HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Term Top 30

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2003, 09:36 PM
petec1978*

vCash: 500
Mid-Term Top 30

This is my own personal mid-term re-rankings for the Lightning's top 30 prospects:

PC's Lightning Top-30

1. Alex Polushin
2. Adam Henrich
3. Andreas Holmqvist
4. Mike Egener
5. Dimitry Afanasenkov
6. Evgeni Artukhin
7. Gerard Dicaire
8. Matt Smaby
9. Martin Cibak
10. Anton But

11. Dimitry Kazionov
12. Ryan Craig
13. JF Soucy
14. Paul Ranger
15. Brian Eklund
16. Dennis Packard
17. Doug O'Brien
18. Jonathan Boutin
19. Gerald Coleman
20. Darren Reid

21. Jeremy Van Hoof
22. Evgeny Konstantinov
23. Vasily Koshechkin
24. Joe Pearce
25. "The Mayor" Brady Greco
26. PJ Atherton
27. Henrik Bergfors
28. Alexei Glukhov
29. Nick Tarnasky
30. Zbynek Hrdel

Flame away Erack...

-Pete Choquette

Old
12-29-2003, 07:42 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Gasp, Packard at #16 now?

Actually for the most part I agree with your rankings. I might bump up Brady Greco a few notches maybe around the 21 or 22 spot. He is averaging a point every other game with a pretty decent team in a #7 ranked Colorado College, and from what I hear is playing very solid. A frequent scratch at the begining of the season has earned a regular role.

Last edited by Erack82: 12-29-2003 at 07:47 AM.
Old
12-29-2003, 09:05 AM
petec1978*

18-24 a case could be made for any of those guys to be ranked higher. That's where the list got hairy for me, because someone (Van Hoof) was going to get the shaft.

I like "The Mayor" too... remember, I was the first to hop on his bandwagon after drafting him.

Smaby still in the top-10

-Pete Choquette

Old
12-30-2003, 09:37 AM
petec1978*

Wow... and everyone apparently is in agreement with this list what with the apparent apathy for the thread.

Either that or we're too busy being worried about the big club.

-Pete Choquette

Old
12-30-2003, 12:08 PM
exterminator-x

Ok... looks pretty good, but I have one not-so-minor disagreement, and couple of nitpickers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec1978
1. Alex Polushin
2. Adam Henrich
3. Andreas Holmqvist
4. Mike Egener
5. Dimitry Afanasenkov
I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but I don't see how we can rate Afanasenkov anywhere but at #1.

Who has taken over the body of Dmitry Afanasenkov? If someone would have told me last spring that he'd be playing 3rd line grinding on the boards, out-working opponents, filling in on a scoring line, playing the power play, and in the game in a defensive situation hanging on to a one-goal lead with a minute left to go, I'd ask you what you were smoking. Talk about proving your critics wrong... God, I like that!

He's made an about face in his play, and he's proving he staying with the big club. He's as close to *making it* as a prospect can get, and still be a prospect, which is more than you can say for the rest of the Top 5 -- still NHL potential at this point.

IMO, if we hadn't booted him out of the Top 10 last summer all the way out of the Top 20, then I suspect he'd be #1 on your list. Kicking him up from out of the Top 20 all the way to the top is hard thing to do, but in the case, I think well deserved. There's no one arguing that Afanasenkov continues to be one of the best Bolts night in and night out.

Quote:
11. Dimitry Kazionov
12. Ryan Craig
13. JF Soucy
14. Paul Ranger
15. Brian Eklund
This is nitpicky, but I'd put Craig at 11 and Kazionov at 12. The #11 spot is the catbird seat to the Top 10, and Ryan Craig is not only sticking on a decent AHL roster, but is maintaining his ice time despite the Avalanche getting healthier and healthier. Not a big deal, but just a tip of the hat.

Also, Eklund is putting together a great season. I'd bump him ahead of Soucy and Ranger into the #13 spot. Clearly, by the end of the season, he'll be ready for the challenge of sharing AHL duty for 2004-2005.

Quote:
16. Dennis Packard
17. Doug O'Brien
18. Jonathan Boutin
19. Gerald Coleman
20. Darren Reid
Again, a bit nitpicky here, but I'd swap Coleman and Boutin. I know that Boutin has better tools, but Coleman is having by far and away a better season that Boutin is having. Not a slap in the face to Boutin, but a tip of the hat to Coleman.

Quote:
21. Jeremy Van Hoof
22. Evgeny Konstantinov
23. Vasily Koshechkin
24. Joe Pearce
25. "The Mayor" Brady Greco
26. PJ Atherton
27. Henrik Bergfors
28. Alexei Glukhov
29. Nick Tarnasky
30. Zbynek Hrdel
Ranking Georgie at #22 is basically an act of face saving for him here at HF. I'm not saying move him down, but in my heart of hearts, I pretty sure his gig here is done, so realistically he could fall anywhere below #22 and it wouldn't be a crime. In fact, I just feel sad and sorry for him, and maybe just let him ride off in the sunset at #22.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:21 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but I don't see how we can rate Afanasenkov anywhere but at #1.
He can't finish to save his life. That makes him a 2nd/3rd line tweener in my mind. Polushin, Henrich, and Egener all have better upside and Artukhin is similar in upside but brings greater physical gifts to the table.

Quote:
This is nitpicky, but I'd put Craig at 11 and Kazionov at 12.
Skating. Period. Plus I think Kazionov's stock needs to be pushing up towards the top-10 as our only representative at the WJC's.

Quote:
Also, Eklund is putting together a great season.
Key words: in the ECHL. There's no doubt in my mind Ranger has better upside with how well he skates. I don't think you can dismiss the fact this guy made Canada's preseason camp, or the fact Erack nearly rioted when he was left out of the top-10 before the season. Soucy? Yeah, maybe. But I don't think you can dismiss how he played in the ex-games so quickly. His skating also means he has better upside too IMO.

Quote:
Again, a bit nitpicky here, but I'd swap Coleman and Boutin. I know that Boutin has better tools, but Coleman is having by far and away a better season that Boutin is having. Not a slap in the face to Boutin, but a tip of the hat to Coleman.
But Coleman hasn't even won his team's starting job free and clear yet. Until then, its difficult to move a 7th round pick in the last draft ahead of a 3rd.

Quote:
Ranking Georgie at #22 is basically an act of face saving for him here at HF.
The last time we dropped a Russian out of the top-20 he came back and bit us on the ***, so this might be the salvation of Georgie's career.

-Pete Choquette

Old
12-31-2003, 08:21 AM
exterminator-x

Obviously, missing on the scene are Chad's comments...

Quote:
He can't finish to save his life. That makes him a 2nd/3rd line tweener in my mind. Polushin, Henrich, and Egener all have better upside and Artukhin is similar in upside but brings greater physical gifts to the table.
Yep. Agreed. 2nd/3rd line tweener is what he looks like. Polushin and Henrich are likely solid 2nd liners. I still believe Holmqvist will top out on the top pair, but I'm not yet convinced Egener doesn't go beyond the second pair. I concede my over-zealous #1 ranking of Afanasenkov as swayed by your arguments, so here's my tweak on your Top 10, which I think you can live with:

1. Alex Polushin
2. Adam Henrich
3. Andreas Holmqvist
4. Dimitry Afanasenkov
5. Mike Egener
6. Evgeni Artukhin
7. Gerard Dicaire
8. Matt Smaby
9. Martin Cibak
10. Anton But

Quote:
Skating. Period. Plus I think Kazionov's stock needs to be pushing up towards the top-10 as our only representative at the WJC's.

Key words: in the ECHL. There's no doubt in my mind Ranger has better upside with how well he skates. I don't think you can dismiss the fact this guy made Canada's preseason camp, or the fact Erack nearly rioted when he was left out of the top-10 before the season. Soucy? Yeah, maybe. But I don't think you can dismiss how he played in the ex-games so quickly. His skating also means he has better upside too IMO.
I agree that Craig's skating needs work, but that's why he's not in the Top 10. If he was a good skater, with all those smarts and heart and leadership, he'd be a lock in the Top 10. Craig is currently #12, and I think his camp and his winning a steady AHL gig is worth a one spot bump.

Kazionov getting a four spot bump from #15 just for securing a spot on a WJC team? If he was hitting the scoresheet in the tournament, I could see it. As I ponder it more, why should Kazionov get bumped above Paul Ranger?

I'm swayed by your Ranger-Soucy-Eklund arguments. Eklund is currently ranked #18, and three spot bump to #15 recognizes his ECHL All-Star-esque season.

How's this for a revised Top 15 that I think you can live with:

11. Ryan Craig
12. Paul Ranger
13. Dimitry Kazionov
14. JF Soucy
15. Brian Eklund

That's +1 for Craig's AHL gig, +1 for Ranger's camp/season/upside, +2 bump for Kazionov's RSL/WJC accomplishments, -3 for Soucy because his current #11 ranking is bit high for a guy not yet out of place in the ECHL and also recognizes that he has room to develop both defensively and offensively, and +3 bump for Eklund to recognize his developmental leap and his ECHL accomplishments.

Quote:
But Coleman hasn't even won his team's starting job free and clear yet. Until then, its difficult to move a 7th round pick in the last draft ahead of a 3rd.
I'll put this debate on the shelf until Coleman wins the #1 job in London (or somewhere), or until Boutin distances himself from Coleman by his on-ice performance.

No change from your list here:

16. Dennis Packard
17. Doug O'Brien
18. Jonathan Boutin
19. Gerald Coleman
20. Darren Reid

I like Reid entering the Top 20 here in place of Van Hoof. Coming out of camp, Reid was on the cusp of consideration for contract from the Bolts, and his play this season is certainly wooing them to the table. Maybe out of boredom, stagnation, or despair, Van Hoof's game has not been what I expected. He needs the challenge of AHL level to re-ignite him IMO. At this point, I'm eager to go with the young hungry kid with lots of momentum.

Quote:
The last time we dropped a Russian out of the top-20 he came back and bit us on the ***, so this might be the salvation of Georgie's career.
Your in his corner to the bitter end. No shame in that. In fact, that's one of the things I really like about you, Pete. The word 'fairweather' simply isn't in your vocabulary. When you are on somebody's side, you ride that train all the way to the end of the line. The station is just ahead, though, as Konstantinov just isn't in the Bolts AHL plans next season. Like I said, I've got no quarrel where you put him from 22 on out. Most all the guys (will the exception of Van Hoof) outside the Top 20 are just SWAGs anyway.

Old
12-31-2003, 02:41 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
but I'm not yet convinced Egener doesn't go beyond the second pair.
Second pair=second line. If Affy is a tweener, then a second pair d-man is more valuable than he is.

Quote:
Kazionov getting a four spot bump from #15 just for securing a spot on a WJC team? If he was hitting the scoresheet in the tournament, I could see it. As I ponder it more, why should Kazionov get bumped above Paul Ranger?
Because Kazionov is playing in a men's league in the RSL and having a decent rookie season. Compare Kazionov's statistics this season to Polushin's rookie season in the RSL last year.

Polushin: 47GP 5G 6A 11P
Kazionov: 30GP 5G 5A 10P

Granted, Polushin has a much more well rounded game, especially physically, and he has a lot of WJC plaudits.... but Kazionov has acquitted himself well in one of the two toughest leagues in Europe.

Quote:
Your in his corner to the bitter end. No shame in that. In fact, that's one of the things I really like about you, Pete. The word 'fairweather' simply isn't in your vocabulary. When you are on somebody's side, you ride that train all the way to the end of the line.
I'm not Konstantnov's biggest booster, matter of fact my position has nothing to do with Konstantinov. I just think if you make a mess you should at least attempt to clean it up. We made a mess of Konstantinov with our farm situation etc. I wrote off Afanasenkov too, and as it turned out his struggles had more to do with the system than it did with him.

Coleman and Boutin won't be signed until the summer of 2005. That gives this team a one year window next yeat to give Konstantinov one last shot under better circumstances in a full affiliate. I think they owe him that much.

-Pete Choquette

Old
01-02-2004, 06:09 AM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Coleman and Boutin won't be signed until the summer of 2005. That gives this team a one year window next yeat to give Konstantinov one last shot under better circumstances in a full affiliate. I think they owe him that much.
Maybe... but it's looking like that probably won't happen. Seems the plan is to sign a vet AHL goalie to share time with Eklund on the team's new AHL affiliate next season. I don't think anyone including Georgie benefits from him trying yet another season in P'cola.

One thing is for sure. The Bolts are going to have to address Eklund's workload for the remainder of this season. With only five starts to date for Georgie, if something doesn't change, Eklund is going to get worn out or injured.

Either Georgie needs to get more starts, or the Bolts need to just buy him out and sign an ECHL vet goalie for P'cola for the rest of the season.

Old
01-03-2004, 12:49 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
Seems the plan is to sign a vet AHL goalie to share time with Eklund on the team's new AHL affiliate next season.
I hate that though. I hate wasting developmental time that could go to a young player on some has-been or never-will-be with no NHL future. I almost think its better to take your lumps tandeming two young goaltenders rather than having Eklund rot behind some AHL level geiser.

-Pete Choquette

Old
01-06-2004, 07:30 AM
Timmy1973

Can anyone give me a time frame as to when Evgeny Artukhin will have the all around game and be ready for a serious shot at the big club? People like Afanasenkov, Clymer, Fedotenko can get in peoples' way and tie them up, but I want to see someone put other team's players on their cans.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:45 AM
exterminator-x

Quote:
I hate that though. I hate wasting developmental time that could go to a young player on some has-been or never-will-be with no NHL future. I almost think its better to take your lumps tandeming two young goaltenders rather than having Eklund rot behind some AHL level geiser.
Actually, the plan is to sign someone who will be a legit #3 for Bolts next season. Not sure if that equates to a "has-been" or a "never-will-be" or a "AHL geiser".

It could be someone Tyler Moss-esque.

It could also be someone like Norrena, which might not be too bad.

Last edited by exterminator-x: 01-06-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old
01-06-2004, 09:55 AM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterminator-x
Maybe... but it's looking like that probably won't happen. Seems the plan is to sign a vet AHL goalie to share time with Eklund on the team's new AHL affiliate next season. I don't think anyone including Georgie benefits from him trying yet another season in P'cola.

One thing is for sure. The Bolts are going to have to address Eklund's workload for the remainder of this season. With only five starts to date for Georgie, if something doesn't change, Eklund is going to get worn out or injured.

Either Georgie needs to get more starts, or the Bolts need to just buy him out and sign an ECHL vet goalie for P'cola for the rest of the season.
On New Year's Eve a group of us went down to TECO to see the Pilots play the Everblades. After the game we talked to George and he said he had been sick the last two weeks but should be getting starts again soon.

The Pilots schedule gets crazy this month so if George should be getting some starts especially with the two 3-games in 3-day weekends coming up.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:19 AM
petec1978*

Quote:
Can anyone give me a time frame as to when Evgeny Artukhin will have the all around game and be ready for a serious shot at the big club?
He'll need at least another year, probably two in the minors IMO.

-Pete Choquette

Closed Thread