HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers name Alain Vigneault head coach - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Ail
Now we wait.

vCash: 500
Whatever, not on either side of the fence for this one. We'll see how it goes.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:37 PM
sirwilliam
Assume it's sarcasm

The only thing I didn't like about AV was his tendency to place someone permanently in the doghouse, which made young / new players too tentative. (I'm thinking of Ballard, but also Bitz and Kassian, Hodgson at times).

Overall, he coaches a puck possession game and will get the most out of your D... good news for Henrik.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:47 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
You're looking forward to a poorly played game? Great mindset!
Way to not understand the point.

Obviously the Rangers will play a bad game or two next year. I assume that that is clear to everyone.

What I am looking forward to is the over-reaction of fans that are ready to commit suicide if there is a bad period played.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Way to not understand the point.

Obviously the Rangers will play a bad game or two next year. I assume that that is clear to everyone.

What I am looking forward to is the over-reaction of fans that are ready to commit suicide if there is a bad period played.
Hmm. Odd thing to look forward to.

06-16-2013, 05:00 PM
chosen

Quote:
I admit that I enjoy watching people panic for no reason whatsoever and then explain that everyone must be fired after a bad game. It is one of the staples of these parts.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Bure 10

vCash: 160
How does it feel to get such overwhelming support from so many other fan basis?

Gotta admit, it must even intrigue the AV skeptics.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

Quote:
I admit that I enjoy watching people panic for no reason whatsoever and then explain that everyone must be fired after a bad game. It is one of the staples of these parts.
I know where you're coming from as someone who does enjoy watching people lose their **** in teh GDT when the team goes down 1-0.

What is your opinion on AV? You seem to be one of the more plugged in posters here, so I'm curious on your opinion of the move.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

At 1:40.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:58 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Was out and about this weekend so I'm just getting around to posting here again.

Out of the remaining candidates, AV was the best one for the job remaining. I never considered Tippett a serious contender for the job, as I firmly believed from the beginning he'd stay with the Coyotes.

That being said, AV is more of a player's coach than Torts, but strategically, I wouldn't expect a huge change tactically. You may see the D pinching up to take more risks, but the weak side wing will have to be ready to hustle back and cover him in case the pinching D is caught deep. For instance, I would never put Kreider and Del Zotto out there at the same time. Odd man rush city if that happens.

Could have done worse with the hire, for sure.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:05 PM
KreiMeARiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwilliam View Post
The only thing I didn't like about AV was his tendency to place someone permanently in the doghouse, which made young / new players too tentative. (I'm thinking of Ballard, but also Bitz and Kassian, Hodgson at times).

Overall, he coaches a puck possession game and will get the most out of your D... good news for Henrik.
Yeah, Kreider doesn't need any more time in anyone's Chateau Bow-Wow.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Championship*

I have no doubt that Rangers brass has indicated to AV what kind of style they want the team to play.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I have no doubt that Rangers brass has indicated to AV what kind of style they want the team to play.
Ultimately, it's the coach's discretion. I'm sure they would have voiced something to Torts if brass had a way of influencing the way the game is played.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Championship*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Ultimately, it's the coach's discretion. I'm sure they would have voiced something to Torts if brass had a way of influencing the way the game is played.
Who said they didn't? Torts was a stubborn SOB. It's one of the reasons he doesn't work here anymore. Increasing scoring is priority number 1, and they know it.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Who said they didn't? Torts was a stubborn SOB. It's one of the reasons he doesn't work here anymore. Increasing scoring is priority number 1, and they know it.
I'm sure they did but it's not really useful to anyone for the brass to say "do this, do that". The weak spots to a system are known. To "increase scoring" is not about making two adjustments, it's about the way the whole game is played so it's more of a challenge on a coach's coaching style, coaching plan and overall approach to the game. All brass can do is lay out the strengths and weaknesses and let AV maul over them and I'm sure that's a part of the interviewing questionnaire process and getting him to come up with fitting answers to the questions posed. Beyond that, they could emphasis a few things here and there but when it comes down to coaching from behind the bench, I don't think that will carry through much.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I'm sure they did but it's not really useful to anyone for the brass to say "do this, do that". The weak spots to a system are known. To "increase scoring" is not about making two adjustments, it's about the way the whole game is played so it's more of a challenge on a coach's coaching style, coaching plan and overall approach to the game. All brass can do is lay out the strengths and weaknesses and let AV maul over them and I'm sure that's a part of the interviewing questionnaire process and getting him to come up with fitting answers to the questions posed. Beyond that, they could emphasis a few things here and there but when it comes down to coaching from behind the bench, I don't think that will carry through much.
I agree. The brass could use a good mauling.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:51 PM
chosen

Quote:
I know where you're coming from as someone who does enjoy watching people lose their **** in teh GDT when the team goes down 1-0.

What is your opinion on AV? You seem to be one of the more plugged in posters here, so I'm curious on your opinion of the move.
I'm of the opinion that unless the coach is a bumbling fool like a Trottier, it doesn't much matter who the coach is and that we as fans don't have a clue who will do well as a coach, because in the end, personnel determines success.

The last time I expressed these sentiments in a thread, I received a PM from a particularly bright poster telling me to drop dead, among other sweet sentiments, so apparently I am wrong.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Crazed Beaver

I wonder what value av places on toughness because van isn't noted for it IMO. We have to infuse speed into our fourth line but they have to provide toughness as well. Our team was too soft as it was last yr and how we address this will have a huge impact on our season next yr.

New coach with multiple assets to trade makes for a very interesting offseason. If av has a feel for what we have (I think he does or at least will prior to draft) then there is no need to be cautious or hesitant to make changes. I'd be shocked if our d is left as is. Boyle being the best face off c won't be going anywhere.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that unless the coach is a bumbling fool like a Trottier, it doesn't much matter who the coach is and that we as fans don't have a clue who will do well as a coach, because in the end, personnel determines success.

The last time I expressed these sentiments in a thread, I received a PM from a particularly bright poster telling me to drop dead, among other sweet sentiments, so apparently I am wrong.
People actually PM that stuff? Wow!

I kind of agree with your sentiment. Personnel is definitely the most important thing. However, personnel is never successful with the wrong coach. Buuuut, any coach worth a damn is potentially the right coach.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Well that's ridiculous. A person shouldn't be given a job based on name value, it should be based on how qualified/capable they are for said job.

AV needs to pick his own assistants.
Oh, to be young again...

As long as AV gets this team out of the stone age I'm good. Pressure the puck, create in transition, you know, play hockey. That's all I ask.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:14 PM
ddawg1950

Just one more Canuck fan chipping in here to say that you guys have an excellent coach in AV.

I have been a Canuck fan since 1970 and IMO, he is the best coach we ever had. Certainly the best winning record.

Van underperformed for the second year in a row in the playoffs and the owner of the Canucks was apparently not as big a fan of the coach as many of us were. A change is needed for us and so the coach walks the plank raherthan trading 23 players.

But considering that Messier was a possibility, Saher made an excellent choice here.

Of course the latest rumor is that we get Torts.

Maybe we can meet in the SCF next year and get our hate on.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:

At 1:40.
"Bolland has a face that only a mother can look at"

CLASSIC! Hahahaha

Old
06-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Count me among those that find forever cliff dwelling Rangers fans a humorous distraction.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center

The Rangers havent officially "named" AV coach yet have they?

Old
06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not that I can tell. Nothing on the Rangers website.

06-16-2013, 08:59 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Contract details aren't finalized, so they can't. The Canucks still officially have him under contract.

Closed Thread