HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk | Part III | We'll always have Lester B. Pearson

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
j0e
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
OUR fourth line was often against teams' top lines? Are you serious?
Yes, I'm serious. Watch the games QT 3.14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I don't know why you mentioned Boston at all. Simply getting rid of Glass makes our fourth line better.
According to several people ******** about a fourth line player?

Old
06-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Waffle Fries

Rob Rossi @RobRossi_Trib
No talks yet between #pens and Letang camp. Likely within 7-10 days those start. Like, Malkin, he can agree to extension. #TribHKY

The draft is 2 weeks away. If Shero's plan was to trade Letang at the draft if they couldn't come to an agreement, would he only give himself a week to try?

Old
06-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
There is a lot of speculation that Dallas will target Jarome Iginla because of his friendship and business relationship with Stars owner Tom Gagliardi. Another popular pick is the Los Angeles Kings with the Darryl Sutter connection. Here's one more thought: Phoenix/Seattle with Shane Doan. They are close and that team, wherever it is, craves offence and its style is more conducive to Iginla's game than the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Elliotte Friedman, through number 14 of 30.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:33 PM
j0e
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
If you are looking for hits and fights, Big Mac says hello, and that he can hit and fight in the regular season for 1/2 of the cap hit. He also will win most of his fights.
MacIntyre is as good as of skater as I am.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
zoomzoom

If Briere gets bought out (most likely it will happen), I wonder if he would consider signing with the Pens? Can he play wing? (for Sid's line)?

Old
06-17-2013, 01:39 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Brandon Mashinter is an all-around better version of Tanner Glass. He is bigger and taller, his hits are more punishable and effective, he has better puck possession skills, and he has a better set of hands.

He has a small cap hit as well. I would love to see him on Pittsburgh.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
If Briere gets bought out (most likely it will happen), I wonder if he would consider signing with the Pens? Can he play wing? (for Sid's line)?
He can play wing, (and from what I've seen around here a lot of people disagree with me) but I don't want him near Sid's line.

His defense leaves a lot to be desired and he's pretty much the opposite of physical.

He has a lot of skill, but he's regressed a lot over the past couple years. I know everyone is obsessed with the idea of him being clutch in the playoffs, but I just don't think he'd be worth what he'll want to be paid (and will be paid).

Old
06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
MacIntyre is as good as of skater as I am.
You said you wanted a guy who hits and fights....Mac would do both, and since you don't care about when the hit occurs, you shouldn't care if he's a great skater.

I am not lobbying for Mac personally, but just indicating that he does both things YOU want, at a much better cap hit. Personally, I would only use him as a spot start for special circumstances.

Once again, we need someone who can maintain puck possession on the fourth line.....Think guys like Vitale, Adams, Sill, etc.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:04 PM
j0e
Rookie User

I never said that.

Yes, but to be a decent hitter, you have to be a pretty decent skater. I don't want MacIntyre and I never said I wanted Glass, I just think the hate towards him is odd.

The Penguins had a good fourth line with Rupp - Adams - Asham. They maintained pressure in the offensive zone, produced, played well together, but were awful in their own zone. You can argue why they weren't resigned, it was more than one thing.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Til the End of Time

seems a bit fruitless to debate saving a few 100k on various four liners when the big elephant in the room is fleury and his five million dollar contract.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Nfumass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
seems a bit fruitless to debate saving a few 100k on various four liners when the big elephant in the room is fleury and his five million dollar contract.
Be nice to see him moved at draft for 2nd or 3rd

Old
06-17-2013, 02:16 PM
j0e
Rookie User

If you don't care about defense, Ryan Jones - Joe Vitale - Tyler Kennedy.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I never said that.

Yes, but to be a decent hitter, you have to be a pretty decent skater. I don't want MacIntyre and I never said I wanted Glass, I just think the hate towards him is odd.
I don't hate Glass. But he's not good at hockey. He's not good at either offense or defense. He's not good at special teams. He does 1 thing and 1 thing only, hit to wear down. He doesn't cause turnovers with his hitting. He doesn't intimidate with his hitting. He just slowly wears guys down at the cost of any other semblance of contribution to the team.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
regard

Tyler Kennedy is not affordable for the 4th line.

Small potatoes or not but Glass makes what Vitale/Sill would I'd still rather move him.

Sill Jeffrey Vitale
Jeffrey Vitale Sill
Sill Vitale Adams
Would all work. It would be nice to have a 4th line that could stay in the offensive zone for a few shifts though.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:34 PM
j0e
Rookie User

He had a good stretch at the end.

I agree, Glass is overpaid and may not be the player we thought he'd be, but he's a minor problem. He's decent at what he's paid to do, and has one year left here.

If you want a cheaper option, Mike Brown. Not as good defensively, but responsible, no PK time, though. Offensively, is just as inept. Brown is twice the fighter Glass is, and is one of the better fighters in the league. He makes about half as much as Glass does.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:

I agree, Glass is overpaid and may not be the player we thought he'd be, but he's a minor problem. He's decent at what he's paid to do, and has one year left here.

If you want a cheaper option, Mike Brown. Not as good defensively, but responsible, no PK time, though. Offensively, is just as inept. Brown is twice the fighter Glass is, and is one of the better fighters in the league. He makes about half as much as Glass does.
Pittsburgh has their own version of Mike Brown, his name is Zach Sill. And, he can kill penalties.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Jeffrey, Vitale and Adams (assuming he comes back) are all better than Glass too. I know he's only overpaid by like half a mil, but every bit will help this year. Not to mention the fact that he WILL be played over Jeffrey despite being worse than him at hockey because Disco hates talent on the 4th line.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Waffle Fries

Colligan seems to be doing a detailed analysis of Letang's situation.

http://thehockeywriters.com/kris-let...ions-part-one/

This is part one. He discusses Letang as a player, how the new CBA will change negotiations, and whether we can afford to pay him whatever he wants.

He said part two will be posted later today and will project how he sees negotiations playing out.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
j0e
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Jeffrey, Vitale and Adams (assuming he comes back) are all better than Glass too. I know he's only overpaid by like half a mil, but every bit will help this year. Not to mention the fact that he WILL be played over Jeffrey despite being worse than him at hockey because Disco hates talent on the 4th line.
I don't think Jeffrey fits the fourth line.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I don't think Jeffrey fits the fourth line.
I don't get that idea. He brings some skill, he is good defensively, he can kill penalties, he can play the 2nd PP if needed. I don't care what line he's on, he's just a better hockey player than Glass. He hits less. That's it.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:02 PM
j0e
Rookie User

He is, but I don't think he's what that fourth line needs. I think a fourth line should be on the faster side. I think Jeffrey would fair better in a different system, like Phoenix.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't get that idea. He brings some skill, he is good defensively, he can kill penalties, he can play the 2nd PP if needed. I don't care what line he's on, he's just a better hockey player than Glass.
My opinion on Jeffrey is that he is a good hockey player, but deserves better linemates and more minutes than what he would get on a fourth line here.

He's not the ideal fourth liner, but he'd be a good 3C for another team. For the sake of his career, I hope he gets the chance to play somewhere else where he'd be used in a situation that would give him more success.

I want our fourth line to be annoying for other teams to play against next year. Unlike this year, where it was just annoying for us to watch

Old
06-17-2013, 03:08 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
My opinion on Jeffrey is that he is a good hockey player, but deserves better linemates and more minutes than what he would get on a fourth line here.

He's not the ideal fourth liner, but he'd be a good 3C for another team. For the sake of his career, I hope he gets the chance to play somewhere else where he'd be used in a situation that would give him more success.

I want our fourth line to be annoying for other teams to play against next year. Unlike this year, where it was just annoying for us to watch
Exactly. Dustin Jeffrey is a solid two-way forward centre, but he does not provide enough grit to play on the fourth line. He is not too comfortable playing on wing, he prefers playing as a centre.

He was unnoticeable on the fourth line for a few games last season.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:10 PM
WVP

So, thoughts on assembling a Stanley Cup caliber 3rd line if Cooke goes, and Bennett and Dupuis are in the top 6?

Old
06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
He is, but I don't think he's what that fourth line needs. I think a fourth line should be on the faster side. I think Jeffrey would fair better in a different system, like Phoenix.
Jeffrey is faster than Glass. He's not an ideal 4th liner. I'm not saying he is. But he's better than Glass. Most are.

Closed Thread