HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
Why is everyone so high up on Diaz. If he is in the Habs top 6 next year we are hurting! He is too small for playoff hockey. He was the absolute worse in the playoffs. His plus minus was bad and was the fault for a lot of the goals. turnovers and soft. He needs to go. We really going to keep him for a shot on the second pp unit? Time to give Emelin that role.

Diaz needs to go, Montreal needs to be tougher on the back end and it starts with moving him webber and buying out Kaberle.
He was great to start the season. He wasn't that good after his concussion though...but at that time, the whole team was pretty average. We need to keep him...at least another year to see what he can do. His value isn't high enough to trade him right now. He's a bargain right now...might as well roll with him for his last year of contract.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I can see our defense looking like this next year:

Gorges PK
Markov Tinordi (until Emelin gets back)
Bou Diaz
Drew
Sadly, I think this is inevitable based on who has already signed. Having said that, this looks like one of the easiest D corps to play against.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
Why is everyone so high up on Diaz. If he is in the Habs top 6 next year we are hurting! He is too small for playoff hockey. He was the absolute worse in the playoffs. His plus minus was bad and was the fault for a lot of the goals. turnovers and soft. He needs to go. We really going to keep him for a shot on the second pp unit? Time to give Emelin that role.

Diaz needs to go, Montreal needs to be tougher on the back end and it starts with moving him webber and buying out Kaberle.
I remember the "Trade Subban, we have Diaz!" posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He was great to start the season. He wasn't that good after his concussion though...but at that time, the whole team was pretty average. We need to keep him...at least another year to see what he can do. His value isn't high enough to trade him right now. He's a bargain right now...might as well roll with him for his last year of contract.
He was good on the PP. While people were caught up in his points, I remember pointing out that defensively he needed work. I also could not understand why he was on the PK ahead of guys like PK. He was on the ice for some key comeback goals that we lost games on. One game in particular was the 4-2 lead that we lost in the 3rd to the Sabres. Players would crash the net and Diaz would be nowhere to be seen. But but but, he looked so good on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Sadly, I think this is inevitable based on who has already signed. Having said that, this looks like one of the easiest D corps to play against.
As a player, who are you afraid to go into the corners with? Subban? Markov and Diaz don't hit. Neither does Kaberle. Gorges tries at times but he just falls. Bouillion does hit....but he's small. You build from the net out. Our D is a big work in progress.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:28 PM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

A Bouillon-Diaz pairing will pretty much guarantee lots of dark, sarcastic, self-hating humour from myself, Et Le But et al.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gorges himself would not even agree.

So...he brings NOTHING offensively. He can't clear the net, gets creamed along the boards. He can't bring a physical element to the game. He has a very weak shot. How in the hell is that a solid #3/4? Because he blocks shots? He plays a lot of minutes? We will continue to have a physically weak defense as long as he is considered a "solid" 3-4. The guy should be on the 3rd pairing and moved up to the 2nd pairing in a pinch along with some PK duty. His contract stinks.

100 percent correct

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Habaddict

While I agree that PK should have been playing more PK. He is
excellent at it. One of the quickest to challenge the puck, when the
opponents thought they were controlling it safely. And if there is a
battle for the puck, he wins so many of them.

But to the poster that wanted Diaz to do less PKing. You need to
watch more carefully when Diaz PKs. He is very good at it. Enough
to have an NHL career, even if his size made him a 6-7 type of guy
at 5 on 5. People get a kind of "tunnel vision" when a defense-man
is good on the PP where they miss how well they do defensive things.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
While I agree that PK should have been playing more PK. He is
excellent at it. One of the quickest to challenge the puck, when the
opponents thought they were controlling it safely. And if there is a
battle for the puck, he wins so many of them.

But to the poster that wanted Diaz to do less PKing. You need to
watch more carefully when Diaz PKs. He is very good at it. Enough
to have an NHL career, even if his size made him a 6-7 type of guy
at 5 on 5. People get a kind of "tunnel vision" when a defense-man
is good on the PP where they miss how well they do defensive things.
He should not have gotten more PK time than Subban. I watched him closely on the PK, while he did some things well, he was poor at others. Then you give him more time than PK? It made no sense. Seeing Diaz and Gorges out there together on the 1st waive made me sick.

We just have too many smallish/weak players. I don't think I've ever seen a softer back end. Drewiskie is a bigger guy but I didn't see much physicality from him...so realy, what direction are we headed in?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote