HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2013, 11:00 PM
  #26
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
I like Newel brown. he seems to have a clue about the x's and o's of PP and worked with AV before.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:12 AM
  #27
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 20,748
vCash: 500
Just for the record, Ulfie will not be coacing Modo next season and will be moving to the US to be closer to his sons and his daughter that will start college.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:16 AM
  #28
KreiMeARiver*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
AV should have a huge input in who his coaches are, but I think Leetch and/or Messier should be considered.

No, not because I'm nostalgic, because they are freakin' HOFers and two of the best players ever at their position. I think they could bring a ton to the table. Leetch certainly knows a thing or two about the PP.

That said, re: Messier, I can't imagine AV would want to deal with that powerful of a personality/ego.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:28 AM
  #29
Paulie Walnutz
Corsi? Fuhgedaboudit
 
Paulie Walnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Paulie Walnutz
Messier cannot be an assistant under AV. There'd be too much tension in the air. First losing streak and you'd have the writers speculating when Messier takes over, then you'd have the stupid fans who are still clung on '94 chanting we want Mess. Not a comfortable scenario

Paulie Walnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
  #30
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
Guy Boucher for PP coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanke View Post
Guy Boucher would be ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm echoing several others here Guy Boucher all the way.
It's really not that hard to run a power play allowing Stamkos and St. Louis to do their thing.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:40 AM
  #31
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,779
vCash: 500
The former Dallas HC could be an assistant under AV. Messier won't be on the staff. No surprise. http://www.cbc.ca:80/sports/hockey/o...nhl-draft.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:43 AM
  #32
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
AV should have a huge input in who his coaches are, but I think Leetch and/or Messier should be considered.

No, not because I'm nostalgic, because they are freakin' HOFers and two of the best players ever at their position. I think they could bring a ton to the table. Leetch certainly knows a thing or two about the PP.

That said, re: Messier, I can't imagine AV would want to deal with that powerful of a personality/ego.
Being a good player doesn't necessarily make for a good coach. In fact, it might be a detriment. You can't teach good offensive instincts like Messier and Leetch had. A good coach comes from the player sitting on the bench while the PP is there and watching, observing his whole career seeing what works and what doesn't.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:45 AM
  #33
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Clown Fiesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Being a good player doesn't necessarily make for a good coach. In fact, it might be a detriment. You can't teach good offensive instincts like Messier and Leetch had. A good coach comes from the player sitting on the bench while the PP is there and watching, observing his whole career seeing what works and what doesn't.
Exactly, not sure why people still push for it, NY media made this whole thing up basically. I don't think Messier or the team wants anything to do with the side show.

Clown Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:53 AM
  #34
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,366
vCash: 500
Great players don't make great coaches because you can't just teach natural instincts like Gretzky or Leetch have. It just doesn't register with players. (Although Adam Oates seems to be doing a pretty good job)

But usually, the talk would probably frustrate the players and make them not understand anything.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:29 PM
  #35
UlfSamuelsson
Save By Lundqvist!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 133
vCash: 428
I, for one, am all for this.

UlfSamuelsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
  #36
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Great players don't make great coaches because you can't just teach natural instincts like Gretzky or Leetch have. It just doesn't register with players. (Although Adam Oates seems to be doing a pretty good job)

But usually, the talk would probably frustrate the players and make them not understand anything.
I think if guys great former players are willing to put the time in as assistants first then the opportunity to be a good coach will be there ala Oates.

The problem is great players usually either don't want their responsibilities marginalized in any way, shape or form; don't want to be out of the spotlight even if they prove to be helpful; or simply don't want to put in the necessary work to be as good as they need to be.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
  #37
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Barry Smith, Newell Brown and Ulf Samuelsson are My 3 top choices. Spent almost year in the army with one of these guys...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:45 AM
  #38
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Barry Smith, Newell Brown and Ulf Samuelsson are My 3 top choices. Spent almost year in the army with one of these guys...
Lemme guess, it's either Smith or Brown?



Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:23 AM
  #39
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Lemme guess, it's either Smith or Brown?


Barry Smith is a grueling grunt...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  #40
KreiMeARiver*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Being a good player doesn't necessarily make for a good coach. In fact, it might be a detriment. You can't teach good offensive instincts like Messier and Leetch had. A good coach comes from the player sitting on the bench while the PP is there and watching, observing his whole career seeing what works and what doesn't.
There is a faction of our fan base that seem convinced they will be terrible coaches. In my opinion, it is based solely on the fact that they are sick of hearing about 1994, not because they have a clue on Earth what they do or don't bring to the table.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
  #41
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,779
vCash: 500
Samuelsson would be good for the Rangers D. Larry Robinson helped the Devils D become better players. Guys like Stevens,Daneyko and Driver were all veteran players but credited Larry for making them better players. If AV has to want Samuelsson who has NHL experience under Gretzky and Tippett. He also was an assistant for the Pack.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:55 AM
  #42
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
I think if guys great former players are willing to put the time in as assistants first then the opportunity to be a good coach will be there ala Oates.

The problem is great players usually either don't want their responsibilities marginalized in any way, shape or form; don't want to be out of the spotlight even if they prove to be helpful; or simply don't want to put in the necessary work to be as good as they need to be.
I don't really think that last part is true at all. The real problem is relating to players. For someone who naturally thinks the game on the level Gretzky does, it's hard to understand a guy who can't. For someone who had the physical tools Messier did, it might be hard to relate to someone whose tools are lesser.

I'm not trying to brag, but I deal with that kind of thing all the time. I'm a smart guy, and sometimes I have to forcibly remind myself that not everyone is as quick to understand things as I am. It's just a reality of existing in a world where some people have lesser abilities.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
  #43
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I don't really think that last part is true at all. The real problem is relating to players. For someone who naturally thinks the game on the level Gretzky does, it's hard to understand a guy who can't. For someone who had the physical tools Messier did, it might be hard to relate to someone whose tools are lesser.

I'm not trying to brag, but I deal with that kind of thing all the time. I'm a smart guy, and sometimes I have to forcibly remind myself that not everyone is as quick to understand things as I am. It's just a reality of existing in a world where some people have lesser abilities.
You don't think there are great players who see the grind that coaches put themselves through & say "Eh, I really don't want to be doing that?"

One example that might come to mind is Ron Francis.(And I say "might" because I don't know the whole story with Francis).

His story sounded like a guy who didn't want the daily grind of coaching put on his plate.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  #44
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
You don't think there are great players who see the grind that coaches put themselves through & say "Eh, I really don't want to be doing that?"

One example that might come to mind is Ron Francis.(And I say "might" because I don't know the whole story with Francis).

His story sounded like a guy who didn't want the daily grind of coaching put on his plate.
I thought we were talking about why great players so often fail as coaches, not about guys who decided they didn't want to be.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  #45
Zamboner
Your move, creep.
 
Zamboner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
I agree with "anybody but Ulf." I don't want Matt Cooke as a Rangers assistant in 2026 either.

Let Sully go. I think his "great work with defense" is inflated. We played a similar defensive style with Renney before he ever got here. That's more of a product of what's being taught the level below. Plus he's the last representation of the Torts era, which we're obviously trying to get away from.

Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:28 PM
  #46
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I thought we were talking about why great players so often fail as coaches, not about guys who decided they didn't want to be.
When those great players falter the 1st time as coaches, why don't they decide to pick themselves up & stay within the profession at that level?

Often times they will just disappear altogether or go into lower quality/less stressful levels of coaching. Or go to lower levels where they will have a higher profile. Why not just try to work themselves back up again?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:35 PM
  #47
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,965
vCash: 500
I'm all for having Samuelsson as an associate coach.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:40 PM
  #48
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
When those great players falter the 1st time as coaches, why don't they decide to pick themselves up & stay within the profession at that level?

Often times they will just disappear altogether or go into lower quality/less stressful levels of coaching. Or go to lower levels where they will have a higher profile. Why not just try to work themselves back up again?
I think the frustration of what I talked about is very, very difficult and very wearing. It's not a responsibilities or a spotlight thing. And it isn't a work thing (although you can work at that kind of thing). I think it really is just a realization that you can't connect with most players on the level needed to be an effective coach.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:18 PM
  #49
HockeyBasedNYC
Back-checking Center
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,456
vCash: 500
I think Ulfie is exactly what some of the D men need, maybe all of them.

I was starting to list Moore, DZ... then thought McDonagh could sure use help on the physcial side of things in front of the net to really round his game out - Even Staal and G-man in some minor senses.
I think Stralman could really benefit from him. McIlrath for sure if he shows up this season.

Perfect time for a guy like Ulfie and from what i've read about his coaching ability he should be highly sought after by the Rangers.

Sully was good here, but his time is up. I think its very important that if you change a head coach to because he was being tuned out - the whole staff has to go with him. You dont want any lingering feelings from the previous year because despite how far they got, it wasn't a positive one overall and ended pretty badly.

So I'm really more concerned about them tossing Sullivan.

Ulfie and Newell Brown.

Sign me up.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:19 AM
  #50
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Ulf was nothing like Cooke. Marchment was like Cooke.

I just want a guy that gets the job done. If Matt Cooke coaches us to a cup in 2026, who cares? Only ranger fans pick losing over winning ugly.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.