HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

What did Chicago do to get back to the SCF that the Penguins didn't?

Old
06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
Healthy Crosby, better goaltender and defense, or perhaps team defense.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktron View Post
Has anyone said support?

Every time I watch the Hawks, if one Hawk goes down, there's another one to push it in deep. If one Hawk fails to clear, there's two Hawks to make sure the Bruins are covered and push it out of their zone.

Defense was good the last two games, but their offence seemed to run by one person, instead of the four others on the team.
Bylsma often states that the way to beat the trap is "stretching the zone". The complete opposite of puck support.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Bylsma often states that the way to beat the trap is "stretching the zone". The complete opposite of puck support.
And his "system" worked real well.

I hope to see him adapt in the future since he's signed for two more years.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
MtlPenFan

Anyone watched the last 6 periods?

Sometimes its okay to admit you lost to a better team.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:57 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

Yeah not feeling so bad Chicago better wake up or this is over in 5.

redsono93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:08 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Yeah not feeling so bad Chicago better wake up or this is over in 5.
Not that I was happy with DB, but I could easily argue that after 3 games, the Pens actually played better than the 'Hawks have through 3. And that includes the game 2 blowout.

Teams have to start accepting that this isn't immediately post lockout. We're back to wars of attrition where you have to simply wait for your chances like the more "defensive" team is doing.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Not that I was happy with DB, but I could easily argue that after 3 games, the Pens actually played better than the 'Hawks have through 3. And that includes the game 2 blowout.

Teams have to start accepting that this isn't immediately post lockout. We're back to wars of attrition where you have to simply wait for your chances like the more "defensive" team is doing.
I can agree with some parts of this. Pens special teams played hands on better than Chicago.

One thing for sure, clutch and grab hockey is back. It just has to be done the right way.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:16 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:20 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Yea. This isn't sour grapes, I don't begrudge Boston doing what they are doing, it's smart, but why is the NHL going back to this? I like hitting, but I also liked the moves they made post-lockout. Find a middle ground.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:24 PM
KHstrike

A lot of the talk that the Hawks have more depth scoring than the Pens... I kind of agree with that, but who would've thought Bickell would have even half as many goals as he has right now? He's reeeaaally stepped up while none of the Pens bottom 6 did.

KHstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:43 PM
H382

vCash: 564
Hey look at that... The Hawks board looks an awful lot like the Pens board did a week or so ago.. Can't score, fire the coach, blah blah..

H382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHstrike View Post
A lot of the talk that the Hawks have more depth scoring than the Pens... I kind of agree with that, but who would've thought Bickell would have even half as many goals as he has right now? He's reeeaaally stepped up while none of the Pens bottom 6 did.
Bickell isn't a bottom 6er, so...

Interesting that the Hawks are having as much trouble scoring as we did outside of that first game where they got all the breaks we never sniffed...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

If this is how the NHL is going, then our coach had better adapt and start a version of the trap, including clutching and grabbing and trapping. Get ready to bore viewers to sleep though and lose fans. If the NHL were smart they would reward skill, but instead of goal scoring the NHL wants to make tackling players and 1-0 games the way that they sell games. Sounds like a losing strategy to me.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:20 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I doubt the league's going to worry about the trap alienating fans while they break ratings records.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
I doubt the league's going to worry about the trap alienating fans while they break ratings records.
Breaking their own ratings records based on the finals being played by 2 of it's biggest markets.....not to mention, the NHL never had good ratings. All you need to know about the NHL ratings is that it's the finals, and the games are on NBC's second station! All the other major sports have their finals on the networks' primary station!

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:01 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Boston is one triple OT goal away from being up 3-0 in this series. Who knows, maybe if we had an ounce of puck luck and win Game 3 in double OT, we get our legs under us and win Game 4 as well.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:51 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Also, Jonathan Toews has 1 goal in 20 playoff games. How does that happen?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

We need to turn ourselves into a defence-first trapping team and start filling out our team to play that style. Far less talented teams have had success using it.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:30 AM
Milliardo

This is getting ridiculous, you can blame anyone but Vokound and ouy D for the series loss against Boston (Game two everybody crapped the bed). If you can't even score a single goal, you're not going to win a singe game in the playoffs, it's that simple. Our offense clearly blew it. Not one of our star players got a point, not one. That says it all. And all the other series have absolutely nothing to do with the Boston series. It doens't matter how good our pp was or how many goals we scored before, against Boston, our offense and our pp sucked, period.

And yes, sometimes the opposing team is just better, that doesn't mean everything is wrong on our side and we need to blow eveything up.

Last edited by Milliardo: 06-18-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:24 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
If this is how the NHL is going, then our coach had better adapt and start a version of the trap, including clutching and grabbing and trapping. Get ready to bore viewers to sleep though and lose fans. If the NHL were smart they would reward skill, but instead of goal scoring the NHL wants to make tackling players and 1-0 games the way that they sell games. Sounds like a losing strategy to me.
I would also strongly consider playing Malkin and Crosby together somewhat regularly.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:49 AM
vodeni

wait until the next year PO everyone will follow Bruins example, expect even tighter games in the early rounds, better get used to it. Two, by all accounts offensive ppowerhouses, cannot score against Boston - get those Toronto tapes quickly....

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
shizno

Quote:
Are they? I heard NBC ratings have plummetted since the 2nd round

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
To a degree he's right and to a degree he's wrong. IMO you beat the trap with transition. If you can get pucks while the other team is attacking and have structure to turn plays around quick, you can beat the trap before it gets a chance to set up.

The torpedo system (2-2-1) and its variations are made to beat the trap. So if you get a puck in the defensive zone you wing it around the boards because you know support will be there. Then he chips it up to the torpedo on the same side and those torpedoes just run and gun up the ice. Once a team figures that out, which is usually about 10 mins, you have to have your weak side players support the middle of the ice, the mid ice player chips to the middle and plays come up the other side. Or that mid ice player can reverse it back to the 1 to come up the other side.

IMO the key is having the weak side support the middle of the ice because your not stretching a pass to one player driving into a collapsing defense. IMO the Pens do that far to often and just throw a lame wrister on net without a center drive or net support.

I'm not sure what happened to the Pens. They used to be all about zone time, turning defensemen around and getting pucks to the end boards. Maybe that went with Yeo but its sorely missed.

Another thing is why would any team just skate right into a collapsing defense. Just take pucks into the corners and get quality zone time. The Pens make the net seem like a vortex sucking in pucks, offense and souls.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:

I admitted it before the series was over. They were the better all-around team and better built for the playoffs. Simple as that. That said we could've done more to compete and take a game or two from that better team, but we didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Yea. This isn't sour grapes, I don't begrudge Boston doing what they are doing, it's smart, but why is the NHL going back to this? I like hitting, but I also liked the moves they made post-lockout. Find a middle ground.
Yah things are definitely trending in the wrong direction. Although they have now killed 25 straight penalties against the top two seeds in the NHL going into the playoffs, with top scorers on both teams. So it's not like they're not getting called for stuff. They're just doing a great job of bending without breaking / pressuring at the right times and places. Give credit to CLODE and Ciarelli; they've built a team specifically for the playoffs and it's working.

I don't know what it is about Boston but last 10 years, looking at the Patriots and then the Celtics, and then the Red Sox, now the Bruins... they all seem to know how to build a team that might not always be regular season dominant, but excels in the playoff environment and wins titles.

Quote:
For now the glory of the "Original Six Finals" overshadows everything but eventually any attempt to allow NJ style hockey back into the regular season will result in less fan interest. As it should. Trap hockey sucks balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Also, Jonathan Toews has 1 goal in 20 playoff games. How does that happen?
I know right? I have no answer for that except that he might be playing through an injury no one knows about.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:41 AM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
oh boy, oh boy, maybe we should just take the goalies out of the net. that could help ratings eh.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote