HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2013, 02:51 PM
  #476
hb11xchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
If Hershey doesn't bring back Sabs then they will move on to an equally established veteran. They have always gone with a veteran guy who knows his role as a back up to help with the development of the young guys. I would be pretty surprised if Sabourin doesn't return. He said in his exit interview that he knows Grubauer would be the number 1 guy and he wants to help him develop to the best of his abilities. Why wouldn't you want a guy like that around the young netminder?

As to Grubauer he is at LEAST one year away but given the circumstances of these young goalies I wouldn't rush him until they know he is fully ready.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
  #477
hb11xchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Taffe probably used the Sweden offer as an incentive to get more $$ on his NA contract whether it's a two way deal or an AHL only. Maybe Hershey made him a decent offer?

I'm not surprised about Potulny. He just never lived up to the hype in Hershey and he can make a lot more money in the KHL then he can in NA. His situation is similar to Alex Giroux. Nothing left to accomplish in the AHL and not good enough to stay full time in the NHL, tweener.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  #478
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Looks like they've forfeited his rights by not signing Soberg. Not that it's overly surprising under the circumstances but what a crappy 2011 draft they had.
He was drafted as an 18 year old, no? Shouldn't they still have his rights?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:40 PM
  #479
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,556
vCash: 50
He had to be signed by June 1 or else he'd re-enter the draft. Here's a list of others that will unofficially re-enter. It's possible there's a transfer agreement hitch that allows them to retain his rights but given how he flaked out on Swift Current I don't think he endeared himself to Prior much.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:45 AM
  #480
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Mark French, ex-Hershey coach will coach Medvescak Zagreb (Croatian franchise in KHL) in KHL next season.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:16 AM
  #481
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
He had to be signed by June 1 or else he'd re-enter the draft. Here's a list of others that will unofficially re-enter. It's possible there's a transfer agreement hitch that allows them to retain his rights but given how he flaked out on Swift Current I don't think he endeared himself to Prior much.
BTW, I like another Norwegian G, Volden. He is considered #2 in the country (Soberg is #3). Plays in Finland. Surprised Bs didn't sign him.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:39 AM
  #482
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Taffe is not coming to Sweden, family reasons club jus announced.
He has a young family, twins who were born at the start of this past season, so it's possible something is going on family-wise. It's also possible as someone else also suggested that he got a two-way offer from someone. Wouldn't surprise me whether it was Washington/HBH or another club.

I might have missed someone else, but my tracker about last season's HBH team. I know there was some news about Kostenko, but haven't seen anything official about a contract, etc.

Mark French – KHL head coach position
Ryan Potulny – KHL Avangard Omsk
Mattias Sjogren – SEL Linkoping
Matt Pope to Denmark
Jeff Taffe signed with SEL Linkoping but contract nullified, not going

Wellar - re-signed with HBH
Brouillette - signed first NHL contract with Washington Capitals
Stoa - re-signed with Capitals
Wellman - re-signed with Capitals


Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-04-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added Wellman
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
  #483
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Mark French, ex-Hershey coach will coach Medvescak Zagreb (Croatian franchise in KHL) in KHL next season.
Wow....can honestly say I didn't see that coming. I figured he would land an NHL Assistant job this offseason. He will probably make a lot more $$$ than he did in the AHL and it's a good opportunity for him.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #484
icing
Registered User
 
icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
His family probably didn't want to move to Sweden.
Well, he should have spoken to the "government" (wife) before he signed the contract.

Unless he had a newly signed NHL contract there is no way he just can break a contract with a SEL club. Linköping let him go without any hassle so there has to be something. There are talks about illness in his family.

icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  #485
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Speaking of family, I know Mark French and his wife have young children. Moving to Croatia will certainly be different than living in Central PA.....

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:22 PM
  #486
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Well, he should have spoken to the "government" (wife) before he signed the contract.

Unless he had a newly signed NHL contract there is no way he just can break a contract with a SEL club. Linköping let him go without any hassle so there has to be something. There are talks about illness in his family.
Could be anything from a pregnancy to a family-member ill, no reason to speculate, because as you noted, the club let him out of the contract and posted an a note, which certainly makes it sound like an amicable parting.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
  #487
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 14,387
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
Speaking of family, I know Mark French and his wife have young children. Moving to Croatia will certainly be different than living in Central PA.....
Zagreb is a modern city that can offer everything a young family would want in their life. You can go ski in the winter, you're 3 hours away from the sea in the summer, the Jarun lake is in the center of the city, you have a beautiful green areas at the Bundek lake and in the Maksimir park, than there's nature park Medvednica rising above Zagreb, Zagreb's safe, clean, there are amazing towns like Samobor and it's hills (favourite weekend destination of a a lot of Zagreb's citizens for centuries) near Zagreb and as a guy who's seen a lot of the world I'm proud to call myself a citizen of Zagreb.

All in all Zagreb can offer everything you want and if you ever get a chance you shoudl visit it and teh rest of Croatia.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
  #488
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Zagreb is a modern city that can offer everything a young family would want in their life. You can go ski in the winter, you're 3 hours away from the sea in the summer, the Jarun lake is in the center of the city, you have a beautiful green areas at the Bundek lake and in the Maksimir park, than there's nature park Medvednica rising above Zagreb, Zagreb's safe, clean, there are amazing towns like Samobor and it's hills (favourite weekend destination of a a lot of Zagreb's citizens for centuries) near Zagreb and as a guy who's seen a lot of the world I'm proud to call myself a citizen of Zagreb.

All in all Zagreb can offer everything you want and if you ever get a chance you shoudl visit it and teh rest of Croatia.
That does sound nice, and a big european vacation is definitely on my bucket list. Also I was no way trying to insult anyone, so I hope that you didn't take it that way. Just thinking from a language/culture perspective it will probably be different than Hershey, which is pretty vanilla. There is lots to do, but culturally it's probably pretty different than a European city. Also the travel involved with the KHL will certainly be different than the AHL, meaning he will be on the road a lot more. Thats the part that I heard is hardest on people playing abroad. For the player/coach its business as usual. But for the families they are living in a foreign city, don't speak the langauge and the player/coach is gone more than they were before. It can be a difficult adjustment for many families. Just like I am sure it is for European players coming to N.A.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  #489
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
That does sound nice, and a big european vacation is definitely on my bucket list. Also I was no way trying to insult anyone, so I hope that you didn't take it that way. Just thinking from a language/culture perspective it will probably be different than Hershey, which is pretty vanilla. There is lots to do, but culturally it's probably pretty different than a European city. Also the travel involved with the KHL will certainly be different than the AHL, meaning he will be on the road a lot more. Thats the part that I heard is hardest on people playing abroad. For the player/coach its business as usual. But for the families they are living in a foreign city, don't speak the langauge and the player/coach is gone more than they were before. It can be a difficult adjustment for many families. Just like I am sure it is for European players coming to N.A.
His family don't need to worry about that, as 99% of Zagrebers are speaking english (almost) fluently.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:13 PM
  #490
Medo
Registered User
 
Medo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Croatia
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
Speaking of family, I know Mark French and his wife have young children. Moving to Croatia will certainly be different than living in Central PA.....
I doubt. Medveščak is a club that is extremely North American oriented. English is the 1st language at the club and almost entire squad is North American (lots of them with Croatian roots). Also, almost everyone in the country that is under 40 years old speaks good enough English. This was never an issue for the players here. He might have to get used to the travel... but they go to the places like Vladivostok just once per season so it will be doable.

Medo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:19 PM
  #491
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
I doubt. Medveščak is a club that is extremely North American oriented. English is the 1st language at the club and almost entire squad is North American (lots of them with Croatian roots). Also, almost everyone in the country that is under 40 years old speaks good enough English. This was never an issue for the players here. He might have to get used to the travel... but they go to the places like Vladivostok just once per season so it will be doable.
Thanks for the info. I learn something new every day. I knew most europeans cities speak english to some degree but I didn't realize to that extent. It sounds very similar to MOntreal where the natives can switch between French and English easily.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  #492
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty9420 View Post
Thanks for the info. I learn something new every day. I knew most europeans cities speak english to some degree but I didn't realize to that extent. It sounds very similar to MOntreal where the natives can switch between French and English easily.
Except for post-Soviet cities... even in Moscow I think you'd struggle to find someone speaking good English right away, might take you a few minutes. I have never tried though


Last edited by fedfed: 06-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:40 PM
  #493
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Zagreb is a modern city that can offer everything a young family would want in their life.
Exactly. That's the complete opposite of Central PA.


Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
  #494
Lefty9420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystlyfe View Post
exactly. That's the complete opposite of central pa.

+1000000

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM
  #495
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,334
vCash: 500
Guess it should be mentioned that Taffe signed back with Hershey today, after that whole saga.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:57 AM
  #496
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
TJ Syner re-signs with Hershey Bears

http://www.hersheybears.com/news/detail.php?id=4135

So

HBH AHL contracts for 2013-14
TJ Syner
Jeff Taffe
Patrick Wellar

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:18 PM
  #497
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,556
vCash: 50
@WaltonCaps: Hershey has called a press conference for 11:00 am tomorrow for what they are calling an important announcement. I’ll be making the trip.

Have to think they'll be announcing a new head coach. Considering the timing, with pending NHL assistant and other high profile AHL gigs still available, I'd think it's either Mann or Courville. Probably Mann but we'll see. As much as I'd like to see a more experienced, higher profile presence added you have to be wary of the potential for the job to be looked at largely as a stepping stone, too.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:02 AM
  #498
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@WaltonCaps: Hershey has called a press conference for 11:00 am tomorrow for what they are calling an important announcement. I’ll be making the trip.

Have to think they'll be announcing a new head coach. Considering the timing, with pending NHL assistant and other high profile AHL gigs still available, I'd think it's either Mann or Courville. Probably Mann but we'll see. As much as I'd like to see a more experienced, higher profile presence added you have to be wary of the potential for the job to be looked at largely as a stepping stone, too.
I had a similar reaction to the timing in terms of other positions open both NHL and AHL, but it's possible it's someone other than those two. Hershey is a top-level position at the AHL level. Some of these coaching candidates have reason to want an AHL head coaching position over an NHL asst coaching position. Another note, Toronto AHL head coach is an open position, too, and Rochester has an interim head coach. Both Courville and Mann have their pros and cons, but from my perspective they bring experience to the job than French did when he was hired.

Leone's article from last month about some of the coaching candidates


Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-18-2013 at 07:13 AM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:59 AM
  #499
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,556
vCash: 50
It's Mike Haviland. Quality hire and, again, a bit surprising since there may have been potential NHL assistant interest. Though, as you said, it's a high profile gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Some of these coaching candidates have reason to want an AHL head coaching position over an NHL asst coaching position.
No doubt. It just seemed to eliminate the likes of Gulutzan & Kleinendorst under the circumstances.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
  #500
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's Mike Haviland. Quality hire and, again, a bit surprising since there may have been potential NHL assistant interest. Though, as you said, it's a high profile gig.

No doubt. It just seemed to eliminate the likes of Gulutzan & Kleinendorst under the circumstances.
Yeah, he's a name that was definitely mentioned by some people. It's dated now, but have to admit, I'm not a fan based on his time with Norfolk, but it's a personality thing and maybe he's changed/matured. There were some issues when he left Chicago though, too, IIRC.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6363

People can't complain about staying within the org. on this one.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.