HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2013, 01:55 AM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
ok question for y'all:

Would you trade 25, 34 & 36 for pick & 5?

For which player?
Not enough to get top-5, but if we're going for top-5 why not top-4? After top-4 we could get as good of a player at 25 if were lucky enough, the real deal is whoever of the top-4 ends up the last. If we can get our hands on Barkov for Plek + 25, 34,36 that'd be magical.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:24 AM
DAChampion

I can't believe we're going to see a line of St-Louis-Stamkos-Drouin next year, with Lecavalier as a 2nd line center and Hedman as a top dman.

Tampa Bay is such a joke. I wonder if they draft Aaron Ekblad next year.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I really think grit, size and character are going to be key components in Habs' top picks this year, along with skill of course. (...)

McCoshen/Mueller, McCarron, Bailey and Diaby..if the Habs can leave the draft with that group.....and a good goalie prospect...I will have considered it a major success. I really can't see McCarron dropping to 34 though - too many teams looking for that type of player.
Grant posted about his interactions with Timmins, last year. I'm assuming he's still close enough to Timmins, such that the names he includes in his wish list, are not just speculation. He has his finger on the pulse.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:28 AM
yianik

Well when we look at these big, good skating, physical D guys the only reason we have a shot at them is because they lack something and the only thing left is high skill level. Im not concerned about offensive upside, we have deepness in PMDs, what we lack in our system are big, physical ,nasty crease clearers. Skating ability is required but these guys seem to have it . Good skill set , beyond being able to make a good outlet pass is only a bonus for me.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
Grant and White snake I would like to know your opinion on Tyler Hill thanks in advance.
Only going with reports who almost seems the same than McCarron. Surely more raw and the offensive potential seems more questionable than McCarron though.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One thing is sure...if we end up with McCoshen, McCarron, Bailey and Diaby...not sure it will make us a better team...but it's SURELY a statement. Smallest guy is 6'3'' 185 lbs in Bailey...

Old
06-16-2013, 08:36 AM
HabsSlappy

I have a feeling that Justin Bailey reminds the Habs brass a lot of Max Pacioretty. I know I see it myself. Bailey is about 20 lbs lighter than Max was in his draft year, but his skating stride and style seem to be similar. I would be very surprised if we do not pick him this year.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:39 AM
yianik

McCarron isn't a guy I was really looking at but given the recent posts and apparently the Habs interest in him I have been reading up more on him. The concerns seem to be his offensive upside. I read one draft analysis that had him pretty low and had him as a 3rd liner potential because of below average stick handling and playmaking ability. He was described as having a powerful wrister but he was too slow in unleashing it and so telegraphing it. The positives are his size, good skating for his size seems to be agreed upon from several sources as does his ability to hit and go to the tough areas of the ice. Decent defensive game and a good PK. We want upside and I guess the question is how that would happen. He has the size and the willingness to use it. We have seen how valuable guys are that have size , play physical and are willing to charge the net and also stand in front of it. In my view a guy like that doesn't really need to be a very good stickhanler or playmaker, not his piece of the puzzle. If he can play a simple game, is able to make a simple pass to an open guy, take a pass and can carry the puck a bit but unable to stickhandle through people that's okay. The other key piece is having a good shot from in close, because he wont score much if he is only able to bang away at pucks. So if TT thinks this kids shot issue can be resolved, and I know teaching skill reaaly cant be done at this point, though mechanics could be, then you do have upside , a guy who is huge, plays physically and bangs in 20 or so goals. A guy like that becomes more valuably at play-off time, like Bickell. We want somebody like Lucic, then I think this is the kind of guy you look at, though he doesn't seem to have that nasty level, yet anyway.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
I have a feeling that Justin Bailey reminds the Habs brass a lot of Max Pacioretty. I know I see it myself. Bailey is about 20 lbs lighter than Max was in his draft year, but his skating stride and style seem to be similar. I would be very surprised if we do not pick him this year.
He's very high on my list. Excellent physical abilities, just needs to put it together. I've heard a lot of people drawing comparisons to Getzlaf in his draft year. Quite a project but could turn out to be one of the better players in the draft.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:46 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One thing is sure...if we end up with McCoshen, McCarron, Bailey and Diaby...not sure it will make us a better team...but it's SURELY a statement. Smallest guy is 6'3'' 185 lbs in Bailey...
The odds of those guys helping us before the 2016-2017 season seem remote, by which time the underlying situation could be very different.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
McCarron isn't a guy I was really looking at but given the recent posts and apparently the Habs interest in him I have been reading up more on him. The concerns seem to be his offensive upside. I read one draft analysis that had him pretty low and had him as a 3rd liner potential because of below average stick handling and playmaking ability. He was described as having a powerful wrister but he was too slow in unleashing it and so telegraphing it. The positives are his size, good skating for his size seems to be agreed upon from several sources as does his ability to hit and go to the tough areas of the ice. Decent defensive game and a good PK. We want upside and I guess the question is how that would happen. He has the size and the willingness to use it. We have seen how valuable guys are that have size , play physical and are willing to charge the net and also stand in front of it. In my view a guy like that doesn't really need to be a very good stickhanler or playmaker, not his piece of the puzzle. If he can play a simple game, is able to make a simple pass to an open guy, take a pass and can carry the puck a bit but unable to stickhandle through people that's okay. The other key piece is having a good shot from in close, because he wont score much if he is only able to bang away at pucks. So if TT thinks this kids shot issue can be resolved, and I know teaching skill reaaly cant be done at this point, though mechanics could be, then you do have upside , a guy who is huge, plays physically and bangs in 20 or so goals. A guy like that becomes more valuably at play-off time, like Bickell. We want somebody like Lucic, then I think this is the kind of guy you look at, though he doesn't seem to have that nasty level, yet anyway.
You have more than 1 hour total of actual on-ice time for McCarron split in these 4 Full Game. It's also pretty recent, so it gives a good idea of where his game is right now...

1-USA vs Russia (Round Robin Game) - (April 18) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3P1cTm6KM

2-USA vs Finland (Round Robin Game) - (April 23) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJJmy1BUx9M

3- USA vs Russia (Semi-Finals) - (April 26) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xg8Bxhvrk

4- USA vs Canada (Finals) - (April 28) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnTcPUS7uU

Old
06-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The odds of those guys helping us before the 2016-2017 season seem remote, by which time the underlying situation could be very different.
I don't think that's the case. Players are normally ready sooner than they used to be, particularly high picks. At least two of those players would likely be regulars by 2015...

Even if they aren't ready before 2016-17...is there an issue with having too many large players? I don't think it's an issue if they can skate and are talented..... Bergy and co. want to build a team that will win in the playoffs.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:23 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
You have more than 1 hour total of actual on-ice time for McCarron split in these 4 Full Game. It's also pretty recent, so it gives a good idea of where his game is right now...

1-USA vs Russia (Round Robin Game) - (April 18) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3P1cTm6KM

2-USA vs Finland (Round Robin Game) - (April 23) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJJmy1BUx9M

3- USA vs Russia (Semi-Finals) - (April 26) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xg8Bxhvrk

4- USA vs Canada (Finals) - (April 28) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnTcPUS7uU
Thank you.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I know Petan is tremendously skilled and will be a steal when he's draft in the 2nd round, but I personally would be disappointed if we selected him at 34, or 36.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I know Petan is tremendously skilled and will be a steal when he's draft in the 2nd round, but I personally would be disappointed if we selected him at 34, or 36.
If he's drafted in the second, it's because most teams won't believe he'll be able to carry his game to the NHL level. He's probably not gonna be think of a steal if he's pick in the top 40.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
If he's drafted in the second, it's because most teams won't believe he'll be able to carry his game to the NHL level. He's probably not gonna be think of a steal if he's pick in the top 40.
Rocco Grimaldi was and at the time it seemed so.

Petan definitely has first round talent. I just hope they don't see him there and jump on it.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:04 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I will literally jump for joy if we get him in the second. As much as people want to get bigger, we lack high-end talent even more. Overpay for Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe etc. but don't pass up on elite talent and reach for size!

My dream would be Morin at #25 and Petan at #34.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
yianik

I have watched some video of McCaron, any body else think he is a bit slow in getting where he needs to get, and I don't mean physically getting there once he has decided to go, I mean just a bit slow realizing where he needs to go ? You know, hockey sense.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
I will literally jump for joy if we get him in the second. As much as people want to get bigger, we lack high-end talent even more. Overpay for Bickell, Clarkson, Clowe etc. but don't pass up on elite talent and reach for size!

My dream would be Morin at #25 and Petan at #34.
That would literally be the 'tall and short' of it. Unfortunately, such a result will, as you post, only occur in a dream. But your approach of drafting skill and using free agency to fill any requirement for size, screams of coherent logic.

Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 06-16-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old
06-16-2013, 10:56 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
That would literally be the 'tall and short' of it. Unfortunately, such a result will, as you post, only occur in a dream.
Weirder things have happened.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:57 AM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
You might wanna watch this game if you think he's slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdnTc...ature=youtu.be

On a side note, I don't know who it is, but at the beginning of the vid, you can hear a few swearings in french when they exchange the soccer ball
QuébecPride...I took my time to re-watch for the second time the Canada/US U-18 gold medal game.
These are my observations:

1. Laurent Dauphin...best overall offensive player on either team...
2. John Hayden...would be a good pick at numer 55...good size, good speed
3. Steven Santini...best defenceman in the game...solid pick at 32 or 36
4. Frederick Gauthier...solid at both ends of the ice, good on draws, better hands
than we give him credit for
5. Morin...good skater and passer, plays his position well, appeared limited offensively
6. Nick Baptiste...great skater; gritty...great pick at 55
7. Mike McCarron...played well, but not a first round pick...between 40 and 55;

Old
06-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Laboeuf

everyone wants to trade tomas plekanec, including myself. but you have to ask yourself, if you trade plekanec, replace him within the organization? the answer is no.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
everyone wants to trade tomas plekanec, including myself. but you have to ask yourself, if you trade plekanec, replace him within the organization? the answer is no.
That's why you don't trade Plekanec. When Galchenyuk will take over as the top centre of the team, people will start to like Plekanec more. He's a great player.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
You could also come up with a comparison to Subban (beyond the obvious one). All kinds of physical tools and the best case scenario of being possibly a special player if it all comes together. I'm all for picking Bailey at 34 or 36. It's a homerun swing and we have enough picks this year to go for it, IMO.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:05 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Weirder things have happened.
If we are depending on weird to occur, we are in trouble. That's akin to building your investment strategy on winning the lottery. Let's approach this draft with insight and target those players that will probably be available rather than expecting, or worse, hoping that the unexpected will unfold. It would be wonderful if the draft unfolds and both Morin and Petain will be available when we draft. Though such an event is highly, highly unlikely, even I, occasionally buy lottery tickets.

Closed Thread