Notices

Cal Clutterbuck

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 04:25 PM
willt23

vCash: 500
Cal Clutterbuck

OK so just in front of Parise is Clutterbuck as my favourite player (never too old to have favourites! I see he is coming up to be a free agent this off-season, and personally I'd love to see him play so that when I eventually make the trip to Minnesota in the next season or two that I get to see him play.

What are the chances of the Wild signing him up? Or him even agreeing a deal?

Cheers,

Will

Old
06-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

He's an RFA... so the Wild have a lot of control over his future. That being said he's one of the Wild's best trade assets... so he could be dangled for some blue line help.

I think Clutter ends up sticking around because his season wasn't up to his normal standards , so the market will be down enough on him to keep him affordable.

That being said, if the Wild end up having to break the bank to get a #1 goaltender (or to resign backstrom) they may be forced to move Clutter to save some cap space.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:14 PM
North Metro Peewees

I think he likely stays.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:18 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Wouldn't mind seeing Clutter gone. He was the ghost of a shell of his former self. One good year last season with 15 goals and he completely gave up his tenacious hitting which made him so great. Then he didn't score and basically just a waste of space out there.

However, his value can't be nearly as high as it was a year or two ago.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Don't really care either way whether he stays or goes. If he's traded though I hope it's in a package for a player to upgrade the lineup. I don't want him traded for just a pick or two.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:04 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Given the very little cap space Minnesota has, I really don't see GMCF trading Clutter for an established player with a contract. That contract needs to be less than <3 million. Unless it's a rookie (and most GMs don't want to trade established rookies), he doesn't have a ton of flexibility on what he can do with Clutter.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Think there's a chance Wild could trade Clutter + 3rd + Spurgeon/Stoner/Gilbert for a better defenseman?

Old
06-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Think there's a chance Wild could trade Clutter + 3rd + Spurgeon/Stoner/Gilbert for a better defenseman?
Unless it's Gilbert that is moved, I don't think there is enough cap space for a better defenseman.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I do think it's possible Clutterbuck is a piece in a trade for a defenseman.

I'm also of the opinion that Clutterbuck is a prime trade possibility due to Cap Issues, as is Gilbert. I don't think Stoner has much value, he's the kind of player teams pick up as UFA's to fill out the roster. Spurgeon is a Top 4 Dman for the Wild, how many other team's would consider him a Top 4 guy?

Old
06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
walloftvs

IMO, Clutter's play has severely dropped off the last 2 seasons. My guess is he'll be back simply due to him having less value than perceived -- I think the perceived value on here is simply due to most fan's not ever watching us play.

Public message to Cal: You are not the sniper you think you are. Get back to playing the game that got you in the league.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:51 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing Clutter gone. He was the ghost of a shell of his former self. One good year last season with 15 goals and he completely gave up his tenacious hitting which made him so great. Then he didn't score and basically just a waste of space out there.

However, his value can't be nearly as high as it was a year or two ago.
For once you and I agree.

I want to see him gone. He's a role player, and he doesn't play his role anymore.

I do feel that his trade value is artificially inflated a bit, due to the overall perception of him though. I would seek to capitalize on this if I were Chuck.

We have other players who can do what he does, or we could trade for a player that will truly be an agitator.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walloftvs View Post
IMO, Clutter's play has severely dropped off the last 2 seasons. My guess is he'll be back simply due to him having less value than perceived -- I think the perceived value on here is simply due to most fan's not ever watching us play.

Public message to Cal: You are not the sniper you think you are. Get back to playing the game that got you in the league.
I think injuries are starting to play into his change of play.

Imo, I don't think he'll ever be as useful as he once was to us.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:04 PM
BigT2002

He's gone unless he'll sign for $1.5M

Old
06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by walloftvs View Post

This.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Don't think a bigger mistake could be made this offseason than moving Clutterbuck for anything less than a defenseman who can fill some big minutes on the second pairing, is cost controlled, and has room to grow into his game yet.

Most everyone is down a Clutterbuck's game after a truncated and condensed schedule. Both of which due no favors to his style of play. Move him for pennies on the dollar and I think you'll ultimately regret not having him on the biggest stage where his game translates the best. And it should be no surprise that he was one of the best players for the Wild during the Chicago series.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Wildfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Don't think a bigger mistake could be made this offseason than moving Clutterbuck for anything less than a defenseman who can fill some big minutes on the second pairing, is cost controlled, and has room to grow into his game yet.

Most everyone is down a Clutterbuck's game after a truncated and condensed schedule. Both of which due no favors to his style of play. Move him for pennies on the dollar and I think you'll ultimately regret not having him on the biggest stage where his game translates the best. And it should be no surprise that he was one of the best players for the Wild during the Chicago series.
I agree. IMO people are way under-valuing Clutts. Will his style of play break him down prematurely? Maybe. Maybe not for several years. The Wild's current roster is very soft. Losing the team's biggest hitter... The team needs more guys like Clutts, subtracting him is a step in the wrong direction - UNLESS there's a decent return like D man that fits this providence's template. I'd add a robust physical game to that Dman's attributes, too.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
saywut

Depends on how things are going up front. Obviously I'd offer arbitration, can't see him getting over 2M that way on a 1-year deal with the year he had. With Dowell, Rupp, Konopka, and Mitchell all having contracts we're kinda filled on the 4th line, so we'd need a 3rd line wing spot for Clutterbuck, and if Seto/Coyle/Zucker/Parise/Pominville/Heatley remain there's not really a spot. Something has to give.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:02 AM
DANOZ28

big buck was my fav player for several years, im not sure why his level of play dropped. if mgmt feels he wont / cant recover then i would understand moving him. i hope he stays & regains beast mode! cheers

Old
06-19-2013, 09:41 AM
willt23

Thanks for the info guys!

Old
06-19-2013, 10:33 AM
nickschultzfan

Clutterbuck is way more overvalued than undervalued. Times like this I really wish there was effective advanced statistics for hockey.

If you stop watching Clutterbuck's hits for a second, and take a bird's eye view of when he is on the ice, you will see the other team's MASSIVELY out-chancing the Wild. There are many reason for this, but in sum it is because Clutterbuck is the anti-puck possession player.

Even his "best" quality of hitting has been declining since his rookie season, and will continue to decline because he's not getting any younger, and, as the Bruins are making 100% right now, "being physical" also means out-muscling the other team on the boards and downlow, two things Clutterbuck is terrible at. Bruins are winning the Stanley Cup right now because they can hit AND manhandle their opponents.

Old
06-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's his Corsi (team rank/number of players):

2012-13 5/15
2011-12 9/19
2010-11 8/16
2009-10 10/15
2008-09 10/16

Pretty much mid-pack.

I'd agree Clutter is very effective without the puck, it's his play with the puck that keeps him from being a contributor. I like him as a disruptor and on the PK i.e. 4th line.

Old
06-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I think hes a type of player other teams would overpay for. Wouldn't mind giving up, but I don't think hes worth over $1.8m

Old
06-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Package him for Bernier.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
No. That would be too large of a package. With his contract status he would just be a throw in.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
No. That would be too large of a package. With his contract status he would just be a throw in.
Considering Bernier is in the same situation, no, he wouldn't be just a throw in. If it really did get to the point where a guy like Clutter is just a throw in, then Fletcher should drop out of the race and just re-sign him.

Closed Thread