HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I think Nurse's comparable is Weber...He's going to be big, going to hit like a truck, and already has a boomstick.

I think he will be gone at 11, and if so...Morrissey all the way, if we can trade down and still get him. I think he will be a stellar offensive guy with good defensive game, and if he can put on some weight, he will be even better.
I think Nurse is going to be more mobile , especially laterally, than Weber.

If we had 8 i think we would have had a shot a Nurse, but at 11 there is no way.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
For defenders I am hoping for Ristolainen or Morrissey at 11. I think they are going to be better than Nurse.
I would throw Morin in there as well. A big guy that moves that well is so rare. He is light years ahead of where Chara was at his age.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

My list would be

1. Jones
3. Nurse
4. Ristolainen
5. Pulock
6. Morrissey
7. Morin
8. Meuller
9. Haag
10. Zadorov

Old
06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would throw Morin in there as well. A big guy that moves that well is so rare. He is light years ahead of where Chara was at his age.
Ehh do not really want. I think he is more Alex Plante than Chara.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
BigPapaSmurff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
My list would be

1. Jones
3. Nurse
4. Ristolainen
5. Pulock
6. Morrissey
7. Morin
8. Meuller
9. Haag
10. Zadorov
Initially, my thought is to trade down if the first 3 are gone, as getting Morrissey or Zadorov or Pulock at 20ish is a real possibility.

BUT, if those three are gone, there might be a predicted top 8 forward prospect who falls.

I'd almost rather get a F than a D because that means they definitely went BPA and not based on needs, and that's most important for me.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Ehh do not really want. I think he is more Alex Plante than Chara.
In fairness though, Morin's hockey sense and IQ is significantly higher than Plante's. Morin is going to take about 5 to 6 years though because he'll have to grow into that big frame of his first. You're probably looking at 6'8, 265 - 270 pound defender on skates though that is going to be a menace to play against once he's done growing.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaSmurff View Post
Initially, my thought is to trade down if the first 3 are gone, as getting Morrissey or Zadorov or Pulock at 20ish is a real possibility.

BUT, if those three are gone, there might be a predicted top 8 forward prospect who falls.

I'd almost rather get a F than a D because that means they definitely went BPA and not based on needs, and that's most important for me.
Unless one of the big forwards like Monahan, Lindholm, or Nichuchskin falls to 11, I think the Flyers should trade down regardless. Besides Jones, there are question marks with the remaining defensemen. Couple that with the difficultly in scouting defensemen, why not trade down and take two just in case. I would rather have Sanitini and Mueller or Morrissey and Hagg than just one of Zardorov, Nurse, or Morin.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
In fairness though, Morin's hockey sense and IQ is significantly higher than Plante's. Morin is going to take about 5 to 6 years though because he'll have to grow into that big frame of his first. You're probably looking at 6'8, 265 - 270 pound defender on skates though that is going to be a menace to play against once he's done growing.
I just want the best talent. Not the biggest coke machine.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You think you can win on talent alone?

Gentlemen, you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Haanz

Quote:
Give me a 6' 200 lbs. player whose biggest asset is hockey sense over a 6'5" 230 lbs. player whose biggest asset is size every day of the week.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haanz View Post
Give me a 6' 200 lbs. player whose biggest asset is hockey sense over a 6'5" 230 lbs. player whose biggest asset is size every day of the week.
This.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I wouldn't call Morin a coke machine though. He's definitely big, but this is a big guy that can really skate and has some talent. I wouldn't compare him to Plante at all. If anything, I'd compare him to Zdeno Chara at the same age and he's probably ahead of Chara at the same age when it comes to skating, defensive play, etc..... The one thing that really stands out about Morin and it's something that will get better with time is that because he is so big and because he's so light (he's not even 205 pounds at his height), his footwork needs a lot of work in terms of pivoting and being able to turn on a dime. He's very wide stanced and sometimes has problems with players getting around him (he was turned inside out a few times at the U18 tournament this past year). As well, even though he's big, he still hasn't filled out and he's a bit hesitant at times with the physical play. You can see the meanness there which is a plus, but because he's light and he has a high center of gravity, he can be knocked down by a forward who might be smaller in height, but with a lower center of gravity.

With that being said, Morin is a long term project for any team that takes him. As mentioned, you're looking five to six years with Morin in terms of when he'll really make an impact.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
FLYERSFAN18

One thing that catches my eye when watching Morrissey's highlights on youtube, other than the fact that he seems like a great skater, is he always seems to get the puck on net when he shoots. That is a really undervalued skill. I really like what I have seen from him. LOf course those are only highlights, so I could just be seeing only the good plays he makes

Old
06-18-2013, 01:39 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Who are you guys hoping for in the 2nd round?

Old
06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Vanelli

Old
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Lehkonen

Old
06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
A Hall of Fame defenseman

Old
06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Eric Roy - 6'2 - 180 lbs
A rocket shot. Can produce offensively. He's physical. Ryan Pulock's partner in Brandon though so he hasn't necessarily done it on his own. Look at Meszaros at the very best for his peak if he can establish himself a little more defensively. More likely closer to a healthy Bourdon or what we would expect a healthy Bourdon to play like.

Steve Santini - 6'2 - 205 lbs
Big hitter with solid positioning and body work. No real offensive aptitude though. If we're looking for a guy like Marshall (hopefully with the success that Marshall never obtained), it would be Santini. His peak would be a healthy Ryan Parent, before all the back injuries.

Madison Bowey - 6'1 - 190 lbs
Great skater and fluid with the puck. He's improved a great deal defensively during his growth as a defenseman with Kelowna. He a smarter guy who can make a big hit but would rather make the smart play.

Robert Hagg, Mirco Mueller, Ian McCoshen, Shea Theodore, Sean Morin, Chris Bigras, Nikita Zadorov, and Josh Morrissey who are above them but could in theory go anywhere.

If you consider Jones + Nurse + Ristolainen + Pulock the consensus top 4 defensemen (though there is no real consensus), there are about 10-15 awesome guys who could float around between there and 41.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Eric Roy - 6'2 - 180 lbs
A rocket shot. Can produce offensively. He's physical. Ryan Pulock's partner in Brandon though so he hasn't necessarily done it on his own. Look at Meszaros at the very best for his peak if he can establish himself a little more defensively. More likely closer to a healthy Bourdon or what we would expect a healthy Bourdon to play like.

Big hitter with solid positioning and body work. No real offensive aptitude though. If we're looking for a guy like Marshall (hopefully with the success that Marshall never obtained), it would be Santini. His peak would be a healthy Ryan Parent, before all the back injuries.

Great skater and fluid with the puck. He's improved a great deal defensively during his growth as a defenseman with Kelowna. He a smarter guy who can make a big hit but would rather make the smart play.

Robert Hagg, Mirco Mueller, Ian McCoshen, Shea Theodore, Sean Morin, Chris Bigras, Nikita Zadorov, and Josh Morrissey who are above them but could in theory go anywhere.

If you consider Jones + Nurse + Ristolainen + Pulock the consensus top 4 defensemen (though there is no real consensus), there are about 10-15 awesome guys who could float around between there and 41.
No to Eric Roy in the 2nd round. There are plenty of more talented players than him there, especially early in the 2nd. Maybe in the 3rd I would think about him, but I still wouldn't. The offense isn't there for him. He doesn't skate all that well either(moving east to west and also quickness). I watched a ton of Pulock this year, and he was partnered with him almost all the time when I watched. He really didn't impress at all. Pulock carried that pairing big time. Also Roy is more like 6'4 and not 6'2. His most impressive attribute is that size. Work ethic also is questioned at times with him.

The other two are alright, but Santini has no offense. Protoypical stay at home guy, we should look for offensive upside there at our spot.

It's a crap shoot, I could see the Flyers taking a forward there as well. We have to remember we don't really have any type of farm system right now. We have few potential players and about two players(Laughton and Cousins) who can contribute at the next level as of right now. Other than that, this cupboard is empty.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Even if it's not D, how about Lodge?

Old
06-18-2013, 02:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
No to Eric Roy in the 2nd round. There are plenty of more talented players than him there, especially early in the 2nd. Maybe in the 3rd I would think about him, but I still wouldn't. The offense isn't there for him. He doesn't skate all that well either(moving east to west and also quickness). I watched a ton of Pulock this year, and he was partnered with him almost all the time when I watched. He really didn't impress at all. Pulock carried that pairing big time. Also Roy is more like 6'4 and not 6'2. His most impressive attribute is that size. Work ethic also is questioned at times with him.

The other two are alright, but Santini has no offense. Protoypical stay at home guy, we should look for offensive upside there at our spot.

It's a crap shoot, I could see the Flyers taking a forward there as well. We have to remember we don't really have any type of farm system right now. We have few potential players and about two players(Laughton and Cousins) who can contribute at the next level as of right now. Other than that, this cupboard is empty.
I would like to get a Read, Gagne, Briere -esque winger. Someone small and shifty to move around the boards in the corners.

That kind of guy might not be hard to find at 41. I mean, basically another Akeson I guess.

We have guys like Noebels and McGinn in the pool.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Eric Roy - 6'2 - 180 lbs

I kind of want Shea theodore but we would have to move up to get him which i have no problem doing.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
I would like to get a Read, Gagne, Briere -esque winger. Someone small and shifty to move around the boards in the corners.

That kind of guy might not be hard to find at 41. I mean, basically another Akeson I guess.

We have guys like Noebels and McGinn in the pool.
I would actually like us to get bigger on the wings, not smaller. Moving Schenn to left wing could help, but even if that does happen I would look to get another big bodied winger.

Edit: look at the success that Boston and LA have had the last 3 years or so. Both of them have big skilled wingers and have been in the Cup finals the last 3 years

Old
06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I would actually like us to get bigger on the wings, not smaller. Moving Schenn to left wing could help, but even if that does happen I would look to get another big bodied winger.

Edit: look at the success that Boston and LA have had the last 3 years or so. Both of them have big skilled wingers and have been in the Cup finals the last 3 years
I would love to add Lucic and Marchand to the Flyers. (Small and big, but tough.)

Now, the question is whether we can find them.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:33 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
I would love to add Lucic and Marchand to the Flyers.

Now, the question is whether we can find them.
Easier said than done, I know. But that is the way I would look to build my team if I was GM.

Closed Thread