HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

stephen weiss

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
  #26
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,269
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
He's a #2 center who is good in all three zones and wins faceoffs (don't know about now since he had wrist surgery). It would allow Pavs and Z to play together all year or you could roll three scoring lines. He's the only FA I want besides Stalberg and I hope the Wings can land him.
He's small, doesn't win many battles, has gotten most of his big years being a number 1 by default since the team has no talent. On a skilled team like Detroit, he might do OK but i bet you anything he barely taps 50 points. I wouldnt pay a dime over 3 million for him. Never liked him and i personally think he's only a 2C on a poor depth team.

i'd rather not spend a dime this summer then sign weiss.

i would rather see quincey locked up for 4 years then see weiss. Just dont like the guy and think he's a very, very average player. Also, he's roughly a 52-53% FO guy. Nothing to write home about. It's slightly above average.

Howard35 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 11:07 AM
  #27
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Yes, please make this happen Kenny. Trade Emmerton + later round pick for his rights.

He's one of the better two way centers in the league, would be a great option for our 3rd line center/2nd line wing (with Z as line 2 center) or the 2nd center if the twins play on the same line.

Definite upgrade over Fil, who could go invisible on both ends of the ice at times. Weiss can be gotten for cheaper as well since he's coming off an injury plagued bad season.

1st Line Interloper is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
  #28
SaCkaveli20
Registered User
 
SaCkaveli20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Mostly because of 5'11.... and he sure as hell isn't datsyuk or zetterberg.
And David Clarkson is?

SaCkaveli20 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 12:47 PM
  #29
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
if it's a choice between filppula at 5mil and weiss at 4mil or more, then i'd take filppula every time.

Chris 84 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 01:40 PM
  #30
Zetterberg4Captain
Registered User
 
Zetterberg4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,579
vCash: 500
if its a choice between weiss at 4 million and filppula at 5 million i'll take weiss every single time

Zetterberg4Captain is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 01:41 PM
  #31
Heaton
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 17,196
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Weiss means more consistent offensive production, Filppula means more consistent defensive production. I'll take Weiss.

Heaton is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 01:44 PM
  #32
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 19,737
vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
if it's a choice between filppula at 5mil and weiss at 4mil or more, then i'd take filppula every time.
I disagree, and am sure that many here would too.

The q with Weiss is he still the same 55-60 point level player that he has been for the past 5 years? This year was brutal but that wrist hurt him bad. But maybe it was just natural regression. He is 30 yrs old after all.

5'11, if one is generous. Even if we assume that last season was an outlier how long can he maintain his play? Wings don't need him to score 55-60 points, or at least they really can't expect it as Weiss was given every opportunity to succeed as Florida's #1C. But at least 50 points with good D.

A lot comes down to term. Is he willing to take shorter term and/or less money to prove himself? Personally doubt it.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I'm def. interested, depending on money and term.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 02:12 PM
  #33
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 19,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
He's small, doesn't win many battles, has gotten most of his big years being a number 1 by default since the team has no talent. On a skilled team like Detroit, he might do OK but i bet you anything he barely taps 50 points. I wouldnt pay a dime over 3 million for him. Never liked him and i personally think he's only a 2C on a poor depth team.

i'd rather not spend a dime this summer then sign weiss.

i would rather see quincey locked up for 4 years then see weiss. Just dont like the guy and think he's a very, very average player. Also, he's roughly a 52-53% FO guy. Nothing to write home about. It's slightly above average.
All of that is pretty good.

On the faceoffs 53%, is actually pretty good, heck Datsyuk is at 55%, he is also the leading draw taker along with Goc for basically his whole time there. Plays in all three aspects of they game.

So he is a default #1, he also is forced to play the best checking matchup every night and #1 pairing. He will be fantastic in a second line role and we don't have to worry about him producing. He has done so with a collection of guys in Florida his whole career. I guess everyone has opinions but Weiss is a good hockey player and I think he will thrive and get more credit in the second line role.


Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 06-16-2013 at 02:48 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
  #34
djdan6215
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
weiss or filppula

i choose stephen weiss easily before filppula ...

WEISS:
30 years old
six consecutive season with 40 pts and more(48,42,61,60,42,57)
two of 60 pts
four season of 20 goals and more (20,28,21,20)

he is a leader two way center very good in the face offs...

FILPPULA:
29 years old
two season of 40 pts and more (40,66)
one of 60
only one season of 20 goals and more(23)

filppula only good when he's play with top players

sorry but my choice is weiss

djdan6215 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 02:54 PM
  #35
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
All of that is pretty good.

On the faceoffs and 53% is actually pretty good, heck Datsyuk is at 55%, he is also the leading draw taker along with Goc for basically his whole time there. Plays in all three aspects of they game.

So he is a default #1, he also is forced to play the best checking matchup every night and #1 pairing. He will be fantastic in a second line role and we don't have to worry about him producing. He has done so with a collection of guys in Florida his whole career. I guess everyone has opinions but Weiss is good hockey player and I think he will thrive and get more credit in the second line role.
I still love the idea of him centering the third line and us being able to find mismatch after mismatch while also throwing a Helm centered fourth line out there to run people into oblivion for 13 ES minutes a night.

also, we're probably going to need another center in a year or two. Even if Datsyuk re-signs, him and Z are getting older and will be less likely to carry a line by themselves. It wouldn't surprise me a bit a to see them paired in a way similar to how Fedorov and Yzerman were paired up for the last few years. In another season or two, if we can run z/d out on one line, Weiss centering the second line, and then maybe Jarnkrok centering the third line, that's pretty solid.

Getting Weiss is still probably a long shot, but there are so many positives to bringing in another top6 level center.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 02:55 PM
  #36
crashman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 714
I bet going forward, every rumor involving the Red Wings is also going to mention Dallas because of Nill.

I hate hockey rumors.

crashman is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
  #37
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I bet going forward, every rumor involving the Red Wings is also going to mention Dallas because of Nill.

I hate hockey rumors.
"Player A is available, the Red Wings are interested but I'm also hearing the Stars are in on him as well. (e4)"

1st Line Interloper is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 03:40 PM
  #38
Number1RedWingsFan52
Registered User
 
Number1RedWingsFan52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winter Haven Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Wouldn't mind...

Filppula's rights
for
Weiss's rights

Then we sign Weiss for 4 million and Florida signs Filppula for 5 million.

And we got the better player cheaper.
I seriously doubt we will get Weiss for $4m Try more like $4.5m-$5.0m.with at least a 4 year deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 04:19 PM
  #39
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Use that money to re-sign Filppula, he is younger and better player.

Weiss

Age: 30
Size: 5'11
Shoots; Left
12'-13' season: 1g, 3a, 4pts (-13)
11'-'12 season: 80 games played, 20g, 37a, 57pts (+5)

Filppula

Age: 29
Size: 6'0
Shoots; Left
12'-13' season: 9g, 8a, 17pts (-4)
11'-'12 season: 81 games played, 23g, 43a, 63pts (+18)

No contest, give Filppula $5 million if he wants it. If Weiss takes $3 million, I would consider it. But I'll take Flip for $5 million over Weiss @ anything over $3 million.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 04:21 PM
  #40
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 5,257
vCash: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Use that money to re-sign Filppula, he is younger and better player.

Weiss

Age: 30
Size: 5'11
Shoots; Left
12'-13' season: 1g, 3a, 4pts (-13)
11'-'12 season: 80 games played, 20g, 37a, 57pts (+5)

Filppula

Age: 29
Size: 6'0
Shoots; Left
12'-13' season: 9g, 8a, 17pts (-4)
11'-'12 season: 81 games played, 23g, 43a, 63pts (+18)

No contest, give Filppula $5 million if he wants it. If Weiss takes $3 million, I would consider it. But I'll take Flip for $5 million over Weiss @ anything over $3 million.
lol but this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by djdan6215 View Post
i choose stephen weiss easily before filppula ...

WEISS:
30 years old
six consecutive season with 40 pts and more(48,42,61,60,42,57)
two of 60 pts
four season of 20 goals and more (20,28,21,20)

he is a leader two way center very good in the face offs...

FILPPULA:
29 years old
two season of 40 pts and more (40,66)
one of 60
only one season of 20 goals and more(23)

filppula only good when he's play with top players

sorry but my choice is weiss

I love Filppula, but given the choice between the two, I'd rather take my chances on Weiss.

Cyborg Yzerman is online now  
Old
06-16-2013, 04:29 PM
  #41
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
lol but this.

I love Filppula, but given the choice between the two, I'd rather take my chances on Weiss.
I wouldn't, I'll take the younger player that has produced the significantly better points the past two years and also knows the DRWs system.

Weiss would be plan C in my book, only if he accepts less than $3 million per year on a short contract with a full trade clause. In fact, I wouldn't give Flip a trade clause either.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 04:32 PM
  #42
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,514
vCash: 500
Younger, but by 11 months. Not exactly a big factor.

Bench is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 04:52 PM
  #43
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Younger, but by 11 months. Not exactly a big factor.
Still a factor.

Would you rather a 31 year old Zetterberg or a 32 year old Zetterberg?

Would you rather a 34 year old Datsyuk, or would you rather a 33 year old Datsyuk?

If Weiss is a short contract then I guess it doesn't matter. Then again, Weiss's statistics have been underwhelming since his recent injury, that should also be taken into account.

HTT3* is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:02 PM
  #44
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Still a factor.

Would you rather a 31 year old Zetterberg or a 32 year old Zetterberg?

Would you rather a 34 year old Datsyuk, or would you rather a 33 year old Datsyuk?

If Weiss is a short contract then I guess it doesn't matter. Then again, Weiss's statistics have been underwhelming since his recent injury, that should also be taken into account.
and Filppula's statistics have been underwhelming every single year of his career other than one

give me Weiss any day over him,it's not even close as far as i'm concerned

ricky0034 is online now  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:08 PM
  #45
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
if its a choice between weiss at 4 million and filppula at 5 million i'll take weiss every single time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Weiss means more consistent offensive production, Filppula means more consistent defensive production. I'll take Weiss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
I disagree, and am sure that many here would too.

The q with Weiss is he still the same 55-60 point level player that he has been for the past 5 years? This year was brutal but that wrist hurt him bad. But maybe it was just natural regression. He is 30 yrs old after all.

5'11, if one is generous. Even if we assume that last season was an outlier how long can he maintain his play? Wings don't need him to score 55-60 points, or at least they really can't expect it as Weiss was given every opportunity to succeed as Florida's #1C. But at least 50 points with good D.

A lot comes down to term. Is he willing to take shorter term and/or less money to prove himself? Personally doubt it.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I'm def. interested, depending on money and term.
yes, i'm sure a lot of people have a different opinion to me, whilst some will share my opinion.

as has been pointed out, filppula has better defensive ability and i'm not sold on weiss's attacking ability. filppula has won a cup with us and even though weiss has never been in a position to do much, i'd take that experience and the cohesion of keeping players together over practically zero playoff experience and introducing a new guy into the fold. also, we complain about filppula's year this year (and rightly so) but weiss's was far worse. and yeah, he may have injury excuses, but as was said, he could be on the decline.

anyway, i won't be happy with either filppula at 5 or weiss at 4+ tbh, but if someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose, i'd go with flip.

Chris 84 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:12 PM
  #46
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 500
I find it hilarious that so many people in this thread would apparently rather have Filppula than Weiss even if Weiss was making less money

I mean....what?

ricky0034 is online now  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
  #47
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure we'll end up passing because we don't acquire the rights to players and the cost will also be too high. Let's just bring up Sheahan and let him develop into our 2nd line center. Then you have Andersson as your #3. Trade with the Preds to get Gaustad and we are set with three big, defensive centers who can get to the scoring areas of the ice. Weiss is nice but I don't see us winning a battle for his rights. Just my opinion.

Harnessed in Slums is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:16 PM
  #48
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
and Filppula's statistics have been underwhelming every single year of his career other than one

give me Weiss any day over him,it's not even close as far as i'm concerned
weiss has generally been a #1C
filppula has often been a 3rd liner and rarely if ever a top line PP guy. they've had different roles for their teams and filppula's numbers are going to suffer for that. last 2 years he has outperformed weiss though, statistically.

Chris 84 is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:17 PM
  #49
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Trade Andersson/Emmerton for his rights.
ummm hell no. Emmerton and someone else, like bert or sammy.

Detroit Sports is offline  
Old
06-16-2013, 05:21 PM
  #50
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 19,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I still love the idea of him centering the third line and us being able to find mismatch after mismatch while also throwing a Helm centered fourth line out there to run people into oblivion for 13 ES minutes a night.

also, we're probably going to need another center in a year or two. Even if Datsyuk re-signs, him and Z are getting older and will be less likely to carry a line by themselves. It wouldn't surprise me a bit a to see them paired in a way similar to how Fedorov and Yzerman were paired up for the last few years. In another season or two, if we can run z/d out on one line, Weiss centering the second line, and then maybe Jarnkrok centering the third line, that's pretty solid.

Getting Weiss is still probably a long shot, but there are so many positives to bringing in another top6 level center.
I think their is certainly the flexibility to do that especially in playoff series. But my opinion is if they sigh Weiss. They will experiment with Weiss centering the second with Franzen and see if they can get that going. As Datsyuk and Zetterberg age I think they will be placed back together. The problem is Filppula couldn't get the job done I would expect Weiss to given his history.

Like you said he creates options, he creates the ability for Babcock to throw wrinkles at the opponent. With Weiss, Jarnkrok, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, maybe even an Andersson or Sheahan depending on their development and Helm they can do a lot of fun stuff.

But for me Weiss is kind of what we always hoped Filppula would develop consistently into.

If he could get a big winger going in Franzen, like he has in the past with Horton and Booth, it could be a major thing. He is also a more willing shooter than Filppula, still pass first but not as pronounced, still putting over 2 shots on net on average a night. We will see, but I think he is an intriguing option and people would appreciate his game more when he played in Detroit. Got to see a lot of him when I lived in Florida for a stretch, he is a very sound two way player with a lot of good qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll end up passing because we don't acquire the rights to players and the cost will also be too high. Let's just bring up Sheahan and let him develop into our 2nd line center. Then you have Andersson as your #3. Trade with the Preds to get Gaustad and we are set with three big, defensive centers who can get to the scoring areas of the ice. Weiss is nice but I don't see us winning a battle for his rights. Just my opinion.
Gaustad's contract is brutal. 3.25 million for a fourth liner, that is an easy pass, ideally you would pay your entire fourth line maybe a little less than that or at that figure.

The Zetterberg Era is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.