HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers name Alain Vigneault head coach - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2013, 08:03 AM
  #201
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,707
vCash: 500
Is AV a more puck possession coach ?

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:05 AM
  #202
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Is AV a more puck possession coach ?
More puck possession and less collapsing in the d-zone. More active attempts to retrieve puck or give other team the bad angle attempts.

I'm just curious the PP system he implemented.

hpNYR is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
  #203
marciiauzii
Registered User
 
marciiauzii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to marciiauzii
Hoping for sucess because Torts did a lot for this team and it was successful.
At least east conference finals next year, anything less will be a dissapointment

marciiauzii is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:42 AM
  #204
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 500
Honestly, he sounds like Tortorella with a game plan offensively, better PP and nicer to the media.

I'll take it.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:48 AM
  #205
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,714
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Who gives a flying **** about being nice to the media? Really? That's a positive? Who cares?

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is online now  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:50 AM
  #206
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who gives a flying **** about being nice to the media? Really? That's a positive? Who cares?
The same morons who vote for president based on frivolities like that. Welcome to America.

TheRightWay is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:53 AM
  #207
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Well, his approach to media is reflective of him as a person, in the locker room and beyond etc. so media wise, maybe it doesn't make a difference but overall, he'll be a good change of climate for the players. When players have to approach a coach in numbers to give a honest evaluation of the team and reasoning toward a change in strategy, there are problems beyond just media relations.

Cresto is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:54 AM
  #208
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,673
vCash: 500
Completely forgot Pyatt and AV have a past

I guess that means Pyatt will probably be around next season

silverfish is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:55 AM
  #209
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
More puck possession and less collapsing in the d-zone. More active attempts to retrieve puck or give other team the bad angle attempts.

I'm just curious the PP system he implemented.
that was torts biggest down fall that pissed me off, which he never in game adjusted was the collapsing fwds and allowing other teams dman to all look like all-stars... fwds didnt score as many goals as the dman did in was and boston series.. that is uacceptable.. also the PP ofcourse how can we forget that..

AV should be interested to watch.. i think he was the best choice for us and I hope it pays dividends!

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 08:58 AM
  #210
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Is Brooks trying to undermine Vigneault already with this suggestion?





http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Brooks is an idiot. His true colors are revealed as not knowing the sport, when he starts writing his opinions.

He's good at leaking information. He should stick to it.

The Rangers should put Messier as head coach of their top minor league affiliate where all of their top prospects go to develop before reaching the NHL? Really, Brooks, that's a good idea? Awful.

If the Rangers seek out a new coaching staff for Hartford, it should again be a guy with experience and runs a system in line with what Vigneault and his staff will be running in New York. Making the transition from AHL to NHL a little easier for players because they can keep it simple by staying within the system they mostly already know.

If Messier wants to coach, he needs to do the right thing. Go through the process like every body else. Start from the bottom and work his way up. Coach CHL, USHL, NCAA. Win something there first. Move up. Win something at the Pro level in Europe, ECHL, AHL. Then he can think about coaching in the NHL. YEARS after he starts the process and has success at each level to justify his rise through the ranks.

He shouldn't just be handed a major coaching position.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:07 AM
  #211
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,988
vCash: 500
Messier coaching the Pack wouldn't be the worst idea to at least see how it goes. Not a huge fan of Gernander, and I feel like the Rangers should also be trying to develop future coaches as well

e: or assistant coach. Gernander was basically given the head coaching job with the qualifications of "hey he was a good leader in the AHL when he played"

Levitate is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:12 AM
  #212
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckrush View Post
Brooks is an idiot. His true colors are revealed as not knowing the sport, when he starts writing his opinions.

He's good at leaking information. He should stick to it.

The Rangers should put Messier as head coach of their top minor league affiliate where all of their top prospects go to develop before reaching the NHL? Really, Brooks, that's a good idea? Awful.

If the Rangers seek out a new coaching staff for Hartford, it should again be a guy with experience and runs a system in line with what Vigneault and his staff will be running in New York. Making the transition from AHL to NHL a little easier for players because they can keep it simple by staying within the system they mostly already know.

If Messier wants to coach, he needs to do the right thing. Go through the process like every body else. Start from the bottom and work his way up. Coach CHL, USHL, NCAA. Win something there first. Move up. Win something at the Pro level in Europe, ECHL, AHL. Then he can think about coaching in the NHL. YEARS after he starts the process and has success at each level to justify his rise through the ranks.

He shouldn't just be handed a major coaching position.
He could take the route Oates took and be an assistant coach in the NHL and if he strives in that position go for an NHL head coaching job. He may do well as an assistant w. vigneault if everyone wants and likes that arrangement.

Maineice11 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
  #213
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Completely forgot Pyatt and AV have a past

I guess that means Pyatt will probably be around next season
well, Torts and Pyatt had a decent relationship as well. With AV in though, maybe he can get some of that goodness out of Pyatt.

Cresto is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
  #214
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
I wonder if AV could beat up Brooksie at the bus stop

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
  #215
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
well, Torts and Pyatt had a decent relationship as well. With AV in though, maybe he can get some of that goodness out of Pyatt.
we will see.. Pyatt had his two best years under AV in Van

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:39 AM
  #216
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who gives a flying **** about being nice to the media? Really? That's a positive? Who cares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
The same morons who vote for president based on frivolities like that. Welcome to America.
Actually, I didn't care what he said to the media. I actually found his press conferences funny. But a lot of fans thought he was rude/clownish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Well, his approach to media is reflective of him as a person, in the locker room and beyond etc. so media wise, maybe it doesn't make a difference but overall, he'll be a good change of climate for the players. When players have to approach a coach in numbers to give a honest evaluation of the team and reasoning toward a change in strategy, there are problems beyond just media relations.
Agreed!

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 09:43 AM
  #217
Maineice11
Registered User
 
Maineice11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 6,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
I wonder if AV could beat up Brooksie at the bus stop


haha

Maineice11 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:12 AM
  #218
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
AV looks like a tough cookie. The kind that wouldn't flaunt and act alpha but when the **** hits the fan, he looks to me like the type that will just suddenly wail away at someone.

Cresto is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
  #219
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,868
vCash: 500
Torts has another interview with the Canucks coming up this week. They have another candidate coming in for an interview. No word if its a 2nd interview or someone new. Ruff was in there last week.

Regarding Messier. Let him go somewhere else and get his coaching experience. The Rangers don't need Messier hanging out around when the team goes on a 3 game losing streak.

Go hire another someone else to coach the Pack if the Rangers even have any plans to replace Gernander. He is Schoenfeld's boy. Torts was also close to Jim and he got the boot. Ruff was teammates with Schoeny in Buffalo and he didn't get an interview.

Sather made the decision on Vigneault because Slats didn't want to lose him to the Stars. Dallas had an offer on the table to AV.

Since AV was #1 on the list,why didn't Sather just make him the offer instead of waiting for Dallas to make AV an offer?

There is some Vigneault and Messier stuff here. Torts too.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Hockey/ID/2391624818/

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
  #220
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 74,714
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Actually, I didn't care what he said to the media. I actually found his press conferences funny. But a lot of fans thought he was rude/clownish.



Agreed!
And those fans are stupid. Rude and clownish? Who gives a ****? He nearly got us to the Cup last year. Those same people were *****ing about that garbage last year. I cannot believe being nice to the media means anything to some on here. It's absurd.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:25 AM
  #221
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Messier coaching the Pack wouldn't be the worst idea to at least see how it goes. Not a huge fan of Gernander, and I feel like the Rangers should also be trying to develop future coaches as well

e: or assistant coach. Gernander was basically given the head coaching job with the qualifications of "hey he was a good leader in the AHL when he played"
Gernander was Schoenfeld's assistant in Hartford when the latter was HC.

Messier said coaching isn't a spur of the moment deal for him. If that is the case,he could have pursued a position in the AHL or CHL or an assistant coach position in the AHL instead of doing nothing and then wanting his first job be in the NHL.

Same thing with Leetch. No eagerness to pay their dues.

Phil Housley recently accepted an assistant coaching job with Nashville

Housley coached high school hockey and the US WJC team to gold earlier this season

Quote:
Housley, 49, spent nine seasons as head coach for the Ponies and compiled a 109-109-21 record — which was a significant improvement for a program that in more than half a century has never won a conference or section championship. In the seven years prior to Housley’s arrival and the beefed up nonconference schedule he brought in with him, the Ponies went just 49-118-7.

“I don’t think I’m surprised based on the success he’s had at World Juniors and the World Championships. It’s a great opportunity for him,” Stillwater Activities Director Ricky Michel said. “If you’re trying to get to the next level of coaching, clearly, being an assistant coach in the NHL is definitely a step up from being a high school coach.”

As a player and coach, Housley has been active with USA Hockey from the start of his career, including a recent stint as an assistant coach for the U.S. National Team that just captured the bronze medal at the World Championships on Sunday in Sweden — the first medal for the Americans at this event in nine years. Housley guided Team USA to a gold medal at the World Junior Championships earlier this year and he previously served as an assistant coach for teams that won bronze medals at the World Junior Championships in 2007 and 2011.
http://stillwatergazette.com/2013/05...ith-predators/

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:28 AM
  #222
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts has another interview with the Canucks coming up this week. They have another candidate coming in for an interview. No word if its a 2nd interview or someone new. Ruff was in there last week.

Regarding Messier. Let him go somewhere else and get his coaching experience. The Rangers don't need Messier hanging out around when the team goes on a 3 game losing streak.

Go hire another someone else to coach the Pack if the Rangers even have any plans to replace Gernander. He is Schoenfeld's boy. Torts was also close to Jim and he got the boot. Ruff was teammates with Schoeny in Buffalo and he didn't get an interview.

Sather made the decision on Vigneault because Slats didn't want to lose him to the Stars. Dallas had an offer on the table to AV.

Since AV was #1 on the list,why didn't Sather just make him the offer instead of waiting for Dallas to make AV an offer?

There is some Vigneault and Messier stuff here. Torts too.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Hockey/ID/2391624818/
Due diligence with other candidates. Waiting to see what happened to Bylsma and the Coyotes (Tippet leaving if they weren't staying in PHO). You can always have a top candidate in mind and a better option come around. He waited until the last possible moment to see if any better options presented themselves.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:29 AM
  #223
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who gives a flying **** about being nice to the media? Really? That's a positive? Who cares?
I loved Torts in many areas and never had any problems with his media work, but he just dropped the ball when it came to adjusting to the post-lockout game (we looked horrible for stretches and he completely failed with Tampa before getting canned there. Many forgets that, he had a Tampa team with, yes, some flaws but also a ton of nukes but still like not only missed the POs but finnished dead last with that team. 30th overall). And, he didn't have the player types that could make up for his short-comings, ie like a Drew Doughty that could give us a transition game or a forward line like the Sedins that spends 20+ minutes in the attacking zone no matter who is behind the bench.

Ola is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:31 AM
  #224
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm hearing 3 guys it's down to in Vancouver is John Torterella, Lindy Ruff & Jacques Martin, w/ Martin expected to have 2nd intv this week
https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...71102500220930

Torts for Vigneault.

The Rangers have to work some $ issues with Vancouver

Quote:
Finalization of the agreement is not expected before tomorrow, with details yet to be worked out between the Rangers and Canucks, to whom the 52-year-old Vigneault remains under contract for one or two more seasons following his dismissal last month.

The hiring team generally absorbs the cost of any remaining years of a dismissed employee’s contract, though clubs have been known to negotiate for a partial off-set.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Any team hiring Torts has the same issues to work out with the Rangers. Torts has 2 years remaining on his Rangers contract.

Sather and Gillis should hold one call to hammer out the details on AV and John's contracts.

From that group,Torts is the best coach.

No John Stevens.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 10:33 AM
  #225
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And those fans are stupid. Rude and clownish? Who gives a ****? He nearly got us to the Cup last year. Those same people were *****ing about that garbage last year. I cannot believe being nice to the media means anything to some on here. It's absurd.
I don't get why it bothers you. To each his own. The fans that believe AV is a better candidate partly because he's better with the media are not running the franchise. Plenty of fans say stupid things on these boards.

Rust Heisenberg is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.