HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

VAN signs UFA SEL G Joacim Eriksson ('08 PHI draft pick)

Old
06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Jack Campbell is turning out just fine. Should be in the running to be back up this year. Had a number of great years in OHL and again in AHL.
Yeah... no. The only time he posted Sv% above .900 was in a 12 game sample size in 11-12. He was bad in the OHL. Like really bad. He has been no better in the AHL, posting .905 Sv% this season. And it's not like I didn't watch him in the OHL... he looked completely lost. Not a great defense but he was letting in soft goals regularly. Very inconsistent game-to-game.

In the AHL, he split time with Cristopher Nilstorp (an atrocious goalie) and then lost his job going into playoffs. During the regular season he allowed 13 goals in 4 games against the Wolves and looked completely out of place at that level. Zero concentration, zero ability to bounce back. Last game against the Wolves he got chased a few minutes into the 2nd period.

Do you have him confused with somebody else?

Last edited by Tiranis: 06-17-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:44 AM
keslerburrows

My Flyers fan buddy used to go on and on about this guy. He was crushed when Philly lost him. So I'm happy

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I think that drafting goalies that will be attending college is a far safer bet. It gives you 4-5 years to watch them develop. If we see an HS or College goalie worth getting, then I'm fine with using a pick on them (Cannata, Schneider). However, with CHL and European goalies, you only have two years (i.e. when they're 20 and likely still 4-5 years from making any impact).
There's an acknowledged problem with development of Canadian goalies but as far as drafting goalies that will be attending college rather than the CHL, I'm not sure that it's a safer bet. Fact is how many drafted goalies that teams are not willing to give a contract to 2 years after being drafted become #1 goalies? Ya goalies take longer to develop and there are late bloomers, but I don't think the extra year or two to evaluate really does anything to change a team's mind more often than not.

Most of the time, two years after being drafted, a team either thinks there's something there or they don't. We've known about Cannata and Schneider and were high on them before they entered their 3rd year of college. You rarely have guys who fail to develop for two years in juniors or college and then suddenly surprise.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
At the rate they keep improving Cannata would be a lock for 10 straight Vezinas.
How is Cannata planning on winning all those Vezinas with Eriksson running him out of town?

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yeah... no. The only time he posted Sv% above .900 was in a 12 game sample size in 11-12. He was bad in the OHL. Like really bad. He has been no better in the AHL, posting .905 Sv% this season. And it's not like I didn't watch him in the OHL... he looked completely lost. Not a great defense but he was letting in soft goals regularly. Very inconsistent game-to-game.

In the AHL, he split time with Cristopher Nilstorp (an atrocious goalie) and then lost his job going into playoffs. During the regular season he allowed 13 goals in 4 games against the Wolves and looked completely out of place at that level. Zero concentration, zero ability to bounce back. Last game against the Wolves he got chased a few minutes into the 2nd period.

Do you have him confused with somebody else?
http://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas-...-a-view-of-the

Here's an article on the development of Jack Campbell. AHL stats don't mean much. He's been pretty good anyway. Bottom line is he's a 21 year old goalie that hasn't played more than 45 games in a season at ANY level in his life. He's still a ways off, but I don't think Dallas is dissapointed in his development at all right now. He's big, athletic and raw. I would wager he'll be an NHL regular by the time he's 23/24.

The drawbacks you describe on his play are all things that are directly related to maturity. He'll be fine. Should they have taken Fowler? Maybe, but it's too early to write Campbell off, that's for sure. The kid has as much athletic talent as I've seen in a goalie prospect.

And the guy you're calling "an atrocious goalie" is a pretty similar situation to the guy this thread is about. Check out the stats.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:42 AM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

And it's official

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks 28s
Media Release: #Canucks sign goaltender Joacim Eriksson.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
and the only long-term roster spot for the pick is if he turns into a starter.
That's what I was getting at. With a guy like J.J. Daigneault - despite him not turning out to be a great pick (expectations from being a top ten pick), he did end up with a long servicable NHL career. There isn't anywhere nearly the leeway with a goalie prospect. The "boom or bust" is even more clearly evident with goalie prospects.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
And the guy you're calling "an atrocious goalie" is a pretty similar situation to the guy this thread is about. Check out the stats.
I'd argue there's a big difference between putting up great numbers in the SEL at the age of 21 like Eriksson did and at 27 like Nilstorp did.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
http://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas-...-a-view-of-the

Here's an article on the development of Jack Campbell. AHL stats don't mean much. He's been pretty good anyway.
Well, I'm glad that 'stats don't mean much' yet you link me to an article where the sole argument to back up Campbell's progression are his stats in February. You know how he finished the season after that one good month? .894Sv%, ~2.8GAA, 6W, 6L. And he lost his job for the playoffs as a result.

This kind of 'analysis' is how Steve Mason managed to stay in the NHL for so long despite only ever having one great NHL month and then the rest of his career being at or below replacement level.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Well, I'm glad that 'stats don't mean much' yet you link me to an article where the sole argument to back up Campbell's progression are his stats in February. You know how he finished the season after that one good month? .894Sv%, ~2.8GAA, 6W, 6L. And he lost his job for the playoffs as a result.

This kind of 'analysis' is how Steve Mason managed to stay in the NHL for so long despite only ever having one great NHL month and then the rest of his career being at or below replacement level.
Wait are you telling me that the way Mason ended last year with the Flyers isn't a sign that he turned it around for good?

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:39 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Seems similar to the Eddie Lack signing, I've got nothing to complain about here

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:

The article was part of my argument, not the entirty of it. I'm telling you to forget numbers on a 21 year old goalie in the AHL. That's just common sense. His stats aren't even that bad for Christ sakes, I don't know why you can't take being dead wrong. Go ask the Stars board. They'll set you straight.

I don't care about AHL stats for a 21 year old goaltender known for his athletic ability. It's just ridiculous. Means nothing, especially when you yourself pointed out "sample sizes" in your earlier post. Now that a sample size suits you, it works?

I'm not going to belabour this point, go argue on the Stars board about him if you like. They'll shut you down quickly. He's 21 years old with 52 AHL games under his belt TOTAL, bookmark, remember this, whatever you need to do. By the time the kid is 25 he's going to be a very good goalie. You couldn't have been more wrong about it. That's OK.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:23 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
The article was part of my argument, not the entirty of it. I'm telling you to forget numbers on a 21 year old goalie in the AHL. That's just common sense. His stats aren't even that bad for Christ sakes, I don't know why you can't take being dead wrong. Go ask the Stars board. They'll set you straight.

I don't care about AHL stats for a 21 year old goaltender known for his athletic ability. It's just ridiculous. Means nothing, especially when you yourself pointed out "sample sizes" in your earlier post. Now that a sample size suits you, it works?

I'm not going to belabour this point, go argue on the Stars board about him if you like. They'll shut you down quickly. He's 21 years old with 52 AHL games under his belt TOTAL, bookmark, remember this, whatever you need to do. By the time the kid is 25 he's going to be a very good goalie. You couldn't have been more wrong about it. That's OK.
Look at his OHL numbers. Bad there too.

Lost his spot on Kitchener and traded to the Soo where he was largely crap.

John Gibson passed him and isn't looking back for the Americans.

Believe your still focussed on draft position and not actual talent.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Look at his OHL numbers. Bad there too.

Lost his spot on Kitchener and traded to the Soo where he was largely crap.

John Gibson passed him and isn't looking back for the Americans.

Believe your still focussed on draft position and not actual talent.
No. I don't care about draft position or OHL/AHL numbers for 21 year old goalies.

He's played 52 games total at the AHL level. That's not enough to judge anything for one. Secondly, AHL numbers aren't a great indicator of anything for a 21 year old goaltender. Besides, his numbers were the same as his veteran counterpart for the Stars (who had spectacular European numbers, just like the topic of this thread), I don't see them as all that bad, even if they did tell you anything about where this kid will be at 25 (they don't).

Again, same deal in the OHL. He came from USNDL, not a traditional CHL route. Played like 60 OHL games in 2 seasons. Just not enough to make a judgement on.

Forget the stats with this kid. That's not his strong suit right now. He's not where a normal 21 year old goaltender would be at this stage, because of his lack of regular playing time at every level. It's just a different path, doesn't mean he's a poor goalie or a bust.

The Stars are happy with him. Read some articles, go see what their fans are saying. He's not going to develop traditionally and this is a big season for him. But he should be in no way, shape or form written off because of his numbers at this point. He needs to mature a lot still. They consider him a big part of their future and rightfully so.

He's big, quick and athletic. He's got all the tools and barring injury is still on pace to becoming a quality NHL starter. There are more than one way to do it. Look around the league. Not every goalie was tearing up the NHL at 21. Patience is needed with this kid and that's what he'll get from the Stars.

I don't know how this turned into a Jack Campbell thread, but if him and the thread topic can do anything, it's show people that there is no formula to goaltender development.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
guys, i dont care that he does a bad job at his job. what i can tell is, hes got heart. A big ol' heart. its real big and he cares a lot. i can tell from this hes gonna be good. dont tell me every time he tries to be a goalie he does a bad job at being a goalie, that's not useful right now. whats useful is, all the things you want to be a good goalie, he has, like arms, legs, a working torso and a heart to pump them blood. i know right now those are getting in the way of each other, but imagine when he uses them to get in the way of the puck? hes gonna be good one day, as long as he learns to use them with, and not against each other

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Again, same deal in the OHL. He came from USNDL, not a traditional CHL route. Played like 60 OHL games in 2 seasons. Just not enough to make a judgement on.

Forget the stats with this kid. That's not his strong suit right now. He's not where a normal 21 year old goaltender would be at this stage, because of his lack of regular playing time at every level. It's just a different path, doesn't mean he's a poor goalie or a bust.

The Stars are happy with him. Read some articles, go see what their fans are saying. He's not going to develop traditionally and this is a big season for him. But he should be in no way, shape or form written off because of his numbers at this point. He needs to mature a lot still. They consider him a big part of their future and rightfully so.

He's big, quick and athletic. He's got all the tools and barring injury is still on pace to becoming a quality NHL starter. There are more than one way to do it. Look around the league. Not every goalie was tearing up the NHL at 21. Patience is needed with this kid and that's what he'll get from the Stars.
Lack of playing time? The guy has played 161 games in the last 3 years and it would've been even more if he hadn't lost his job in this year's playoffs.

And if you're comfortable projecting massive strides in a 21 year old's game by the time he's 25, I have no idea why you're equating Eriksson's numbers from 21 and 22 to Nilstorp's numbers from 26 and 27.

There are always late bloomers and no one's writing Campbell off, but if you think this is the kind of progress you'd hope for from a near top 10 draft pick you're crazy.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Lack of playing time? The guy has played 161 games in the last 3 years and it would've been even more if he hadn't lost his job in this year's playoffs.

And if you're comfortable projecting massive strides in a 21 year old's game by the time he's 25, I have no idea why you're equating Eriksson's numbers from 21 and 22 to Nilstorp's numbers from 26 and 27.

There are always late bloomers and no one's writing Campbell off, but if you think this is the kind of progress you'd hope for from a near top 10 draft pick you're crazy.
Again, go post your thoughts on Campbell on the Stars board and see what kind of reaction you'd get. They know what's going on with the kid, that will tell you all you need to know. Personally I trust the Stars organization, scouting reports, Stars fans and what I've seen with my own eyes, over a couple Canucks fans googling his stats.

One thing that really frustrates me about these boards. If people don't have an argument, they latch on to one little part of an entire post (Nilstorp/Ericsson) which really had nothing to do with the impetus of the point. It's annoying.

You just told me I was weighing too much on draft status and not talent, and then you throw that last line in there... Mind boggling. The end result is all that matters, and Campbell will likely be a lot better than some people around here seem to think. Enough for me though, I'd take your Campbell talk to the Stars board now, you'll learn something quick I think. He's far from a bust.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Enough for me though, I'd take your Campbell talk to the Stars board now, you'll learn something quick I think. He's far from a bust.
What will I learn from a bunch of posters who don't even watch their own AHL team? I read their boards after we traded Connauton. Updates consisted of posting his stat line rather than reports. I've seen Campbell play all 4 games against the Wolves this season. I had also seen him play about 15 times at the OHL level over the course of the two seasons. I'm sure you have too, given your strong opinion that goes contrary to his stats at every level.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
It doesn't matter how well he does, as long as he's big and athletic right?

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
It doesn't matter how well he does, as long as he's big and athletic right?
arms, legs are a plus

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
arms, legs are a plus
That's what Dallas' top notch scouting found out before they drafted him.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Castle1*

I popped in the thread to learn something about the Canucks new goalie signing but I must be in the wrong thread

Castle1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Bitz and Bites

Good signing by MG.With Luongo certain to be gone one way or another by next season and Lack's questionable status after surgery,we really need some depth in goal behind Schnieder besides Cannata and signing Honzik was'nt the answer.
I don't see Eriksson being Cory's backup,though,as he'll need time to adjust to the North American game and getting quality playing time in the AHL would be the best place for that.I think Lack is further along in his development despite missing most of last season so hopefully the missing time and surgery does'nt derail his progress and he can make the jump to the NHL next year.

Bitz and Bites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
jigsaw99

I wonder who's going to be our backup. There's a very good chance either Cannata or Eriksson beats out Lack.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
I wonder who's going to be our backup. There's a very good chance either Cannata or Eriksson beats out Lack.
? Cannata beating out Lack? Maybe if his hip has been literally destroyed and his career is over. No chance if he's healthy and recovered.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote