HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Summer '13 Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 08:05 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 100
I asked Portzline about the gentleman's agreement with Prospal...

Per AP...
Quote:
@IBleedUnionBlue The "gentleman's agreement" w Prospal was news to new #CBJ management. No decision has been made re: Prospal's #CBJ future. Prospal wants to return to #CBJ. Management wants to get through draft weekend, perhaps free agency, before deciding if feeling is mutual.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post

Per AP...
Sounds like they only really want him back if they don't fill his position with someone else.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Sounds like they only really want him back if they don't fill his position with someone else.
That, or they want to see where he might actually fit in the lineup after they tend to needs to make the team better. At that point it may be a function of how much they want to pay him. I like Vinny and wouldn't mind seeing him return. I think he's great in the lockerroom and still has some scoring punch to add to this team. However, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't get re-signed. I think we have the strongest lockerroom we've ever had and the best leadership we've ever had.

Tough call...

Old
06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i think vinny still brings something to this team, but yeah, like Xoggz, I wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't bring him back...

Old
06-17-2013, 08:55 AM
RDriesenUD

I just don't see a place for him, unless we can trade someone like Umberger. We just don't have enough room at forward and need to find a way to upgrade it.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
That, or they want to see where he might actually fit in the lineup after they tend to needs to make the team better. At that point it may be a function of how much they want to pay him. I like Vinny and wouldn't mind seeing him return. I think he's great in the lockerroom and still has some scoring punch to add to this team. However, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he didn't get re-signed. I think we have the strongest lockerroom we've ever had and the best leadership we've ever had.

Tough call...
Real tough call.

He he's certainly brought a lot to the Jackets and was key in turning things around. He was the teams leading scorer and the defacto Captain.

But, is there enough left in his 38 (to be 39) year old legs? Or could he be just as valuable or more so in some position other than playing?

With all he's done I would hate to see him get about halfway through the season and realize it was one season too many. He deserves better than to have to be scratched or worse.

Yea, real tough call.

I post, therefore I am.
Old
06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
EDM

From everything I have heard, despite all the talk about Johnson and Dubi's leadership, the real leader inthe locker room was Prospal.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Frankly, I don't see how this is a question at all. Prospal was the team's leading scorer this year, and second-leading scorer the year before (four points behind Mr. Five-Time All-Star).

This isn't Adam Foote in 2007 or Luke Richardson in 2006 or Scott Lachance in 2004 (or Adrian Aucoin in 2013). This is a guy who can clearly still produce at the NHL level, and who would likely be looking at a one- or two-year deal for not a great deal of cash. There's the cap room to handle it, and the contract list room to handle it. And he wants to come back.

We've heard all this stuff from up top for the last six months about "the right way". I don't see how stringing along a productive respected veteran is compatible with that in the slightest. Worst-case scenario is that he's signed for one more year and can't produce, in which case a small amount of cash is lost and someone like Colton Gillies isn't on the ice.

Anyone who knows me, whether in person or simply on here, knows that I'm not one for sentimentality. I'm pretty cold, to the point of being downright frosty. So when I'm saying that re-signing Prospal at the earliest possible date is an absolute no-brainer, take that for what it's worth.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post

Per AP...
How do we NOT re-up Vinny? The dude lead us in points and as long as his demands are reasonable, he won't even last that long in UFA.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Frankly, I don't see how this is a question at all. Prospal was the team's leading scorer this year, and second-leading scorer the year before (four points behind Mr. Five-Time All-Star).

This isn't Adam Foote in 2007 or Luke Richardson in 2006 or Scott Lachance in 2004 (or Adrian Aucoin in 2013). This is a guy who can clearly still produce at the NHL level, and who would likely be looking at a one- or two-year deal for not a great deal of cash. There's the cap room to handle it, and the contract list room to handle it. And he wants to come back.

We've heard all this stuff from up top for the last six months about "the right way". I don't see how stringing along a productive respected veteran is compatible with that in the slightest. Worst-case scenario is that he's signed for one more year and can't produce, in which case a small amount of cash is lost and someone like Colton Gillies isn't on the ice.

Anyone who knows me, whether in person or simply on here, knows that I'm not one for sentimentality. I'm pretty cold, to the point of being downright frosty. So when I'm saying that re-signing Prospal at the earliest possible date is an absolute no-brainer, take that for what it's worth.
I don't know. You've seemed pretty sentimental toward the previous CBJ organizational leadership, and seem to have taken quite the heated stance in opposition to the subsequent. So don't seel yourself short.

I agree with you as regards Prospal's future with the CBJ.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
squarelaces

Vinnie was the leading scorer on a team who couldn't score. His lack of speed makes him a defensive liability on a team who wants to play fast. If he would sign for 1yr at $1M, maybe. If the price is higher than that, no.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:04 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Vinnie was the leading scorer on a team who couldn't score. His lack of speed makes him a defensive liability on a team who wants to play fast. If he would sign for 1yr at $1M, maybe. If the price is higher than that, no.
Even if you use him mostly for powerplay and leadership in the room, we could justify paying him more than that.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:09 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Even if you use him mostly for powerplay and leadership in the room, we could justify paying him more than that.
What line are you playing him on then?

We need an upgrade on the 1st or 2nd line. I just don't see a place for him IF we can get that and IF we don't trade one of our forwards.

I am not against bringing him back, but I think management would rather go in a different direction. That is just my opinion though.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 100
Quote:
I just don't see a place for him, unless we can trade someone like Umberger. We just don't have enough room at forward and need to find a way to upgrade it.
Based on their play the last 2 years, I would rather have Prospal then Umberger. Of course, Umbergers contract might get in the way of things.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
RDriesenUD

I would rather have Prospal too.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:59 PM
major major

Quote:
What line are you playing him on then?

We need an upgrade on the 1st or 2nd line. I just don't see a place for him IF we can get that and IF we don't trade one of our forwards.

I am not against bringing him back, but I think management would rather go in a different direction. That is just my opinion though.
You can sit him most of the games until injuries pile up, which is likely, and then we'll actually need him on a top scoring line. I do think we need to bring his minutes down and hopefully find better scorers to give those plum zone starts to, but even at 13 minutes a night and 50 games he'd be worth a couple million.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I don't know. You've seemed pretty sentimental toward the previous CBJ organizational leadership, and seem to have taken quite the heated stance in opposition to the subsequent. So don't seel yourself short.
I would disagree with that. The vitriol toward the last regime was so intense and generally united that anyone who wasn't on board with that side of things was accused of...well, a lot of things (the PMs have all been deleted). By the same token, the praise and implicit trust placed in the current one is so extreme and so generally united that anyone who isn't on board with that looks like actual opposition.

Regardless, this isn't about me, and I'm not here to talk about the past.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I would disagree with that. The vitriol toward the last regime was so intense and generally united that anyone who wasn't on board with that side of things was accused of...well, a lot of things (the PMs have all been deleted). By the same token, the praise and implicit trust placed in the current one is so extreme and so generally united that anyone who isn't on board with that looks like actual opposition.

Regardless, this isn't about me, and I'm not here to talk about the past.
Oh, so that's what this is all about? Why can't you be more transparent?

My point was not about you but a caveat to your reasoning. despite my concern, I agree with it.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I like Vinny but if JK is waiting to see if his spot is better served to be filled with a younger or better player I'm ok with it... If anything I'd like to see Vinny behind the bench...

Old
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Roadman
Moving On

I don't really know where Vinny would best fit in, but I don't think behind the bench is the best place, at least to start with. Outside of the powerplay I think the current group has done a good job. And the power play may be more personnel, than systemic.

Where Vinny would be best I think would be Chris Clark's job of Player Development. Helping the young player throughout the organization learn what it takes to be a professional player. That he has in spades.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:31 PM
EspenK

As I've said before we have 11 forwards signed for next year. Jenner may or not take the 12th spot. That would leave one spot open for Vinnie or a FA if the Jackets keep 13 F's. Obviously his chances go up if they decide to keep 14.

Bob's & AA's contracts could have a bearing depending on what they wind up costing.

I'd like to see Vinny back for sentimental reasons but from a practical standpoint of building a team both for next year and the future I think the odds are against him.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
As I've said before we have 11 forwards signed for next year. Jenner may or not take the 12th spot. That would leave one spot open for Vinnie or a FA if the Jackets keep 13 F's. Obviously his chances go up if they decide to keep 14.

Bob's & AA's contracts could have a bearing depending on what they wind up costing.

I'd like to see Vinny back for sentimental reasons but from a practical standpoint of building a team both for next year and the future I think the odds are against him.
I agree. Good post.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Might be wise to stay out of the FA market, look at that Streit contract. People are going to be overpaying by the masses, lets make our improvements via trade.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:27 PM
MFRONE

They are going to stay out of the FA market, there isn't anybody out there that would make this team better.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
They are going to stay out of the FA market, there isn't anybody out there that would make this team better.
Johansen centering Jagr and Iginla would be interesting.

Closed Thread