HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Video Game Talk (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yup. That's going to be crazy.

My buddy showed me a trailer for Titanfall and the next Metal Gear Solid too. They look sick.

Pretty pumped. Kind of sucks that almost all the really good looking games aren't going to be launch titles though.
Destiny will be coming out on PS3 and 360 too. I might pick it up for 360 and wait a few months until, hopefully, the second version of the PS4 is coming out.

Edit: I completely misread what you were saying. Nevermind me.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
You also get tons of free content. It's not like Microsoft where all you're paying for is the ability to connect to the internet
Fixed that for you. Need gold to use netflix and the likes, where as PS+ is not required for those.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
McNutty780

I have to get a new TV before all of this too.

@ my wallet this fall

Old
06-17-2013, 03:12 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
You also get tons of free content. It's not like Microsoft where all you're paying for is the ability to play online
Well, I'd say the "content" is what you're paying for, but either way I probably won't take much advantage of. I had that free month of PS+ last year and didn't download a thing. I'd rather have it be bare-bones but free (like PS3), but that's just my opinion.

Also the fact that it's not as bad as the x-box doesn't matter to me, I have a PS3 and that's what I'm comparing the PS4 to. Like I said though, $50 a year isn't a huge deal, I just would prefer the free option.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Well, I'd say the "content" is what you're paying for, but either way I probably won't take much advantage of. I had that free month of PS+ last year and didn't download a thing. I'd rather have it be bare-bones but free (like PS3), but that's just my opinion.

Also the fact that it's not as bad as the x-box doesn't matter to me, I have a PS3 and that's what I'm comparing the PS4 to. Like I said though, $50 a year isn't a huge deal, I just would prefer the free option.
Then just use the PS4 for single player games and PC for multiplayer.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Perfect_Drug

A bit more of a positive spin on the Xbone:

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282

TBH, I could see this helping BIG-TIME with Sports Games.

Daily updates to injuries, player stats, or roster moves. If Ovechkin turns it up IRL, he'll be turning it up in the game.

It could also stand to use the public as a HUGE beta-test service like Battle.net, so studios can balance games on the fly, or balance overpowered classes/weapons, and give boosts to nerfed characters (Especially important to the Killer Instinct Launch).

I dunno... seems more interesting framed in the right mind-set.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Oscar Acosta
I'm So Fancy

Yeah but how much time and effort would that take to daily update players? EA can't even get an opening day roster out within weeks.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
A bit more of a positive spin on the Xbone:

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-believers-513819282
Thanks for posting that. It's definitely an interesting read. I'm not going to preorder an xbone, but I still may end up getting one. Depends what happens in the next few months

06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Yeah but how much time and effort would that take to daily update players? EA can't even get an opening day roster out within weeks.
Yep, you're kidding yourself if you think EA is going to start devoting all this time to a game all of a sudden when it takes them months to fix glitches and update rosters as is.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:09 PM
fysloc

The biggest issue nobody seems to mention is that north america is still pretty bad ass backwards interms of internet connectivity. Xbone will kill your datacap if your on a normal plan with 100gb monthly limit if what they advertised is true. If 720p videos being played for 8 hours a day every day for a month pushed me to 100gb, I can't imagine what happens when they use cloud computing to render new stuff on the screen (as it seems to be implied with expandable infinite worlds, the onboard GPU isn't rendering it anymore at that point).

To me, I think the Xbone cloud concept is too early to work and will take maybe 5 years to finally get anywhere. Just like how OnLive was too early for its time due to horrible internet datacaps and bandwidth limits. Advertise cloud to Korea, and it will work. In North America, we need better internet infrastructure in place to support such a concept.

Then comes the last part. What makes them think they can't do the same thing on the PS4? PS4 is also pushing for the cloud (Gaikai anyone?), it's just not assumed every single console will be connected to the internet, but if a person was connected to the internet, they would get the same experience with cloud computing, but the same problem applies, our internet infrastructure is horrible.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:16 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...a-next-gen-pc/

Old
06-17-2013, 07:26 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
On a Nintendo topic, any word if they'll start announcing things for the new SSB like they did for Brawl?

Old
06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
It sucks that PS+ will now be mandatory to play online multiplayer. "Hardcore" gamers won't care but it will seem like a waste for those of us that play offline 90% of the time and could go months without using the service. But I guess $50 a year isn't unreasonable (and things could certainly be worse).
I feel the same way. I might go month to month eventually as I often go months without playing a game (I still use my PS3 regularly for Netflix and Blu Rays though).

I can justify a full year subscription for PS+ simply because I'll be on it in that first year more than any subsequent year.

Old
06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PS+ pays for itself pretty quickly.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:06 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
PS+ pays for itself pretty quickly.
It will if Sony keeps throwing around free games when the PS4 is out as they have with the PS3.

Almost every owner of a PS4 will be playing their games online primarily. So basically every owner of a PS4 will be subscribed to PS+.

Sony is using free games to get PS3 owners to sign up for PS+, but when the subscription is essentially mandatory for the PS4, I can't help but wonder if Sony will keep offering the same incentives.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

PC gamers are the hipsters of the video game industry. If I wanted to drop $1000+ to get a gaming computer, I would, but I prefer console gaming

Old
06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
PC gamers are the hipsters of the video game industry. If I wanted to drop $1000+ to get a gaming computer, I would, but I prefer console gaming
You can build something better than an Xbox One for around the same price, especially after considering the cost of an XBL subscription.

You can spend $2000 on a gaming PC. Doesn't mean you have to for next gen games.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
JonQuixote

The Last of Us is really hard!

Old
06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
You can build something better than an Xbox One for around the same price, especially after considering the cost of an XBL subscription.

You can spend $2000 on a gaming PC. Doesn't mean you have to for next gen games.
No you can't. That's 500 British pounds. My PS4 is half that. And that's not including the cost of the monitor, making the PC even MORE expensive. If you like PC gaming, good on you. I'd rather spend drastically less and stick with the one I prefer.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

The money you save from pirating games and lack of XBL gold or PS+ makes the PC pay for itself!

Old
06-18-2013, 12:21 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
No you can't. That's 500 British pounds. My PS4 is half that. And that's not including the cost of the monitor, making the PC even MORE expensive. If you like PC gaming, good on you. I'd rather spend drastically less and stick with the one I prefer.
Should we add in the price of a new TV for the PS4 to balance that out? Who doesn't have a monitor?

I don't really care what you prefer, people just need to stop being delusional over the cost of hardware. $1000+. Please. $650 come holiday season for a machine better than a $550 Xbox One.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:29 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Should we add in the price of a new TV for the PS4 to balance that out? Who doesn't have a monitor?

I don't really care what you prefer, people just need to stop being delusional over the cost of hardware. $1000+. Please. $650 come holiday season for a machine better than a $550 Xbox One.
I don't. I've always had laptops. I do have lots of TVs though, like everyone on the planet. I don't care that for an extra $250 (if you can find the right sale) I could get a computer as good as my PS4. Telling the 100+ million people with PS3s, and 360s that they're wrong won't change anything

Old
06-18-2013, 01:35 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I need to borrow a friend's PS3 to try it.

Sounds like a really good game.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:38 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Is it fun hard or piss you off hard?

Old
06-18-2013, 02:17 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Is it fun hard or piss you off hard?
It's getting 'piss me off' hard, but it's mostly fun hard. I'm not exactly the best game player either, but some of my trouble is that I have to wrap my head around not playing it like a video game (kill everything!) and play it more like real life (run, hide, run some more, leave dozens of still-breathing bad guys behind me). If I think about it like that, it's 'fun hard' and very thrilling.

But some parts, where I kind of have to be typical-video-game guy and kill everything, those are getting piss-me-off hard. I'm dying a lot.

Closed Thread