HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I'm on the don't trade Read for Bernier team. Offer sheet him or nothing.
As long as LA extends the contract of Matt Read, Read for Bernier makes a ton of sense for both teams. I know everyone loves Read and what he brings, but You have to wonder can the Flyers sign him beyond this season? Bernier fills a need once Bryzgalov is bought out. I honestly am not crazy about most of the options on the free agent market this season.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:24 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
As long as LA extends the contract of Matt Read, Read for Bernier makes a ton of sense for both teams. I know everyone loves Read and what he brings, but You have to wonder can the Flyers sign him beyond this season? Bernier fills a need once Bryzgalov is bought out. I honestly am not crazy about most of the options on the free agent market this season.
I think we have ZERO chance of keeping Read as he will get 3-4 million per year imo. A Read for Bernier deal straight up makes perfect sense for both teams.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Ugh.

Matt Read is too important to move for another young goalie, unless the team is already certain that they can't get him re-signed.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Unfortunately Read will be a Salary Cap casualty regardless so it would behoove us to move him while he has value and a low cap hit. He's already 27, which while not old at all, isn't as nice as guys like Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Laughton, and Coots, all of whom still have potential to improve, while I think we have basically seen the best of (while still good) Read that we will see.

I really like Read but I just don't see him taking a discount on his first opportunity to get paid to stay in Philadelphia. He was an excellent find by the front office and really helped out offensively and cost wise but unfortunately now that we are in a salary cap world this is a move that financially and logistically needs to happen, be it for Bernier or whoever.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:37 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostradamus View Post
Unfortunately Read will be a Salary Cap casualty regardless so it would behoove us to move him while he has value and a low cap hit. He's already 27, which while not old at all, isn't as nice as guys like Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Laughton, and Coots, all of whom still have potential to improve, while I think we have basically seen the best of (while still good) Read that we will see.

I really like Read but I just don't see him taking a discount on his first opportunity to get paid to stay in Philadelphia. He was an excellent find by the front office and really helped out offensively and cost wise but unfortunately now that we are in a salary cap world this is a move that financially and logistically needs to happen, be it for Bernier or whoever.
Add Voracek to that list. I think people often forget that he's so young (23, turns 24 in August) cause he's now got 5 NHL seasons under his belt but both Simmonds and Giroux are older. I agree with what you're saying I just wanted to add that.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Well...

Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (7.50) - Voracek (4.25)
Schenn (3.00) - Couturier (3.00) - Simmonds (3.98)
Gagne (2.75) - Laughton (0.93) - Read (4.50)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Holmstrom (0.75) - Talbot (1.75)
Rosehill (0.68)

Streit (5.25) - Coburn (4.50)
Gustafsson (1.00) - Schenn (3.60)
Gostisbehere (0.93) - Grossmann (3.50)
Lauridsen (0.60)

Mason (3.00)
TBD (1.50)

TOTAL: 62.47
CAP: 64.30+ (cap will rise by then)
SPACE: 01.38+

It's totally doable. The biggest concern would be Voracek's UFA contract 2 years later. If you could re-sign Read to a 2-year deal at 4.5m then that would work out perfectly. However, that's not going to fly.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Curufinwe

Read is only a cap casualty if there's some other free agent they want to sign instead of him. If they want to keep him, they can.

Old
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Read's versatility is hard to replace..always need a player like him on a team. I'm on the fence about giving him up for Bernier..

Old
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Read's versatility is hard to replace..always need a player like him on a team. I'm on the fence about giving him up for Bernier..
me too. I wish that contract was a 5 year contract. Best in the league if you ask me.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well...

Rosehill (0.68)

Lauridsen (0.60)

Mason (3.00)
TBD (1.50)

It's totally doable. The biggest concern would be Voracek's UFA contract 2 years later. If you could re-sign Read to a 2-year deal at 4.5m then that would work out perfectly. However, that's not going to fly.
Read in no way cost 4.5. I think he is worth 3m so he'll prolly get a little more. And where is timmonen? Ghost won't be ready for this season either and prolly not the next either.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
If your under the assumption that he is leaving after this year, or not worth the 4+ million to keep him, trading for Bernier isn't that terrible of a move. Having a goalie off between Bernier and Mason is a little bizarre though.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
Read in no way cost 4.5. I think he is worth 3m so he'll prolly get a little more. And where is timmonen? Ghost won't be ready for this season either and prolly not the next either.
I'm working under the estimation that Read will want a UFA payday. God knows he hasn't gotten paid yet. 4.5m makes sense.

Timonen has retired.

Gostisbehere is not ready for this year, but two years from now? Maybe.

This is a plan for two years down the road; whether or not we can re-sign Read.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well...

Rosehill (0.68)

Lauridsen (0.60)

Mason (3.00)
TBD (1.50)

That goaltending and defense is brutal

Old
06-18-2013, 12:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Ugh.

Matt Read is too important to move for another young goalie, unless the team is already certain that they can't get him re-signed.
another young goalie? right now after Mason and assuming that Bryzgalov gets bought out, the Flyers have no one who is ready to step in and play at the NHL level.
Once again dont get me wrong, I like Matt Read and I know what he brings to the club but I just dont think we can bring him back next offseason. Next offseason unless someone is getting traded the Flyers will need to sign Giroux,Schenn and Couturier.
Not enough money to resign Read IMO.

Old
06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
That goaltending and defense is brutal
Which is why I don't believe Read can feasibly be had on this roster without sacrificing talent on defense/goaltending. In fairness the cap will go up after this year but I think with the amount of young talent we have on this team we should be fine offensively, at least enough so to invest Read's money into the defense or net.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Not sure how much I really buy into this statement but if he's serious then I'm not really interested.
Quote:
@tpanotchCSN Flyers would move Matt Read in a deal for Bernier. But Kings would likely want Jakub Voracek as main piece - speed, scoring.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostradamus View Post
not sure how much i really buy into this statement but if he's serious then i'm not really interested.
lulz

You want Voracek? We want Doughty. Guess nobody gets what they want.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

They can't be serious. Voracek had more points than any of their other players and they want him for a goalie that mostly plays sheltered minutes (only 62 games to boot)? **** that...

Old
06-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think we have ZERO chance of keeping Read as he will get 3-4 million per year imo. A Read for Bernier deal straight up makes perfect sense for both teams.
I agree keeping Read will be tough...but why trade him for something we already have? Mason showed a lot of promise last year, if you wanna mold a goalie for the future just start there...use Read to bring in a young Dman.

Both Mason and Bernier are itching to be starters...I know people think having both of them here will make them "push each other", but I imagine neither goalie will be happy with that situation.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:14 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Not sure how much I really buy into this statement but if he's serious then I'm not really interested.
No surprise there. everyone want Voracek. He is too important to move

Old
06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I agree keeping Read will be tough...but why trade him for something we already have? Mason showed a lot of promise last year, if you wanna mold a goalie for the future just start there...use Read to bring in a young Dman.

Both Mason and Bernier are itching to be starters...I know people think having both of them here will make them "push each other", but I imagine neither goalie will be happy with that situation.
I'd rather trade Read for a 1st unless the d-man coming back was someone like Beaulieu.

I would want someone not NHL ready for this point for Read because I think putting Gustafsson back in the AHL would do more harm than good.

I like the idea of trading Read for a 1st, drafting two defensemen in the 1st, signing Gagne, and moving on from there.

Bernier? Nah. I'll offer a 2nd+++, but I don't think I'm giving up Read, let alone Voracek haha.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Mason had a very small sample size and played also when the Flyers as a team actually didn't play that bad. If we do buyout Bryz, I'm afraid to just ride with Mason to be honest. He's capable of doing well, but the guarantee is still pretty small. I think someone like Bernier could break out with us, and he wouldn't cost that much either.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

The fact that voracek has come up. I want to walk away from all this talk now of read and bernier.

I want nothing to do with it now.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I'm against trading Read for a goalie. I just do not see the value there. I would start with a 2nd round pick and add a pick or two from there. I would trade Read for an NHL ready defenseman or an upgrade at the wing position

Old
06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Mason had a very small sample size and played also when the Flyers as a team actually didn't play that bad. If we do buyout Bryz, I'm afraid to just ride with Mason to be honest. He's capable of doing well, but the guarantee is still pretty small. I think someone like Bernier could break out with us, and he wouldn't cost that much either.
Bernier is essentially just as much of a toss up as Mason is. He has never started more than 22 games in a season...at least Mason has the experience of being a full time starter.

I agree they should not go all in on Mason, but why give up value for another young goalie when you already have one? I'd much rather see a vet come in that can start 40 games if he needs to and not give anything up. At least in that scenario, Mason can see a future here and play as motivated as at the end of last season.

Closed Thread