HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
You don't have to take it personally...not every Saskatoon Blade will be a star. :-)

Fact is that Thrower underachieved last season..there are several flaws in his game that may or mat not be corrected. One of the issues is his size. He's able to get away with being a physical dman at the junior level, but in the pros his lack of size will hurt him. He can throw big hits and such, will likely always be able to do that, but in front of the net and in the corners, that lack of size becomes a problem.

Of bigger concern is his defensive play...poor reads and positioning, inconsistent effort, brain cramps, but there wasn't a development in his offensive game last year either. Skating is also a concern, in particular his pivoting and lateral agility. 6-0 dmen in the pros are usually pretty mobile.

I think Dietz is the better pro prospect at this time, and that Thrower will struggle to make the NHL. That's not the end of the world - there are only 7 spots available...not all of our drafted dmen will make it.
I remember posting after we selected Thrower something along the lines of.. "Thrower, I didn't really want him but a lot of people are here did.. hope he pans out."

Let's hope he turns it around but that same reservations I had about him are only enhanced after this season.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I remember posting after we selected Thrower something along the lines of.. "Thrower, I didn't really want him but a lot of people are here did.. hope he pans out."

Let's hope he turns it around but that same reservations I had about him are only enhanced after this season.
I guess he was a good gamble to take at that position.

As for Corban Knight, I'd bet we'd have a good chance to sign him if he indeed becomes a UFA, but I can't see why his rights will not get traded (or did he say he wants to become a UFA?). I have no idea what we should give up to get them.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Should I be excited about Corban Knight at all? I don't follow much NCAA and only really know him from his stats. He looked good when I watched Kristo IIRC.
You should be excited for the chance to pick up a possible NHL player down the road, one who brings a few things that we lack in our C pool, for the cost of only $.

Don't expect a star.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

As for Corban Knight, I'd bet we'd have a good chance to sign him if he indeed becomes a UFA, but I can't see why his rights will not get traded (or did he say he wants to become a UFA?). I have no idea what we should give up to get them.
Travis Moen for the rights of Corban Knight

Old
06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Oilers will probably get him, they're like a UFA prospect dream land, hopefully Kristo can convince him otherwise. Literally no one close to a big RH center with good faceoff/defensive ability in the organization + Dany Kristo chemistry/familiarity.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

I still have a good feeling about Thrower. I like the idea of having a guy who plays on the edge. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Ference.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Oilers will probably get him, they're like a UFA prospect dream land, hopefully Kristo can convince him otherwise. Literally no one close to a big RH center with good faceoff/defensive ability in the organization + Dany Kristo chemistry/familiarity.
Well yeah, for a guy like Schultz, it was THE team because he was able to make the NHL right away and be the top offensive D on the team.

For a player like Knight, not sure he'd automatically sign with Edmonton...

Old
06-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I still have a good feeling about Thrower. I like the idea of having a guy who plays on the edge. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Ference.
Ference is a pretty good comparable IMHO... but the difference is that Ference seems like a pretty clever guy in general, and was able to apply his edgy-despite-not-being-big style in conjunction with his on-ice intelligence to actually keep progressing in offense and eventually becoming useful defensively. Jury out on whether Thrower can eventually develop the same way or not, but I don't know if people are too optimistic about his hockey IQ heading into that process?

I don't feel like it's the popular choice here (?) but it's why I'd like to see him back in junior next year. Don't throw too much at him at once. He'll have a fresh start on a new team, and see if he can re-assert himself in the WHL ranks and take his offense back up to where it was, while working on his decision-making as well, but not all at the same time as suddenly facing the bigger/faster pro competition in the AHL/ECHL.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Well yeah, for a guy like Schultz, it was THE team because he was able to make the NHL right away and be the top offensive D on the team.

For a player like Knight, not sure he'd automatically sign with Edmonton...
Outside of RNH and Gagner, they have low center depth sadly. Once they buyout Horcoff, he might even be promised the #3 C role right off the bat.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 06-17-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 06:27 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?id=8533403

MB needs to be on this. We could also trade for him and try to sign him.

Righty center, good size, strong on faceoffs, could be fairly close to NHL action, centered one of our top prospects, etc.

Bulldogs need help down the middle big time...it's just a no-brainer to me.
This would be awesome. Knight is one of my favourite non-Hab prospects.

I don't think he'll be anything more than a third line centre who could step into the second if required, but he'll be one heck of a player in that role. Does so much well.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I guess he's comparable to a Jarret Stoll type of player?

Old
06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
It has to be his name..

Old
06-18-2013, 09:48 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Should I be excited about Corban Knight at all?
no, he's great on face-offs though for whoever he signs with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The talk I heard was the flames, as his dad works for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ference is a pretty good comparable IMHO... but the difference is that Ference seems like a pretty clever guy in general, and was able to apply his edgy-despite-not-being-big style in conjunction with his on-ice intelligence to actually keep progressing in offense and eventually becoming useful defensively. Jury out on whether Thrower can eventually develop the same way or not, but I don't know if people are too optimistic about his hockey IQ heading into that process?

I don't feel like it's the popular choice here (?) but it's why I'd like to see him back in junior next year. Don't throw too much at him at once. He'll have a fresh start on a new team, and see if he can re-assert himself in the WHL ranks and take his offense back up to where it was, while working on his decision-making as well, but not all at the same time as suddenly facing the bigger/faster pro competition in the AHL/ECHL.
I don't recall watching Ference in the dub so I can't compare them, but my problem with Thrower is his decision making with the puck in his own end as he seems to make a number of mental mistakes which is a red flag although not un-common for offensively minded defensemen. What I really like is the grit/physical game he brings along with the offense.

As for going back to the dub, actually I think most want him to, as I may be one of the few that does not like to see overagers in the CHL, would much rather see him in the ECHL against older players then playing against 16/19 year olds mostly. I'm glad the Habs never do this, although in the case of Thrower it is different since if he was born 12 days later he would be forced back to the WHL. But with 243 games in the dub already, I'd rather see what the Habs staff could do with him under their watch (maybe he picked up bad habbits in the dub, I really didn't start to follow him until this past season)

Quote:

It would be interesting to hear what Timmins has to say, since he picked him at 51st overall. But I'd say it was a good gamble, since as a 17 year old turning 18 mid-season, he 18 goals, 54 points and 103 pims which is some impressive numbers for sure. It's too bad he struggled to repeat those numbers, going to be very interesting to see how it goes for him next year.

As for Knight, he calls the shots as he can refuse to sign with any team and become a UFA on August 15th.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
It has to be his name..
That's partly true. I mean Thrower? Really? What an awesome name.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:41 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Corban Knight was traded to the Calgary Flames for the fourth round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:11 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
Corban Knight was traded to the Calgary Flames for the fourth round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft.
The Habs would have to give their 3rd to match and this year that pick may get a good pick for the future. If they use it to trade up 5 picks in the 2nd round.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
And signed a 2 year deal.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
ClasslessGuy

Anthony Brodeur will play with gatineau next year, any comments on him?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Anthony Brodeur will play with gatineau next year, any comments on him?
Can't be very good, nobody in the OHL claimed him.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Can't be very good, nobody in the OHL claimed him.
Like Giroux?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Like Giroux?
True, but Brodeur is 18 this year and the other goalie at Shattuck's is younger and did better.

Someone might take him with a 7th, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
True, but Brodeur is 18 this year and the other goalie at Shattuck's is younger and did better.

Someone might take him with a 7th, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Understand but I meant how good will he be with gatineau.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Like Giroux?
99% of the guys that pass OHL waivers don't get drafted by an NHL team so it's not a good comparison. Plus Brodeur's son would be a guy every scout in hockey knows about. Unless he improves by a lot the next few years he isn't going to be an NHLer.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

I got lazy and didn't read the entire thing, but you seemed just over the fence towards optimistic than pessimistic.

I just got off work and had nothing better to do.

If he goes back and plays with Vancouver and does poorly again, then it definitely worries me.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
99% of the guys that pass OHL waivers don't get drafted by an NHL team so it's not a good comparison. Plus Brodeur's son would be a guy every scout in hockey knows about. Unless he improves by a lot the next few years he isn't going to be an NHLer.
Yeah but, he has those "bloodlines" ...

Closed Thread