HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 09:45 PM
John Bender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Dan Russell is pure and utter garbage. I hope he's stuck doing a YouTube show that gets 15 views a week.

And that's from you hitting refresh 14 times.
LOL.

When 'NW originally canned him years ago, he went online and did his show......and continued to proclaim that he had Canada's longest running sports talk show. What a tool.

I bet he ends up in some lame place like that again.

I can't see 1040 going for him.........he hates the Canucks too much and they are obviously in the business of promoting interest in them.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:37 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
LOL.

When 'NW originally canned him years ago, he went online and did his show......and continued to proclaim that he had Canada's longest running sports talk show. What a tool.

I bet he ends up in some lame place like that again.

I can't see 1040 going for him.........he hates the Canucks too much and they are obviously in the business of promoting interest in them.
Shock jocks are who bring the ratings. Dave Pratt was their shock jock until he left. I cant believe they were dumb enough to let him go.

Dan Russel is very critical of the Canucks but that just adds to the shock jock effect.

1040 needs a shock jock.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:21 AM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Shock jocks are who bring the ratings. Dave Pratt was their shock jock until he left. I cant believe they were dumb enough to let him go.

Dan Russel is very critical of the Canucks but that just adds to the shock jock effect.

1040 needs a shock jock.
Pratt was not a shock jock - he may have been in the Burke days, when 1040 didn't have the Canucks' rights, but he certainly wasn't over the last couple of years prior to his departure. He was a huge Canuck/Gillis cheerleader. I guess it may have been hard for him to not be, given how good the team was doing, but he was not a shock jock.

Does anyone know if he's going to be taking over Russell's post?

And though I'd love to see Russell go to 1040, I have a hard time seeing it happening. He'd probably have to change his behavior, for one, and become more of a homer. The station is also mostly loaded with guys in their 20s and 30s (BMac/Taylor notwithstanding), so it's not really a fit from that perspective.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:26 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I almost want Tortorella if only because he'd eviscerate these clowns.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Pratt was not a shock jock - he may have been in the Burke days, when 1040 didn't have the Canucks' rights, but he certainly wasn't over the last couple of years prior to his departure. He was a huge Canuck/Gillis cheerleader. I guess it may have been hard for him to not be, given how good the team was doing, but he was not a shock jock.

Does anyone know if he's going to be taking over Russell's post?

And though I'd love to see Russell go to 1040, I have a hard time seeing it happening. He'd probably have to change his behavior, for one, and become more of a homer. The station is also mostly loaded with guys in their 20s and 30s (BMac/Taylor notwithstanding), so it's not really a fit from that perspective.
Who in Gods earth would have thought Dave Pratt and Dan Russel would be doing cross shifts at CKNW though ?

Russel called for Dave Pratts firing on the air from his Province column because of the plagiarism incident. They hate eachother.

The sports talk brand is going somewhere though. It has to be 1040.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:47 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I almost want Tortorella if only because he'd eviscerate these clowns.
Who would become our Brooksie ?

Old
06-16-2013, 11:01 AM
polarbearcub

Quote:
Who would become our Brooksie ?
Tony g

Old
06-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Who in Gods earth would have thought Dave Pratt and Dan Russel would be doing cross shifts at CKNW though ?

Russel called for Dave Pratts firing on the air from his Province column because of the plagiarism incident. They hate eachother.

The sports talk brand is going somewhere though. It has to be 1040.
I agree, not a fan of either Pratt or Russel but the sports landscape needs guys like this to brighten things up a bit.

Frankly 1040 is getting kind of stale with lots of "other media types" and "all Canucks, all the time" some more baseball would be nice in the summer.

Old
08-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Update on the local Sports Radio Scene in the Vancouver market from Greg Douglas' Vancouver Sun column last week:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/R...629/story.html

Quote:
SHORT HOPS: The sole victim (so far) in the latest CKNW shakeup has been sportscaster and all-around good guy Rick Quinton.

With the station cutting back on its sports coverage and putting more focus on what management describes as "a strategic re-alignment to a News/Talk format," the coming weeks will see Dave Pratt leaving his evening sports slot and joining Philip Till on the CKNW Morning News. Dave Sheldon will be with Jon McComb in mid-afternoons and Stu Walters stays as a sports beat reporter. Michael Eckford will do a current events talk show from 7-10 p.m., meaning the end of Sportstalk with Dan Russell's departure on Aug. 31. That's also when Bro Jake's contract expires at Rock 101. He'll host mornings on Team 1040 effective Sept. 9.
CKNW changes direction and ends their Sportstalk specific programming in the Evenings and will now integrate existing talent, David Pratt and weekend Sportstalk host Dave Sheldon, with their existing Newstalk hosts. I'm not exactly sure how this hybrid is going to work as I assume they will mix some sports discussion into their news talk discussion.

While on the TEAM 1040, the morning show gets a major revamp as Scott Rintoul's morning show (and Province co-host Paul Chapman) will end in early September, replaced by "Bro Jake" of CFMI, Rock 101.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Update on the local Sports Radio Scene in the Vancouver market from Greg Douglas' Vancouver Sun column last week:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/R...629/story.html

CKNW changes direction and ends their Sportstalk specific programming in the Evenings and will now integrate existing talent, David Pratt and weekend Sportstalk host Dave Sheldon, with their existing Newstalk hosts. I'm not exactly sure how this hybrid is going to work as I assume they will mix some sports discussion into their news talk discussion.

While on the TEAM 1040, the morning show gets a major revamp as Scott Rintoul's morning show (and Province co-host Paul Chapman) will end in early September, replaced by "Bro Jake" of CFMI, Rock 101.
What??! Scotty got cut? Makes no sense. Rick Ball should host the morningshow fulltime. He's the best they have in my opinion.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:13 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Rumour is Pratt and Jake in the mornings on TEAM 1040.

Rintoul off to the 9 PM - 12 AM slot...

http://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewto...13414&start=30

Old
08-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
What??! Scotty got cut? Makes no sense. Rick Ball should host the morningshow fulltime. He's the best they have in my opinion.
I think Scotty does a professional job and is a good broadcaster and I enjoyed listening to him in the mornings with his Province's co-host. My guess is that they want a more "personality" / "sports entertainment" type host for a morning show to, in their minds, drive up ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Rumour is Pratt and Jake in the mornings on TEAM 1040.

Rintoul off to the 9 PM - 12 AM slot...

http://www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewto...13414&start=30
That would contradict what Greg Douglas is suggesting of pairing David Pratt with NW's Phillip Till which would seem on first look like an "odd couple" dynamic.

Rintoul with Matt Sekeres would work as I assume he'd replace Blake Price in that time slot who has a similar type personality with Sekeres playing the role of the sometimes controversial "opinionated" host.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:39 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
I think Scotty does a professional job and is a good broadcaster and I enjoyed listening to him in the mornings with his Province's co-host. My guess is that they want a more "personality" / "sports entertainment" type host for a morning show to, in their minds, drive up ratings.
I have a hard time picturing Pratt in the morning. If he's actually brought back, he should definitely be put back with Taylor. B-Mac is good anywhere, and with anyone, so it'd make sense to put him back on the morning show.

I'd like to see more Matt Baker and Jeff Paterson - two guys that know their sports and that aren't Canuck apologists.

Old
08-06-2013, 07:53 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Not sure how much to look into it but Taylor joked around this afternoon about his contract not being renewed

Old
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
I have a hard time picturing Pratt in the morning. If he's actually brought back, he should definitely be put back with Taylor. B-Mac is good anywhere, and with anyone, so it'd make sense to put him back on the morning show.
I believe Pratt already does morning hits on the Corus radio stations. But having Pratt and Bro Jake would be like having two similar "sports entertainment" orientated broadcaster pairing.

Quote:
I'd like to see more Matt Baker and Jeff Paterson - two guys that know their sports and that aren't Canuck apologists.
If you want a so called "non-cheer leading" type voice in the sports media market, Dan Russell has been filling that role on NW since he got passed over for the Canucks radio play by play role. I don't see him fitting with the current culture that TEAM Radio wants to promote given their close affiliation with the Canucks organization (being the play by play rights holder) unless Russell does a 180 on his current shtick of being " contrarian" on the Canucks team and management.

I don't know where Russell really fits in this marketplace with NW going away from sports as a sports radio host, unless the TEAM Radio hires him to show that they aren't "TEAM" radio in the homer sense and provides him an evening time slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Not sure how much to look into it but Taylor joked around this afternoon about his contract not being renewed
I'm pretty sure Taylor was jokingly referring to his gig on television.

Old
08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
polarbearcub

Interesting. Bro jake and Pratt. I would definitely listen to that

Old
08-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearcub View Post
Interesting. Bro jake and Pratt. I would definitely listen to that
Pure Sports talk on some and maybe most days would take on an co-starring role if that particular pairing were to be made. I think you can make a case for that type of programming in the morning would increase their listenership as it would also attract the casual sports fan demographic.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Yammer

Quote:

I don't know where Russell really fits in this marketplace with NW going away from sports as a sports radio host, unless the TEAM Radio hires him to show that they aren't "TEAM" radio in the homer sense and provides him an evening time slot.
The thing is, Sportstalk is a brand in this market, and Russell's "Journeys" series is good enough to merit continuation. I believe that Russell's anti-Canucks stance was as much a product of differentiating his product from that of 'house radio' 1040, as much as it had to do with any real or speculated animus between himself and the team.

If he was burnt about getting passed over for Shorthouse, that was years ago and I expect that he is pro enough to forget and forgive.

I would just like Sportstalk to move over to the 9-midnight slot where it should be. Rintoul can fit anywhere in the lineup. I see no reason to change the morning show but if he hosts a noon show then Price is freed up to host game nights and game reviews.

Price and Marjanovich are on way, way too much. Mojo's voice is already shot - that's his signature, I guess - but Price seems like he is doing everything! He does soccer, he does the Canucks pregame, he does the postgame... how did he have the time to make so many children?

Old
08-06-2013, 09:41 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Rintoul leaving would be excellent. Terrible on the radio. Majority of 1040 is. Bnap and his stupid interrupting Schtick.....

Patterson and his lame fake radio voice where he sounds like Birch Barlow.

Chapman was actually pretty good.

Bringing Pratt back would be solid. And would be even better if he was on the afternoon show.

Get rid do Taylor too please. I heard he's finally getting pulled off SNEt. Well, Atleast he believes he's getting phased out.

Old
08-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
I have a hard time picturing Pratt in the morning.

Does that help?

Pratt on a morning show.

He'd have to stop the crown royals by 7pm at the latest.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:05 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
If you want a so called "non-cheer leading" type voice in the sports media market, Dan Russell has been filling that role on NW since he got passed over for the Canucks radio play by play role. I don't see him fitting with the current culture that TEAM Radio wants to promote given their close affiliation with the Canucks organization (being the play by play rights holder) unless Russell does a 180 on his current shtick of being " contrarian" on the Canucks team and management.
Oh, I know who Dan Russell is - I'm a big fan. Pretty shocking that CKNW's firing him, but I guess they're basically conceding defeat to the Team for the AM sports radio market in this city. It'd be great to have Dan over to 1040, and keep Sportstalk going.

I don't really understand why he's called a "contrarian", though. He's not anti-Canucks, he's just not a cheerleader. Big difference.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:40 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Rintoul leaving would be excellent. Terrible on the radio. Majority of 1040 is. Bnap and his stupid interrupting Schtick.....

Patterson and his lame fake radio voice where he sounds like Birch Barlow.

Chapman was actually pretty good.

Bringing Pratt back would be solid. And would be even better if he was on the afternoon show.

Get rid do Taylor too please. I heard he's finally getting pulled off SNEt. Well, Atleast he believes he's getting phased out.
I think Patterson is the best in the market. He always comes up with compelling stats. All around, he does not deserve the criticism he gets.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
I think Patterson is the best in the market. He always comes up with compelling stats. All around, he does not deserve the criticism he gets.
Easily the most knowledgeable host when it comes to hockey on 1040. He knows his stuff. His voice is just grating though. Just talk though your mouth, not through your nose!

Why is it that everyone on 1040 has to have an unbearable high-pitched voice. Sekeres, Botchford, BMac, Gallagher, Taylor. All those pollock vasectomies really did a number....

Old
08-07-2013, 12:58 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Oh, I know who Dan Russell is - I'm a big fan. Pretty shocking that CKNW's firing him, but I guess they're basically conceding defeat to the Team for the AM sports radio market in this city. It'd be great to have Dan over to 1040, and keep Sportstalk going.

I don't really understand why he's called a "contrarian", though. He's not anti-Canucks, he's just not a cheerleader. Big difference.
The comments Dan made after changing his twitter handle, indicate to me that the Sportstalk brand will live on somewhere else.

I like Russells Schtick

Old
08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
The thing is, Sportstalk is a brand in this market, and Russell's "Journeys" series is good enough to merit continuation. I believe that Russell's anti-Canucks stance was as much a product of differentiating his product from that of 'house radio' 1040, as much as it had to do with any real or speculated animus between himself and the team.

If he was burnt about getting passed over for Shorthouse, that was years ago and I expect that he is pro enough to forget and forgive.
Sure, you can say Sportstalk has been an institution in this market. But how does it resonate to the younger under 40s audience these days? Team Radio has two sports themed radio station, so I could see them having it continue on 1410 (their secondary station), especially with their affiliation with the WHL Vancouver Giants. I could maybe envision him doing the PbP for the Giants and their home games and host Sports Talk on 1410 when they aren't playing. Russell has always been very bullish on junior hockey, and has a good relationship with the Giants organization so "short" of getting the Canucks gig, broadcasting the Giants on a major station while still continue to host "the longest running" Sports Talk show in Canada would seem to make some sense.

Quote:
The comments Dan made after changing his twitter handle, indicate to me that the Sportstalk brand will live on somewhere else.

I like Russells Schtick
There potentially will be a void in local "evening" sports talk radio. Has it been reported whether the Moj will continue his evening 6-10p.m. gig on non-game nights for Team 1040?

In all honesty, I don't mind listening to US National Sports Radio in lieu of local sports radio in the evening as I have a much broader interest in other sports than hockey ... so having Fox Sports Radio, JT (The Brick) air live from 10pm and onwards would be fine with me.

Now during the hockey season, having local programming is nice but during the off-season, I prefer hearing US syndicated sports radio during the evenings.

Closed Thread