HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
dstoffa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
why wouldn't they be in front of 222? makes no sense
I have been told by someone in-the-know, that locating the media in front of 222 was a temporary move, since the old media crow's nest was removed during the upper bowl renovation, and the new location (the bridges) had yet to be constructed.

The platform in front of 222 and 221 will be seating for wheelchair patrons, their guests, and those who need folding chair-type seating (leg casts, etc.)

The broadcast (TV) media is moving to the bridge.

Cheers!
-Doug

Last edited by dstoffa: 06-17-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
I have been told by someone in-the-know, that locating the media in front of 222 was a temporary move, since the old media crow's nest was removed during the upper bowl renovation, and the new location (the bridges) had yet to be constructed.

The platform in front of 222 and 221 will be seating for wheelchair patrons, their guests, and those who need folding chair-type seating (leg casts, etc.)

Cheers!
-Doug
That just doesn't sound believable. That's way too high up.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
06-17-2013, 05:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Cheers!
-Doug
Are you sure you don't mean 222 and 223?

Old
06-17-2013, 05:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I guess the best fans in the upper 200s can hope for is that the bridges won't obstruct the playing surface in any way or fashion. Not being able to see the scoreboard won't be that big of a deal, but I can imagine that the tunnel vision can be disorienting.
The plasma TV's hanging on the back of the bridge are going to be distracting too... Who wants a TV screen that close to their line of sight while they're trying to watch the hockey game?

Old
06-17-2013, 06:29 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:

Cheers!
-Doug
im sorry, but thats not believeable at all. that angle would be way too high. im sure there will be a camera of some sort up there, but that will not be the main camera angle. it could be possible that the announcers will be up there, but the cameras will stay where they currently are.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:49 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
im sorry, but thats not believeable at all. that angle would be way too high. im sure there will be a camera of some sort up there, but that will not be the main camera angle. it could be possible that the announcers will be up there, but the cameras will stay where they currently are.
I've seen press boxes like that near the ceiling in Montreal, it's not so far fetched

Old
06-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I've seen press boxes like that near the ceiling in Montreal, it's not so far fetched
I got queasy even looking at that thing. It's so high and looks like it's supported by nothing.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:30 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
which is exactly what i just said. im not surprised if the announcers will be on the bridges, but the main tv cameras won't be.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
which is exactly what i just said. im not surprised if the announcers will be on the bridges, but the main tv cameras won't be.
who said anything about cameras?

Old
06-17-2013, 08:17 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
My person in the know was unsure if anything was going to happen to the on-ice action cameras, but they were certain (and I can't think of a reason not to believe them) that the media team will be moving to the bridge. There will be one camera up there for sure (or three) to get face time for the broadcast team. No different than the in-booth cameras you see in arenas today. I am only reporting what I was told.

I was also advised that the 9th floor suites will be retained and remodeled. The 10th floor suites on the 7th avenue end will become the Budweiser Deck, which I have been told will have a lounge feel to it. (Their words, not mine.)

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
06-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Don't really understand why they would locate the media on the bridge. Seems like they would want paying customers--what's the point of this kind of novelty seating if it's not going to generate revenue?

Old
06-17-2013, 09:09 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Don't really understand why they would locate the media on the bridge. Seems like they would want paying customers--what's the point of this kind of novelty seating if it's not going to generate revenue?
One bridge for media, one for customers.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
One bridge for media, one for customers.
Still doesn't explain why they'd give up the revenue. Unless they think the novelty of it all will wear off and they'll be left with little demand for expensive seats.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Still doesn't explain why they'd give up the revenue.
The press has to sit somewhere. You'd lose far more in revenue from loss of marketing & branding with no press at the game than by reserving a couple sections for them

Old
06-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The press has to sit somewhere. You'd lose far more in revenue from loss of marketing & branding with no press at the game than by reserving a couple sections for them
I'm not suggesting freezing the media out--just question why the Garden would move them to a place they have touted as a cool and unique way to see a hockey game.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

First off, I can't believe this is the last phase of the transformation. Seemed like yesterday we were all talking about it starting.

Second, im going to reserve judgement on the bridges. Obviously they are going to be somewhat of a novelty and most likely a real pain for some of the sth's a little further up. I also think they are a safety hazard, regardless of how much security is up there. I do however like the idea of the ring and TV sets hanging on it, provided they don't interfere with the view of the ice.

When I went at the end of last year I liked the upgrades they made but I was disappointed in the width of the concourses. Thought they would be larger with some areas open to the windows viewing Manhattan. But overall I think MSG is a better experience all around then the old one.

My main want is one thing, and thats better ICE. Whatever they have to do, new ice plant, new flooring , better exhaust system to deal with the heat from Penn station below it, I hope its done in top notch fashion and a real difference is noticed. Especially now that AV is going to instill a more offensive system, the better ice cant hurt!

Old
06-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I just can't deal with bridges. Bridges bridges bridges. Bridges!

Feel bad for the STH guys n girls higher up

Old
06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
dstoffa

Quote:
I'm not suggesting freezing the media out--just question why the Garden would move them to a place they have touted as a cool and unique way to see a hockey game.
The media should be located center ice, camera side, so that they call the game the way it's viewed on television. The old media crows nest took up, what, at most one section of old blue seats? Since the action cameras won't be with them, it is certain they won't need as much space on the 31st bridge. I expect them to rope / glass off maybe 30 feet of center ice bridge on the 31st side for TV (at worst the length of the neutral zone). They have the entire 33rd street side for selling tickets, plus whatever they don't need on the 31st street side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Second, im going to reserve judgement on the bridges. Obviously they are going to be somewhat of a novelty and most likely a real pain for some of the sth's a little further up. I also think they are a safety hazard, regardless of how much security is up there. I do however like the idea of the ring and TV sets hanging on it, provided they don't interfere with the view of the ice.
There were similar truss obstructions at the old Montreal Forum for those patrons in the last rows of those blue seats and for those in blue seat standing room. I do not think the view on the ice will be impacted at all, but like others, would not be happy with having a tunnel-vision like view of the ice. In Montreal, they had 23" tube CRTs in the overhead. Here, they will have bright LED ribbons and big flat panels, which will take your eye away from what you went there to watch -- the game on the ice.

Quote:
When I went at the end of last year I liked the upgrades they made but I was disappointed in the width of the concourses. Thought they would be larger with some areas open to the windows viewing Manhattan. But overall I think MSG is a better experience all around then the old one.
By moving the old 7th floor concourse up to the 8th floor, it was a given that they concourses would be narrower. And besides, now the concourses used by old 300 and 400 level patrons must now be used by all 200 level patrons. More people in less area means more crowds. There was no way they could open windows on the 8th floor concourse, since all the infrastructure to the roof is run on the perimeter of the building, along with the emergency exit stairwells. Possible, but not pleasing to the eye. With the 6th floor, they had many options on the avenues, but not so on the street sides of the building.

I have not walked it, but I am sure the suite concourse on the 7th floor is a ball room.

Quote:
My main want is one thing, and thats better ICE. Whatever they have to do, new ice plant, new flooring , better exhaust system to deal with the heat from Penn station below it, I hope its done in top notch fashion and a real difference is noticed. Especially now that AV is going to instill a more offensive system, the better ice cant hurt!
No argument from me here....

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
06-18-2013, 10:50 AM
li7039

Quote:
The media should be located center ice, camera side, so that they call the game the way it's viewed on television. The old media crows nest took up, what, at most one section of old blue seats? Since the action cameras won't be with them, it is certain they won't need as much space on the 31st bridge. I expect them to rope / glass off maybe 30 feet of center ice bridge on the 31st side for TV (at worst the length of the neutral zone). They have the entire 33rd street side for selling tickets, plus whatever they don't need on the 31st street side.

-Doug

The only media that is going to be on the bridge is going to be the Larry Brooks and such of the world. Sam and Joe plus whatever other tv announcers will still be in their old spot.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
trueblue9441

Quote:
woops that was my bad, just assumed he meant they'd move up there with the media

Old
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

I wonder if the bridges will cast shadows on the ice or if there will be television lights on the bridges themselves to account for their presence.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
dstoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by li7039 View Post
The only media that is going to be on the bridge is going to be the Larry Brooks and such of the world. Sam and Joe plus whatever other tv announcers will still be in their old spot.
The attached model pic indicates media-a-plenty on the 31st side... Looks like some media is out in the open (press), with other media in their own mini-studios (TV, radio).

It also looks as if the media in 216 is being replaced by seating... If all the media moves upstairs, that helps explain how they get their capacity back... The story of 216 will probably be answered when the on-line relocation opens up...

It would seem the media are movin' on up.....

Quote:
I wonder if the bridges will cast shadows on the ice or if there will be television lights on the bridges themselves to account for their presence.
With regards to the shadows... The lights would need to be above and behind the bridges. While they are certain to be above the bridges, no way are they behind them.

Cheers!
-Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09hockey1-popup.jpg‎ (42.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by dstoffa: 06-18-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: F7
Old
06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
bubba5

So are there two
Bridges or one? If model is correct then one.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
So are there two
Bridges or one? If model is correct then one.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:53 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Personally I find the money being spent on renovating that building a joke.

Should have built a new arena from the ground up.

The building is an ugly relic from the 60's with no architectual appeal.

I hear Worlds Most Famous Arena and think to myself that place is a fricking dump

Closed Thread