HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

is this fair value

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
is this fair value

saw this on another board (not HF)

aki Berg for Jason Smith - fair value?

Bryan MacCabe for Jason Smith - fair value?

Old
01-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Slats432

I wouldn't do Smith for Berg, but straight across for McCabe...yep, for sure. Depending on salary of course.

Edit: At $3.5 million, hard to say if we would be willing to take on that money.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:07 PM
momentai

LOL. Who thought of Berg?

No interest in him whatsoever. Here's a guy that was highly touted but can't seem to learn from his mistakes on the ice and hence his limited development. Pass.

McCabe is definitely something I'd go for.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
saw this on another board (not HF)

aki Berg for Jason Smith - fair value?

Bryan MacCabe for Jason Smith - fair value?
I agree with Slats. Berg is no where near, but McCabe would be nice, but like Slats said, depending what his salary's at.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:11 PM
t0mf00lery

How about Smith for Colaiacovo and Berg?

Old
01-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Mr Sakich

I saw these ideas on another board. My hockey knowledge isn't really that extensive but I thought Smith was an ok dman. Here are some of their comments on smith vs berg:

And the Leafs don't need Jason Smith. At best, he'd be the #5 defenseman on this team, but realisticly, he'd be #6. He's also not a great puck mover, so he'd be redundant on this team.

and

Smith would be our #4 at the very best, and both Berg and Pilar would give him a helluva fight for even that spot

and

What the Leafs need is a top 2 d-man, not another bottom pair player

on smith vs MacCabe

The two aren't even close. It's silly to suggest they're even comparable

at least being called silly is an upgrade over being called stupid.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
There has ben discussion over at another board about Oilers fans over-valuing players and I brought this up in paticular.

I understand Jason Smith is a very hard hitting defencemen who is reliable in his own end but this McCabe or Colaiacovo talk is just insane.

We can start of by saying it's insane because Jason Smith was basically thrown off of the Leafs team because Quinn hated him to put it blountly. Now let's talk about values, McCabe is a true #2 D-man and Colaiacovo has proven that he has all the tools to be a #1 guy in the future. Realistically Jason Smith is a great #4 because of his poor offensive abilities. Further more he's a soon to be UFA making 3.5 million this year which means his trade value obviously decreases. With all due respect you're all expecting far to much.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
There has ben discussion over at another board about Oilers fans over-valuing players and I brought this up in paticular.

I understand Jason Smith is a very hard hitting defencemen who is reliable in his own end but this McCabe or Colaiacovo talk is just insane.

We can start of by saying it's insane because Jason Smith was basically thrown off of the Leafs team because Quinn hated him to put it blountly. Now let's talk about values, McCabe is a true #2 D-man and Colaiacovo has proven that he has all the tools to be a #1 guy in the future. Realistically Jason Smith is a great #4 because of his poor offensive abilities. Further more he's a soon to be UFA making 3.5 million this year which means his trade value obviously decreases. With all due respect you're all expecting far to much.
????
Wow!
Smith, first off, is making $2,300,000, not $3,500,000....
McCabe is the one makeing $3,500,000 actually...
Smith also has the highest +/- of any Oiler at +14. Second closest defensman is Cross at +5. McCabe is +9 on a much better Leafs team.
Poor offensive ability? Allright, maybe he's not your typical powerplay guy, but he is still very reliable offensivilly. He's got 13 so far this year, and has hit 20 before in his career, and he's on pace to better that this year. He may not be worth Mccabe, but it is close.

Last edited by Jamie: 01-06-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 03:24 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage

dude, no offense but someone would have to be wearing some very heavy homer-colored glasses to even suggest Colaiacovo has the tools to be a #1 D guy in the future. Sure, hes a good prospect, but not Bouwmeester/Pitkanen/Eminger good.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Oi'll say!

I'd like to see how a guy can log #1 minutes against top lines, be a +14, and yet only be "realistically a #4 d-man". You are way out to lunch on this one savage. You may know your own team but you have no clue about the Oilers.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Mr Sakich

I didn't get ignorant or anything on that board because I realize we are all homers (except for oilfans, they hate everyone), but jeesh, they have some unusual views. The board is at fanhome and it is very interesting because it is nothing but a non-stop flame war between leaf fans and sen fans.

Every time I start thinking that one side is a little smarter than the other, they start these incredible flame wars where everyone is pulling out stat after stat but nobody cares what the other person is saying. It is like two deaf guys screaming at eachother.

Laraque 27 posts there every now and then and he is one of the better posters from any board. He is fanhome's version of Hillbilly Priest, doesn't say a lot but a truly great poster.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Mizral

Oiler fans, just like any other type of fan, are homers. I'm a Canuck homer. For instance, you can't tell me that Brendan Morrison doesn't kick immense amounts of ass. You just can't.

I, like others, get 'homeristic' about players. Mike York is a good example on the Oilers. Alexander Mogilny on the Leafs is another. I think every fan has a tendancy to do this.

Are Oiler fans here bigger 'homers' than anyone else? Heck no. Boston and Montreal fans are ten times worse in that respect! Are they bigger than some? Sure, but that probobly has more to do with being more 'hardcore' fans than most other cities have had. Outside of 'ol Jets fans, the Oilers probobly have the most hardcore fans in the league. Well, the Leafs could potentially argue that claim too.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Mizral

By the way, while McCabe is having a good year, I wouldn't move Smith for him straight up. This might sound a bit strange, especially to Leaf fans. But McCabe is so hot/cold, I wouldn't trust him to keep up his point-scoring in Edmonton. Furthermore, the Oilers are having enough trouble with giveaways between Cory Cross and Scott Ferguson. McCabe just isn't good enough defensivly to replace Smith adequatly.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Oiler fans, just like any other type of fan, are homers. I'm a Canuck homer. For instance, you can't tell me that Brendan Morrison doesn't kick immense amounts of ass. You just can't.

I, like others, get 'homeristic' about players. Mike York is a good example on the Oilers. Alexander Mogilny on the Leafs is another. I think every fan has a tendancy to do this.

Are Oiler fans here bigger 'homers' than anyone else? Heck no. Boston and Montreal fans are ten times worse in that respect! Are they bigger than some? Sure, but that probobly has more to do with being more 'hardcore' fans than most other cities have had. Outside of 'ol Jets fans, the Oilers probobly have the most hardcore fans in the league. Well, the Leafs could potentially argue that claim too.
Sure glad you're not homerphobic!!

Old
01-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Sure glad you're not homerphobic!!
Naw. My phobia deals with *ALL* greek poets, not just one.

Also, whenever I see a yellow guy with a donut, I curl up into the fetal position.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:37 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Naw. My phobia deals with *ALL* greek poets, not just one.

Also, whenever I see a yellow guy with a donut, I curl up into the fetal position.

Closed Thread