HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 02:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Talbot's initial contract violated the NHL contract structure because his last season's salary was less than 50% of the previous year's salary. Upon adjusting it, it was agreed to reduce the salary in the 4th year I believe to allow that the final year was no longer in violation.

Edit: Here's a better explanation of the issue

http://thehockeyguys.net/how-did-the...bots-contract/

They fixed it how the above article suggests.
Oh ok, I remember when it happened but I never really heard anyone complain about it so I kind of just forgot about it.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:04 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If only his CBA/Cap gaffes were limited to seventh round, fringe players.
Like I said, there are legitimate gripes about Holmgren. The Hyka "ordeal" is not one of them. It wasn't even a gaffe unless you truly expect them to scour the CBA while they are at the draft table on the clock in the seventh round. It's likely (at least in my opinion), the guys at the table said, "Mathers or Hyka?" and they decided, "Okay, we like them both, let's take Mathers now and we'll try to swipe Hyka after the draft if we can". They couldn't. Oh well.

Quote:
The Pronger one is a big one. The fact that more easily avoidable mistakes continued after that is a big red flag. Someone is off the ball, which means there is a higher-than-acceptable chance of another major screw up happening...especially since there have been some changes this year. It's flat out unacceptable. Hyka himself isn't the problem. He isn't the main issue. Just, forget about him and his potential here. The core issue is that someone screwed something up, again. Holmgren didn't get it, the people paid to advise him on this stuff didn't get it...and I don't remember seeing any sort of turnover to get someone more knowledgeable brought in.
The Pronger one is the biggest one. And, I agree, it is a red flag issue. However, it has not inhibited the organization's ability to function according to its plans.

I get what you're saying. There has been a recurring issue with minute CBA details. I'm not going to deny that, but you also need to put these issues into perspective and assess whether they are serious concerns. Have they impeded our ability to proceed as planned? I don't think so. We still spend to the cap, and we still make deals to improve the team (ie, Streit) even with Pronger's contract still in the fold.

I don't think the CBA misunderstandings are really significant in the grand scheme of things. The more concerning matters to me are Holmgren/Snider's (lack of) patience and the inability to make a plan and stick to it. Harping on these CBA "issues" is just another tool used by the anti-Holmgren crowd to throw darts at him. All I am saying is that we should stick to the issues that really affect the team. The Hyka non-selection and Talbot's contract are extremely minor. Pronger's contract was and still is an issue, so I'm okay with using that one even if it hasn't been a major problem for us.

Quote:
That's why I use "forgot" in quotes. Either they actually forgot about him, or they mucked up the rules and couldn't sign him, then said "oh who? Oops, forgot about him. Carry on, nothing to see."

Either way, something didn't go right. Something a clear understanding of the rules could have probably avoided. That curdles my beef.
Like I said, do you expect them to scour the CBA at the draft table while they're on the clock? I certainly don't think anybody has every single stipulation in the CBA committed to memory, so it's much more likely that they tried to walk away from the draft saying, "Okay, we might be able to land Hyka outside the draft, so for now, let's go with Mathers". I think it's a creative idea even if it didn't end up working. Nothing to really criticize them for.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Like I said, there are legitimate gripes about Holmgren. The Hyka "ordeal" is not one of them. It wasn't even a gaffe unless you truly expect them to scour the CBA while they are at the draft table on the clock in the seventh round. It's likely (at least in my opinion), the guys at the table said, "Mathers or Hyka?" and they decided, "Okay, we like them both, let's take Mathers now and we'll try to swipe Hyka after the draft if we can". They couldn't. Oh well.

The Pronger one is the biggest one. And, I agree, it is a red flag issue. However, it has not inhibited the organization's ability to function according to its plans.

I get what you're saying. There has been a recurring issue with minute CBA details. I'm not going to deny that, but you also need to put these issues into perspective and assess whether they are serious concerns. Have they impeded our ability to proceed as planned? I don't think so. We still spend to the cap, and we still make deals to improve the team (ie, Streit) even with Pronger's contract still in the fold.

I don't think the CBA misunderstandings are really significant in the grand scheme of things. The more concerning matters to me are Holmgren/Snider's (lack of) patience and the inability to make a plan and stick to it. Harping on these CBA "issues" is just another tool used by the anti-Holmgren crowd to throw darts at him. All I am saying is that we should stick to the issues that really affect the team. The Hyka non-selection and Talbot's contract are extremely minor. Pronger's contract was and still is an issue, so I'm okay with using that one even if it hasn't been a major problem for us.

Like I said, do you expect them to scour the CBA at the draft table while they're on the clock? I certainly don't think anybody has every single stipulation in the CBA committed to memory, so it's much more likely that they tried to walk away from the draft saying, "Okay, we might be able to land Hyka outside the draft, so for now, let's go with Mathers". I think it's a creative idea even if it didn't end up working. Nothing to really criticize them for.
I mean, they had plenty of time before the draft to brush up on the rule, assuming they were hoping to sign him anyways. It just seems like they misplayed it.

How many times does this have to happen before someone is held accountable?

06-17-2013, 03:17 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I mean, they had plenty of time before the draft to brush up on the rule, assuming they were hoping to sign him anyways. It just seems like they misplayed it.
I doubt Hyka's name was a major topic of discussion before the draft...

I don't think they were hoping to sign him before the draft; that's my point. I think as their pick was approaching, someone pitched the idea of, "Hey, maybe we can sign him after the draft, then we would get both our guys".

Quote:
How many times does this have to happen before someone is held accountable?
Just so we're on the same page, how many times has something like this happened? Pronger, Talbot, and maybe Hyka. Am I forgetting any?

Of those, only one has been an issue that has had any kind of marginal impact on the way we do business. And even then, it hasn't been a major hindrance.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I doubt Hyka's name was a major topic of discussion before the draft...

I don't think they were hoping to sign him before the draft; that's my point. I think as their pick was approaching, someone pitched the idea of, "Hey, maybe we can sign him after the draft, then we would get both our guys".

Just so we're on the same page, how many times has something like this happened? Pronger, Talbot, and maybe Hyka. Am I forgetting any?

Of those, only one has been an issue that has had any kind of marginal impact on the way we do business. And even then, it hasn't been a major hindrance.
Let's say the Hyka thing was a last minute decision without time to look up the rule.

That leaves two instances where they had all the time in the world to understand what's up and failed at it. I think that's pretty damned troubling. The whole "GM" thing is cutthroat enough, and with a salary cap the margin for error isn't large for a team like Philly. That sort of sloppiness isn't acceptable, IMO.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

@DarrenDreger 4:54 PM
Streit and Flyers agree on 4 year contract.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well then... I hope it means it's cheaper if it's 4 years.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Whoa, 4 years? Slow down now.

He better be cheap.

Old
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Not sure how feel atm

Old
jfont

Awards:
Streit signed for a 4 year deal

per McKenzie

06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
healthyscratch

Dustin Leed ‏@D_LEED 2m

It’s going to be 4 years, $22- million.

(I think that's his guess)

Old
06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

5.5M? ****ing really?

Old
06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
5.5M? ****ing really?
I'd rather pay him that than pay Carle that.

06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Oh I know that, but at his age and length... ewww... I will say one thing about Carle, he never was hit with injuries.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

If it's 5.5 million for 4 years I'm going to see how much Drano my stomach can hold.

Old
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

4 year Contract with a 35+ Contract... Seriously.... It better be no more than 3 mill per year.

Old
MP92
Catching flies

You gotta remember though, yes he is 35, but he doesn't have the wear and tear of a 35 year old.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd rather pay him that than pay Carle that.
Carle would be safer, though. $5.5M per is too much for Streit's situation. $4.5M per and I'm happy.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

“@DNFlyers: Flyers have agreed to terms w/ Streit, per @DarrenDreger. Don't think they can sign him now because they'd exceed cap by more than 10%.”

Don't think we'll get a number for a little while, maybe a day or two before a buyout.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
healthyscratch

You guys are/were expecting less than 5m per?

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
You gotta remember though, yes he is 35, but he doesn't have the wear and tear of a 35 year old.
Yeah, but the problem with 35 year olds is it doesn't take as much from here on out to bang them up and recovery generally isn't as smooth.

Old
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Carle would be safer, though. $5.5M per is too much for Streit's situation. $4.5M per and I'm happy.
I suppose you're right, I just like Streit a whole lot more. The 35+ is scary, however I don't really see Streit retiring. Pronger's injury was a freak accident.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
“@DNFlyers: Flyers have agreed to terms w/ Streit, per @DarrenDreger. Don't think they can sign him now because they'd exceed cap by more than 10%.”

Don't think we'll get a number for a little while, maybe a day or two before a buyout.
Looks like we're already 2.55 mil over the cap...assuming the 10% is based on 64.3 million that still leaves room for a ~4mil contract, which seems unlikely because that ~ is on the - side of the 4; so it would go over by default. If it's still based on 70mil things get a little more nerve racking.

I guess I'll run to the Drano store to stock up, just in case.

Old
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Talk to Islanders fans, they'll tell you he's already starting to slow down.

Old
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Quote:
Looks like we're already 2.55 mil over the cap...assuming the 10% is based on 64.3 million that still leaves room for a 4mil contract. If it's still based on 70mil things get a little more nerve racking.

I guess I'll run to the Drano store to stock up, just in case.
Sharing is caring Beef. Send some my way.

Closed Thread