HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is Drinking those Energy Drinks bad for you?

Old
10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
sticknrink

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I switched from redbull to vitamin water energy formula.

www.vitaminwater.com
I swear one day I'm going to be rich making Water lite, 0 calories !

Why not eat a banana and drink water? You get the same thing. What the hell happened to eating healthy and getting enough sleep .

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 02:32 PM
ArchieIsGod

vitamin water and propel are all the same they have way to much sugar in them your better off taking a multivitamin and drinking good ole fashion water...or u could eat healthy instead of the vitamin

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 05:02 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Gal View Post
Not everyone can do this. There's no way I could go 3 hours without food and then play hockey. I tend towards problems with blood sugar so in addition to my regular meals and snacks I have a powerbar on the way to the rink and usually one right after playing. Of course, lots of water too, but in regards to food, that's what I do.
Nutriment would be a great alternative for you. Also, 2-3 tablespoons of honey, pinch of nutmeg and pinch of cinnimmon placed in the corner af a sandwich bag then chilled to harden can be a great pick up that wont trigger a glycemic reaction. Takes about 10 minutes to become available in the blood stream and lasts about 30-45 minutes. Dont know where you would locate it in Jersey though. Its much like a slim fast shake but it is a liquid lunch replacement and much more nutritious.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 05:37 PM
bfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
I had this 5 hour energy drink from 7-11 before last game. it gave me a decent amount of energy but after the game I actually wanted to sleep in the dressing room. I will stick to a red bull from now on I think.
I don't know if you have them in your 7/11, but we have a type called "Red Rain" and theyre 1.99 instead of the usual 2.99 on Red Bull. Not only does it taste better, but it works just as well too.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 01:54 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I agree with everything except the part in bold. Carb loading is a good idea, but only if it's 24 hours before the game. Your body needs that much time to break the food down into usable energy. Eat moderately on game day or your food will sit like a rock in your stomach and will probably drain your energy. Little or no food within 3 hours of your game -- only water or gatorade.

You're right about that, my mistake...in fact, for carb loading I actually heard you're supposed to start like 3-4 days in advance in order for it to do anything, but yeah, listen to EmptyNetter on this one, Im wrong about the carbs thing.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 01:58 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfire View Post
I don't know if you have them in your 7/11, but we have a type called "Red Rain" and theyre 1.99 instead of the usual 2.99 on Red Bull. Not only does it taste better, but it works just as well too.
I used to be all into energy drinks and protein bars, but after a few years of trying it, I have found that in reality, it's just hype. As everyone else is saying, just drink water, all of these others are quick fixes with some negative side effects...something I did, which worked at least as a placebo, was just brought a tiny bag of pretzels along (dad was the coach hahaha), and in case I felt I was low, I could just eat two or three real quick...I never actually ate them, but just having them there as an option seemed to work. I don't care what people say, but placebo's work b/c the mind thinks they're working.

Old
10-14-2006, 02:06 AM
mac-sniper

thanks man i wasnt sure what a placebo was...but now i know thanks doc.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 08:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You guys be careful. My older brother (was only 31 at the time) had a heart-attack while playing hockey. He loved the energy drinks, and had one just before the game.

Now they can't say for sure that's what caused it, the doctor did say they have seen an huge increase in cases of younger males having heartattacks during sports since the energy and ephedra drinks became popular.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Im in 2 adult leagues and I always drink one of the huge XXL Monster drinks before each game (which is 2x a week and playing defense with only 3 dmen most of the time means im on the ice A LOT).

Is there any bad effects from drinking so many of these drinks?

23.5 ounces of sugar and other fun stuff to keep me going during the game.
Yeah they cause long term health effects specially in younger people and people who drink more than one at a time

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I drank one when I had to play two games in one night. It made me shaky and I ended up throwing up.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 03:33 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
thanks man i wasnt sure what a placebo was...but now i know thanks doc.
Im guessing that's sarcasm...

I've heard of people fainting or getting really close to fainting from them...they just seem too risky to me...the Monster XXL or whatever doesn't look too enticing anyway haha.

Old
10-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Jacob

I drank a Red Bull before a game once and I was extremely jittery and couldn't focus on the puck at all. I was probably skating pretty well but I was playing like an idiot.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I drank a Red Bull before a game once and I was extremely jittery and couldn't focus on the puck at all. I was probably skating pretty well but I was playing like an idiot.
Yeah i use to drink redbull before games, made my heart go al il fast i was skating really fast but i think you try to do things to fast and dont focus enough on the puck and do other lil things

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Pat

some people experience negative effects from drinking Redbull or other energy drinks...some don't.
I drink one Redbull before a game and haven't felt any negative effects yet. I do drink lots of water during the game and never felt cramps. some people I know drink too much water during and have experienced cramps.
I guess it all comes down to what's best for you. experience different things until you come with what gives you the best result.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 09:53 AM
MikeD

on that note, do all that experimentation before a practice so you dont hit those negatives during game time. Same goes for trying new foods.

Old
10-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Tricolore#20

I used Red Bull ahead of a playoff ball hockey game, and played probably the most tired game of my life. I think the "down" effect of the drink took place far too early, and it ended up harming my performance. Prior to that, I would always drink a 0.5-1 llitre of water about an hour prior to the game, and it would get me up.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 06:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I mix 2 scoops of EAS Betagen (creatine) with about 1/4 bottle of Gatorade before and after I play ice hockey. It seems to really help with fatigue and recovery so far and it helps when I lift weights.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
MikeD

Creatine does not work that way. IF you were to have your creatine levels checked you are prob flirting with a reading 2-3000% over normal levels. Your heading for a disaster, taxing the hell out of your kidneys and liver.

Old
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Are you a doctor?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Grave77digger

this isnt the creatine thread

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:26 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Are you a doctor?
Creatine is bad news period. You don't have to be a doc to know about it.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 03:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Why are people drinking a Red Bull before the game?

Wouldn't energy drinks serve any possible benefit (if they have any) by consuming them during the second intermission?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
mooseOAK*

Saw sugar-free energy drinks in the store. First question that came up to me is that if they have no sugar then where is the energy coming from?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2006, 05:15 PM
MikeD

check the label. Taurine, caffeine, ephedrin etc etc etc. Just like CRANK, they dont provide energy so much as put your own body systems into over drive. Given teh short amount of time for intermissions that most teams get, the affect doesnt kick in. Yet another reason we have seen the kids drinking not just one but upwards of 4 pre-game with the idea it would provide that affect for a longer duration.

I have seen Coaches for opposing teams come to our rink with a couple cases of the stuff under his arm to feed to his team.

Last edited by MikeD: 10-16-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old
10-17-2006, 01:26 AM
the_nole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Check the nutritional info on the back those large sized energy drinks, they're technically 2 servings worth.

if anything, don't drink the whole can before the game, spread it out between warm-up & beginning of the 3rd.

I was always a fan of 1/2 water + 1/2 (or less) gatorade.

the_nole is offline   Reply With Quote