HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official FC Edmonton 2013 NASL Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2013, 09:53 PM
  #51
chrisj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
The season this year is split between spring (April - June) and summer/fall (August - October). I believe the primary reason is that the New York Cosmo's start play in August (I'm not sure why they couldn't in April...)

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:00 AM
  #52
Trizent
Registered User
 
Trizent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
There were lots of people sitting on the other side of the stadium. I'm sure there would have been way more people if it wasn't for the chances of rain, which never happened during the game.
I just question the team claiming near sellout and then 30-40% of the people don't show up because of rain? I don't believe their claim I guess was my point; unless they are counting the free tickets that are out there.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
  #53
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,441
vCash: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
I just question the team claiming near sellout and then 30-40% of the people don't show up because of rain? I don't believe their claim I guess was my point; unless they are counting the free tickets that are out there.
Well technically you can sellout a show and still not have anyone show up. The NHL doesn't count actually butts in the seats either. Something they were warned about when claiming they had such good ticket sales in some of the smaller markets.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:53 PM
  #54
stevieeatworld
Registered User
 
stevieeatworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Long time no update!

The Eddies are currently 1-2-1 in the Fall season with a game coming up this weekend against the New York Cosmos!



stevieeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:10 PM
  #55
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieeatworld View Post
Long time no update!

The Eddies are currently 1-2-1 in the Fall season with a game coming up this weekend against the New York Cosmos!


haha

Not quite the verve, cache, or excitement that name used to elicit.

Those were good times in the former NASL. Playing at Commonwealth and against the big clubs.

Might be able to make it to this one.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:25 PM
  #56
chrisj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
I've been impressed with the FC Edmonton product this year - especially in the fall season. Some fun games of late. If Fath doesn't give up too early and they keep building, they might be able to have some success attendance wise.

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 03:22 AM
  #57
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 500
i'd like to watch this game. is streaming available?

edit: wow, the Cosmos do even have European champion Marcos Senna. interesting.


Last edited by Comrade Blunderbore: 08-29-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:41 AM
  #58
stevieeatworld
Registered User
 
stevieeatworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
haha

Not quite the verve, cache, or excitement that name used to elicit.

Those were good times in the former NASL. Playing at Commonwealth and against the big clubs.

Might be able to make it to this one.
Wish I would of seen a few of those games. I'm going to spend the day watching highlights on youtube. I wonder if The Eddies will be wearing the throw back Driller jerseys this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I've been impressed with the FC Edmonton product this year - especially in the fall season. Some fun games of late. If Fath doesn't give up too early and they keep building, they might be able to have some success attendance wise.
I dont see fath ever really throwing in the towell. Especially after he just sank half a million into the new seats at Clarke. If he doesn't make his money back in ticket/merch sales im sure he will make some back in transfer fees and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
i'd like to watch this game. is streaming available?

edit: wow, the Cosmos do even have European champion Marcos Senna. interesting.
All games can be streamed at NASL.com on gameday!


Last edited by stevieeatworld: 08-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
stevieeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:55 PM
  #59
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieeatworld View Post
Wish I would of seen a few of those games. I'm going to spend the day watching highlights on youtube. I wonder if The Eddies will be wearing the throw back Driller jerseys this weekend.


!
They were interesting and heady times for soccer here and in NA. With teams like the fabled Cosmos actually playing here. But as part of league play. Imagine the excitement of the LA galaxy coming to town only more often.

The Drillers were a Dutch modeled and stocked club, but without the typical offensive verve one would find on such a club. They had trouble scoring on the big pitch and were better defensively afairk. Lodeweges played for quite awhile Kai Haskaavi (sp) as well. They had a few apparent name players but that had some trouble producing. My own take was that the Drillers reminded me of the before Gretzky Oilers of the WHA. A sometimes solid club on backend that had decent work ethic and would play a reserved game and make it difficult for opponents with more finish to get results.

What was interesting is that the same drillers club that had difficulty offensively, and that had trouble generating scoring chances on the big pitch were quite exciting, agressive, and competitive on the small indoor NASL circuit where they performed very well.

Drillers at the time were front page news at least in the Edmonton Sun, the new upstart paper, which treated the Drillers to full coverage from the outset. Really at the time, with the Oilers still being in the WHA, and the Esks being of course in the CFL, the Drillers were the only home based team to be in the big leagues. (NA version anyway) The view was the majors in a sense had come to town and thats how it was perceived. That generated a lot of excitement on its own as the NASL was perceived differently. As soon as the Oilers entered the big league NHL that advantage was gone.

Interesting times and so much changes. It being sad of course what happened to that dream and ultimately the whole NASL that fizzled out. America just wasn't ready and didn't have enough homegrown talent. That ultimately is what killed the NASL. Americans are more prone to viewing and following american athletes. So the current MLS version has a better balance.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:10 PM
  #60
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbore View Post
i'd like to watch this game. is streaming available?

edit: wow, the Cosmos do even have European champion Marcos Senna. interesting.
It will be live on The Score.....or Sportsnet 360.....whatever the hell it's called these days

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 07:54 PM
  #61
stevieeatworld
Registered User
 
stevieeatworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Drillers at the time were front page news at least in the Edmonton Sun, the new upstart paper, which treated the Drillers to full coverage from the outset. Really at the time, with the Oilers still being in the WHA, and the Esks being of course in the CFL, the Drillers were the only home based team to be in the big leagues. (NA version anyway) The view was the majors in a sense had come to town and thats how it was perceived. That generated a lot of excitement on its own as the NASL was perceived differently. As soon as the Oilers entered the big league NHL that advantage was gone.

Interesting times and so much changes. It being sad of course what happened to that dream and ultimately the whole NASL that fizzled out. America just wasn't ready and didn't have enough homegrown talent. That ultimately is what killed the NASL. Americans are more prone to viewing and following american athletes. So the current MLS version has a better balance.
This would have been a blast to witness. cant believe its taken soccer almost 30 years to catch back up to what it once was in USA/Canada.

If you are at the game tomorrow come on by section 107 (ESG) introduce yourself and ill buy you a beer!

stevieeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 09:12 PM
  #62
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
^^^Do what he says! And for everyone else as well.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 06:55 AM
  #63
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
FC EDMONTON 1-1 NEW YORK COSMOS

Highlights

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 08:00 AM
  #64
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Hard done by on that equalizer, call could have gone either way really.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 05:04 PM
  #65
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
That was a horrible call. The ball clearly didn't touch Watson's hand. It actually went up and hit him in the shoulder area. Sheena Dickson has made some very bad calls.

Besides that. 3200 people isn't a bad of a crowd so it was a pretty good atmosphere.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.