HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Ference - Named Captain of the Oil!

Old
06-17-2013, 05:56 AM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Look at all the times Ference isn't moving his feet and it deflects off of him or someone else, and in. He's the definition of a pylon, when there's pressure in our zone.

I love the guy, but he and Jagr are like Recchi in 2011. Let's be happy to have them, and sweep up their mistakes...

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:40 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid McGoiter View Post
Look at all the times Ference isn't moving his feet and it deflects off of him or someone else, and in. He's the definition of a pylon, when there's pressure in our zone.

I love the guy, but he and Jagr are like Recchi in 2011. Let's be happy to have them, and sweep up their mistakes...
This is so far from the truth it's almost scary

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Number8

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more.

I'm assuming by off Ference and in, you mean the 3rd goal by Chicago in Game 1?

That was pure luck (by the way, you have to work for luck and Chicago deserved what they got in that situation -- I'm not complaining). No way can you pin that goal on Ference, or Rask for that matter.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:56 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Were not watching the same Ference, the guy is the consummate warrior out there, his game reminds me so much of another undersized D-man who played with heart/hustle for years who`s still with this organization....Don Sweeney

Not just a coincidence but have a peek at this team`s record with Ference both in and out of the lineup and it may just change your mind. That goal the other night off his skate is/was hardly a bad play, he was clearly trying to be mindful of the Hawks players coming in from the right side of the net, making sure that player wouldn`t make it to the front of the net, total fluke.

On CBC, some toolbox (probably Healy) said Ference misplayed it which I disagreed with. Had he ignored the player approaching, and played the puck by trying to block it, and it landed on the stick of that player, THAT, would be misplaying it

Ference is very steady, and he`s a guy who NEVER hesitates to jump in to take care of business, he`s not an all star, but the guy is steady, far from a pilon

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:25 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Not to shabby tonight

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:43 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Couldn't disagree more.

I'm assuming by off Ference and in, you mean the 3rd goal by Chicago in Game 1?

That was pure luck (by the way, you have to work for luck and Chicago deserved what they got in that situation -- I'm not complaining). No way can you pin that goal on Ference, or Rask for that matter.
Oh you can pin that goal on him. When you check all the replays the guy has absolutely no idea where the F the puck is. If he was to check that Chicago player circle the board, he should have joined him. If you are to park in front of your own net, the puck is your #1 priority.

He made a few too many errors so far in this series to give him any credit.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:33 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Oh you can pin that goal on him. When you check all the replays the guy has absolutely no idea where the F the puck is. If he was to check that Chicago player circle the board, he should have joined him. If you are to park in front of your own net, the puck is your #1 priority.

Ference in the Cup Finals so far has been outstanding drawing lot of raves

Old
06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
the negotiator

A small, feisty, heady player who is a play-off warrior and if you look at tapes of big plays in big games ( see SC Final Vancouver or Chicago) shows up in the middle of the play more than Forrest Gump. AND, is a leader in the room.

is he perfect - of course not. Is he valuable to the team- absolutely.

My biggest complaint- I don't see how we fit him under the cap next year after we resign Tuukka and Horty; some team on the rise looking for a leader would be both wise and lucky to sign him.

the negotiator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Guys like Ferrence and Campbell are not the kind of guys that the Bruins would want to haphazardly discard. They're an integral part of the chemistry of this team.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:

"that goal."

Yeah, you might be able to pin that one on him.

Here's the thing....the last offenses this team has faced were two of the highest scoring offenses in the league. THE reasons PIT and CHI could score at will all season was because of their incredible offensive depth. We were all fretting before PIT what to do with defensive pairings against the two lines because Z & Hammer can't play 45 minutes a game....then look what happened to Pittsburgh's vaunted offense.

Second verse, same as the first with Chicago. Kane had a hat trick against LA to send them to the finals, and we all fretted "Kane! Hossa! Sharp! Toews!" What do we do with our defense?

I haven't seen much of Paddy Kane, same way we didnt see much of Geno. That second D pairing of Boychuk and, yes, Andy Ference has been every bit as good shutting down these high powered offenses as our first pairing.

Yeah, he's responsible for that one goal. One goal.

I'll take that every single day against those offenses.

While it doesnt win you style points, that's defensive play that wins you Championships.

The only reason not to take him back is financial. If he takes a discount to stay, you do it and send the contract off to the NHL offices before the ink dries.

06-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I keep Ferrence around for next year. The guy is like Paille in the sense you actually might get him at a discount. Those guys are at a premium when you have Kelly and Peverley eating your cap space. Heck, even Krug has a cap hit of 1.7 next year.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
DKH

Ference is gone but will always be a Bruins- kind of sad but there are young inexpensive and skilled players ready; if I am Edmonton I am all over this guy

Old
06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

vCash: 50
As much as Ference wants to stay here, you'll find a team stupid enough to pay him close to $4million a year.

Guys a true warrior and Bostonian.

06-18-2013, 01:46 PM
panny2727

i'm with the thread starter, ference and boychuck were imo before the playoffs replaceable. with campbell gone they have been the most notable energy guys out there and would do anything to keep the puck out of the net. is the high end skill there with these two? (NO). They do however cancel out other teams high end skill and make the bruins almost impossible to score against. whenever any of the top four D are out there, i Feel like the Bruins have 3 goalies on the ice.

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:59 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I keep Ferrence around for next year. The guy is like Paille in the sense you actually might get him at a discount. Those guys are at a premium when you have Kelly and Peverley eating your cap space. Heck, even Krug has a cap hit of 1.7 next year.
I don't see how they can sign him. Someone has to go and it may not just be one player that has to. Krug has a 1.7 hit with bonuses if he hits them. His cap hit is 900k I believe. With krug and Hamilton we can afford to let him walk IMO and have warsofsky as the 7th d man. It would be nice to keep the same team but we need to give the kids a chance as well

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I don't see how they can sign him. Someone has to go and it may not just be one player that has to. Krug has a 1.7 hit with bonuses if he hits them. His cap hit is 900k I believe. With krug and Hamilton we can afford to let him walk IMO and have warsofsky as the 7th d man. It would be nice to keep the same team but we need to give the kids a chance as well
Well I am in the move Boychuck camp, so then you will need him.

No way the Bruins can afford Seids and Boychuck after next season. Might as well move Johnny and get something for him.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:32 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Ference is a leader on this team. And he's a solid 5-6 D.. and I think out of everyone on this roster, he'd be willing to take a MASSIVE hometown discount to finish out his career in Boston. Thornton too.

Now.. whether that happens or not is still up in the air obviously. Hamilton and Krug will/should be playing full time next season. So someone will have to go. It's gonna be hard man. I love Boychuk, McQuaid and Ference but I see one of them as the odd man out.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Well I am in the move Boychuck camp, so then you will need him.

No way the Bruins can afford Seids and Boychuck after next season. Might as well move Johnny and get something for him.
Boychuk may be playing better than Andy right now though.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Boychuk may be playing better than Andy right now though.
Which makes his trade value greater....

...and in NO WAY am I saying this means I'd be fine with Boychuk leaving as part of a trade. I'd hate it. haaaaaaaaaaaaaate it. Again, I'm a card-carrying member of the Andy Ference fan club and I'd love to see him remain in Boston 'til he's done, but there's no mistaking that it'll be an interesting off-season for PC.

I'm not a capgeek em, geek, but I should sit down and futz sometime, because when it comes down to it, that's what's gonna matter.

What a great problem to have though. Think about it.

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:

Yes, everyone please stop giving our second pair defenseman any credit.

The guy is killin' us.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Ference is gone but will always be a Bruins- kind of sad but there are young inexpensive and skilled players ready; if I am Edmonton I am all over this guy
Exactly. He is worth 3 yrs/12 mil to a team like Edmonton without a doubt. He;ll get it. He can't really leave that big a deal on the table.

I don't know if we can even offer him 6 mil over 2 years.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:07 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I really don't want to see a Bruins defense next year that doesn't have Boychuk or Ference on it.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:17 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
I really don't want to see a Bruins defense next year that doesn't have Boychuk or Ference on it.
Boychuk is safe. He's going nowhere.

People might have differing opinions on him but he is a workhorse like Chara. The guy never misses time, even when he took a slapper to the face he was back in a couple games. He eats way too many minutes on the second line and has slowly been getting better in all facets of the game.

He will leave when his contract expires b/c like Ference I think a team will offer big bucks. Not going anywhere until then.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
nycpunk1

Ference only stays if Horton goes. I personally think Horton leaving is a done deal. There's just no way I can justify a match for market value based on how it fits into the rest of the team, especially with the injuries. If you're still hoping to keep Horton, I completely understand dropping AF. Q. Where do you get the other ~4 mil?

Even with Horton's salary gone, Rask, Khudobin, and Ference all need to take hometown discounts against market value for all 3 to stay. I think the carrot of 3 rings in 4 years is worth a lot. I'm not sure it's worth enough to everybody involved.

That said, I don't understand the "get rid of him!" attitude some Boston fans have. Are you the same people who slagged on Krejci for years, whether he had a bad year or led the playoffs? I honestly don't get it.

Andrew Ference is a proven team leader who is a solid #3/4 defenseman anywhere in the league. If Boston can sign him for between 2 and 2.25 for 3 years, why would you cut him loose? Is the goal to ruin 3 young prospects who could be your future defensive core? Because dropping 3 rookies (3!) into an 82-game season seems like a really good way to do that to me.

At 2.5, I think you have to shake Andy's hand and wish him a ton of success all the way up to the Western Conference Finals next year ...but at 2 million, can someone explain to me how you drop him when Rich Peverley makes 3.25?

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Important part of the team. Hope he signs before July first because teams will target Ference. I can see a team(not the Bruins) offer him 3m per.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote