HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flames offer all three first rounders to Avalanche

Old
06-16-2013, 12:55 AM
flameaholic
#neverquit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Well, IMO both teams shouldn't be doing this deal. I know it would be huge for Calgary to grab MacKinnon but in a deep draft with a pretty weak prospect pool, having three picks is bigger. Calgary is likely going to have another top 5 pick, maybe top 3 next year. Take three solid prospects from this draft and get the top end player next year.

As for Colorado, this is an obvious no for them. Seth Jones is perfect for Colorado, it's going to take a deal that brings back more quality.
I disagree. MacKinnon is a franchise center. None of the 3 players we'll take with our picks are going to turn our franchise around. Unfortunate - but not surprising - Colorado turned it down.

Last edited by flameaholic: 06-16-2013 at 06:25 AM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:00 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I would do it to but this isn't any draft also

07:
1. P.Kane
6. Gagner
22. Giroux
28.Petrecki
Giroux was picked in 2006, Pacioretty was picked 22nd in 2007.

Sort of a weird coincidence that 22nd in a few drafts the past 10 years seemed to pan out to be very good players(but look at guys picked before(21) and after(23) then, they are duds)

Ironically the 2003 "Super Draft" the 22nd ending up being a dud(Marc-Antoine Pouliot)

I guess one reason guys may fall to that spot is alot of highly skilled guys with some question marks fall to that spot. 22 might be a good spot to pick Petan or Klimkuck

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Not nearly as dumb as NYI trying to trade all of their draft picks to move up 2 spots. They should have just drafted Trouba :p

Or Rielly. Or Lindholm.
You do realize that that was less value than 24 and 28?

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:47 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

Revenge for the botched offersheet? No 1st for you Calgary.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:56 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Calgary should just go ahead and pick Lindholm, Domi, and Mantha and call it a day
No use putting all of your eggs in one basket
But wouldn't you rather have one Super Roster over three plain old hens????

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:05 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I would do it to but this isn't any draft also

07:
1. P.Kane
6. Gagner
22. Giroux
28.Petrecki

08:
1.Stamkos
6.Filatov
22.Eberle
28.Tikhonov

09:
1.Tavares
6.OEL
22.Schroeder
28.Olsen

While I think this year has the best depth it seems you always get a good player from our picks so I would atleast think it is a decent offer.
I would not trade any of those number ones for any of those 6/22/28 combos. Not even the Patty Kane one. And the second two aren't even close, you'd have to be crazy to trade Stamkos or Tavaras for those players.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:12 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
I would not trade any of those number ones for any of those 6/22/28 combos. Not even the Patty Kane one. And the second two aren't even close, you'd have to be crazy to trade Stamkos or Tavaras for those players.

REALLY???? You would rather have Patrick Kane over Claude Giroux (let alone adding Gagner and Petrecki too)??? Not sure if serious????

Now I know that Claude was drafted in 06 and not 07 (so the original premise was wrong) but seriously, you quoted that guy and WOULDN'T take the Gagner/Giroux/Petrecki package over Kane??? I think that if you asked most Hawks fans that even though they LOVE Kane that they'd trade him straight up for Giroux, let alone getting Gagner in the deal too.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:16 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
This is why the Flames can't have nice things.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

REALLY???? You would rather have Patrick Kane over Claude Giroux (let alone adding Gagner and Petrecki too)??? Not sure if serious????

Now I know that Claude was drafted in 06 and not 07 (so the original premise was wrong) but seriously, you quoted that guy and WOULDN'T take the Gagner/Giroux/Petrecki package over Kane??? I think that if you asked most Hawks fans that even though they LOVE Kane that they'd trade him straight up for Giroux, let alone getting Gagner in the deal too.
it's close i'd prefer kane as well.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:27 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
The funny thing is I think that's a bad deal for where the Flames are at! They have a chance to grab 3 solid young prospects in a deep draft for their weak pool.
Yup. Their first pick is high enough they could walk away with at least one stud and two damn solid NHL players.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:33 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Avs want something much more proven. Include a guy like Baertschi or Brodie along with 6 and 22 and then we'll get to talking.

Maybe even Baertschi, Giordano and 6th for 1st. Avs get a great young W prospect (organizational need), a proven top pairing D (organizational need) and still get a legit prospect with the 6th pick. Flames get their franchise C they've needed for more than a decade.
I'm not even a Flames fan and that's just ridiculous! That pick is being way overrated, as a Canuck fan I'd love to see the Flames trade all that for the Avs 1st, they get ripped off pretty bad. Honestly moving up 5 spots is not worth all that, I think their 3 1st is fair trade but that depends on the Avs needs.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:43 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Why are people thrown in players from other drafts? That's has no play into future drafts, look at the 03 draft some of the guys picked late would be top 10 picks yet they were taken later in the 1st guys like Perry, Getz, Kesler, Parise, Weber in the 2nd round, this is also a really deep and good draft class. I think the Flames would be much better to keep those picks, since their doomed to suck for a few more years and will be in the running for the 1st overall so use these picks to help deepen your pool and the next few well I'm sure you'll be getting the 1st overall with LA, Ducks, Canucks all beaten on you and maybe one day the Oilers if they ever live up to this team of destiny they keep calling themselves.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:59 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
HFBoards: where there's people who think trading away a potential franchise player for depth makes sense.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:17 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
HFBoards: where there's people who think trading away a potential franchise player for depth makes sense.
I've never heard this... It's trading back 5 spots and getting 2 more 1st round draft picks in a deep draft, I'm not saying the Avs should do it as I think they could use Jones a lot. HF has always overrated and valued top picks and prospects over proven solid NHL players.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:17 AM
GRECOHAB

Feaster typical...

GRECOHAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
I've never heard this... It's trading back 5 spots and getting 2 more 1st round draft picks in a deep draft, I'm not saying the Avs should do it as I think they could use Jones a lot. HF has always overrated and valued top picks and prospects over proven solid NHL players.
The drop off from someone like Jones or MacKinnon to someone like Lindholm or Monahan is pretty significant and more than 50% of prospect taken after the top 10 fail to make the NHL. This is a bad deal for the Avs every which way you look at it.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:49 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
The drop off from someone like Jones or MacKinnon to someone like Lindholm or Monahan is pretty significant and more than 50% of prospect taken after the top 10 fail to make the NHL. This is a bad deal for the Avs every which way you look at it.
Well we don't know that yet... Also a guy like Horvat could really become a very important player and then you add the players you can get at the 22 and 28, which in this draft should be solid players, look at ROR on your team a 2nd rounder but now is a key part of your team and could be a top line center. I'm not saying the Avs should as I believe you need a potential top pairing D man for the left side and Jones could be that, you guys have a lot of talent in your system so I could very well understand why you wouldn't want the extra picks, but for Calgary I would think taking a guy like Horvat and 2 more 1st rounders for their weak pool would be huge for them, I don't think the 6th overall, 22nd overall and the 28th overall is a bad offer for a team to move back 5 spots, depending on need.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:37 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Well we don't know that yet... Also a guy like Horvat could really become a very important player and then you add the players you can get at the 22 and 28, which in this draft should be solid players, look at ROR on your team a 2nd rounder but now is a key part of your team and could be a top line center. I'm not saying the Avs should as I believe you need a potential top pairing D man for the left side and Jones could be that, you guys have a lot of talent in your system so I could very well understand why you wouldn't want the extra picks, but for Calgary I would think taking a guy like Horvat and 2 more 1st rounders for their weak pool would be huge for them, I don't think the 6th overall, 22nd overall and the 28th overall is a bad offer for a team to move back 5 spots, depending on need.
I think making the assumption you will get 2 sure fire picks with the 22nd and 28th is wrong(sure it could happen, but odds say it won't).

It's a basic case you are trading a potential star player(1/2) for a potential very good player(6) and 2 chances(22 + 28) to get a player who rates anywhere from average to very good. Sure there is a very unlikely scenario that you hit the jackpot on all 3 picks, but their also is the scenario that you get you guy at 6 who is very good but nowhere as good as Jones or Mackinnon) and the other 2 picks end up as duds or average at best marginal NHLers

The most likely way Colorado wins this trade if they made it is basically if Jones doesn't an out to be as good as predicted because if he turns out as advertised I don't care what three guys Calgary gets it won't be enough. I am of the personal belief that a team should build it's core around top end star quality players and it's much easier to find those guys picking 1, then picking 6,22 and 28

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 04:50 AM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post

Kane > Giroux

Just because somebody doesn't pick your favourite player doesn't mean they're insane.

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
They should take it. Remember when Colorado offered four firsts for Vinny and ended up drafting Tanguay, Skoula, Regehr and Parker and winning a cup? When you consider that 98 was one of the weakest drafts ever.
1998 was a great draft.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:05 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

If the Flames are smart, they keep their picks. They don't have a deep prospect-pool, and could definitely need to upgrade it in terms of depth.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:08 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Hopefully Florida will take it.
Quality>quantity

No thanks.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Neither team should make this trade.

Calgary would strip what little they already have. The Flames should just hold their picks and try to develop some depth for their future. They're a poorly built franchise and could use all the help they can get. They'll most likely be a bottom 5 team next year and should be able to acquire a top prospect in next years draft.

The Avs have a solid young core and should continue to add to that with a high end talent like Jones or McKinnon.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Yeah, and two late first round picks aren't proven either.
Those are pretty overrated here as people for some kind of reason don't see the possibility of those never making any sort of impact at the NHL.

What people are saying is that they'd actually want something "proven" coming back for the 1st overall. I'd also do a 6th, Baertschi and Giordano for the 1st trade. The three first round picks on the other hand? Nope.

Last edited by Kschey: 06-16-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Ceremony
the times she cried

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Neither team should make this trade.

Calgary would strip what little they already have. The Flames should just hold their picks and try to develop some depth for their future. They're a poorly built franchise and could use all the help they can get. They'll most likely be a bottom 5 team next year and should be able to acquire a top prospect in next years draft.

The Avs have a solid young core and should continue to add to that with a high end talent like Jones or McKinnon.
I agree with this. Avs need the star they'll get, Calgary needs more pieces (although 6th+22 could maybe get them up a spot or two). Doesn't make sense for either team.