HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 08:23 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Played in a tournament final and we won 8-0. We were in the lowest division, the teams were actually evenly matched. The team we beat today beat us 3-2 on Wednesday. I had the best three games ever with an assist and several SOG. It feels great!

Old
06-16-2013, 09:09 AM
WeakTalocrural

Didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, but I went down to the Hockey Monkey superstore in NJ. Worth the 1.5 hour drive. My son got a new baseball bat, and I got myself a new stick.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Not today but recently I was named the regular goalie for Thursday night hockey which I'm happy about. Love playing hockey, love getting the chance to improve every week, love making life hell for the forwards.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakTalocrural View Post
Didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, but I went down to the Hockey Monkey superstore in NJ. Worth the 1.5 hour drive. My son got a new baseball bat, and I got myself a new stick.

Nice! I hate when they rearrange the shelves and make it difficult to find my lefty sticks again. Forest of hockey sticks.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I haven't played hockey for 9 months now.

Since the last time I played, I dreamt I was about to lace it up but spent my entire dream looking for my shin pads and jock and ended up not playing.

Last night I dreamt I was on the ice in sweat pants and an old school cooper helmet. I think I scored an empty netter.

That felt pretty good.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 50
I'm going to be able to resume light skating in about two weeks finally, and then I'll be getting myself more into things. Ill be spending the summer working out and training, and will likely be playing again sometime in September. A group of friends I've played with want me to come back as goalie, even though I usually play and like left wing. But i played goalie with them last year, and was surprisingly not bad, and I enjoyed it, and they had an issue finding someone to play goalie lately.

But I'll be taking my time getting back into things though. I had a fractured fifth metatarsal, for the record.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:46 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

Since the last time I played, I dreamt I was about to lace it up but spent my entire dream looking for my shin pads and jock and ended up not playing.

Last night I dreamt I was on the ice in sweat pants and an old school cooper helmet. I think I scored an empty netter.

That felt pretty good.
I hear you, man. I just started playing again 2 weeks ago, after I had to take an 8 month break from hockey while I was deployed. It sucked. Believe me, it feels great once you finally get back!

Old
06-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Terrible Hockey Fan

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Today, I made my return to the ice after being out for a month with a knee injury. Had an okay game; my knee didn't give me any pain but there were some movements I just shied away from doing, so I wasn't technically at 100%. I scored a goal on a nice feed from the corner with me inching into the high slot from the point and wristed it just under the goalie's glove. We ended up losing 9-2 though.

06-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quite the game last night. "Championship" of Spring league.

Our goalie caught a flat tire and ended up being 5 minutes late, so we had to borrow a goalie to start the game, and he gave up a quick goal before our guy was ready.

We get up 4-1 in the second period before giving up three unanswered goals. Lots of bounces going their way. We shoot from the point with a screen AND a tip, puck goes five hole, but hits the post. Goalie kicks out a rebound later with an open net, shot hits the post. They shot from the goal line and the puck went off the back of the goalie's head and in.

So we get through regulation and OT without a goal and do a shootout. Ref asks for five shooters per side. Their first shooter skates in, dekes, our goalie makes the save.

Somehow I'm up first for us. I've never done a shootout so I have no idea what I'm doing. Skate up, pull the puck to see if he moves (he doesn't), head dip and chop the ice to see if he drops (he doesn't), then I just give up and shoot five hole from in close. Managed to squeak through!

Ref doesn't do anything so I celebrate, because I've had refs not call my goals before when I don't react. He finally calls the goal, then says "good game" and calls out the zamboni. We ask about the five shooters...he says it was a "sudden death" shootout. Good Lord.

So I ended up with a goal and the shootout winner. Ended the season with 8g 1a in 10 games. So much for working on my passing this summer...

Old
06-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Our summer league is on hiatus for a couple of weeks while the rink redoes the ice. The the first week back, I have a wake, so I'll miss that game. It'll end up being almost a month between games for me. I think I'll have to find a drop in game or two, or I might go stir crazy!

Old
06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ref doesn't do anything so I celebrate, because I've had refs not call my goals before when I don't react. He finally calls the goal, then says "good game" and calls out the zamboni. We ask about the five shooters...he says it was a "sudden death" shootout. Good Lord.
Oh god I had this happen to my team once back in Peewee. At some tournament pretty far away, get to the championship game. Goes to a shootout, they shoot first with 3 shots each side. Tied after the 3 shots. They shoot first in round 4, and score, ref says game is over they won because it was sudden death. Our parents were flipping ****, the tournament organizer snaked his way outta the rink, it was just terrible.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Quite the game last night. "Championship" of Spring league.

Our goalie caught a flat tire and ended up being 5 minutes late, so we had to borrow a goalie to start the game, and he gave up a quick goal before our guy was ready.

We get up 4-1 in the second period before giving up three unanswered goals. Lots of bounces going their way. We shoot from the point with a screen AND a tip, puck goes five hole, but hits the post. Goalie kicks out a rebound later with an open net, shot hits the post. They shot from the goal line and the puck went off the back of the goalie's head and in.

So we get through regulation and OT without a goal and do a shootout. Ref asks for five shooters per side. Their first shooter skates in, dekes, our goalie makes the save.

Somehow I'm up first for us. I've never done a shootout so I have no idea what I'm doing. Skate up, pull the puck to see if he moves (he doesn't), head dip and chop the ice to see if he drops (he doesn't), then I just give up and shoot five hole from in close. Managed to squeak through!

So I ended up with a goal and the shootout winner. Ended the season with 8g 1a in 10 games. So much for working on my passing this summer...
I would have been pissed if I were the other team and was given the impression there would be five shooters. Unless, of course, the rules of championship OT/shootouts are written somewhere.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Kesselology
License to Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

That felt pretty good.
Wow that's insane, I thought I was the only one to get that recurring nightmare. In my dreams I've either forgotten an important piece of equipment or for some reason it's taking me an insane amount of time to get ready and I miss the game.

Old
06-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Luckily it's laid back beer league so both teams were out in the lot afterwards sharing beers.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Luckily it's laid back beer league so both teams were out in the lot afterwards sharing beers.
That's my favorite part of beer league. No matter what happens during the game, no reason people can't let it go over a cold one in the parking lot. Though I stopped drinking almost a year ago for a health kick, so my cold one would just be water.

Old
06-18-2013, 08:27 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Today I played pick-up and watched two idiots fight. During friggin' pick-up hockey.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:17 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Oh god I had this happen to my team once back in Peewee. At some tournament pretty far away, get to the championship game. Goes to a shootout, they shoot first with 3 shots each side. Tied after the 3 shots. They shoot first in round 4, and score, ref says game is over they won because it was sudden death. Our parents were flipping ****, the tournament organizer snaked his way outta the rink, it was just terrible.
Usually sudden death shootouts have the right to match...how dumb could the ref be.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:12 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Usually sudden death shootouts have the right to match...how dumb could the ref be.
Yeah it even stated in the rulebook that after the first three rounds, each team takes one shot and if only one team scores, they win. The parents were just freaking out and trying to track down the league admin, showing the rulebook to the refs and everything.

Old
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
Wow that's insane, I thought I was the only one to get that recurring nightmare. In my dreams I've either forgotten an important piece of equipment or for some reason it's taking me an insane amount of time to get ready and I miss the game.
I get those from time to time too. Mine is usually that my skate laces are a complete mess of knots and I can't get them untied.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Frankie Spankie

We lost this morning but I felt like I was part of a David Krejci goal this morning. Krejci's notorious for slowing down the play and letting things happen while the eventual goal scorer skates his ass off to get in position.

I was in the corner of the offensive zone making myself an option if my teammates on the other side wanted to wrap the puck around the boards. A teammate was at the half boards on the other side and just stood there and the defender let him stay put. Their team seemed to forget about me completely in the corner and it's like everybody but me stopped skating. I skated as hard as I could to the net knowing nobody was expecting me there. My teammate waited for me to get close then at the right time just gave me a hard pass and I banged it into the wide open net. Felt pretty sweet, almost like a play the pros would make even if all I did in the end was tip it into the open cage.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:09 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Not technically today but it was only about 8 hours ago...

I went to the adult beginner class and had a great scrimmage. I remember when I first started 15 months ago and couldn't carry a puck if my life depended upon it. Never got any SOG, and definitely never stole the puck from anyone. Nobody ever passed to me because I would never catch it and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Last night I got the puck on pretty much every single shift. 2 breakaways. 1 really, really ugly goal when I was clearing it out of our zone, just swatted at it to get it out of there, goalie came out of the net to push it away and it went through her feet and into the net. 2 SOG - and when it didn't go in, I grabbed the rebound, took it around the back of the net and made a beautiful pass to our guy who was waiting. He ended up hitting the post, but oh well...it was a beautiful play! My D actually started looking for me on the ice to make the pass, I caught the puck each time and took it into the zone. I was playing wing each shift, but when the other team got a breakaway I covered for a wayward D and ended up forcing their guy to the boards, then I stole the puck from him, came around the net and was ready for another breakaway. Then the coach blew the whistle for a line change and that was the end of that...(we sometimes change on the fly, but usually in this class it's on the whistle).

A good night for me, I've had some of my best hockey ever this week on my tournament team (see previous post above) and then my D-league team Sunday (we won 5-1 despite a very short bench) and last night.

It makes up for Monday night when we lost 7-2 at a game with atrocious reffing that had us on the PK for about 85% of the game - I'm slow and female so I don't play on the PK, which means I got maybe 4 shifts the entire night.

Last night

Old
06-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Bitter sweet day. Found out I need to wear a removable cast on my hand (similar to if you broke your wrist but extended over two fingers) for 6 weeks to allow the sagittal band I apparently ruptured two months ago to heal properly (holds middle knuckle tendon in place).

Then played two hours of 3v3 on a small rink and had a lot of nice plays. Will be wearing the cast now, but won't be starting 6 weeks until after a 3v3 tourney this weekend and our beer league game. Should be back in time for playoffs.

Just means I'll be doing a lot of leg training over the next 6 weeks.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Thesensation19

Been kind of planning it in my head for my routine tonight but wont know for sure until I hop on the train and write some stuff down.

I wont get home until 7 and the hockey game starts about 8:15pm.
I was hoping to get to a park by me and do some work outs outside today, but with that time frame it might have me just do it in my backyard and garage. Just wont be able to do as much and not as much open space but ill make do.

Basically,
start with warm ups and dynamic stretches which include jumping jacks, burpees, high jumps, kicks and punches, and getting my body overall loose.

Then I want to incorporate the following into my training today.
1) Sprints- Got this new parachute and want to do a few long distance sprints. 100m-200m stuff
2) Gymanstics- Basically body weight exercises including squats, lunges, dips, pull ups, chin ups and some joint work. Also want to do hand stands for 1 minute, 3x and try some hand stand walks. Idk if I can even do more than 1 step but ill try for a few minute.
3) Plyometrics- essentially gymnastics but i believe it should be in its own form. I want to do some plyo push ups, some lateral jumps, some long distance jumps, high jumps, lung kicks

Finish off with some ab work out and SOCCER goalie training.
***Usually play field but due to a roster space I chose to try my hand at goalie. Its been fun learning so much of the tactics and what not so I figured I work on my catching, positioning and diving.

Ill finish off with a decent cool down

Ideally-
Get the warm up and work out done in less than 45 minutes. Im crunched for time cuz i really want to watch most of the Finals game tonight.
Get the goalie training done in like 20 minutes.

All in all probably about an hour and 15 minutes and hopefully i wont miss too much of the game especially since they start late. While watching the game I will do some foam roller and static stretching and probably continue some goalie training.

In between periods if I can ill probably do some isolated movements like shoulder press with a bar and dumbbells, bicep curls and crunches.

Maybe to save time I will make my training part of my goalie training somehow. Like in game situational training.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Thesensation19

found out my pool might be open, changes a whole lot lol...

if by the time I get home and its still nice to hop in I will change my entire routine. So I need a back up plan.

Basically, same focus on gymnastics, plyometrics but I will make it shorter on the ground and try to add in some pool to that lol.

I like to do hydro based work outs.

Like, far jumps into my pool. Meaning with slight or no start I will jump as far into my pool as I can.
Handstands I will try to include off the edge of my pool and handstand push ups as much as I can do

Movements in the pool are great to with the extra and light resistance. Like chest flys, bicep curls. Sprints. Jumps out of the water. And of course laps.

Going to be a fun planning session lol.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
stocky

Played my first double header last night. The next group of guys coming on the after us, needed subs. My legs are so dead. Scored twice my first game. Made some good passes my second but was pretty gassed the whole time both sides were short a couple men. Still got to play some free hockey!

Closed Thread