick honestly

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
We could have traded for him. FLA also had Clemmensen

Nabby could have also been an option
I really don't remember him being thrown out there as a trade candidate that offseason. Florida seemed content to ride him out till the end of his contract. There were others like Craig Anderson and Dwayne Roloson that were traded during the season that the Flyers should have looked at. They went for Kris Versteeg instead...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Devastate

Anyone who has seen my posts knows that i'm one of bobs biggest fans.

I'm really happy that he ended up winning. Would have loved to have kept him, but he's in a good situation in Columbus

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:04 PM
litflyersfan

Do we offer sheet Bobrovsky now?

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:34 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmitchell View Post
I knew from bobs first start he would be a force to be reckoned with in net if only Philly would have showed some patience with the kid reminded me of Jonathan quick honestly
Me too, they are both super-athletic and agile. My 2 favourite goalies.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:48 PM
flyersgal

I'm happy for Bob. I wish the Flyers had been patient with him. But, this was a shortened season. I'm curious to see how he performs as the starter for an entire season.

flyersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
myself and Beef were probably the most outspoken on the Vokoun front. Man, wed still have bob if holmgren had listened to us.
Yep.

If anybody needs me, I'm going to be laying in the street in black clothing.

06-15-2013, 11:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep.

For all of our sakes, please paint your head and typing hand fluorescent yellow.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep.

Lol oh man. I imagined this in my head. It made me chuckle.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
just because people werent pissed off when that trade was down does not mean they had no right to be pissed off later or now. Anyone with half a brain could see Bobrovsky's potential. they just had to be patient with him. How many goalies come over and succeed right away at the NHL level? he had a tough postseason.
Impatience once again.
Of course he was mishandled from day 1. he should have gone to the AHL and played every night. learned the NA game. But no. The Flyers other options were Boucher and Leighton. So of course he won the job. The Flyers goaltending situation was a ****ing joke after Bobrovsky that season. So there was no way they could send their best goaltender to the minors. Even if probably should of gone there.
Bobrovsky didnt have to win the Vezina or even been a finalist for people to be angered by this deal. Now we are back to square one. Bryzgalov will get bought out and we are left with Mason and someone else who likely wont be able to push Mason because our senile old owner thinks hes the man for the job based on a 6 game tryout.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:02 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ha. and we've been hearing bout it nonstop for two years. vokoun would've sucked here too. and bob. Thats the thing is its not the players themselves. it's the Flyers. and this horrible deal snider signed with satan for eternal life. the man is 246 years old. There's a price for everything. Next year were gonna sign actual "air" to a 16 year 300 million dollar contract to take up space in the net. and i'll probably buy its jersey too.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:08 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Me too, they are both super-athletic and agile. My 2 favourite goalies.
I'm surprised someone agreed with me I mean in his time here he made countless highlight reel saves and won uus games aat times as he did all year for columbus

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:44 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
just because people werent pissed off when that trade was down does not mean they had no right to be pissed off later or now. Anyone with half a brain could see Bobrovsky's potential. they just had to be patient with him. How many goalies come over and succeed right away at the NHL level? he had a tough postseason.
This is crap. If you thought it was a good deal then, then you can not turn around and ***** about it less than a year later. You can be disappointed about it (as I am), but you can not chastise Holmgren for making the deal when you, yourself, endorsed it when it was made.

And you did endorse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
that is a solid return for Holmgren.
now do the right thing. hold onto the picks for once.

I understand being upset with the way Bob was handled while here. I am too. However, you can't say **** about Holmgren now when you would have made the exact same deal last June if you were in his position.

EDIT: This is just another example of the anti-Holmgren crowd leeching onto him at any chance. When the deal was made, Flyers fans collectively loved the return while still recognizing the potential of Bob as a goaltender. Nothing wrong with that. But if you supported the deal then, please don't try to act like you knew all along that the Flyers were getting a crappy hand. If you condemned the deal then, great, you have every right to ***** about Holmgren now for being short-sighted, impatient, or whatever else you want to throw at him. But few on here were truly choked up to see Bob gone for the return we got, and it's quite funny to see people forget their own words 12 months later when it suits their opinions on Holmgren.

Last edited by hockeyfreak7: 06-16-2013 at 12:52 AM.
hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
For all of our sakes, please paint your head and typing hand fluorescent yellow.
Won't work, my street is unmarked. Best bet is to go fetal and try to look like a sewer plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
This is crap. If you thought it was a good deal then, then you can not turn around and ***** about it less than a year later. You can be disappointed about it (as I am), but you can not chastise Holmgren for making the deal when you, yourself, endorsed it when it was made.

And you did endorse it.

I understand being upset with the way Bob was handled while here. I am too. However, you can't say **** about Holmgren now when you would have made the exact same deal last June if you were in his position.

EDIT: This is just another example of the anti-Holmgren crowd leeching onto him at any chance. When the deal was made, Flyers fans collectively loved the return while still recognizing the potential of Bob as a goaltender. Nothing wrong with that. But if you supported the deal then, please don't try to act like you knew all along that the Flyers were getting a crappy hand. If you condemned the deal then, great, you have every right to ***** about Holmgren now for being short-sighted, impatient, or whatever else you want to throw at him. But few on here were truly choked up to see Bob gone for the return we got, and it's quite funny to see people forget their own words 12 months later when it suits their opinions on Holmgren.
You're overreacting a bit. You forget that just about everyone knew Bob was going to be traded the second Bryzgalov signed for 9 years. At that point it wasn't a matter of "if," it was a matter of "when, and for what?" The return at the time wasn't terrible. I was OK with it. But that doesn't meant I'm not upset now, because the issue itself isn't really the trade (which was inevitable)...it was the decision to go with Bryzgalov instead of developing the very talented goalie prospect we had.

This doesn't go back to the trade. It goes back to the decision to sign Bryzgalov until the sun fused into carbon and then compressed itself into a tremendous diamond. That's when we truly lost Bob. Look at LA; it's similar. Now that Quick has cemented himself and signed a long deal, LA fans know it's inevitable Bernier gets moved.

Edit: Oh, and a while ago I looked into Vezina winners going back to 1993. Bob is the first in 20 years to win the Vezina on a non-playoff team, if I remember correctly. It might even go back longer than that.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-16-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

And you did endorse it.

I "endorsed" it because I knew that Bobrovsky's future in Philly was done. I accepted the fact that Snider is an impatient old ******* who could not wait for Bobrovsky to turn into the goaltender this franchise has been looking for for decades. Once we signed the 51 million dollar space cadet Bob was done here. the return was acceptable. Doesnt mean I liked it. So just because I didnt announce it to the world that I hated the fact that he was traded I have no right to voice my opinions now.
That is a crock of ****.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

I think people need to really relax. Bob put up numbers that were astronomical for his career averages (albeit 2 seasons). I think this Vezina really doesn't mean a whole lot, its not like he took Columbus to the promised land. Whose to say Bob falls apart this upcoming season? If he posts another Vezina like season then people should start to talk. Whose to say he wouldn't have completely floundered under the pressure of the playoffs? There are way too many question marks for people to be upset about Bob.

The biggest problem I have is all the negativity. The team was built to WIN, going to the Stanley Cup Finals etc. I don't know too many fans who would have been happy waiting for a goalie to "develope". Obviously now it looks like a better option, but at the time the Flyers NEEDED a #1 goalie. Sadly the moves don't always pan out, but I'm not upset with the move, the choice of their goalie yes, but moving Bob no.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:02 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
I think people need to really relax. Bob put up numbers that were astronomical for his career averages (albeit 2 seasons). I think this Vezina really doesn't mean a whole lot, its not like he took Columbus to the promised land. Whose to say Bob falls apart this upcoming season? If he posts another Vezina like season then people should start to talk. Whose to say he wouldn't have completely floundered under the pressure of the playoffs? There are way too many question marks for people to be upset about Bob.

The biggest problem I have is all the negativity. The team was built to WIN, going to the Stanley Cup Finals etc. I don't know too many fans who would have been happy waiting for a goalie to "develope". Obviously now it looks like a better option, but at the time the Flyers NEEDED a #1 goalie. Sadly the moves don't always pan out, but I'm not upset with the move, the choice of their goalie yes, but moving Bob no.
He's the only reason they were in contention till the last weekend of the playoffs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He's the only reason they were in contention till the last weekend of the playoffs.
Columbus also started playing better team defense the second half of the season. They were pretty awful to start the year. Just look at Steve Masons numbers when the Flyers actually started playing defense at the end. Bob was counted on to make 4-5 big saves a game and came through. He would have had to do a lot more here so there is no telling how he would do against the 3 breakaway, 4 two on ones, and the front of the net littered with opposing players. Better than Bryz IMO, but not award winning.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
While Bob is well deserving of the Vezina, I question that he can continue this over a long season. It looks bad right now, and I'd rather he be here than Bryz, but goaltending is so volatile, we won't feel this way if he comes back next year and puts up a .901 sv%. Although if he puts up anything over ~.915, then it's different.

But I also have trouble scape-goatting Holmgren for that one, because we all know he had marching orders from Big Ed to do what he did, because he wanted someone who could be Tim Thomas, when Tim Thomas wasn't even really Tim Thomas. Wonder if he feels any different about the Bruins seeing that they're back in the finals with a goaltender they were patient with.

And he can say what he wants, we know he picked Bryz. What has happened since the end of 2011 should be getting people fired, but Ed isn't going to fire himself.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Hindsight is 20/20 here. We didn't know there was going to be compliance buyouts this offseason after the lockout. Also bob went to homer and asked if he couldn't get more opportunity that he would liked to be moved. I don't like homers moves sometimes, but this one I won't sit here and bash him for.

Also this is like an ex girlfriend. Instead of being so sour about "her" moving on and finding someone else, we should be happy for bob and Columbus.

Lets not forget Bryz won a vezina and look at him now.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote