HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

View Poll Results: Bridge contract
Bridge contract was a smart deal. It was a good move for both parties 107 54.04%
Should have signed him long term (likely cheaper) when we had the chance. Bit of a blunder by MB. 91 45.96%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

vCash: 500
Easy to say now that he had that great season, could be a different story had he had that big contract early. Bridge was the smart move. When it'll be time for him to cash in, give him the money he deserves, therefore a lot.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So are you in favour of every kid holding out as well? Because every kid who is a star player at the end of their ELC wants a long term deal and they'll holdout to try and get it.
Not a chance, however, I am in favour, of making sure the inmates realize they don't run the organization...the hockey people do, so if the team wants a bridge contract for all, and that's a policy of sorts, so be it....the only players who do not need to be bridged would be a Crosby type of player, and we all know how many of those come along every 20 yrs or so...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Not a chance, however, I am in favour, of making sure the inmates realize they don't run the organization...the hockey people do, so if the team wants a bridge contract for all, and that's a policy of sorts, so be it....the only players who do not need to be bridged would be a Crosby type of player, and we all know how many of those come along every 20 yrs or so...
The thing is, PK is a Crosby type of player for Dmen. And enough of this BS about kids trying to run the organization. The guy wants to commit to a long term deal, fans whine about FAs never wanting to come here, about players never wanting to commit to long term deals unless grossly overpaid.
Now there's a young player wanting long years and seeing how he's RFA his power to negotiate huge dollars is limited. So what do those fan say? Screw him, sign him short term. Let him prove more, and let's keep overpaying those over the hill FAs.
Smart, smart thinking.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The thing is, PK is a Crosby type of player for Dmen. And enough of this BS about kids trying to run the organization. The guy wants to commit to a long term deal, fans whine about FAs never wanting to come here, about players never wanting to commit to long term deals unless grossly overpaid.
Now there's a young player wanting long years and seeing how he's RFA his power to negotiate huge dollars is limited. So what do those fan say? Screw him, sign him short term. Let him prove more, and let's keep overpaying those over the hill FAs.
Smart, smart thinking.
you're kidding right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Unless 29 other teams adopt the same approach the inmates will always want the big contracts as soon as they can. If Galchenyuk puts up 70+ pts he will want a long term deal. If we don't give it to him then there's a good chance that he holds out. I'd rather it not become a pattern we repeat with all our young players.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Unless 29 other teams adopt the same approach the inmates will always want the big contracts as soon as they can. If Galchenyuk puts up 70+ pts he will want a long term deal. If we don't give it to him then there's a good chance that he holds out. I'd rather it not become a pattern we repeat with all our young players.
yes, and that time is UFA years.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
yes, and that time is UFA years.
So why did Jamie Benn holdout and get his long term deal? Galchenyuk is not going to care what PK settled for he's going to look at guys like Benn, Skinner, Seguin, Eberle etc... and demand the same. If we are offering 2 years at under 3m per then he's going to hold out.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
So why did Jamie Benn holdout and get his long term deal? Galchenyuk is not going to care what PK settled for he's going to look at guys like Benn, Skinner, Seguin, Eberle etc... and demand the same. If we are offering 2 years at under 3m per then he's going to hold out.
Galchy will need to put up serious numbers to be in that league of young player, not that he was far off this season but you get what I'm saying.

In order for him to cash in by the third year of his ELC he's going to have to become one of our Top 2 centers, IMO.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
So be it...let them hold out...lose a season, you only hurt yourself in the long run...you never get that money back, never.

Every organization is different, but if more of them stood up to the agents and their clients, it would make things overall, better for all.

The trick is, to trade these types of guys before it comes to that...it was good on PK and his family, who recognized, his payday would come, sign a deal and go play...and guess where he is heading...for a huge payday!! His family was right!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:45 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
why would he throw 6 Mil away ?

Old
06-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Galchy will need to put up serious numbers to be in that league of young player, not that he was far off this season but you get what I'm saying.

In order for him to cash in by the third year of his ELC he's going to have to become one of our Top 2 centers, IMO.
Agreed he'll need to put up at least one real good season. But he's certainly capable of doing that.

Quote:
So be it...let them hold out...lose a season, you only hurt yourself in the long run...you never get that money back, never.

Every organization is different, but if more of them stood up to the agents and their clients, it would make things overall, better for all.

The trick is, to trade these types of guys before it comes to that...it was good on PK and his family, who recognized, his payday would come, sign a deal and go play...and guess where he is heading...for a huge payday!! His family was right!!
I'm sure it would be better for teams if all teams enforced a bridge contract policy but the fact is they don't. If every star player we develop looks around the league and figures they are getting jipped it's not good. If they holdout or we are forced to trade them then that's even worse.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
why would he throw 6 Mil away ?
Whose throwing away 6m? Benn made more money because of his holdout, O'Reilly probably did as well. And if Philly did offer sheet Subban as was rumored PK could've cashed in as well.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:59 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Whose throwing away 6m? Benn made more money because of his holdout, O'Reilly probably did as well. And if Philly did offer sheet Subban as was rumored PK could've cashed in as well.
in Habsland, no one made more last season because of a holdout, so the risk does exist, he could very well not make any $ by holding out.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
in Habsland, no one made more last season because of a holdout, so the risk does exist, he could very well not make any $ by holding out.
Seriously how much money do you think he lost out on? According to cap geek he lost a couple hundred grand. And since it's possible that MB upped his offer slightly during the holdout it's possible he made money as well.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:15 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Seriously how much money do you think he lost out on? According to cap geek he lost a couple hundred grand. And since it's possible that MB upped his offer slightly during the holdout it's possible he made money as well.
he probably didnt make/lost much, he only missed a few games afterall...

I'd bet holding out wasnt worth it for P.K... the first year of his bridge contract was a half season (this season), so whatever he had signed for, his first year was going to be cut in half anyway, so to speak.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
I'm sure it would be better for teams if all teams enforced a bridge contract policy but the fact is they don't. If every star player we develop looks around the league and figures they are getting jipped it's not good. If they holdout or we are forced to trade them then that's even worse.
I'm sure it wouldn't be better for most teams so I'm sure they will have nothing to do with it. Not only that, any agreement of such a thing wouldn't be tolerated legally, if it was found out about.

I'm not going to get into a long-winded explanation but take a look at the Top 5 draft picks each year for the past 7 years or so and most of them didn't get a bridge deal unless they were very mediocre. Most teams were happy to pay a lower cap hit to lock a player in for the next 6 years or so after their ELC.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:55 AM
BJCOLLINS

PK's next contract? Extend now or holdout 14/15

IMHO PK & his agent will be looking to break the bank....7-7.5 mil and maybe more especially if they think they were lowballed during last years negotiations. Ideally for the Habs, 8 years 50 million or 6.25 annually for a Norris D may be the best we could hope for.

BTW, I would trade PK for the Nathan MacKinnon pick straight up...we would get another stud C and avoid the whole messy contract issue if it was possible.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:02 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Really? Trade the Norris trophy winner for a guy that has not been drafted just to avoid negotiating another contract? Ya that's how you build a team...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
IMHO PK & his agent will be looking to break the bank....7-7.5 mil and maybe more especially if they think they were lowballed during last years negotiations. Ideally for the Habs, 8 years 50 million or 6.25 annually for a Norris D may be the best we could hope for.

BTW, I would trade PK for the Nathan MacKinnon pick straight up...we would get another stud C and avoid the whole messy contract issue if it was possible.
I'd wait a bit. His value is at his highest right now. I'd make sure he continues developing his maturity on and off the ice before cashing in the big check.

And we have to keep Subban... It's clear now that he's a key player for years to come and you just can't replace a guy like that. His next contract should be easy to negotiate... He's a top d, he's young, and he's a Norris winner. He'll get Weber and Doughty money for 6 to 8 years...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:09 AM
Gally11

Ideally we can get him at price cap hit but longer. 6.5 over 7 or 8.. We'll see if he trully believes Price is best goalie in league

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:17 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Really? Trade the Norris trophy winner for a guy that has not been drafted just to avoid negotiating another contract? Ya that's how you build a team...
I would be hoping that Florida felt the same way.......I like PK he's a very good PMD, skates well and has a good shot on the pp. I know its hard to accurately project the potential of prospects however when you look at a winning lineup Vs the Habs....down the middle we are small, soft & thin. IMHO we need to build on the AG pick from last year.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Did that just happen? Did I just read this?

Mods, we need a thread mop up on aisle 3

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
danyhabsfan

I would wait until next season is over.

I dont think he will maintain a 74 points pace next year.

I think he'll problably have 55 points with bigger responsability defensively.

That being said I wouldnt trade him

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:04 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I would be hoping that Florida felt the same way.......I like PK he's a very good PMD, skates well and has a good shot on the pp. I know its hard to accurately project the potential of prospects however when you look at a winning lineup Vs the Habs....down the middle we are small, soft & thin. IMHO we need to build on the AG pick from last year.
And Nathan MacKinnon, all barely 6 feet and 180 lbs of him, will help this?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Gally11

We have Galchenyuk and Eller as up and coming good young centers.. How many do we need give me a big gritty power forward scoring winger now please.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote