HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So Price finishes tied for 10th in Vezina voting and 17th for the Hart. Not bad for a guy who "struggled" this season.
Honestly hard to believe.

Would like to see sources.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Honestly hard to believe.

Would like to see sources.
Hart
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/1...hy-winner-2013

Vezina
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/6/1...hy-winner-2013

Old
06-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Oh ok, one lunatic gave him a 4th place vote for the hart. Means nothing really. Thank you for the links though.

EDIT:

Looking at these lists, they should make it so that points don't register until you get at least 2 or 3 votes to eliminate votes of people who were high when they voted. Some of these votes are really retarded. Dupuis, Nabokov, Price in the top 5 ? Really ?

Last edited by Des Louise: 06-15-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old
06-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Who in here would trade Price for Nabokov? 'Cause Nobokov did finish 14th for the Hart... And honestly, when 1 vote means a position...not sure it's worth mentioning.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Who in here would trade Price for Nabokov? 'Cause Nobokov did finish 14th for the Hart... And honestly, when 1 vote means a position...not sure it's worth mentioning.
It's not a question of would you trade them but Nabokov did have a very strong season and was a big part of the Islander's success.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
It's not a question of would you trade them but Nabokov did have a very strong season and was a big part of the Islander's success.
He had 1 vote. Probably by a New York journalist. Tell me you thought that Henrik Sedin would have even deserve 1 vote here. Nobody says Nabokov was a slouch, but using those to explain was actually not as bad is not a good way. Besides, it is a false debate has nobody has ever said that Price was terrible all year long. But he underachieved and WAS terrible towards the end of season. And wasn't great in the playoffs, where the Hart and Vezina trophy doesn't matter. But where we are expecting Carey to take THE NEXT STEP.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Oh ok, one lunatic gave him a 4th place vote for the hart. Means nothing really. Thank you for the links though.

EDIT:

Looking at these lists, they should make it so that points don't register until you get at least 2 or 3 votes to eliminate votes of people who were high when they voted. Some of these votes are really retarded. Dupuis, Nabokov, Price in the top 5 ? Really ?
To be fair Dupuis led the league in +/- and both the Islanders and Habs were expected to be near the basement but made the playoffs. It's not surprising the goalies would get some consideration. Are Sutter and Beauchemin also undeserving of their votes? Both were the MVPs of their teams and led those teams to the playoffs.

I wouldn't have given Price a Hart vote but to claim someone has to be insane or high to do so sounds like sour grapes.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
To be fair Dupuis led the league in +/- and both the Islanders and Habs were expected to be near the basement but made the playoffs. It's not surprising the goalies would get some consideration. Are Sutter and Beauchemin also undeserving of their votes? Both were the MVPs of their teams and led those teams to the playoffs.

I wouldn't have given Price a Hart vote but to claim someone has to be insane or high to do so sounds like sour grapes.
I can see why people gave some votes to Beauchemin and Suter. But I don't get Price, Nabokov and Dupuis. +/- is a joke of a stat so I hope that wasn't the rationale.

The 3 I named are just a huge reach, even just a 5th place vote.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
He had 1 vote. Probably by a New York journalist. Tell me you thought that Henrik Sedin would have even deserve 1 vote here. Nobody says Nabokov was a slouch, but using those to explain was actually not as bad is not a good way. Besides, it is a false debate has nobody has ever said that Price was terrible all year long. But he underachieved and WAS terrible towards the end of season. And wasn't great in the playoffs, where the Hart and Vezina trophy doesn't matter. But where we are expecting Carey to take THE NEXT STEP.
I'm not sure why it matters where the journalist is from. I wouldn't have voted for Sedin or Price but that doesn't make them undeserving.

Why should the 2 weeks at the end of the season matter more then the 3 months before? Especially since we had already clinched so weren't exactly fighting for our lives. I'm not saying Price was great and doesn't need to be better but it's never a good ideao to judge a player on a few weeks good or bad.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
I can see why people gave some votes to Beauchemin and Suter. But I don't get Price, Nabokov and Dupuis. +/- is a joke of a stat so I hope that wasn't the rationale.

The 3 I named are just a huge reach, even just a 5th place vote.
So why should your opinion be worth more than the guys who were asked to vote?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Where does he say that? Isn't he ALSO entitled to his opinion?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:48 PM
CP31

More factual info that the haters will push to the side as if it's nothing.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Is it fair to say he was terrible? Or Is it of hyperbolic matter ?

Old
06-16-2013, 01:06 AM
habsfanatics

Using throw away votes by reporters to vouch for Price's season, especially when it was terrible, seems like someone grasping at straws. lol

Old
06-16-2013, 01:50 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Using throw away votes by reporters to vouch for Price's season, especially when it was terrible, seems like someone grasping at straws. lol
Vezina is voted on by the 30 GMs..............

Old
06-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Is it fair to say he was terrible? Or Is it of hyperbolic matter ?
He was bad. Plain and simple. For the years he's been in the league and the hype that came in with him, he had to be better than what he's shown so far and this year. I got bashed for saying that Rask was a much better goalie than Price 1 year ago....Needless to say that there's quite some gap to fill if Carey wants to be at his level. Though not being at Rask level doesn't mean he's then terrible, that I know....But at one point, it is beyond terrible. It is about meeting the expectations. And with all that happened from his start of his career to now, NOT being terrible is NOT what we have in mind for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
And he got 1 vote. Congrats. Hype is still present. One day, real soon, people will stop talking about potential. 'Cause again, in the talks you keep hearing throughout the league, what you hear is "Carey has everything to become a great goalie in the league". Potential talk. Time to step up, as he mentioned himself, enough of the chilling out, and get to work.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Results reflect the season Price had. A vote here and a vote there doesnt make much difference you can see the GM's thoughts built into the first place votes.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
He was bad. Plain and simple. For the years he's been in the league and the hype that came in with him, he had to be better than what he's shown so far and this year. I got bashed for saying that Rask was a much better goalie than Price 1 year ago....Needless to say that there's quite some gap to fill if Carey wants to be at his level. Though not being at Rask level doesn't mean he's then terrible, that I know....But at one point, it is beyond terrible. It is about meeting the expectations. And with all that happened from his start of his career to now, NOT being terrible is NOT what we have in mind for him.

And he got 1 vote. Congrats. Hype is still present. One day, real soon, people will stop talking about potential. 'Cause again, in the talks you keep hearing throughout the league, what you hear is "Carey has everything to become a great goalie in the league". Potential talk. Time to step up, as he mentioned himself, enough of the chilling out, and get to work.
Rask has 1 season of 20 wins. Price has 1 season where he hasn't gotten 20 wins. Rask may have a case for being better but it's based on a small sample size. I'd personally like to see him play a full season first. It would also be interesting to see how he does when he's not playing behind one of the best defensive teams in the league.

As for the hype, if you think he's a failure because you thought he'd be a Roy or Brodeur that's your problem not Price's. Why not judge him based on what he's done. As a rookie he split the duties of a team that was expected to be on the bubble but finished 1st. He's led the league in wins in another season. Had a 2nd place finish on a team many predicted would finish in the basement. He's the 7th youngest goalie to reach 100 wins. Is a 3 time All-Star and was named to the All-Rookie team.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:37 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Ridiculous.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
More factual info that the haters will push to the side as if it's nothing.
What factual info? The factual info are the stats. It's downright pathetic to see you and the other blind fanboys pick and choose what "factual info" is valid. So utterly pathetic how you and others will defend poor play. Such low standards.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:48 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Rask has 1 season of 20 wins. Price has 1 season where he hasn't gotten 20 wins. Rask may have a case for being better but it's based on a small sample size. I'd personally like to see him play a full season first. It would also be interesting to see how he does when he's not playing behind one of the best defensive teams in the league.

As for the hype, if you think he's a failure because you thought he'd be a Roy or Brodeur that's your problem not Price's. Why not judge him based on what he's done. As a rookie he split the duties of a team that was expected to be on the bubble but finished 1st. He's led the league in wins in another season. Had a 2nd place finish on a team many predicted would finish in the basement. He's the 7th youngest goalie to reach 100 wins. Is a 3 time All-Star and was named to the All-Rookie team.

All star nominations mean NOTHING! Mike Komisarek was a bloody all star. Rask is better the Price. You can try to downplay him as much as you want. He has put up good to great numbers for his entire career in the regular season AND playoffs. I know for the fanboys, playoff numbers don't seem to count, but Rask is 3 wins away from a Cup after stealing yet another game. What will be the excuses and the ways you discredit him once a ring is on his finger? Both goalies playing...I have never seen Price play at that level in high pressure games.

Price is a decent/good goalie, but some here have built him up to god-like status due to the media, fans, Gainey's ass kissing. The stats tell a different story. Oh but he's young...ok..then why is he paid like a top 2 goalie? But but...All stars... He has gotten out of the 2nd round once....and got embarassed. He hasn't gotten any better. What in his game has improved? The same issues he had years ago are still here.

He is still developing and can be a great goalie, but he's not there yet. Others with less hype, draft positioning, less talent, coddling have surpassed him.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:05 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Whatever, it was still a insignificant throw away vote. It was probably Jay Feaster or Bergevin himself lol. The vote means nothing, Price was below average this year, nothing will ever change that.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The league needs a new award, the Esposito Trophy,and give it to Carey annually for his great dedication to the preservation of potential.

The fact that the trophy would be named after Angelo, and not Tony or Phil, could be a great inside joke.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
One GM gave him a 3rd place vote for the Vezina. If anything that GM could have been Bergevin, or maybe the GM of a team where Price was solid all year against him. Or some guy out west who has barely seen him play this year. One vote is basically just white noise and entirely meaningless.

As for the hart, it is voted by the medias. One lunatic gave him a 4th place vote. Again white noise.

But if people want to read something into that, fine..

Quote:
I didn't say that.

But give me YOUR opinion. Do you believe that Price, Dupuis, Sedin and/or Nabokov deserved a vote as top 5 player in the league last season ? If we both agree these 4 didn't deserve a vote, then why are you being contrarian ?

Last edited by Des Louise: 06-16-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old
06-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

As for the hype, if you think he's a failure because you thought he'd be a Roy or Brodeur that's your problem not Price's. Why not judge him based on what he's done.
As a rookie he split the duties of a team that was expected to be on the bubble but finished 1st. He's led the league in wins in another season. Had a 2nd place finish on a team many predicted would finish in the basement. He's the 7th youngest goalie to reach 100 wins. Is a 3 time All-Star and was named to the All-Rookie team.
We used a top 5 pick on him. A top 5 pick is a huge opportunity for a franchise to score an impact player. That comes with expectations no matter what.

Now that he is making top dollars and is paid like a top 3 goalie, he should be playing like one.

There are reasons for the expectations. You make it sound like WS expectations are unfair but Price isn't your regular 3rd round draft pick with a 2-3M cap hit.

Closed Thread