HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

All Goon Hall of Fame

Old
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Thread Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Not a "Goon". That pejorative term doesnt exist in my lexicon... no, he had a healthy penalty minute count while with SealsFans club, so I just tossed him into the mix. All of em California/Oakland Seals / Cleveland Barons. Girard could play, as could any number of the selections I and others have listed. I really dislike that word.... now, you could say "Brashears' really Gooning it up out there" but that doesnt make him a full-time non-stop Goon. Big or not, tough, gritty guys, 4th liners, very useful players capable of scoring big goals, and in most cases Ive ever encountered serious Money Players. Provided of course their not complete psych jobs who totally lose it. Schultz for example, terrific actor. Could easily be "put down" provided you didnt buy into his Rabid Dog hysterics'. Stood their gawping, stunned while he gets in the first shots. Then yer really cooked. Baked Alaska.
Thread context which uses the term "goon" as a wide sweeping broom covering all from tough guy to policeman stopping at points in between and above.

Add the likes of Simon Nolet - beat John Ferguson, Curt Bennett, Tony Featherstone, Noel Picard.

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
For anybody who has a problem with Ray, i'm a Sabres fan.
Nope. No problem with Rayzor Rob Ray. The NHL instituted the "Ray Rule" actually (tie downs for jerseys), as Rayzor there would remove not only his gloves & helmet, but so too his sweater, elbow & shoulder pads. Nothin to grab on to see? Full on A.N.I.M.A.L.... and a great guy by all accounts. Won the King Clancy Award in 1999 for his charity work in Buffalo, Western NY State.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
Joey Johnston
Bob Stewart
Paul Shmyr
Bobby Girard
Mike Christie

Leonard Elroy Frig
- Laid a smackdown on everyone from Peter McNab
to Darryl Sittler, Tiger Williams, Randy Holt & Don Kozak to Brad Gassof.
Stewie, Christie and Frig would stand up to anybody. I guess you didn't read my story on this forum about the Sunday afternoon Barons-Rangers TV game I saw in which everyone from the players on up to the broadcasters were groggy from games in another city the night before. Girard was floating up and down his wing in a daze, checking no one, and one of the Ranger announcers keyed in on this and became hysterical pointing this out every time he took the ice, to the point where he was laughing uncontrollably over the air while his broadcast partner tried to hold things together.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Stewie, Christie and Frig would stand up to anybody. I guess you didn't read my story on this forum about the Sunday afternoon Barons-Rangers TV game I saw...
No, I missed that post dangit, and great picture!... there are apparently hockey fight cards available (who knew?), so I checked into Len Frigs, Girards and the rest of the Seals/Barons "Bouts" over the years. And ya, sure enough, my Man Leonard was no shrinking violet. Absolutely stood up for himself & his team mates. Surprising to see he took on Sittler (I dont really recall Darryl being much of a fighter), and from what I read, delivered a bit of a win, then later, Tiger Williams had a go at him. Williams then challenged by Girard. On & on. Fun stuff.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Nope. No problem with Rayzor Rob Ray. The NHL instituted the "Ray Rule" actually (tie downs for jerseys), as Rayzor there would remove not only his gloves & helmet, but so too his sweater, elbow & shoulder pads. Nothin to grab on to see? Full on A.N.I.M.A.L.... and a great guy by all accounts. Won the King Clancy Award in 1999 for his charity work in Buffalo, Western NY State.
I thought he won the clancy for feeding that fan with his fists

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Bexlyspeed

no Gino Odjick?

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I thought he won the clancy for feeding that fan with his fists
... Ever seen a written version of The Code Hobnobs? Very few copies exist, but I found one. Quite lengthy, so Ive just pulled a few bits & pieces out for your edification & hopefully entertainment....

Dear Enforcer,

Welcome to the NHL. In your role as Tough Guy, you will be expected to conduct yourself according to a traditional set of rules & procedures/protocols. We call them "The Code", the rules we live buy.

Please read The Code carefully and follow at all times.

Brendan Shanahan

Weight Classes; players shall be divided into the following wight classes in descending order of toughness:

* Heavy Weight
* Cruiser Weight
* Middle Weight
* Light Weight
* Doug Weight

Choosing an Opponent; The Code requires you fight within your Weight Class, for example if your a Heavy Weight:

* Another Heavy Weight
* A Cruiser Weight who has instigated a confrontation
* A Light Weight who has attempted to injure a team mate
* An Over Weight Flyers fan who has fallen into the Penalty Box

Rules of Engagement; Any of these phrases when spoken by an opponent shall be construed as an Invitation to Fight:

* Lets Go
* Wanna Drop Em?
* Would you like to hear a detailed explanation of my Fantasy Draft?
* Whoa, so, like, this is Canada's Team?

When the Fight is Over;

* When the Linesmen wade in making an effort to intervene
* One or both players fall to the ice
* You hear your opponents Trainer saying "look Pal, stop wailing on my guy here for a few seconds while we load him onto the stretcher"....

Theres plenty more, but its Top Secret stuff. Pain of death....

Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Definitely Nilan. 3043 PIM in 688 games.

Go and watch The Last Gladiators if you haven't seen it yet, he has quite the story.

What about Shane Churla? 2301 PIM in 488 games.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
To use the example in the first post: If Dave Schultz wasn't on the Flyers, he could've easily been replaced by somebody else in that role. Bobby Clarke couldn't be replaced.

It's tough to judge what qualifies a player as a goon rather than a good player who could also fight. Every player has some value beyond their fighting, where do you draw the line. If you're going to honour fighters, someone shouldn't be disqualified just because they were also a great player. Take the 70s for example: Gillies and Robinson were great players, but also more than held their own in fights against the toughest players of that era. So they deserve to be thought of among the greatest fighters of their time, even if they weren't goons.

If there was a Hall for this, I'd prefer it be called the Fighter Hall of Fame rather than the goon one. Where players are only judged on their fighting, regardless of whether they were a superstar or a marginal 4th-liner.

Any Hall has to start its inductions with the early pioneers of their field, so for the first four inductees in a Fighter Hall of Fame, I would nominate:

Sprague Cleghorn
Joe Hall
Eddie Shore
Red Horner

Is there anyone else from the pre-O6 era who would be a better choice than any of them? Hooley Smith maybe?
Sprague Cleghorn was the first guy that came to mind, on top of the others you mentioned how about Cleghorns partner Billy Coutu?

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Sprague Cleghorn was the first guy that came to mind, on top of the others you mentioned how about Cleghorns partner Billy Coutu?
Ya, that guy for sure belongs on the list. Got banned for life by the NHL for attacking a Ref & then tackling a Linesman while playing for Boston. It was partially rescinded & he played in the CAHL, then went on to Coach for some time thereafter. Never did play in the NHL again though. He'd earlier been with the Habs, and upon being traded to the Bruins in his first practice, BodySlams none other than Eddie Shore into the boards, and either Billy's forehead or stick somehow connected with Eddies ear severing most of it clean off.... so Eddie, he staggers from clinic to clinic with his ear in his pocket looking for someone to sew it back on, all recommending they just finish the job and cut off what littles left.... Anyhoo, finally finds someone willing, and without the aide of anesthetics and while holding a vanity mirror up to watch the work in progress, proceeds to tell the surgeon how to do his job...

Old
06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

My first 5 inductees would be:

1. Bob Probert - The toughest fighter in NHL history.

2. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz - Leader of the famed "Broad Street Bullies" with incredible mystique.

3. Dave "Tiger" Williams - Similar to Schultz as in he was an icon of goonery during the golden years of NHL pugilism.

4. Stu "Grim Reaper" Grimson - Big, mean and scary. Legendary footage of him down to his ripped t-shirt chasing Maple Leafs all over the ice will remain atop NHL goon folklore.

5. Dave "Cement Head" Semenko - The name speaks for itself.

Next on deck.....

Chris Nilan, John Ferguson, Terry O'Reilly, Tie Domi, Joe Kocur, Marty McSorely, Tony Twist, Dave Brown, Chris Simon, John Kordic......

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

A lot of good names already mentioned. A couple more, not first balloters, but worthy of eventual induction...

Jim McKenzie
Craig Coxe
Curt Fraser
Dave Richter
Basil McRae
Lyle Odelein

Some props too for a few smaller guys who could throw them...

Mike Keane
Scott Walker
Ronnie Stern
Jeff Odgers
Ian Laperriere

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Peter9

John Ferguson was not a goon. He was a good fighter, he didn't back down from anyone, he stood up for his teammates. Howie Young was the first goon. A goon is a player whose main attribute is that he engages in unbridled violence. He starts fights merely for the sake of stirring things up and as a tactic that substitutes for skill. Not every player who has size, strength and fighting ability that he is not reluctant to use when necessary is a goon. If my definition is too imprecise, too vague, let me borrow what the late Justice Potter Stewart said with respect to hard-core obscenity: I know it (goonery) when I see it.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:45 AM
gudzilla

what about paul laus? he played a major role in the early years of panthers and fought 24/7

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
A lot of good names already mentioned. A couple more, not first balloters, but worthy of eventual induction...

Jim McKenzie
Craig Coxe
Curt Fraser
Dave Richter
Basil McRae
Lyle Odelein
Some other nasties.....

Behn Wilson
The Roberge Brothers (Mario and Serge)
Darin Kimble
Todd Ewen
Dan Kordic
Peter Worrell
Francois Leroux
Tim Hunter
Derek Boogaard
Gino Odjick
Nick Fotiu
Troy Crowder
Steve Durbano
Willi Plett
Georges Laraque
Sandy McCarthy
Jim Kyte
Glen Cochrane
Mick Vukota
Mike Peluso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Some props too for a few smaller guys who could throw them...

Mike Keane
Scott Walker
Ronnie Stern
Jeff Odgers
Ian Laperriere
Craig Berube
Wendel Clark
Jay Miller
Mel Bridgman
Daniel Lacroix
Brad May
Rick Tocchet

Old
06-14-2013, 08:21 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Well, if were talking policemen, Larry Robinson has to be included. Pounded Schultz in the the 76 finals and then went unchallenged until 1984 when Milbury actually fought him to a draw. Even Messier in the 81 playoffs didn't want a piece of him, choosing to wave his stick at Robinson in fear instead.
Robinson had 13 fights after the Schultz fight before he fought Milbury, including a loss to Dave Hutchinson that Ken Dryden in The Game describes as deflating to the entire Canadiens team.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Policeman might be the more appropriate term. A third liner who keeps the other team honest and keeps them from taking liberties from the stars on his team, thus opening more ice for them.... Bobby Schmautz
Say who?

BobbyAwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Goons are not policemen or tough players. Goons are animals; nuke bombs solely used to enforce, intimidate, pound, brutalize and wreak havoc on their opponent. Robinson was FAR FROM a goon.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Other names worth mentioning... (while they didn't fight as often back then these guys struck terror into the opposition)

Ted Green
John Ferguson
Battleship Kelly
Dave Schultz
Clark Gilles
Bob Nystrom
John Wensick
Stan Jonathan
Pierre Bouchard

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:04 AM
yankeecpt15

the youth is showing on this thread......Steve Durbano and half of the Birmingham Bulls

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:10 AM
pdd

Quote:
... Ever seen a written version of The Code Hobnobs? Very few copies exist, but I found one. Quite lengthy, so Ive just pulled a few bits & pieces out for your edification & hopefully entertainment....

Dear Enforcer,

Welcome to the NHL. In your role as Tough Guy, you will be expected to conduct yourself according to a traditional set of rules & procedures/protocols. We call them "The Code", the rules we live buy.

Please read The Code carefully and follow at all times.

Brendan Shanahan

Weight Classes; players shall be divided into the following wight classes in descending order of toughness:

* Heavy Weight
* Cruiser Weight
* Middle Weight
* Light Weight
* Doug Weight

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Ofuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 View Post
the youth is showing on this thread......Steve Durbano and half of the Birmingham Bulls
Finally someone who gets the thread. Zero talent. Full Goon. I knew Steve and he would be disappointed if he knew that it had taken this long for him and the Bulls to be mentioned.

Ofuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Probert wasn't a goon
He could actually play. Same with domi
Laraque mcgratyon etc are goons

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:48 PM