HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2013, 08:47 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Waive mez? Hell no. Edm could give us something. I'd hold on to him myself. People forget how awesome he was a few years ago
People also forget though that he played against some of the easiest, if not the easiest, opponents. his QOC was the lowest among our regular defenders (well not counting random 7's playing)

Old
06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Prongo
Beer

5th overall is available according to reports. They desperately need top 4 help and with Streit here Coburn can maybe be moved. Rutherford Is actually one GM I could see making that type of deal

Old
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
5th overall is available according to reports. They desperately need top 4 help and with Streit here Coburn can maybe be moved. Rutherford Is actually one GM I could see making that type of deal
I think the 11th and Coburn could get it done but then who does the Flyers get to replace Coburn?

Old
06-16-2013, 09:38 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think the 11th and Coburn could get it done but then who does the Flyers get to replace Coburn?
Rob Scuderi when he becomes a free agent.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:42 AM
FLYERSFAN18

I would definitely do Coburn for the 5th overall and sign Scuderi. Our defense would be kind of old for a year or two, but we would likely wind up with a really good player

Old
06-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Rob Scuderi when he becomes a free agent.
That would be a very old defense. I guess it would depend on how people rate Monahan because that's who I would think they take at 5, unless Drouin was available there. Personally, I would do it because I think Monahan is criminally underrated in this draft.

If Calgary is still in love with Matt Read, maybe the Flyers could trade him for one of their late firsts and than draft a defenseman too.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Prongo
Beer

I would move up to 5 for one reason, to draft nurse. I almost want to say he is going to be he beat defenseman in this draft, yes even above jones. He has all the tools to be great, next year is a huge year for him. I think he takes that next step.

Also I wouldn't move Coburn + 11th for it. Way too much IMHO

Old
06-16-2013, 09:51 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
That would be a very old defense. I guess it would depend on how people rate Monahan because that's who I would think they take at 5, unless Drouin was available there. Personally, I would do it because I think Monahan is criminally underrated in this draft.

If Calgary is still in love with Matt Read, maybe the Flyers could trade him for one of their late firsts and than draft a defenseman too.
What if the proposed deal with Carolina was Gleason + 5th for Coburn + 11th?

Old
06-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I would do that in a heartbeat but I am not so sure Carolina would. I would think they would want to add to their defense, not subtract.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:14 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
I would also say yes to that.

Nurse you would think we would steal away at 5, provided all of this happened.

Why not coburn + prospect(bourdon, mcginn) instead of a pick. There has to be someone we don't value but the canes would.

I am weary about giving too much.

It would be sick if we could swing it and have 5 and 11. I'd he a happy camper

Old
06-16-2013, 10:22 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I would also say yes to that.

Nurse you would think we would steal away at 5, provided all of this happened.

Why not coburn + prospect(bourdon, mcginn) instead of a pick. There has to be someone we don't value but the canes would.

I am weary about giving too much.

It would be sick if we could swing it and have 5 and 11. I'd he a happy camper
No package of Couburn and a prospect of ours is getting #5.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Adam Warlock

There is a lot of speculation about teams wanting the 1st overall pick. I am not sure if the Avs would consider or moving it or not, but I could see the Flyers looking to get it. Seth Jones would not only fill a need but he would be a very marketable player in Philadelphia.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
There is a lot of speculation about teams wanting the 1st overall pick. I am not sure if the Avs would consider or moving it or not, but I could see the Flyers looking to get it. Seth Jones would not only fill a need but he would be a very marketable player in Philadelphia.
The Aves turned down 3 firsts starting with the 6th overall from Calgary. The package from the Flyers would have to be so huge it wouldn't be worth it.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

I dont know why people are so high on trying to flip Coburn. Whats he worth to the team vs what kind of return you could actually get for him, it makes more sense to stand pat with him IMO. I really can't see the Flyers jumping up to 5th or 6th. I think this is one of those years where they stay at 11. I could see them trading some later picks though move around a little in the draft later rounds.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Adam Warlock

Quote:
The Aves turned down 3 firsts starting with the 6th overall from Calgary. The package from the Flyers would have to be so huge it wouldn't be worth it.
I think if they did move the pick they would prefer to have NHL ready talent involved. The Flyers could maybe offer Coburn and Read or something with the 11th. Probably still wouldnt get it done but I could see the Flyers looking into it.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

If we got the 5th, I'd take a hard look at Nurse, Nichushkin or Lindholm. Lindholm or Nichushkin on Giroux's wing could be nasty for years. Then for the 11th you take a defender like Risto or Morrissey. Or you take Nurse at 11, and someone like Shinkaruk or Zykov at 11.

But yea, it is a huge risk. Im not on the give up on Coburn wagon because we dont have someone to fill his spot. That being said though IF it was him for the 5th you take it I would say.

You hope Mez is HEALTHY or just sign someone just incase:

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Grossmann
Gustafsson-Meszaros
Gervias

Huge risk though. Grab a guy like Ian White would NOT be a bad option though. He's a borderline 4 which is what we would need.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:33 AM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I don't really think Coburn is expendable, unless they plan to get another defenseman. We needed to add a guy like Streit, we won't blow this up by trading one of our key defensemen.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Prestige Worldwide
Rookie User

Streit - Schenn
Timonen - Scuderi
Grossmann - Gus
Gervais
Huskins

Old
06-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Rolex

I don't know what emphasis the Flyers put on genetics but with early maturers, what you see physically right now is good but it isn't going to get much better if at all. Some of these other guys are going to project into different bodies in five years. Hopefully the organization takes this into consideration when making their selections. Watching Chara last night, I remembered what he looked like as a player when he first started his career with the Isles. Big difference.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Stizzle

I can't see us moving Coburn. Also, I think us moving back in the first round is way more likely than us moving up. If whoever we are targetting at 11th, doesn't fall to us, trading back makes a lot of sense because it's such a deep draft.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:16 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I can't see us moving Coburn. Also, I think us moving back in the first round is way more likely than us moving up. If whoever we are targetting at 11th, doesn't fall to us, trading back makes a lot of sense because it's such a deep draft.
I don't really like the idea of any movement really. Sure when draft day gets underway a move might make sense but as of right now there are too many variables and I believe the best course of action, again at this point, would be to stand pat.

I think Coburn is decent enough and his contract is far from terrible but if the right deal came along I'd be OK with it but it have to be a pretty good deal.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:21 PM
TheKingPin

Really like the idea if offer sheeting bernier for little over 3 mill a year and only giving back a second. Or at least having that available while negotiating. I really think that we are going to get him for Matt read or less. Given the above LA really needs to accept this or a similar deal or end up with very little to nothing as they won't match a contract worth that much...

Mason bernier would be outstanding. That plus our D looking better and bryz gone with young guys a bit older I'd think we'd be top 4 in the east

Old
06-16-2013, 01:51 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Really like the idea if offer sheeting bernier for little over 3 mill a year and only giving back a second. Or at least having that available while negotiating. I really think that we are going to get him for Matt read or less. Given the above LA really needs to accept this or a similar deal or end up with very little to nothing as they won't match a contract worth that much...

Mason bernier would be outstanding. That plus our D looking better and bryz gone with young guys a bit older I'd think we'd be top 4 in the east
Yeah I've been warming up to the idea of a Bernier-Mason tandem. If they don't move him during the draft I would definitely throw an offer sheet his way and try to use it as leverage for them to accept a Read for Bernier deal.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Don't think that's how Holmgren operates at the draft. If it was, they would have traded down last year.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
06-16-2013, 01:58 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Don't think that's how Holmgren operates at the draft. If it was, they would have traded down last year.
It seems like every other year a story comes out about how the guy the Flyers had targeted got picked just before the Flyers but they never move down, they just pick the next guy on their board (Bobby Sangs before Giroux, Wilson and Teravainen last year, hell in today's column Meltzer brought up Chet Pickard before Sbisa).

Closed Thread