HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What Bobrovsky Winning the Vezina Would Mean For The Flyers

Old
06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 here. We didn't know there was going to be compliance buyouts this offseason after the lockout. Also bob went to homer and asked if he couldn't get more opportunity that he would liked to be moved. I don't like homers moves sometimes, but this one I won't sit here and bash him for.

Also this is like an ex girlfriend. Instead of being so sour about "her" moving on and finding someone else, we should be happy for bob and Columbus.

Lets not forget Bryz won a vezina and look at him now.
I agree with you, but Bryz didn't win he was only nominated. Let's see how Bob does in a full season. Not saying he won't succeed but an 82 game season is a lot different than a 42 game season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Crap I forgot he was just nominated thank you haha

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:50 AM
MrHockey1982

I'm curious to see how well he plays against us next season we'll be in the same division. Boy that would suck if he just owns us...

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree with you, but Bryz didn't win he was only nominated. Let's see how Bob does in a full season. Not saying he won't succeed but an 82 game season is a lot different than a 42 game season.
Bob DID play as the starter in an 82 game season and at the tender age of 20 while speaking no English and as a rookie. He showed that he was raw but very talented. The Flyers were stupid and didn't want to wait for him to develop. They just HAD to "win now" so they signed Bryz and shipped Bob out.

I can't hate on homer for this though because most of the fans on here weren't willing to wait on bob either and most were more than happy to have Bryz over Bob (contracts aside).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Columbus also started playing better team defense the second half of the season. They were pretty awful to start the year. Just look at Steve Masons numbers when the Flyers actually started playing defense at the end. Bob was counted on to make 4-5 big saves a game and came through. He would have had to do a lot more here so there is no telling how he would do against the 3 breakaway, 4 two on ones, and the front of the net littered with opposing players. Better than Bryz IMO, but not award winning.
Flyers D was better at the end? I don't think so. Mason got tested pretty damned hard, which was what made his performance so remarkable. He simply played well. During that same stretch of "better D" he vastly outperformed Bryzgalov.

As for Bob, I watched a good amount of his play in Columbus. He would have been just fine here. Columbus spent a lot of time getting trapped in their own end. They gave up hard cross crease passes, they gave up odd man rushes. Bob stopped them far more often than Bryz did. When his team made a mistake Bob was there to fix it. When the Flyers made a mistake Bryz was there to let it in the net. He wasn't a product of a system, he was often carrying his team.

06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Flyers D was better at the end? I don't think so. Mason got tested pretty damned hard, which was what made his performance so remarkable. He simply played well. During that same stretch of "better D" he vastly outperformed Bryzgalov.

As for Bob, I watched a good amount of his play in Columbus. He would have been just fine here. Columbus spent a lot of time getting trapped in their own end. They gave up hard cross crease passes, they gave up odd man rushes. Bob stopped them far more often than Bryz did. When his team made a mistake Bob was there to fix it. When the Flyers made a mistake Bryz was there to let it in the net. He wasn't a product of a system, he was often carrying his team.

^^^this^^^ is what i saw aswell..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Bob played close to a full season when you factor in his KHL play. He had 52 games played this year, 2 short of his rookie season where he posted .915 and had a similar load of consistent starts. More importantly, he didn't show any signs of slowing down like he has in the past. He posted a .932 in both the KHL and NHL. I don't think that sort of consistency on two different teams is an accident.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:29 AM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
I expected Bob to become good in the long run, but I never expected him to be that great. I'm happy for him I guess. Most ppl agreed with the trade when it happened, that was just unexpected.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:24 PM
potsiev2

bobrovsky the youngest goalie since jim carey (22) to win the vezina... anyone remember jim carey???

potsiev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:37 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsiev2 View Post
bobrovsky the youngest goalie since jim carey (22) to win the vezina... anyone remember jim carey???
Are you suggesting BOB stop playing now while on top ?

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:09 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
This is crap. If you thought it was a good deal then, then you can not turn around and ***** about it less than a year later. You can be disappointed about it (as I am), but you can not chastise Holmgren for making the deal when you, yourself, endorsed it when it was made.

And you did endorse it.

I understand being upset with the way Bob was handled while here. I am too. However, you can't say **** about Holmgren now when you would have made the exact same deal last June if you were in his position.

EDIT: This is just another example of the anti-Holmgren crowd leeching onto him at any chance. When the deal was made, Flyers fans collectively loved the return while still recognizing the potential of Bob as a goaltender. Nothing wrong with that. But if you supported the deal then, please don't try to act like you knew all along that the Flyers were getting a crappy hand. If you condemned the deal then, great, you have every right to ***** about Holmgren now for being short-sighted, impatient, or whatever else you want to throw at him. But few on here were truly choked up to see Bob gone for the return we got, and it's quite funny to see people forget their own words 12 months later when it suits their opinions on Holmgren.
Perfect example of all the armchair quarterbacking that goes on here.

I remember countless threads about Bob getting hammered in his rookie season, how he was awful, beat up high, ect. Now that he "is something", everyone is out of the woods to throw stones.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:22 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsiev2 View Post
Jim Carey is actually a CEO of a medical based insurance company. When I worked in prime brokerage we had to deal with his company.

http://www.optimedsolutions.com/management.html

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Bob DID play as the starter in an 82 game season and at the tender age of 20 while speaking no English and as a rookie. He showed that he was raw but very talented. The Flyers were stupid and didn't want to wait for him to develop. They just HAD to "win now" so they signed Bryz and shipped Bob out.
Sure he did. I didn't say I think he is going to fail or anything like that, but I'm not ready to call him a perennial Vezina contender or anything based on a win in the shortened season. He also played pretty poorly in his second season, which granted was 9 games fewer than he played this year. Again, I am not saying he is going to flop, I just want to see if he can repeat them (or at least put up comparable numbers)

Quote:
Bob played close to a full season when you factor in his KHL play. He had 52 games played this year, 2 short of his rookie season where he posted .915 and had a similar load of consistent starts. More importantly, he didn't show any signs of slowing down like he has in the past. He posted a .932 in both the KHL and NHL. I don't think that sort of consistency on two different teams is an accident.
And that's fine. We'll see what happens next year. You are probably right. I'm just curious to see what he can do in a full year now. Good rookie season. Bad sophomore season. Great third season. We'll see how #4 goes.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Sure he did. I didn't say I think he is going to fail or anything like that, but I'm not ready to call him a perennial Vezina contender or anything based on a win in the shortened season. He also played pretty poorly in his second season, which granted was 9 games fewer than he played this year. Again, I am not saying he is going to flop, I just want to see if he can repeat them (or at least put up comparable numbers)

And that's fine. We'll see what happens next year. You are probably right. I'm just curious to see what he can do in a full year now. Good rookie season. Bad sophomore season. Great third season. We'll see how #4 goes.
I too am skeptical that he's got the experience and endurance to have Lundqvist-type consistency at this stage of his young career, but with his drive and work ethic I wouldn't be surprised in the least and I think it it's even unwise to assume he won't have a good season next year as well. Dudeman isn't a slacker.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Cool...another Flyer that has excelled elsewhere.

I always saw him as starter material. Never considered him a "fringe" starter. We just needed some patience but Snider and Bryz effed everything up!

Hopefully, this is a one off but I don't see it as such unless he gets some injury that limits his athleticism later in his career from which he can't recover which is possible...although I wish him the best..except against the Flyers. I really hope he doesn't continue to haunt us...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I wonder who else that excels Homer could give away...Giroux next?
Gets rid of Carter, Gagne and Richards and they take home the cup, gets rid of Bob and he wins the Vezina, wtf Homer make a good decision for once.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:08 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I wonder who else that excels Homer could give away...Giroux next?
Gets rid of Carter, Gagne and Richards and they take home the cup, gets rid of Bob and he wins the Vezina, wtf Homer make a good decision for once.
God help us if it's JvR, Lupul and the Leafs.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

A Tale of Two Goalies

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:37 PM
CharlieGirl

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

GGGGRRRRR..... blood pressure rising..

someone forward this thread/pic combo to Sniders office email..

Old
06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
ps. that .gif remains among my top 3 Flyers .gifs of all time..

Old
06-18-2013, 08:33 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:

I must admit that I was dismayed when they decided to trade Bob.
I wanted them to give Bob one more year to prove himself.
Bryzgalov did not look too good either that season.
I thought why are we keeping him (Bryz) when he was much higher
paid and played no better than Bob?
The only reason I could fathom was that no one was interested in
Bryz's contract, so we were stuck with him.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
DecadesofFutility

Since Bob has won now the Vezina trophy.
It suffices to say that management made a bad decision as usual.
How long can the GM avoid backlash for poor decisions?

I would list all of his poor decisions but, that would be a bit repetitive.
You all are probably tired of my crusade to run Holmer out of town.

So, like Nero I will just watch Holmer burn it to the ground.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Scotty Pucks
Jagr Peanut Butter

The whole situation stinks, obviously. Happy for Bob. But we'll find our goalie.

Scotty Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote