HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Should we trade Stastny/ROR? Or keep BIG 3 together?

View Poll Results: What to do with center situation?
Keep BIG 3 together (Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly), build team around those guys. 31 27.93%
Trade O'Reilly, Re-sign Stastny, try to get good pieces back for ROR in a trade. 8 7.21%
Trade Stastny next trade deadline or Draft for good defenseman or winger. 54 48.65%
Trade O'Reilly AND Stastny, start re-building again as Matt Duchene #1 center. 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Cobra, Seth Jones would have a 3.5 cap hit next year. If we didn't factor for it we could get an overage charge if he hit his performance bonuses. We won't sign more than one free agent, if that, imo.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
I'd trade Stastny, Jones, and get rid of Zanon and O'Brien. Draft Drouin.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

While purely academic at this point it's a pretty interesting discussion. There's no telling on what would have happened. I mean, the NHL and the NHLPA quickly amended their Memorandum of Understanding to allow the amnesty buyouts to kick in sooner to prevent Redden and Gomez from being sent home for a year. They might've stepped in and did something similar in this situation. It's really impossible to tell. Sometimes hindsight isn't 20/20.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Cobra, Seth Jones would have a 3.5 cap hit next year. If we didn't factor for it we could get an overage charge if he hit his performance bonuses. We won't sign more than one free agent, if that, imo.
I mentioned that... Since there is a cushion there it could be managed, especially if we moved one of O'Brien or Hunwick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Seth Jones's salary would look higher with a 3.5-3.7M cap hit but it would fall into the bonus cushion, Landeskog's actual cap hit is 925,000. By the 2014-15 season the cap should be back up to 70M and we could either trade D. Jones or use our second compliance buyout on him. So they could give him a chance to turn it around next season, unless someone actually wanted him this off-season in a trade.

If we needed a bit more space during next season one of Hunwick or O'Brien could be moved at that time or during this off-season as well.

I'd love to see us be this active in free-agency, but I have my doubts just like everyone else. Adding two recent Stanley Cup champions, and another veteran in Streit could do a lot for the locker room environment as well as the actual on ice product.
I also mentioned that I was skeptical they would be that aggressive in free-agency, and was just attempting to prove it's possible without sacrificing our ability to give our core players their raises. I do think it would benefit the team to have a couple Stanley Cup veterans added to the roster though. Unfortunately I don't have very much faith that they will see the value in bringing in veterans who have won in the playoffs recently, especially at the cost of being a cap team now instead of a year or two from now. It's just what I would do considering the continued up and down play of our team and how much of an impact one veteran speaking up had on the teams play as a whole.

Horton & Scuderi are established winners, and could help keep the teams up and down swings to a minimum when combined with Jiggy's voice in the locker room. Just a guess but I would bet Streit would have a good impact on EJ and the rest of our puck movers as well. So we seem to agree a bit, but I'd like to see more done.

It also proves that Stastny at his current cap hit isn't really hurting our future. Now if Stastny stays at 6.6M and O'Reilly jumps to 6.5M... Then I'd say we don't have much choice but to move one of them.

However the Avs can find that out by at least attempting to negotiate extensions for all three centers during this off-season.

(Edit: Scuderi could have a similar impact to Foote in that, maybe he wouldn't play 25 minutes a night but has two Stanley cups (Pitt, LA) is still a solid shutdown guy, and is known to be fairly vocal in the dressing room and with the media.)

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-12-2013 at 08:39 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, it's definitely safe to assume the Avs and Clagary both had no idea.

Like you though, I think it would be a pretty tough bill to sell taking a Canadian teams 1st rounder away for nothing, when they haven't provided the actual finalized CBA to the teams yet. Calgary would have fought that tooth and nail all season, and O'Reilly probably would have been caught in limbo not being allowed to play for any teams until it was resolved. Possibly by just nullifying the offer sheet and putting O'Reilly and the Avs back at square one.

Would have been one of the biggest messes in the NHL since the Lindros trade.
If that had happened the Avs would have been on the phone and had ROR traded that night having just dodged the bullet. Even if it meant taking a bit smaller package back in return.

Colorado Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No need to be aggressive about it.
It wasn't my intention to be agressive or hostile, so I'm sorry if it looked like it.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Colorado Avalanche

I thought I should bump this up. Two weeks and we might have our answer. Stastny traded? Maybe? Otherwise we might have to wait till next trade deadline, ROR will be traded.. Next two weeks will be so exciting, MacKinnon or Jones.

I would love to hear what Roy/Sakic are thinking about ROR/Stastny situation. I still don't think we should keep both, but which one to keep? I guess value-wise It would be better to trade ROR (We would get better return), Stastny has only one year left, so he's basically rental. Re-sign Stastny and trade ROR, that's how we get best value back, but ROR might be better player than Stastny, so having ROR on our team would make our team better, so what do you want? Interesting stuff and next year will be critical, we certainly can't trade both, unless we draft MacKinnon and in that case we can certainly say good bye to Stastny/ROR, maybe even both.

If on draft day we pick Mackinnon, Stastny might be traded the same day for the best offer..

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Foppa2118

I get the feeling the Avs are going into next season with all three. I think Roy wants to see how Stastny and the other two look, and won't look to make a trade until at least around December. We'll probably be wondering what they're gonna do with the 3 all the way until the deadline, and possibly up until July to see if they re-sign Staz.

If they draft Mac though, speculation will go into high gear unless they come right out and say they will be trying him at RW.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I get the feeling the Avs are going into next season with all three. I think Roy wants to see how Stastny and the other two look, and won't look to make a trade until at least around December. We'll probably be wondering what they're gonna do with the 3 all the way until the deadline, and possibly up until July to see if they re-sign Staz.

If they draft Mac though, speculation will go into high gear unless they come right out and say they will be trying him at RW.
It's the most likely scenario, but they have to have some sort of idea how this could play out.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

I voted to trade Staz for winger or dman. However...I think this should only happen if we try him on one of the wings and it doesnt work out or if we draft Mack.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:35 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I think they'll work to keep all 3 if they draft Jones, one of them will be gone if they draft MacKinnon.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I think they'll work to keep all 3 if they draft Jones, one of them will be gone if they draft MacKinnon.
Probably Stastny

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:01 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Probably Stastny
I could definitely see that, I think they'll keep whomever (between Stastny and O'Reilly) is willing to take less money.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
landesberg
p stastny

I think I may be in the minority when I'll be bummed out when Stastny gets traded lol

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
I think I may be in the minority when I'll be bummed out when Stastny gets traded lol
Nope, not the only one. I've got myself a Pre-Edge Home White Stastny Jersey that was signed the night of his last game in his rookie year

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
cgf

Keep the big 3, draft Seth, sign Scuderi, rent Vanek next season, trade or buyout Jones by next summer and re-sign Vanek. Boom.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:47 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
I think he's worth so much more to this team than what he'll get us as a rental in the trade market. I really hope we're trying to sign him to an extension.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote