HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
phillytennis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
McCarron isn't a guy I was really looking at but given the recent posts and apparently the Habs interest in him I have been reading up more on him. The concerns seem to be his offensive upside. I read one draft analysis that had him pretty low and had him as a 3rd liner potential because of below average stick handling and playmaking ability. He was described as having a powerful wrister but he was too slow in unleashing it and so telegraphing it. The positives are his size, good skating for his size seems to be agreed upon from several sources as does his ability to hit and go to the tough areas of the ice. Decent defensive game and a good PK. We want upside and I guess the question is how that would happen. He has the size and the willingness to use it. We have seen how valuable guys are that have size , play physical and are willing to charge the net and also stand in front of it. In my view a guy like that doesn't really need to be a very good stickhanler or playmaker, not his piece of the puzzle. If he can play a simple game, is able to make a simple pass to an open guy, take a pass and can carry the puck a bit but unable to stickhandle through people that's okay. The other key piece is having a good shot from in close, because he wont score much if he is only able to bang away at pucks. So if TT thinks this kids shot issue can be resolved, and I know teaching skill reaaly cant be done at this point, though mechanics could be, then you do have upside , a guy who is huge, plays physically and bangs in 20 or so goals. A guy like that becomes more valuably at play-off time, like Bickell. We want somebody like Lucic, then I think this is the kind of guy you look at, though he doesn't seem to have that nasty level, yet anyway.
Yianik...excellent analysis on possibly taking McCarron...let some other team take him way too early...he's big, alright skater...average at best...slow reaction time.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

If the Phoenix Coyotes are available maybe we should acquire them and put the Habs team up for a dispersal draft. That idea has a much better chance of improving the Habs then the guys you want us to take.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:48 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

If we want upside I'd rather Buchnevic.

A Rychel/Buchnevic combo would add significantly to our winger group in a few years. Two big goal scorers, one a sniper and the other a rugged power forward who can snipe as well.

Sandwich those two between a fallen D and were gold.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
If we want upside I'd rather Buchnevic.

A Rychel/Buchnevic combo would add significantly to our winger group in a few years. Two big goal scorers, one a sniper and the other a rugged power forward who can snipe as well.

Sandwich those two between a fallen D and were gold.
No way will they draft Buchnevich. Lack of drive and a threat to never come to NA. No thanks unless it's the 3rd round. Even then, I don't think Bergevin bites.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:26 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Yianik...excellent analysis on possibly taking McCarron...let some other team take him way too early...he's big, alright skater...average at best...slow reaction time.
The fact is if he was a great skater with a super-fast reaction time, superior stick-handling, and a lethal shot we'd be discussing who the 2nd overall pick will be, because McCarron would have the first all locked up.

We're picking 25th. If you want a guy with size and skill you're going to have to take a big guy who doesn't look as good and make a leap of faith that there is upside there that nobody else sees. Because anybody with obvious size AND skill will be gone long before we pick.

As it is I don't think we're going to have a shot at McCarron. I'd bet even money he goes top 20. Whether that turns out to be a mistake or not remains to be seen, but with the way the NHL is being played now teams are going to want somebody just like him.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
No way will they draft Buchnevich. Lack of drive and a threat to never come to NA. No thanks unless it's the 3rd round. Even then, I don't think Bergevin bites.
Buchnevic has all-star upside. Someone will take him in the top 60. There's even a chance he goes round 1.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Buchnevic has all-star upside. Someone will take him in the top 60. There's even a chance he goes round 1.
Well if the plan is offensive upside I think the Habs are much better off selecting Burakowsky. At least there's a transfer agreement with Sweden and he might decide to play in the CHL next season. Buchnevich has signed a 3 year contract in the KHL.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One thing is sure...if we end up with McCoshen, McCarron, Bailey and Diaby...not sure it will make us a better team...but it's SURELY a statement. Smallest guy is 6'3'' 185 lbs in Bailey...
It'll make us a better team in the playoffs.

However, it's not likely we need all of them, or that all of them will fall to us when we pick. Plus, there's always the faller who will challenge a team's best laid plans.

Last edited by Runner77: 06-16-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old
06-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
It'll make us a better team in the playoffs.

However, it's not likely we need all of them, or that all of them will fall to us when we pick. Plus, there's always the unpredictable faller who will challenge a team's best laid plans.
Somehow, and I'm surely wrong...I'm not that much of a Bailey fan. And as the year progressed, wasn't a Diaby fan either. So we will be a better team IF everybody become NHL'ers and IF they play the role we are expecting them to be playing.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
My wish list

25: - Mirco Mueller
- Valentin Zykov
- Samuel Morin

34: - Mike McCarron (OK at 25th)
- Emile Poirier
- Ian McCoshen (OK at 25th)

36: - Justin Bailey
- Jacob De la Rose
- Nic Petan

55: - John Hayden
- Laurent Dauphin
- William Carrier

If a guy like Ristolainen, Horvat or Domi falls at 20 +-, I'b be fine with 25th+55th to move up.
I think we need one of Hartman or Horvat this year. I'd be averse to drafting defensemen in the first round.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:29 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
That would literally be the 'tall and short' of it. Unfortunately, such a result will, as you post, only occur in a dream. But your approach of drafting skill and using free agency to fill any requirement for size, screams of coherent logic.
Haha! Thanks, well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
everyone wants to trade tomas plekanec, including myself. but you have to ask yourself, if you trade plekanec, replace him within the organization? the answer is no.
Go hard after Stastny. Offer them defence. Imagine a line of Pacioretty-Stastny-Gallagher!

Old
06-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Somehow, and I'm surely wrong...I'm not that much of a Bailey fan. And as the year progressed, wasn't a Diaby fan either. So we will be a better team IF everybody become NHL'ers and IF they play the role we are expecting them to be playing.
What makes you say this WS? I'm a big fan of his upside.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I think we need one of Hartman or Horvat this year. I'd be averse to drafting defensemen in the first round.
A Hartman-McCoshen start to the draft would be great.

I'd also love guys like Rychel, Compher and Zykov (should he fall) but it depends where everyone is when the Habs are set to take the podium.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
BK201

i think this would be a good draft

25: - Kerby Rychel
- Adam Erne

34: - Shea theodore

36: - Chris Bigras

55: - Justin Bailey

Old
06-16-2013, 01:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well if the plan is offensive upside I think the Habs are much better off selecting Burakowsky. At least there's a transfer agreement with Sweden and he might decide to play in the CHL next season. Buchnevich has signed a 3 year contract in the KHL.
No doubt Burakowsky > Buchnevich when considering the transfer agreement, but I'm assuming Burakowsky is long gone by the 2nd round.

I think if we are going with safe guys at 25 and 34, guys like Rychel and let's say Heatherington, then I'd love to swing for the fences at 36, and Buchnevich is a big homerun swing. He's a top talent:

In fact I'd say if he wasn't russian, he'd be a top 20 lock.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Looks like another father who's favourite team is the Montreal Canadiens: Madison Bowey's dad

Quote:
5. Kelowna always gets high marks for having some sweet jerseys, but aside from the Rockets' threads, who has the nicest uniform in the Dub?
"I love Portland's. I've always been a big fan of the Chicago Blackhawks and the Winterhawks are pretty similar in that regard. I love that uniform. If I could choose another one, it would be the Spokane Chiefs'. Montreal has always been my dad's favourite team and their jersey resembles the Canadiens'."
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...151845669.html

And not to forget that Hunter Shinkaruk is a Habs fan since he's young too.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:16 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Looks like another father who's favourite team is the Montreal Canadiens: Madison Bowey's dad

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...151845669.html

And not to forget that Hunter Shinkaruk is a Habs fan since he's young too.
I'd love Bowey at 34, but don't think he'll be there. Has great offensive gifts and a rugged attitude. Sure he's raw defensively, but that's why he has a chance to be available there. Not worth 25 though IMO.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
I'd love Bowey at 34, but don't think he'll be there. Has great offensive gifts and a rugged attitude. Sure he's raw defensively, but that's why he has a chance to be available there. Not worth 25 though IMO.
I'd definitely consider him at the 34th spot as well. I'd love to have Jordan Subban with our 55th pick as well. But I think the Leafs might take a run at him before we can in the 2nd round (After the 36th pick).

Old
06-16-2013, 01:34 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I'd definitely consider him at the 34th spot as well. I'd love to have Jordan Subban with our 55th pick as well. But I think the Leafs might take a run at him before we can in the 2nd round (After the 36th pick).
I'm kind of hoping Jordan ends up a Leaf. Having a Subban on each of the Habs, Bruins, and Leafs would just be too much fun.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:37 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
I'm kind of hoping Jordan ends up a Leaf. Having a Subban on each of the Habs, Bruins, and Leafs would just be too much fun.
if Jordan was not a Subban i would bet no one would want him, barely 5'9 defensemen (didn't grew since his ohl draft) i pass

Old
06-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHP View Post
if Jordan was not a Subban i would bet no one would want him, barely 5'9 defensemen (didn't grew since his ohl draft) i pass
Look at his familly.... The kid will grow. When your brothers and father are all big men theres a good chance you will be too. I bet he has one of those gift from god concerning his genetics.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Look at his familly.... The kid will grow. When your brothers and father are all big men theres a good chance you will be too. I bet he has one of those gift from god concerning his genetics.
Imagine if he was to grow 3 inches after the draft. Kinda like Evander Kane.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Quote:
Imagine if he was to grow 3 inches after the draft. Kinda like Evander Kane.
It's possible that with 2 more inches, Subban's a 1st round pick similar to Morissey. He wouldn't be the first kid to have a growth spurt after 18.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:56 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
I disagree. Bowey was part of that great group of defenceman on Team Canada's U18 Championship team. Aside from Morin, Bowey is the defenceman with the highest upside. This kid is a winner and plays with an elan that reminds me of Subban as a junior. He has a high compete level to go along with excellent athleticism. Once his hockey skills catch up to his athletic skills, he has a chance to be something special. If he's available at 25, I would have no hesitation in drafting him.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:04 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
It's possible that with 2 more inches, Subban's a 1st round pick similar to Morissey. He wouldn't be the first kid to have a growth spurt after 18.
what if Morrisey grew 2-3 inches ? and become 6"3 puck moving def... WHAT A PICK

Closed Thread