HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk | Part III | We'll always have Lester B. Pearson

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
So, thoughts on assembling a Stanley Cup caliber 3rd line if Cooke goes, and Bennett and Dupuis are in the top 6?
Doesn't matter what kind of third line we have, if Dupuis is in the top six we won't have a Stanley Cup caliber 1st line.

Anyways we have Jokinen and Sutter signed for next year. Jokinen can play either wing, and I like the LW market for third liners better than the RW.

I said in a previous post that I would like to sign one of Cooke, Stalberg or Torres for $2m-$2.5m.

Cooke/Stalberg/Torres-Sutter-Jokinen would make for a good third line, I believe.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:20 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Jeffrey is faster than Glass. He's not an ideal 4th liner. I'm not saying he is. But he's better than Glass. Most are.
No. I have to disagree.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
If you don't care about defense, Ryan Jones - Joe Vitale - Tyler Kennedy.
Kennedy is getting 2mil......not what we need on a fourth line. I like Vitale. He's fast, wins face offs, finishes checks, strong board play, and he scores a reasonable amount of goals. I am even fine with Adams. He usually plays smart, blocks shots, hits, good defensively, PK, and can score. These two are WAY better than Glass, and I would want another player who brings similar skills to be on that line with them.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
j0e
Rookie User

If Kennedy took a slight paycut, I wouldn't mind him on the fourth line.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Colligan seems to be doing a detailed analysis of Letang's situation.

http://thehockeywriters.com/kris-let...ions-part-one/

This is part one. He discusses Letang as a player, how the new CBA will change negotiations, and whether we can afford to pay him whatever he wants.

He said part two will be posted later today and will project how he sees negotiations playing out.
that is a very nice, objective read on the situation. he accurately points out the pros and cons to letangs game. i think i agree with everything in that article, 100%.

will be interested to hear his opinion on whether the penguins should sign him or not.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
No. I have to disagree.
Either way, neither has any business being on a line that is meant to be "speedy."

Old
06-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Thinking we need a big guy with Crosby to cycle the puck. Chris Stewart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
yes sir.
Cue the "Letang for Shattenkirk and Stewart" rumors.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I rarely agree with the "physicality" crowd on this board, but I can't even begin to understand the calls for Glass on the 4th line. He's the worst kind of physical. His hits have absolutely effect on the play. His hits are equivalent to Kennedy's shots. Counting stats don't tell the story.

There are definitely people I would pay $1MM+ to play on the 4th line. The Penguins are hurting themselves if they continue to do so with Glass.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
that is a very nice, objective read on the situation. he accurately points out the pros and cons to letangs game. i think i agree with everything in that article, 100%.

will be interested to hear his opinion on whether the penguins should sign him or not.
Interesting, but I think this overstates Letang's impact on the recent events:

"Sure, the points were still there (he still leads all defensemen with 16), but Letang is also a big reason the Penguins are sitting at home this week while the Boston Bruins play for the Stanley Cup.

Letang was on the ice for 7 of the 12 goals the Bruins scored in the Eastern Conference Finals and was directly responsible for a number of them:"

The Pens' record over the past few years when Letang is out of the lineup is not great, and, IIRC, not as good as it is when 87 and 71 have been out of the lineup. I think he's capable of reducing the bonehead plays, especially in another, less offense-friendly system, and that's why I think the Pens will get substantial offers for him. But I think the Pens will do everything in their power to sign him.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post

it's funny he brought up that Otawa game where this forum said how awful he was, but he ended up with 4 helpers and PGH media praised him for four point game...

Old
06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
If Kennedy took a slight paycut, I wouldn't mind him on the fourth line.
If by slight, you mean 50-60%, then yes, I agree.

Problem is, when he's not tendered (and he shouldn't be, at $2m), so other team probably offers him $1m or so, and every chance to play in the top 9.

If he stays here, it's for less $, and without a defined spot.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Colligan seems to be doing a detailed analysis of Letang's situation.

http://thehockeywriters.com/kris-let...ions-part-one/

This is part one. He discusses Letang as a player, how the new CBA will change negotiations, and whether we can afford to pay him whatever he wants.

He said part two will be posted later today and will project how he sees negotiations playing out.
Nice article. Thanks for posting that.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
j0e
Rookie User

I don't think $1.5M - $1.750M is out of the question.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

rather spend 1.5-1.75M on Boyd Gordon than TK.

Adams-Gordon-Vitale. given the way that DB trots out the fourth line at all times, at least this unit can be counted on to win faceoffs.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
Interesting, but I think this overstates Letang's impact on the recent events:

"Sure, the points were still there (he still leads all defensemen with 16), but Letang is also a big reason the Penguins are sitting at home this week while the Boston Bruins play for the Stanley Cup.

Letang was on the ice for 7 of the 12 goals the Bruins scored in the Eastern Conference Finals and was directly responsible for a number of them:"

The Pens' record over the past few years when Letang is out of the lineup is not great, and, IIRC, not as good as it is when 87 and 71 have been out of the lineup. I think he's capable of reducing the bonehead plays, especially in another, less offense-friendly system, and that's why I think the Pens will get substantial offers for him. But I think the Pens will do everything in their power to sign him.
Yepp. The team looks absolutely horrible when Letang isn't playing. If we let him go, it will definitely hurt us.

He is so gifted offensively, his athletic ability exceeds most, if not all, other defensemen, and if he ever puts everything together in terms of decision making, he could be one of the most valuable players at any position in the league.

I would absolutely hate if he turned into that with another team and we could have kept him at a moderately reasonable price tag.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:35 PM
j0e
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
rather spend 1.5-1.75M on Boyd Gordon than TK.

Adams-Gordon-Vitale. given the way that DB trots out the fourth line at all times, at least this unit can be counted on to win faceoffs.
I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
it's funny he brought up that Otawa game where this forum said how awful he was, but he ended up with 4 helpers and PGH media praised him for four point game...
he had a bad first period in that game. he then had a really good 2nd and 3rd.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Fire Shero*

Well I was out of the country for 2 weeks. I went to game 2 and left the next day. I was pretty bummed to see the Pens swept, although I did not see any of the highlights after game 2.

I guess since Disco hasnt been fired yet that means he gets to mismanage this team again next season? I am so disappointed, they had an all star team. Now it seems like none of Shero's great acquisitions will even resign, not that I would want any of them back except maybe Iggy but at a hefty discount. I almost wished the Isles had beaten them to cause a major shakeup.

It seems that we will have a worse team next year, although the 2009 team was worse than the 2008 team, I guess that is the only silver lining.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Oxide

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
Well I was out of the country for 2 weeks. I went to game 2 and left the next day. I was pretty bummed to see the Pens swept, although I did not see any of the highlights after game 2.

I guess since Disco hasnt been fired yet that means he gets to mismanage this team again next season? I am so disappointed, they had an all star team. Now it seems like none of Shero's great acquisitions will even resign, not that I would want any of them back except maybe Iggy but at a hefty discount. I almost wished the Isles had beaten them to cause a major shakeup.

It seems that we will have a worse team next year, although the 2009 team was worse than the 2008 team, I guess that is the only silver lining.
Bylsma got a 2 year extension.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
j0e
Rookie User

Streit just signed a four year deal, if he's making over $6.5M, you probably can assume Letang is gone.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:08 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Streit just signed a four year deal, if he's making over $6.5M, you probably can assume Letang is gone.
6,5? 5M would be an overpayment for Streit at that lenght

Old
06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Waffle Fries

I think we should wait to see the monetary value before declaring that this deal has priced Letang out of town

I'm assuming that since it's a ridiculous term, that the caphit will be a little lower.

Also, he can't sign officially be signed until after the buyout period because otherwise the Flyers would be more than 10% over the cap.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
j0e
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
6,5? 5M would be an overpayment for Streit at that lenght
Four years, $22M. Still overpaid, I agree.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Shady Machine

If true, he went full Holmgren again. Never go full Holmgren.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Four years, $22M. Still overpaid, I agree.
Going rate for older vets.

Closed Thread