HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 News & Notes

Old
05-23-2013, 08:53 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Laich on 106.7

Under Bruce players were not held accountable.

Dale not as tactical but fantastic handling momentum swings, the bench, everything. Loved playing for Dale.

Oates is super technical.
See I'm not sure what this means really. Did he suggest there were different standards for different players?

If so didn't Joe Gibbs have that too? I remember Jimmy Johnson making a statement that if some scrub fell asleep during a meeting then he'd get cut. But if Troy Aikman fell asleep he would get woken up and no big deal.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
See I'm not sure what this means really. Did he suggest there were different standards for different players?

If so didn't Joe Gibbs have that too? I remember Jimmy Johnson making a statement that if some scrub fell asleep during a meeting then he'd get cut. But if Troy Aikman fell asleep he would get woken up and no big deal.
He did not elaborate on it but seemed to play it off as a somewhat small issue. He said good things about Bruce but said too much for me to remember. Plus the regular stuff, yeah I liked Bruce - i didnt bother with.

More than bashing Bruce, he was comparing / contrasting the 3 coaches.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Mystics Messenger: Latta Named Player of the Week

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 12:33 PM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

My impression as an outsider is this:

Laich has a sense of entitlement. He believes that players who work their butts off in practice, and in games, deserve just as many (or more) opportunities as others who don't give the same effort.

The game just doesn't work that way. In the NHL, as in life, talent and skill plays a greater a role in determining opportunities than the effort one puts in. That may not seem fair, but that's the way the world works (esp. in pro sports). While I admire the effort that Laich puts in, and believe that he sets a good example for other players, I am not certain that he is a good fit for this team. I believe his attitude (as I perceive it) may create a locker room divide between the highly skilled players and the "lunch pail" type players who work their butts off but will never have the skills to be legitimate 1st or 2nd line forwards.

I have never met Laich, so I could be totally off. My opinions are based only on second-hand and third-hand comments I have heard from others associated with the team.

Last edited by KenAF: 06-17-2013 at 01:37 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
My impression as an outsider is this:

Laich has a sense of entitlement. He believes that players who work their butts off in practice, and in games, deserve just as many (or more) opportunities as others who don't give the same effort.

The game just doesn't work that way. In the NHL, as in life, talent and skill plays a greater a role in determining opportunities than the effort one puts in. That may not seem fair, but that's the away the world works (esp. in pro sports). While I admire the effort that Laich puts in, and believe that he sets a good example for other players, I am not certain that he is a good fit for this team. I believe his attitude (as I perceive it) may create a locker room divide between the highly skilled players and the "lunch pail" type players who work their butts off but will never have the skills to be legitimate 1st or 2nd line forwards.

I have never met Laich, so I could be totally off. My opinions are based only on second-hand and third-hand comments I have heard from others associated with the team.
Laich works hard and says all the right team-first things (and stops to change a tire after getting knocked out by Montreal) purely to cultivate his own image how he wants. He's at least tied for the biggest ego on the team. I'm not sure how many of the players are smart and/or attuned enough to pick up on how full of crap he is, but if enough of them are it could cause locker room problems. The whole Ovechkin situation probably also did, though. Alzner for captain.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:19 PM
txpd

wait....laich changed the tire "purely to cultivate his image..."??? seriously?

was that what tony room was thinking when he did the same thing? come on. if you think laich is an ego maniac, fine. but he saw the women and said, ah....pr. let me pop a breath mint and comb my hair first

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wait....laich changed the tire "purely to cultivate his image..."??? seriously?

was that what tony room was thinking when he did the same thing? come on. if you think laich is an ego maniac, fine. but he saw the women and said, ah....pr. let me pop a breath mint and comb my hair first
The thought process directly involved at the time is obviously more basic. He gets an emotional high from doing things consistent with his good guy whatever image. He feels like it validates that perception and makes it the reality when he does things that strengthen it. I'm sure he rationalizes his behavior and at least partially convinces himself that he was acting in genuine altruism. In terms of image-cultivation, of course he was aware that the tire-change story might find its way to Katie Carrera or someone.

Old
06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
PSUCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
The thought process directly involved at the time is obviously more basic. He gets an emotional high from doing things consistent with his good guy whatever image. He feels like it validates that perception and makes it the reality when he does things that strengthen it. I'm sure he rationalizes his behavior and at least partially convinces himself that he was acting in genuine altruism. In terms of image-cultivation, of course he was aware that the tire-change story might find its way to Katie Carrera or someone.
I have been a huge critic of Laich because of the way he plays but damn, cut the guy a break.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I have been a huge critic of Laich because of the way he plays but damn, cut the guy a break.
The way he plays is obviously related. A lot of talk and basic hard work, no grit, puck-hogging, playing worse in the playoffs.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Glad we have Laich's personal therapist on these boards. Any other Capitals players frequent your practice? I'm sure you could spill some more juicy details about the inner workings of their minds.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Glad we have Laich's personal therapist on these boards. Any other Capitals players frequent your practice? I'm sure you could spill some more juicy details about the inner workings of their minds.
My thoughts exactly. Seriously where is this guy pulling this garbage from...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
My thoughts exactly. Seriously where is this guy pulling this garbage from...?
Don't be such an ellipsis bully. It's my interpretation of his behavior. I probably made it sound grander than it is, but all I'm really saying is that he's ego-driven, selfish, and probably rationalizes his selfish actions/believes his own image. That's hardly an outlandish claim to make about, really, any person. In Laich's case I think it's pretty clear.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

It's a completely outlandush claim that's based on no logical train of thought.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Don't be such an ellipsis bully. It's my interpretation of his behavior. I probably made it sound grander than it is, but all I'm really saying is that he's ego-driven, selfish, and probably rationalizes his selfish actions/believes his own image. That's hardly an outlandish claim to make about, really, any person. In Laich's case I think it's pretty clear.
Blah blah blah... you don't have a clue of what you are talking about and are talking out your butt because you have an axe to grind with the guy for some reason. You literally are making this all up with absolutely no basis in fact...

Probably...? Based on what...? Hardly an outlandish claim...? Really...? What do you have to support these hardly outlandish claims...? What makes him so obviously ego-driven and selfish...?

Did Laich take the girl home you were planning on asking to help you put the couch in the van or something...? You are reminding me of the guy around here who hated Haar and spoke of him as if he was the second coming of Hitler.

And I'm not even a Laich fan...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Blah blah blah... you don't have a clue of what you are talking about and are talking out your butt because you have an axe to grind with the guy for some reason. You literally are making this all up with absolutely no basis in fact...

Probably...? Based on what...? Hardly an outlandish claim...? Really...? What do you have to support these hardly outlandish claims...? What makes him so obviously ego-driven and selfish...?

Did Laich take the girl home you were planning on asking to help you put the couch in the van or something...? You are reminding me of the guy around here who hated Haar and spoke of him as if he was the second coming of Hitler.

And I'm not even a Laich fan...
Calm down, brah. It's an intuitive interpretation of his behavior. NBTW is right that it's not necessarily logical. Have you really never made a judgment about what is behind another person's actions? Something that may not be their presented motive, whatever? I am sure that both of you will jump on the phrase "intuitive interpretation" and claim it means that I'm just making something up. Oh well. It's a conclusion I draw from subtle things about the way he talks about things, the way he acts, and so on. There's no argument I can give you, but I know I'm right. You're right that I dislike him, but I dislike him specifically because of this, because of BS like the tire-change. I'm aware that most people will never agree with me, but to act like my position is outrageous is ridiculous.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Did Laich take the girl home you were planning on asking to help you put the couch in the van or something...?

Bravo Buffalo Bill.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Kegger

If we are going to use a tire change (which is funny btw) as a means of evaluating one's personal behavior and then applying it to the ice, lets do this right.

First--the two women were the ones who made a big deal about this and took to Twitter about it. Not Laich. So lets assume he instead decided to drive right by them and not help them. Ask yourself that too. Does that make him/you more egotistical or less? Does that make him/you selfish or less?

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Even if he was driven to work harder/change tires by his ego, who cares? If he's doing the right thing, why do we give a **** about his motivation?

Old
06-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Even if he was driven to work harder/change tires by his ego, who cares? If he's doing the right thing, why do we give a **** about his motivation?
That's my point. Reading too much into what he did (something any of of would have done too), not to mention trying to take it one step further and applying it to on ice play.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
That's my point. Reading too much into what he did (something any of of would have done too), not to mention trying to take it one step further and applying it to on ice play.
It's pretty absurd. His on-ice tunnel vision at times is now explained away as his large ego, rather than a lack of offensive vision and tendency to play a simple game.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:01 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

When you think about it, is anything anyone does not driven by ego? Altruism is just doing what makes you feel good about yourself or not feel guilty, which in both cases is basically ego, so...

If you want to say he's trying to carefully groom a brand, more or less, and that it's all basically a facade, that might be something. He's not exactly monetizing it though so I don't see it...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
When you think about it, is anything anyone does not driven by ego? Altruism is just doing what makes you feel good about yourself or not feel guilty, which in both cases is basically ego, so...

If you want to say he's trying to carefully groom a brand, more or less, and that it's all basically a facade, that might be something. He's not exactly monetizing it though so I don't see it...
He wants the adoration and feedback, not money.

Two things: I didn't say I was basing the conclusion on the tire-change.Why it matters? Some players might be irritated by his attention-whoring chumminess with the media and stuff. Really, though, it just matters because he's given credit for being this amazing dude that he just isn't.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

What evidence do you have that he's not 'this amazing dude'?

And, as was said, he didn't take the tire-change thing to the media, the people he helped did.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What evidence do you have that he's not 'this amazing dude'?

And, as was said, he didn't take the tire-change thing to the media, the people he helped did.
I said so myself. Obviously he couldn't take it himself, but any non-retarded person would be aware that these people would be likely to post about it on twitter, tell Katie Carrera, etc. If they didn't, he still gets their praise at the time and the story to tell in his personal life.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Clearly he should have not changed the tire, as to not incidentally increase his media-driven ego. Should have left her on the side of the road with a flat. Definitely the preferable scenario.

Also the thought that a random DMV resident would be able to recognize Brooks Laich is laughable. He had no guarantee that the person he was helping was a Caps fan.